Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So I know jack-poo poo about video editing, but I'm trying to teach myself. This video is the first thing I've edited in years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ9X_8rOEQ

I don't know how to export it and put it on youtube without it looking like crap. You can especially see what I mean at the very end with the Twitter and subscribe logos. They're super blurry, but aren't like that while editing.

Any beginner tips to get better at making video essays like this one? I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 on a crappy, three year old laptop.

Also, this doesn't quite fall under this thread's purview, but I have an audio recording issue. I use a Blue Yeti and it sounds great with my headphones plugged into my mic, through the speakers, and through my phone, but like complete garbage through my laptop's headphone port. I don't know if it's just my laptop's port or if a big chunk of viewers will think the audio sounds like crap. And it's just my recorded audio that sounds like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

Awesome tips!

Thanks so much! I'm not at my PC so I don't know what settings I was using, but I'll definitely try this as soon as I get home. The buttons were big pngs I think. I just dragged them into the library from the folder I saved them into.
Thanks again!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

You did a good job piecing together that video, by the way. It was well done.

Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing. All I've ever edited were some animations and comedy sketches years ago.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

Then click 'Export'. Then that's it. :)

So I've tried this a couple times. I haven't tried uploading it to youtube yet, because when it finished exporting I can't play the file in VLC or Windows media player. Is that normal?

Also when I click Use Maximum Render Quality it always flips the Preset back from Youtube 1080p to custom. Don't know if I should be worried about that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

VLC should play just about everything, so that definitely isn't normal. What kind of error is it giving you?

It's an MP4 and VLC says "VLC can't recognize the input's format". No error code or anything.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

It sounds like your Premiere Pro's exported video was corrupted, somehow. I've had this happen to me, especially when I've been working on a lot of videos with a lot of clips, causing my Media Cache to get bloated.

What you'll want to do is delete Premiere Pro's Media Cache. I've found that this sometimes fixes any off export issues that I run into. this video explains how to clear the Media Cache. Once you've done that, try to Export again.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance. Maybe later tonight.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

It sounds like your Premiere Pro's exported video was corrupted, somehow. I've had this happen to me, especially when I've been working on a lot of videos with a lot of clips, causing my Media Cache to get bloated.

What you'll want to do is delete Premiere Pro's Media Cache. I've found that this sometimes fixes any off export issues that I run into. this video explains how to clear the Media Cache. Once you've done that, try to Export again.

This worked! Thank you!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks to the advice in this thread I launched my new Youtube channel and it was featured on The AV Club! Thank you all!
http://www.avclub.com/article/pocket-history-robin-williams-wisecracking-genie-a-239895

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You guys gave me such good advice for my last video, I thought I'd ask again before I publish this. Any tips or notes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6VtCDr6ZGc

EDIT: Fixed link

Unmature fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 3, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whenever I use titles in Adobe Premiere it looks like crap to me. They always come out kinda fuzzy and not as sharp as other videos look. Is there a way I can do them differently to make them look sharper? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRHgq0TtLSk I think the card at the end looks particularly bad. Would just doing them larger in photoshop rather than using the title tool be better?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm editing a video I shot on my iPhone 6s in Premiere Pro on my lovely Windows laptop. It is friggin' chugging. I can't get ten seconds of the video to play in the preview window without freezing. The videos play fine in VLC and Windows Media Player, but as soon as I try and edit them it goes to poo poo. Is there a way to help this? Like have them lower quality while editing, but still able to export them in HD?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

Right-click > render and replace

Trying it now. The progress bar has been frozen at about 30% for ten minutes.

EDIT: Now it keeps saying encoder failure.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 31, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

Make sure that you're viewing it in the lowest possible quality. It's a drop-down option on the record monitor, the options read like 'Full' '1/2' '1/3' '1/4'. It won't entirely solve it but it should help a little.

This sorta helps, thanks. Still a pain in the rear end. This is getting really frustrating.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

How much footage do you have? Is it all still in the MP4 codec from the phone?

I haven't changed anything about the files. Just downloaded them from iCloud. I have 23 clips that vary between a few seconds to several minutes. And I have three audio clips that are a few minutes each.

I'm a total editing noob. Practically everything I've ever edited is on my YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/cartoons101

Unmature
May 9, 2008

1st AD posted:

It's entirely possible your editing hardware stinks and can't keep up.

That is exactly the problem, but I'm asking if there's a way to work around that. When I edit other stuff it works fine.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

Edit: I realize I just described what a proxy is, but you know...wanted to drive the point home.

Please, drive it all the way home. Like I said, total noob here. Those five videos on my channel are all I've made!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Question about Premiere proxies:

I recorded video and audio from separate sources with the intention of piecing them together. What's the cleanest and easiest way to do this with proxies?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So, I'm going to get a new computer to help with editing. I've been recommended this one for my budget: https://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-...lectrum+Desktop

Any thoughts?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Soulex posted:

Should be plenty IMO. I edit on a Mac because I just like them and their OSX better. If you want to go that route, look into a refurbished MacBook Pro. My buddy got one and swiped the HD out for an SSD with 16gig of RAM and After Effects opened up like it was an app. It was crazy.

I'd much prefer a Mac, just can't afford it right now.

BonoMan posted:

Looks kind of like poo poo?

In non-snarky answers, you'll need to back up and tell us what kind of editing you need to do and what your deliverables are, etc.

What's your budget?

Trying to stick to around $4-500. My editing isn't heavy duty or anything, but I'd like to learn more stuff. My current laptop can't handle poo poo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any good free resources to start really learning to edit? I'll get into Lynda and stuff, but first I'd like to find a good place for exercises and lessons on the cheap.

Basically make me KaptainKristian for free.

EDIT:
Cool, this looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every time I'm working on a new video I find a new thing to piss me off.

I'm trying to edit MKVs, which you can't do in Premiere Pro, so you have to convert them to MP4s. Everywhere says to do that with VLC. When I convert them, they play fine in VLC, but when I import them into Premiere they have a big green line at the bottom of them. Is there anything I can do to fix this besides just zooming in on them? I guess I could just make a black bar over them, but I'd rather it not have that at all.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are you on Mac? If so, handbrake should do it.

Nah, PC

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yup, Handbrake seems to have done it. Thanks, guys!

Woop, oh wait. The free version only let's you convert 1/3 of the video length.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The one I downloaded said it was a trial and I needed to register, and it looked like the only way to register was to buy it. I could have maybe downloaded a trial for the premium version by accident or something.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

hepatitis C

That was from a different thing, but did coincidentally involve a handbrake.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can't find a great example of it right now, so I'll edit this post if I do. For now there's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98yXiD6T9ag

I see videos all the time that have images and clips move around fluidly, but when I do it it always looks janky and low frame rate. Is there a way to more cleanly do transitions into clips in Adobe Premiere Pro? I make video essays, so I'm always looking for interesting ways to transition between clips. My new video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCK-4S7EHbA. I don't like the way the still images transition between each other, it always feels janky and lame to me but I feel like I'm doing some of the same techniques I see in flashier video channels.

Also if anyone has some good resources for learning to make better video essays I'd love some. I've gotten some good links from this thread in the past.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there a video editing reason to use a computer monitor over an HDTV? I need a new monitor and might just go for a TV since they're cheaper and don't seem to be that different settings-wise.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

WebDog posted:

Monitors can have wider colour gamuts. A HDTV is often locked off at colourspace called Rec.709.

Basically you can't broadcast 1:1 colour information as it's too much info. So the full range is limited to a middle ground that is palatable.

But many consumer cameras will shoot in 709 as it's much faster to process the bare minimum of colour ranges than the whole lot. And it saves on data.

If you're just cutting YouTube stuff or holiday videos then an HDTV isn't going to be a major issue. But there are some caveats.

Professionally we use monitors calibrated to 709 to test how our footage would look as ungraded footage is often grey before we pass it through a look up table to make it look "right".

We swap back to the full range for accuracy in grading and finishing. Despite finishing in 709 for most things if we tried to grade 709 straight, you'll run into issues as the colour ranges are limited and clipped. Blacks will look too black etc etc and can't get lifted.

However nothing wrong with using a TV for external display if you're cutting consumer stuff. But you have to realise you may also have scaling issues as most graphic cards will struggle to output over 3K smoothly so the image may be blown up.

And then working out how to calibrate the TV to look correct as most try to pretty up their image with sharpness or frame interpolation.

Very informative, thank you!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I ended up getting a Dell monitor for 35 bucks from a nice dude on Craigslist. I'll see how it works when my computer gets here. (Shipped it because I just moved across the country, hence the needing a new monitor)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What's a good safe program to convert MKV to an Adobe friendly filetype like MP4? Whenever I try it through VLC it doesn't work.

Just tried through VLC again and it just spits out an mp4 that only plays sound.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 21, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I still use Handbrake, just be aware that it has this annoying quirk of by default setting the output frame rate to variable (seriously wtf?) and a crop. Just set everything up same as source and 0 in the video panel and you're good to go.

Thank you! I always forget Handbrake.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
In Premiere if I keep pulling from the same big clip in my source window I have to keep resizing every part I pull into the timeline. Is there an option so I don't have to do this every time? Or do I just need to resize it and export the whole thing and use that in my source?

Hope that makes sense.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ok this is a very specific question. I edit in Premiere (learning After Effects) and I can't seem to figure out how some people pan an image like this that looks that natural. Maybe my eyes are tricking me, but I like how it kind of comes to a softer stop. Like it's moving at one speed and slows down a bit at the end. Like the Battletoad thing here where it should start automatically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv38xOVgd5I&t=169s

Is it just moving the image and making a whole new motion option for the last second? Seems like there's an easier answer than that. All my image pans just kinda slam to a stop.

And again, I could just be seeing it wrong and it's stopping the same way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

webmeister posted:

It's really easy actually! Just right-click on your start keyframe and choose Temporal Interpolation -> Ease Out, then right-click the end keyframe and choose Temporal Interpolation -> Ease In.

Whoa that is easy. Thanks!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
When I open After Effects I get a warning about the hard drive where the cache is being stored is almost full. It has about 21 gigs left, but my other one has like 600. How do I switch the cache over? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the whole program on that drive?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've asked a similar question like this before, but now I have a better example. I want to create sliding image transitions as natural and smooth as the ones in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mdgdg8hwuM

I even clipped it and tried doing it directly over it with an image I had lying around with the same number of frames and Ease In and Ease Out

What can I do to match that slide?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I'm phone posting, but essentially ease in/out only get you so far. You can edit the curves in the graph editor to get more responsive eases.

Or go get Motion 2 from Mt. Mograph and change your world!

I was messing with velocity earlier and I like what I was able to do but don't love it. Gonna look into Motion 2, thanks!

EDIT: ah, that pack is for After Effects. I have been finally learning that lately but right now I'm trying to figure out smoother transitions in Premiere.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 9, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Every loving goddamn time I export this one video from Premiere Pro it starts one of the audio tracks with a quick scratchy click sound that is not at all in the actual track and I can't figure out WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Did you accidentally bake it into the clip by doing that merge effects tool?

I just dropped it into the timeline. Gonna mess around with it tonight and maybe upload a piece of it to show you guys