Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I have a question I've been surfing around the web for in hopes of finding an answer. Maybe someone on here will know. It's pretty particular.

One of my editors decided to add some of his own plugins into a sequence file for FCP. They look good, but for the purposes of exporting a rough cut so I can send it over to my sound editor, I can't export it out without first rendering the plugin clips. To make matters worse, I don't have the plugins, so that means that I can't render and export this crap unless a) I get the plugins or b) He does it. He's not very good with follow-through, so I have no idea where the hell he is and I really need to export this sometime soon.

Plain and simple, is there any way to remove plugins from clips in a sequence? I'm fairly new to fcp so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

bassguitarhero posted:

Depending on the plugins, they'll either be laid out on top of the clips directly, just like cross dissolves, or they'll be added to a bit of slug sitting on top of the clips (some BorisFX plugins do this). If you find the spot where the plugin is working you shouldn't have a problem finding it.

Sometimes when I'm editing, especially in reels, I wind up nesting sequences to keep things a little more clean, so if you don't find the plugin directly, maybe the sequence is nested, in which case you could double click on the sequence and see if that opens up another one.

Or, if you know where the effect is happening, you should be able to right click/ctrl+click on the clip and open in viewer, then go to your filters and tab and look for it in there.

Sounds good. I don't have a mac personally, so I'll have to take my external hd with the footage into work tomorrow and try it out. I wonder how long 19 mins of footage will take to export from a hard drive. :(

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
What's a good, light export setting in fcp for a rough cut? I need to send it to someone online

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

HopWallace posted:

How long is the cut? If it's just for someone to preview, you can't go wrong with H.264 at, say, 2000kbits/sec. That's probably the most common compression for web.

Bout 19 mins. I went with 720p and it says it's going to take an hour. Dunno if I should can it for something that'll take less time.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Planning a second short film soon.

This is a link to the first short I did.

http://vimeo.com/26647636

I did the editing and color correction for it. Would love some opinions on the two so that I can work the criticism into my next project, which will be a lot more demanding.

Sound is also going to be much more significant this time around.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

MixMasterGriff posted:

I don't want to sound rude, but that synopsis is really goddamn pretentious.

Would it make any difference if I said I didn't intend it to be? :)

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Yes, the different producer titles confuse me.

That's really good to know. Thank you!

And I'll try and rewrite the synopsis. Thanks for the tip. :)

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

FLX posted:

A couple of things I noticed:
- Your production-design needs more attention! Especially your props look way too "clean" and out of place.

- Your color grading just looks desaturated. Be bolder there and really try to create a special look for your film. Also it seemed that you unnecessarily crushed a lot of blacks (and maybe clipped some whites), but that might just be my tablet screen.

- The sound design sounded very nice through my iPod headphones.

We just played it through a local theater and I was surprised by the amount of people that liked the sound.

You're right, the color grading was mostly desaturated. I'm planning something a bit more demanding with my next short involving color isolation.

It'll also be nice working on a brighter set the second time around. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I've been thinking about the D7000 for video, does it do most of what you need it to?

I'm also curious about the D7000. How does it hold up to a higher-line DSLR like the 7D? Is it worth it to go further than the D7000? I mean, it is a DSLR...so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I suppose I could grab an LCD screen add-on.

Right now I'm deciding between my own editing software and a Mac or my first camera. I personally like editing more but...it seems like it will cost me a fortune while I'm moving into my first apartment in November.