Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ignore this, wrong topic.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

can you go wider and just stabilize in post

I'd rather not lose any more resolution than absolutely necessary. The camera doesn't shoot higher than 4K and I want the upload to be as close as possible to actual 4K resolution, even if youtube inherently robs it of some detail.

I've also realized I probably posted this in the wrong topic, given this is the post production thread. Oops. I'm going to fix that.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 3, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So once again I seek to expand my video editing horizons and have run into a snag. I recently picked up a 4k HDR monitor and now I want to start editing my footage in HDR but near as I can tell Premiere (which I've been using) doesn't support displaying HDR while you edit it. This means it's almost impossible to get an accurate HDR grade out of it.

I've heard DaVinci Resolve is much better for this sort of thing but before I drop the money on the studio version I use warp stabilizer all the time in Premiere and I've heard there are issues with Resolve's equivalent. Anyone have options on how Resolve's stabilization options stack up against Premiere and how Resolve is for editing in general? I've heard it's superior for color correction and grading but that it can be a pain in the rear end for editing.

Edit: for reference here's some footage I've edited into HDR in Premiere. Yes, I know it's not right but that's the problem with not being able to tell what your output will look like when you edit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVMMDZqVuw

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2020

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

d0grent posted:

I've just encountered a weird issue I don't think I've ever seen before:

I have a 59.94 fps clip inside a 59.94 timeline (in Premiere) but when I go frame by frame, the clip only appears to update every 2 frames - as if it were 29.976 fps. Anyone have any idea what would cause this? I put the clip in After effects as well and the same thing happens.

So interestingly I'm having this same problem in a few clips, only I recorded them from the A7SIII externally on a Ninja V in prores raw. I shot a bunch of footage on the same day, but only the last two clips I shot have this issue, and nothing I've shot since has had it. Let me know if you figure this out because it's got me stumped too.

Edit: I tried re-importing the footage to a fresh project and still have the exact same issue. I found this youtube video where a guy was having a similar problem with the HDMI output not matching the output setting, but that isn't my issue because I had both the HDMI output and the record format framerate set to 60 (59.94).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLvZfnmvFLA

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 19, 2021

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone know of a good way to sharpen video in Premiere that doesn't either take forever or drop the color depth?

The built in unsharp mask filter is 8 bit so it drops color depth to 8 bit when you apply it to footage. I'm working with 12 bit prores raw for 10 bit 4:2:2 hdr delivery so I can't use that.

I've been using Neat Video because it has a built in sharpening filter which works with 12 bit color, but sucks because it makes my rendering take 3-5x as long as using unsharp mask.

I shoot a lot of night footage so I'd be using neat video anyway on that, but for daylight footage where I don't need to denoise I'd like to find a faster solution.