Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I have a question regarding editing. (I've been editing for 9 years and a half and am still trash :v: ) I read somewhere that x264/5 is terrible for editing, and using 'editing codec' files (like Lagarith, which I'm aware of) is better. Does this mean the stress load on PC performance will be smaller if I use .avi files Lagarith? And is there a good and easy way to transcode said files to said codec without much hassle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yes, using codecs suited to your editing software is best and I'd avoid h264 and definitely not h265. What OS and editing software are you using and why do you want to use that codec over say prores or dnx out of interest?

There are several good and free options for transcoding, davinci resolve is the thread favourite (although people have reported issues opening h265).

Windows 10, Magix Vegas 16 (rip Sony). I take it you're recommending these codecs out of personal experience?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

BonoMan posted:

ProRes has been the standard editing on Macs (it's an Apple/Final Cut codec) and DNxHD on the PCs (it's an AVID codec) for years. With the latest Adobe CC update though, ProRes is finally (widespread and officially) on PCs.

But if you're not using Adobe's suite then just stick with DNxHD codecs.

I see, thanks a lot for the advice. Hopefully this makes my work a bit easier.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

Does anyone know how to do a basic morph effect in Sony Vegas 14? Do I need a plugin for that, and where can I get such a plugin? It's incredibly difficult to find information about this for some reason.

Is this what you want? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YykZ5a_R7Gk