Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Teenage Fansub posted:

FCPX, Motion and Compressor are up now on the app store.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
Anyone willing to take the plunge and report back on it?

We will most likely buy a test copy today so I can give a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

magiccarpet posted:

gently caress, gently caress, gently caress this software. It is unusable.

This. We all used it today and there is a laundry list of missing features that any one of which is a deal breaker for our production environment. The word we kept using was 'astonished' because we couldn't believe how bad this thing is. And the fact that they keep saying 'IT WILL STILL WORK WITH FCP7!' but yet you can't buy it is loving ridiculous.

Today has validated THREE years of my campaigning that we should switch back to Avid because Apple only cares about iDevices. To quote Dr. Ian Malcom: "Boy, do I hate being right all the time."

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am mostly going to cross post from what in the Mac Software thread with some more detail for this thread.

Well, we have been waiting for 2 years since FCP7, which was a minor update to FCP6 from 2007. The FCP camp is getting really impatient with Apple because there has been a real lag in updates and support while Avid and Adobe are killing with it price cuts, new features, and camera support. So Apple swears up and down we are going to love the new FCP! Then they ship something that does not have the following features:
  • Open/import an FCP 6 or 7 project
  • Open or an export an EDL/XML
  • Control a tape deck
  • Zero OMF support
  • RED / Sony / Canon Codecs
  • 3rd Party Hardware
Any one of those features is a deal breaker for our production environment, much like essentially any other post house out there. While I agree that tapeless is the future, you can not ditch it now and expect everyone to be ok with it.

Since we get a huge discount with Avid, we are going to pitch moving to the REAL platform of professionals, where the company actually listens to the user base and ships finished and throughly tested products.

So the quick rundown is that right now with FCPX, you can't bounce to Pro Tools for audio via OMF, you can't do color correction via FCPX because it doesn't support 3rd party monitors so you can't use a color accurate monitor AND you can't send it out to another system because it won't export XML/EDL. Which means that anyone not shooting wedding videos and actually considers themselves professionals can't finish their show/film. It is a loving joke.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
My coworker found an interesting bug in FCP X today. If you import video into FCP X, no matter what you do to it, After Effects will not open it complaining about some Unicode error. It seems that FCP X adds meta data to the file that AE can't read, and refuses to import it. Even converting the video after import using QT7 or Compressor still won't allow AE to open it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

1st AD posted:

Is this video that's transcoded within FCPX? Because I have some clips that were ingested from FCP7 in a current FCPX project and they work in After Effects CS5. I also don't see any evidence that the clips were modified (going off the date modified field in Finder).

Yeah they were imported directly with FCPX from a T2i. The files converted to ProRes in FCP6 work just fine.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
You can also try MPEGStream Clip which can change containers and re-encode as well.

http://www.squared5.com/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

1st AD posted:

http://imgur.com/7SiqC

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? I've had random glitches due to Lion + the Radeon 6970 2gb card, could this be why Color fails to display a proper proxy image here?

There are a lot of reports of graphical issues on Lion, especially with ATI graphics, so most likely that is the culprit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone know why my footage is coming out 2 stops lighter when I export from after effects? I'm editing in Final Cut, I export a 10 second chunk to do some stuff to in AE, then export lossless and put back into Final Cut and the footage is 2 stops lighter. I'm working on a project now with a black jacket on a black background so it's REALLY noticable. I'm colour correcting it to deal for the time being but I haven't noticed that issue with stuff being exported re-imported from Final Cut before so I assume it's AE, but I just don't know.

I asked my co-worker and he wants to know if you exporting from Final Cut in h264. He said that is a known issue because everything becomes washed out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

WebDog posted:

If you're looking for free pro orientated editing software give Lightworks a whirl.

This is pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

THE HORSES rear end posted:

A friend of mine wants to take a course on FCPX from Apple offered here:

http://theeditcenter.com/

I tried to explain to him that this might be like paying a lot of money for a boarding ticket on the Titanic, but he's adamant about "making connections". He's an older guy and just doesn't understand where the industry is headed.

I suggested a course in Adobe Premiere. Is there anything similar to theeditcenter.com that focuses on Adobe instead of FCP?

EDIT: Looking at the site, it seems that Apple is trying to create a new generation of pros who use FCPX. I hope my friends instincts (and Apple's) are right.

Try as they might, the industry is going elsewhere. There was a big defection profiled a couple of weeks ago, and I sincerely doubt Hollywood is going back to FCP. I work for a big university, and we are moving to Avid from FCP next year, and we are not alone. FCPX has some really good features, but Apple has been pissing us (enterprise and education) off for years now, and we've just had enough.

FCPX: Great for 'professionals' with cheap DSLR's that need to edit that wedding video.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Are there any similar courses for Adobe Premiere that I could recommend to my friend in lieu of FCPX?

EDIT: I think he's more concerned with making connections than with skills that are currently useful. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I can't recommend anything similar involving Premiere. I was hoping if you gys could.

Depending on your proximity to their locations, FMC has excellent training for almost any pro app. I'v done their intro Avid and FCP classes, and some of my coworkers did Color and After Effects and we've all been really happy with them.

http://www.fmctraining.com/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I know this is more IT focused, but have you guys had issues with Media Composer 5 and Active Directory accounts on a Mac? I am running MC5.5 on a couple of Mac Pros on SL, and when I try to launch it with an AD account, it can't find the shared users directory, so it crashes out. The best I can tell, it is because the file path is hard coded to be a relative path (one level up from user home), and my AD plugin makes it /Users/local/ADS/$userhome. Local users (both standard and admin) work fine.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
So I installed FCP7 on ML today and the Mac App Store will not update it. Instead, it tells me that FCP X and Compressor 4 are the only available updates. I guess Apple has made that pretty clear.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

bassguitarhero posted:

I did all my FCP7 updates through software update, not the app store. Im still on snow leopard tho, so I'm not sure if ML has that function still

It doesn't. The only way to update software is through the Mac App Store. So I launched FCP7, and then noticed that FCP X was installed too. I didn't install it, but I launched it, it updated itself, and then broke FCP7. Very interesting indeed.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Moon Potato posted:

I reinstalled FCP7 after upgrading to a computer with Lion, and it still updated through software update. The updates are usually titled something like "Pro Apps Update" instead of mentioning the program by name, though.

Right. Mountain Lion gets rid of the old Software Update app and only will let you update through the Mac App store. I manually downloaded the Pro Apps updates and they still work fine. I traced FCP crashing to the AJA Kona drivers I installed, so I really can't throw Apple under the bus there. :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Yip Yips posted:

(borderline hardware forum question incoming)

I spend a lot of time rendering so I'm wondering if there are any cost effective ways to cut down rendering times. A $3,000 system is out of my budget but something like a RAID array may be possible if it's worth implementing. Currently using Premiere on a PC.

Fortunately I'm well-versed in hardware. I just don't know what bottlenecks rendering typical runs into and what kind of improvement I stand to gain.

Thanks!

A raid won't make your rendering faster. You need cores and ram. If you are using Adobe CS5 or newer, a CUDA card (Geforce or Quadro/Telsa) may help you out too. Neither of these options are cheap though.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Yip Yips posted:

I see. Right now I'm using an i7-860 with 8gb RAM. I have an ATI card for the moment because I purchased it before I started editing, but I'm going to be picking up an Nvidia card of some sort for sure. Do you happen to know anything about my edited questions?

And thanks, I appreciate it.

I am not an editor, so I don't want to post any bad info. I do, however, support video editing and 3D graphics from an IT standpoint. The 3D boxes I built for my consulting client are dual socket Xeons, with 6 cores a pop, 48Gb of ram, and a Geforce GTX 580. The 6 series GF cards (Kepler) on the market do not have the compute performance of the older Fermi (4xx and 5xx) cards, which is why you saw benchmarks suggesting that. IIRC, Nvidia lowered the clockrate and doubled the CUDA cores on the 6 series, so its about a wash or a bit slower than a 580. Big Kepler isn't out yet, and might only be in Quadro/Tesla cards that are due later this year.

Don't go nuts and drop $500+ on a Nvidia card before you know for sure it will help. Are you rendering in Premiere? Or are we talking After Effects or another app?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BonoMan posted:

Interested to know why you go with a GeForce card instead of a Quadro card when you're outfitting your guys with Xeons and 48gigs of RAM. And I'm not phrasing that sarcastically...I'm actually interested as it's something unique to a situation that I'm about to run into.

Because there are only minor, or no, hardware differences between Geforce and Quadro cards, and for the application (3D Studio Max), there is no tangible benefit to a $2000 Quadro over a $500 Geforce one. In other apps, like Pro Engineer / Wildfire, there are tremendous gains using the Quadro drivers, so it's highly dependent on the application.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Is anyone doing any DCP encodes/playback? I'm looking into it because we don't have HDCAM (SR) decks which are a common requirement for festivals. Also, a couple of our faculty members have DCP conversions and we can't play them back. I think it would be a better screening alternative than our workable but problematic Blu-Ray method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Thanks so much!