Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Captain Apollo posted:

Are there any good plugins for doing titles and text based things?

Thanks!!

I'm looking for this as well, starting to do some video work for my job and really need to step up the look of titles and captions. Is there a consensus advice or good youtube tutorials that come to mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

BonoMan posted:

What software are you working in and do you have a good touchstone for the level of titles you're looking to get to?

I use MisterHorse Animation Composer a *lot* - it's basically a free framework for Premiere or After Effects that offers purchasable packs of titles/lower thirds/transitions etc:

https://misterhorse.com/

Great for corporate video stuff where you need to drop in and go.

He's also got some other useful tools in there.

For higher end stuff I tend to follow VideoCoPilot.net and Andrew Kramer (the founder). He is more of a VFX guy, but there's a ton (i mean TON) of useful videos on his site that offer a wide array of techniques you'll want to incorporate into your portfolio.

AEScripts.com has plugins for AE and PP that are invaluable. Prices vary but there's lots of good titling and text stuff similar to the MisterHorse offerings.

I do this poo poo daily so hit me up with any Qs!

This is fantastic, I really appreciate it. Im using Premiere at the moment, and just getting a handle on speeding up my workflow and editing. Anything AE related makes me feel like my head is gonna explode, and I don't think that we need anything on that level just yet, but Ive got the CC subscription and might as well learn it for sometime down the road. Here's a sample of something that we'd like to get to eventually (not song lyrics, but intensive and visually interesting captions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbEuyMAstg which I'm sure is child's play for anybody who does this for real.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
I checked the last few pages of this thread and didn't see it, so hopefully this hasn't been asked too many times before and is kosher for this thread:

I get to update my 2017 MBP this year at work. Is there a good argument for a refurb M1 Max with more unified memory and a 4TB drive vs an M2 max with less? I do 4k video editing (mostly single camera), live-streaming, audio, stills, adobe suite, that sort of thing for reference and I'm hoping to future proof a little better than this last go around. It is easier to pass one big budget item every 5 years than a smaller one every 2 or 3. Regular 4k footage is eating this 2017 model's lunch in premiere (I'm bad at it also, but this doesn't help). Many thanks for any advice.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

The Clap posted:

We bought several maxed out M1 Max Macbooks at work around the time of their release and decided not to upgrade to the M2 Maxes because the jump in power from M1 Max to M2 Max just doesn't warrant the upgrade. Those M1 Maxes have been incredible for us on a Premiere workflow - it's the first time in maybe four generations of Macbook that I've seen a significant upgrade in the speed and smoothness of general video editing.

So yeah that M1 Max refurb is the way to go imo, you won't be disappointed. You're definitely going to want the increased unified RAM, we max it out all the time with some of the more demanding edits we work on.

It turns out that I could move a little money around in the budget, so ended up with a refurb M2 max, 96GB, 2TB. Having watched some more benchmark and practical reviews on YouTube, if it was my money I would definitely do the refurb m1. either way, I could cry at how much better this is going to make my working life. no more stuttery proxy editing, no more waiting 2 hours for stabilization pre renders, even just being able to tab through folders full of clips in preview that play as fast as I can hit the arrow keys feels like a game changer. HIGHLY recommended for anybody still trying to drag an old i5 or i7 along with a newer camera's footage.