Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does anyone know their way around Final Draft 10? I accidentally clicked a button that turned it into classic mode UI and was wondering how to get it back to the larger button taskbar

right now they look this

and wanted to get it back to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

video gear question: anyone using small portable monitors? I'm considering small HD vs Atomos (ninja?) and wonder if the smallhd is soooooo much better that it warrants a price tag well above an atomos (considering the latter can record as well)

and now B&H has a lilliput on sale for 120 but I don't know a thing about that brand

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I don't know about Lilliput but our crew prefers our Shogun over our Small HD. They hate the color/contrast on the smallhd and won't even use it unless it's an emergency.

I read some reviews vaguely about the blacks being...noisey when recorded, or that the 4:2:2 you get from your camera would be better than what results in the Atomos. You notice anything like that?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Look into OBS streaming software, it should handle rel time stuff for you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Clap posted:

Can I ask about your usage of Resolve? How much do you use it, in what context, what kind of content are y'all creating?

Let me explain our production company's situation in order to sort of contextualize this question. We're a smallish production company - 7 total employees (2 of which are co-owners/founders), two dedicated post people. I'm one of the two and I'm the Post Production Supervisor who primarily edits while managing our post workflow etc. The other guy is a combo motion graphics/AE wizard and editor. We hire contractors as we need them for workload, anywhere between 1-3 at any given time with periods of a few months where we don't hire any.

We do a lot of quick turnaround work shot on GH5s but are working our way into more commercial stuff shot on Ursa Mini Pros. Most of the time we find that we don't really have time to roundtrip from Premiere --> Resolve --> Premiere because the work doesn't really call for it, we don't have time or the shooting format simply doesn't need it (think shooting Cinelike D picture profile on GH5/GH5s). We tend to lean a lot on Lumetri (I know) and the FilmConvert Pro plugin. Obviously when we shoot bmraw on our Ursas we have to create proxies and color later in Resolve but those instances and our (relatively sparse) commercial work are the only times we really use it right now.

I'm really just curious about other production company's workflows. How do you implement Resolve into your workflow? Are you just smarter about planning and informing clients about post timelines? (lol) Tell me however much you're comfortable talking about, I'm really super interested.

fwiw resolve is free if you buy a black magic pocket 4k, if your company has the budget for one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just ordered a Black Magic Pocket 4k, working on kitting it out right now

I was looking into usb-c SSD drives and I assume the BMPCC won't recognize Thunderbolt 3 even if it's basically a usb-c cable since nothing I've googled confirmed it would work

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How much time you get out of it shooting raw?

Also what are you doing for power

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 18, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have a 1070 and never had a hitch with red footage on premiere

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can you go wider and just stabilize in post

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

No offsite backups. Boss won't pay for it. Welcome to small business!

Want me to cryptolock your poo poo just to make a point?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Could always use the cautionary tale where Pixar nearly deleted toy story 2 and had to truck in a maternity leave producer’s server that was somehow still air gapped

Course boss man’s takeaway will probably be “good enough for Pixar good enough for me”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Good Sphere posted:

I’m trying to remember what a video effect is called, and I’m having an impossible time looking it up. It’s where you use a still shot with something moving, and you split the video into a bunch of vertical or horizontal lines and you delay the playback of each one at a time, so that the video looks like it’s waving or twirling. There’s an app called Time Warp that does this, but I also remember and art film from the 1980’s that did this.

I also recall there’s some way to achieve this in a video editing program like Premier.

this the one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nuS3INbEQs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

be honest, who is using this time to actually *learn* editing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FateFree posted:

Hi guys, I have a small one minute video that ends abruptly and I would like to extend the last few seconds and maybe add a fade out, but I don't have any video editing software. Can anyone recommend something simple, free, or online that can do this?

a lot of pro tier editing software have trials

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Any da vinci users? I had a friend upgrade his computer but said Da Vinci actually runs slower now than his old one (everything else runs fine). He said he tried looking at settings but nothing helped

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

powderific posted:

Do you know anything else about his setup, versions, etc?

5950 cpu,
64 gb of ram
AMD Radeon 6700xt 12gb
samsung evo 960 1tb

not sure about version

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'll ask

I've def not optimized my Premiere and previewed 4k and I'm only on a 1070 atm

granted that's premiere but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sounds like we got spoilers for the next lasagna cat