Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I love my new avatar. :)

One of my cats has decided he needs to stay in my lap all day long, so he can purr at me and stick his little beantoes in my face whenever I get sad. I love him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pogonodon posted:

One of my cats has decided he needs to stay in my lap all day long, so he can purr at me and stick his little beantoes in my face whenever I get sad. I love him so much.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dick Trauma posted:

CART
:cool:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been fighting with depression and my ADHD for the past few weeks and it was really starting to interfere with my work (my manager wanted to meet about my “engagement level”, which was terrifying). I managed to get my regular/maintenance ketamine infusion bumped up a month, and my psychiatrist thinks a bit of a dosage change will help. So far I’m doing a lot better today, even with the necessary adjustment to the new dosage. I’ve had some bad, couldn’t-work-for-many-months episodes in the past so I am very glad that I was able to head this one off.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I had a rough night but a friend asked me to ID an insect for them today which turned into us learning that seeing them (Salmonflies) means that the water near them is clean and also that said animal can play dead. It went from "what the hell" to "awwww" so quickly :3:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone who read my recent writing samples was inspired to work on their own screenplay which had been sitting, untouched, for months. They put together another ten pages in one night.

:3:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

FreshFeesh posted:

Someone who read my recent writing samples was inspired to work on their own screenplay which had been sitting, untouched, for months. They put together another ten pages in one night.

:3:

Sounds great to motivate others to create.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Honestly it’s my main motivation for doing basically anything creative: to inspire others to tell their own stories, in whatever medium.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is more of a cool little thing that happened and not necessarily enough to make my entire day awesome, but: We found a geocache right in our backyard. It had been hanging on a tree branch on our property, but on the public side of the fence; it contained a log and a pretty purple hair-tie, the ones that look like old telephone cords.

The last log entry was late July...before my husband started trimming branches and cut the thing down. :( I downloaded the Geocaching.com app to see where it was supposed to be, but it's not listed anymore. We hung it back up out there anyway, but I'm wondering if we should tuck it next to one of the other nearby caches. We didn't mean to ruin anyone's fun!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am sick, but for some reason I had quite a bit of energy so I took the dogs outside and gave them a good brushing with the equigroomer I recently bought after watching a bunch of Girl With The Dogs, whose videos will likely make your day awesome because they're great

the equigroomer got immense amounts of hair off without needing to clean the tool of clogged hair like your typical wire brushes or gloves or whatever, so I could just brush and brush and brush and brush and let the wind carry away the literal fistfuls of dog hair, and the edge doesn't catch on their skin like the wire brush did. after a half hour of brushing the two of them, they're looking much better. plus, this means all that hair won't be shed INSIDE the house, which is a huge, huge plus for me.

and now to no doubt feel gradually worse over the next 48 hours with whatever is currently ailing me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

High five being sick buddy!

I did manage to drag myself to a best friend's sons birthday celebration. Today was for family, tomorrow is for friends so hopefully I'll feel better then so I can actually enjoy the party.

So anyway, didn't feel like cooking and since I'm in a decent sized city now (staying at my mom's for the weekend who's away on holiday) I've actually got options for ordering delivery! I live in the middle of nowhere so my only option are three pizzarias who are basically the same.

Browsing all the options my eye fell on this Indian place with great reviews. Haven't had Indian in forever so it looked good. Never had butter chicken either but of course only heard good things.

Butter chicken is awesome, turns out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got some new sheet music books (volume 2 of Beethoven's sonatas and Vol 2 of Mozarts sonatas as I had parts 1 of both for a while) and it's interesting how different the full Moonlight Sonata is from the simplified version. The simplified version is in F major compared to the C Sharp Major of the full version, and the left hand in the full version does octaves instead of the individual bass notes in the simpler version. Also the ending of the theme is completely different in the full version where in the simplified version it just kind of cuts off and ends on a chord.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Have you tried a game called Eternal Sonata? It combines your interest of dumb classical music for nerds with video games , the superior art form

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's me, of course I've played Eternal Sonata.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom got suckered into buying Stopwatts, which are a scam. But I got her to get in touch with them and she managed to get a full refund. Now I just need to send it back to them and it'll all be as if it never happened. I also made sure she understood that she at minimum needs to investigate before ordering garbage like that, or ask me first, because she's susceptible to too-good-to-be-true scams like that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This actually happened yesterday, but w/e. Very late last night, I was looking out my bedroom window and saw a couple of police cars plus an undercover detective car* arrive just outside. Anyway, it was clear that they'd received a report of something suspicious happening on the beach.
Fortunately it turned out to be nothing, but it did introduce me to just how goddamn powerful a torch can be - they had maglite-sized ones that could fully illuminate a surface 300+ metres away, it was so amazing, and now I really really want one.

*they always buy some kind of dark blue saloon, no-one knows why. If you're in Ireland and you see a dark blue saloon with 4 men in it, chances are its a load of detectives.
If it's a blue micra, and it's four old ladies in blue or grey, it's nuns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Spent a lot of hours building sand castles and chillin with music in the south coast of France with my wife and kids. It was very nice and much better than working. Now I’m watching my wife and family be drunk at nearly 3 and it’s hilarious. And as a recovering alcoholic I have no desire to drink, im just having fun and loving being on baby duty. A good rear end day

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Got paid

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I got carded again today at 7-11 so this year on my birthday I get to turn one year younger.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I found seeds in my Mandarin orange! I can now grow 4 orange trees, if I win the lottery so I can have a greenhouse.

(I collect fruit tree seeds, sprout baby trees for friends with yards. Mandarin oranges are generally seedless, so this is pretty neat.)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I got to run around and play on the playground with my 9 year old nephew and we both had a lot of fun :3: and I gave my sister and her family all my old video games bc we don't have room for them in our Big City apartment and my sister was probably more excited than the kids

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Over the last week I have had issues with my ankle, making it painful to walk.

This morning, one of the Year 4s saw that I was limping, and so went out of her way to hold my hand and lead me into the classroom and got out a chair for me. She also told me, (in Japanese. I teach ESL in Hokkaido), that I should sit down and rest.

I mean, my foot still hurts, but it's little acts like that that show me my life is still awesome.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I just became the local union / workplace environment representative at my department, and the fact that my coworkers trust me with that feels pretty good.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Hel posted:

I just became the local union / workplace environment representative at my department, and the fact that my coworkers trust me with that feels pretty good.

Love that! I’m very grateful for my union and those who take on those roles when we need them.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Have the day off work, it’s the Marine Corps birthday and Veterans Day weekend. Woke up without an alarm, sipping coffee in a blanket, and have drinks and food with my significant other later. :smugbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

Love that! I’m very grateful for my union and those who take on those roles when we need them.

Speaking of Unions my workplace has made progress with our payrise - negotiations were on hold while some paperwork was submitted to the government treasurer, and they have approved it so the agency I work for has been allowed to increase our pay beyond the government recommended amount. Exactly how much it ends up being remains to be seen, but it's a good start.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Got a new job in just 3 weeks after last job screwed me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Work was getting rid of some desktops, tech support got to pick their own computer parts for desktops several years ago and they were up on the chopping block. Upgraded my current home desktop with 32GB of ddr4 RAM and a 250GB m.2 solid state for $50 and the labor to get it all installed :toot:

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Car insurance payment went from $300 to $100 this month so I have an extra $200 for present shopping :toot:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I passed the halfway point of my current book. No matter what, knowing I have read more than half of a book and am now in the downhill slope makes me feel good.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We ordered Chinese a while ago and they gave us an entire tub of red chicken ball sauce for no reason? So I made like 2 packs of vegan chik'n strips and we had that with the red sauce

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

35 or 36 years ago, when I was a kid, I was on holiday with my family sailing around the Irish Sea, which included visiting Wales. While there, my parents made friends with an older English couple who were on another boat moored near us. They lived locally, and invited us up for lunch where we all had a very nice time sitting out on their sunny patio.
My folks and they exchanged addresses, and while we never met them again after that brief period of friendship, every year since, a Christmas card has been exchanged.
This year's Gil and Ann card just arrived at my parents house - they must be a million years old by now, but still going strong :3:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today is the day my pets finish their international transit quarantine and get to come home

In a mere few hours, my huge toxoplasmosis son and his less annoying sisters gets to come lay on my face and scream when the clean bowl is full of fresh food and get turds lovingly picked up again. They will look at me, and ask what is this, where is this, why is this, catnip please, these questions must be contemplated loudly in hiding under the armchair

And also the dog is coming but she was already free and being walked and adored by her border guard captors. I think she's honestly just fine with anyone loving her.

In any case by tonight our family will finally be reunited and I forgot how the gently caress much I adore these slobbery furballs.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pookah posted:

This year's Gil and Ann card just arrived at my parents house - they must be a million years old by now, but still going strong :3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Today is the day my pets finish their international transit quarantine and get to come home

:blessed: :3:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm on vacation from work until January!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

No matter how old I get (currently 23) or how many times I see it, people using “wrap it up (word)-ailures” will always make me laugh

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

No matter how old I get (currently 23) or how many times I see it, people using “wrap it up (word)-ailures” will always make me laugh

More like painless

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Today I got my truck running again. It's a 2002 Ford Ranger that I've had since '05. It's been sitting in the garage for about three months now due to a fun combination of cascading component failure and bad-headspace procrastination, but I'm going into the new year with a BIG and anxiety-inducing task marked off my list.

It's a drat good feeling.

I'm seriously tempted to track down some appropriate vinyl decals to mark the occasion - a big suture scar across the top and two hex bolts for the side mirrors. It feels like a thunderstorm and a big old knife switch should have been involved at some point in the process.

For the record, the work I've done or had done on the thing in the past six months or so:
- Replaced the clutch assembly (done by a garage because I didn't have the equipment to drop and remount the transmission by myself)
- Replaced the water pump, which required the disassembly of half the engine.
- Replaced the radiator fan, fan clutch, and air intake hose as part of the above (when the water pump failed the fan cut a *hole* in the intake hose)
- Pulled the battery and alternator for testing because after all of the above it wouldn't start
- Reinstalled the alternator and put in a new battery
- Replaced the fuel pump today. This required removing the truck bed (easier than dropping the tank) but that was the hardest part, the actual swap was easy.

For now it's in reasonably good shape again. By which I mean it's running.
And all this horseshit and stress is still cheaper than a new car, which I couldn't afford right now anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was personally acknowledged by a favorite musician of mine :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I finally bought a new computer over the weekend as my old one is 12 years old, and I got a message that it's coming tomorrow.