Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I just found out that a friend whom I thought I lost to Corona half a year ago is alive and well! (dumb fucker just forgot to reply to my regular attempts to communicate because he was so busy with work in the elder care and social services sector).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The goon made game Waves of Steel has finally announced that it is hitting early access launch on Steam July 21st.
I've been helping the dev by testing it for...err...3 months? half a year? something like that.
Seeing it finally get posted with a release day is goddamn awesome.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

AngryRobotsInc posted:

This is a very minor awesome...

Really really weird to not be hoping I die before my next shift.

You wanna read those two sentences over again and tell me how that only counts as VERY MINOR AWESOME?
Not having a daily longing for death when contemplating going to work is a loving massive improvement in the quality of your life.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Captain Invictus posted:

we finished cleaning out my stepdad's house. we've been going through literally everything since december 4th, 3-5 hours a day, digging(often literally) through the piles of stuff. there's almost nothing left to do except find somewhere that accepts lots of furniture donations and has a box truck that can pick it up. someplace besides salvation army, if I can help it, but they're getting it all if nobody else will because I don't want it all to go to waste.

feels good, also sad, to go through all this. makes me furious with some of the stuff we've found, that his biological kids were just going to let get bulldozed along with the house.

Don't hold it too much against them. Grief is a hell of a thing and not being able to deal with literally going on a mining expedition through the life of your loved one is quite understandable. It might be the physical aspect of the whole thing, it might be the emotional aspect of seeing a less than stellar aspect of their loved one's lifestyle, but in both cases you can't really judge it without coming at it from their perspective.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
In case that seizure decides to stick around and become a regular thing, here is a handy list of potential seizure triggers
https://www.epilepsy.com/what-is-epilepsy/seizure-triggers
bottom line: figure out the triggers and structure the hell out of your life so they don't get the chance to occur.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Didn't see that one coming.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I took part in the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming yesterday and it was a massive success (in my opinion anyways)

I managed to get through an entire hour of being in the spotlight alongside two blind accessibility advocates, a project audio director at Microsoft and the Microsoft director of accessibility Xbox without making a fool of myself.
They were even super grateful for my participation and input so I count it as a massive win.

I did my part to raise awareness of photo-sensitive epilepsy and I'm really hoping this event has enabled me to secure some high profile contacts at Microsoft so I can spread the word even wider.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SerthVarnee posted:

I took part in the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming yesterday and it was a massive success (in my opinion anyways)

I managed to get through an entire hour of being in the spotlight alongside two blind accessibility advocates, a project audio director at Microsoft and the Microsoft director of accessibility Xbox without making a fool of myself.
They were even super grateful for my participation and input so I count it as a massive win.

I did my part to raise awareness of photo-sensitive epilepsy and I'm really hoping this event has enabled me to secure some high profile contacts at Microsoft so I can spread the word even wider.

I have a treat for you guys today.
A video recording of the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming featuring myself and 4 other very valuable panelists.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MUYbqcZHM8pAYNQ4NGDRJYdcgvtVZrPI?usp=sharing

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I got the opportunity to help a homeless guy yesterday. Asked me very politely for help paying for his hostel stay and as we walked to an ATM so I could help him out, I asked him about the monthly cost of staying there and whether that included regular meals. Since it wasn't included I ended up handing him enough cash to get by for a little while there plus pay for the whole month of having somewhere warm and dry to sleep.
Spent the rest of the day feeling warm and fuzzy about having the chance to help someone out like that.

For reference its like -10C outside and is expected to stay that way for at least a week. Pretty sure I made that guy's day, I know he certainly made mine.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Whoop whoop! My epilepsy blog just got officially added to the Microsoft accessibility links collection!
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/accessibility/developer-resources
Under the "blogs" section, which they apparently added specifically to fit my site in.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Aww that is so sweet and awesome. Congratulations to you both!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I've had a spastic cramp in my neck/shoulder for the better part of 4 months now.

The new anti-cramp meds they gave me recently is working wonders and my issue has gone from "loving just amputate that shoulder as a warning to the other one" to "oh yeah, I get a cramp fairly often, but only briefly".

I never thought I'd be so happy to be able to look to the right.

Riding a bike or walking my dog without whimpering in agony is a big plus too.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
It took nearly two entire years, but our rescue dog Nalah has finally finally managed to go on a full walk, action pooping and everything, and come back with a big happy dog face and high speed tail wagging session.

Goddamn did that ever take a massive weight off my shoulders. Now we can finally work on getting that heavy weight down through exercise instead of reduced amounts of treats (she is very very good at guilting her way into treat season).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I've been helping a Syrian refugee family learn English and making them feel welcome in their new homeland for years.
They moved to Turkey for a few years, but now they are back again and are ecstatic to see me and my mother again.

We were over at their new place yesterday for lunch and they just plonked down six days worth of food on the table in front of us and handed us some utensils. I haven't felt so stuffed since my grandmother used to cook dinner for 3 times as many people as she had coming over.

It was wonderful to see them again. How much the kids have grown, how much their English skills have improved and just how much happier they seem these days.

I've also received strict instructions to come visit them again soon, so I'm going to have to start watching my weight now.