Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

-Zydeco- posted:

I got back on the wagon and started exercising and dieting again and I've actually been getting results. I'm down to what I weighed 10 years ago and can actually see myself making my goal weight in a year if I keep it up.

I've started going to the gym too, 2 weeks ago. I wasn't dieting, I only started counting calories 2 days ago, but I've lost 0.6 kg - I went from 89.8 to 89.2! I'm hoping to start losing faster now I've started watching my caloric intake, it mostly involves being more careful of snacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Queen Combat posted:

That's awesome!

I went for a run today because I'm terrible at running even like a mile but can do 25+ on a bicycle and that's not a good ratio. After only a 2 mile run (1 mile jog, 1 mile intervals) I'm dead and it feels good. Tried to stand up to make tea and nearly fell over, that's how you know it's a good workout.

I can't run very far "live" on the road because I tend to outpace myself and get worn out really quickly. also the subtle hills everywhere give heavy resistance. I tend to need a treadmill or something to keep my pace consistent, at least in these early days.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I found out yesterday that my diet is helping my weight loss massively. In the first 2 weeks I only shed 0.6 kg, and that may have been right at the end, but in the last 3 days alone I shed a full 0.4 kg. That's way faster. I'm looking at a full KG lost in one week if I keep this up! Plus 88.8 kg is a fun number to be :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

After only dieting for a full week so far I've saved a lot of money that normally goes on snacks. Between that and the gym it's like I'm selling my fat to the universe for money. :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My appetite seems to have returned! Just a matter of seeing if I can keep my food down now...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just doubled my usual treadmill time at the gym, although it meant it was all I did this session.

I usually do 10 minutes at 9.0 kilometers per hour. This time, same speed but 20 full minutes. Didn't get a stitch til the last 40 seconds, so ran 2.9km in one shot.

Nice to know I can, but I'm not gonna make a habit of it though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Weighed myself at the gym again - I'm down to an even 84kg, so I've lost 5.8kg in total since I started going. While my remaining fat does still scrunch together and feel more than it is when I'm sat down, when stood up it's clear that the layers are getting thinner, and I can feel actual muscles developing in my stomache area, it's feeling a lot more solid. I got concerned for a bit because the body fat % readings were all over the place, but I looked them up and found out they are known to be wildly inaccurate, so I've stopped getting those readings.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My parents got me a sandwich toaster! Now I can make toasties! I was expecting them to just return my umbrella as I'd forgotten to bring it back from their house, so this is a cool bonus.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bought some kitchen stuff yesterday, cake pans and a cooling rack, because I always get it into my head to bake something then never do because I don't have the equipment and end up going "Ah, gently caress it." Also my weight is down to 82.8kg, 25.8 bmi.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Rainbow Knight posted:

:derp::woop::woop:I PET A DOG TODAY:woop::woop::derp:

There was a funny moment yesterday at the supermarket where a dog kept wandering in to be friendly so the staff would have to keep ushering him back outside again only for him to dart right back in. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

More like "the last few days" but my landlady finally replaced my hob, so I have a new stovetop and it works properly! The old one was knackered for a long time, and had pitiful gas pressure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's bank holiday over in hte UK! Friday and monday off!

Also I've had a fun idea for a video that I want to put together.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have the possibility of getting a promotion at work, I just need to start the process off by taking a couple of courses on the company learning website about processes and poo poo. So I've started the first course during my overtime. I hope that this pans out, it would be nice to get off the phones. It's not awesome yet, it's not happened yet, but there is some hypothetical, tentative, possible awesomeness to come.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I finished the first of the courses to start my progression at work today. Tomorrow I'll check with my manager exactly which course I need to take next, because I know what it covers, there are just a bunch of courses that cover the same subject so I want to go for the right ones.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally it seems the overtime I've been working is paying off. Instead of ~£1200 I have around £1400 for next month's budget!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My brother was an idiot 20 years ago, went down a slide with a cycle helmet on on his belly, hit his chin on the bottom, buckle sunk in and he needed stitches.

Congrats for your daughter btw.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Less day more month, but because of all the overtime i've been doing, although taking a break from it this month, this months paycheck is a lot bigger than normal, so at the end of the month I may have an extra £450 to transfer to my savings account. I'm planning more overtime to come too after this month, so I'm hoping that this will become a frequent occurrence so I can build a decent chunk of a savings account (currently have around £1400 in it)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I plucked up the nerve to apply for a much higher-paying job. Getting there will require either walking for an extra 15 minutes or taking a bus, but the hundreds of extra £ per month will be worth it. We'll see if anything comes of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Even if you don't get it you're building a good skill, going after what you want.

At the minimum level I'd be earning what it currently takes a whole month of saturday overtime to earn, and it depends on expeirence so I could end up with even more than that because I have 6 years of relevant experience. My biggest fear that has been holding me back is that old chestnut "What if I get it, leave my current job, but then turn out I suck at the new one/something bad happens internally and I get fired"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just got pleasantly surprised by a really good movie that got my attention with it's box art, The Kid who would be King. It is a very thoughtful retelling of the King Arthur myth, and it takes the action and mythology very seriously while still keeping a sense of humour. The characters even use the properties of the sword in really clever ways, like sheathing it in a boulder when they need to not raise attention, so that no one else can take it, or using the Lady of the Lake as basically a storage locker. All the fights have a brilliant sense of peril, and strong swordplay choreography that prevents it falling into Home Alone-style hijinks and Morgana does a really good job being threatening, and Merlin also manages to feel powerful but not game-breakingly so.

The early scene where Lance betrays Alex and takes excalibur for himself has real tension to it as it's just straight up a real sword fight, and feel like one of the characters could get seriously hurt, and it avoids too much awkwardness by playing Merlin's mindcontrol spell very carefully - he uses it to get places or get things that he needs, but he never sends those characters into any danger. All the characters who fight know exactly what they are getting into and consent to the danger.

It's a very "now" movie as well in that the thing that strengthens the villain is basically implied to be brexit, or modern politics in general. Britain being a weak, leaderless (due ot parliament being a clusterfuck) mess with only idiots at the helm and the world falling into chaos, the story is less a restoration of the monarchy/literal king situation and more "This generation has noble souls that can take power and lead the world better". A general feeling of hope.

I was in a bad mood due to a stressful period in my life, but this really cheered me up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While I was getting ready for a job interview that turned out to be for a crap company (sooo manu red flags leading up to it) I got a call from someone about a much better opportunity earning double what I currently get for doing the same basic job, just on more specific tools, so hoping he can get me an interview for that one. If it works out I could go from earning 1200 per month to almost 2000.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Doubleposting because i'm excited - the really high paying job have asked me to come in for an interview! On tuesday I'll go in for a face to face and hopefully this job will be mine!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know how you feel, I've been in my current help-desk job for about 6 years, and it was fine for most of it, but recently things have been going downhill fast and I've been made redundant effective August 31st. I will however get a large payout due to it being voluntary (if I hadn't taken it I probably would have been hit with a compulsory redundancy later on which would not have the big payout but a far smaller severance). While I haven't had any luck finding something else yet, part of me is glad of that because while I find my next thing at least I can take some me time to reset myself before whatever my next job turns out to be finally hires me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I rediscovered an old cartoon that turned out to still be funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's only gonna work with the american date order, though it is cute.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm going to finally have stable income again, and only a month after leaving my last job, so I won't need to spend my severance pay on bills. The agency I'm with have got me a temp-to-perm position at a warehouse that doesn't sound too bad, and that will last for the forseeable future or until I find something better paying. After a while they may even train me on the machines, so it would get interesting if that happens.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

After weeks of waiting for an interview with an NHS position in sheffield, I applied for and got an interview slot for a much closer one in the town I actually live in for better money. The interview's tomorrow, hopefully it goes well. Otherwise it's back to 11 hour days putting cheese in boxes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow, not only do I have today's interview, I just got called for one tomorrow as well. Things are really coming together!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pookah posted:

That's marvellous - a real case of something good coming from something bad. Hope your dad's health stays good :)

My latest awesomeness: I found a perfect christmas present for my mother, who is a fairly new vegan who has a lingering love for leather handbags. Yesterday I found a beautiful, high-quality portuguese leather bag in a thrift store so she gets to have the bag but not the guilt of buying it new!

So she's Vegan Buffalo Bill. "I won't eat you... but I love your SKIN!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My parents got a new dog just before christmas so I got to meet her when I went to stay for a few days. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm making Irish soda bread, and my kitchen smells amazing.

You should have posted the day before in the Why is your day lovely Today? Thread with "hosed up irish soda bread, and my kitchen smells terrible!"
Make a narrative.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Reminds me of One Foot in the Grave when Victor can't find the towels because his wife put them away so he'd know where they were.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got a call yesterday about a job I applied for, the remaining interview stages will be online via a chat program so I don't have to worry about the coronavirus loving up the interview process. I'll be scheduling the first stage of the proper interview next week.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My garden's been a total mess for years because I've been too sore to do anything about it due to long terrible shifts, but I have new downstairs neighbours so my landlord sorted out the garden, and my neighbours are actually helping, so it's not all down to me anymore. Yay! I've been trying to keep up with weeding it but they just grow back too quickly, so I'm glad to have other people to help with it. Like the Landlord got the gravel redone and deplanted, then the neighbours did the flower boxes/beds the next day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

more generally over the weekend than "today" but I finally beat rogue Galaxy, which has a great final boss, and I also have an interview scheduled for today, and am hoping to hear back about a similar but closer role, both in warehousing but at least it would be stable (and out of the fridge that I've been working with). If the further place offers overtime that would offset the travel cost too by letting me work some saturdays for extra money, i'll find out. Also a tech support role emailed me to gauge my interest, so I submitted a cv for that too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My parents got me a porcelain ocarina for my birthday painted like the ocarina of time. It even has a songbook with fingering guides and sheet music for zelda songs.
That's gonna be fun to learn, but challenging too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also got a new job yesterday, which means i'll no longer need to be up at 3 am to work in a fridge for 11 hours a day. Also while the money 9-5 will be slightly less, I will be working 1 in every 3 weekends so that'll help close the gap or even overtake my prior shifts, plus the fact that i'll know I have the shifts every week so there won't be any weeks like this one where I just don't have any work and therefore aren't earning anything.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I found out how to change text colour on discord by interfacing directly with the javascript. It's a fun thing to do. https://www.techjunkie.com/discord-change-text-color/

It's imperfect but interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just beat a level in a hard game that I've never got this far in, level 3 in Mark of Kri. And I have all the stuff in all the levels so far, although we'll see how the challenges work out, level 4's seem a bit finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just got around to watching the Nicolas Cage movie "The Colour out of Space". loving hell that was an experience. It has some upsetting imagery, but it's a hell of a movie. I'm glad I got around to it blind.