Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My friend gave me her old Sony DSLR camera and I spent 3 wonderful hours today wandering the local parks photographing the local wildlife and listening to music. It feels great to be creative again and truly excited about a new hobby.

Is there a photography thread somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wrong thread

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

First my new camera lens came in (my first prime that's going to be perfect for indoor shooting) and then my housemate called up and asked if I was going to get a camera bag, and if I'd rather a satchell or backpack. Then he came back with a $150 camera bag he got for free from work. Put me in the best mood.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Had a great time with a tiny jumping spider and an old lens. He was being the perfect little model.

Having artistic output has really helped my mental wellbeing of late.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Kind of wanna see that spider.

Such a good little guy.

Dick Trauma posted:

And now the spider knows where you live! :tinfoil:

He can follow me home whenever!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Things are progressing slowly but surely. Getting a few more freelance design and printing jobs, but most excitingly going to the UK to finally get the work placement to finish my Engineering degree is just a little bit closer, with blue card accepted, and an interview pencilled in.

Today is good, because there is hope I haven't wasted 30 years to become an unemployed sack of poo poo.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a continuing freelance job today in my field! It'll be a couple weeks of work at least.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I took a gamble on an old 35mm camera from a unknown seller with a blurry rear end pitcture. It arrived today and is in phenomenal condition, and it came with a few things he didn't mention. Almost shot my first roll of film already!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I took a really nice photo of a water dragon and a spider.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ok!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I don't see the spider. :(

...Though I just now took a look around, so thanks, you've scared me into thinking there's an arachnid sneaking around here.

Near the centre of the image, just below the moss.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finally got the scans from my first couple rolls of film and I'm in love with the medium.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A month or so ago I got assaulted and robbed. The guy kicked my teeth in and has given me no end of sleepless nights. My face is healed now, I had multiple facial fractures, of the two teeth that were shattered, one's been replaced with a cap, and the other will be getting a denture in soon.

But what makes today so loving great, just absolutely magnificent, is that they have the guy who ruined my face. I just got back from the cop shop, I picked him out of two photo boards, it was instant recognition, I'll never forget his face.

He's going away, I hope he gets fucken deported. He doesn't deserve to live in this beautiful, wide brown land.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

All of my photography gear has been repaired or delivered in time for Japan on Monday and all my freelance work is wrapping up nicely beforehand as well.

Can't wait to shoot a whole ton of film!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Dude(ette?) keep at it. Film is loving wonderful and it sucks that it’s hard to find ways to get film/get it processed.

I have such fooooooond memories of shaking the developing canister and then seeing the black roll come to life. Then sticking a white sheet into a tub of liquid and the picture just like, magically like, really come to life and appear out of nothingness. It’s so cool.

Summary: film is loving awesome.

I'm really lucky. There's a little film renaissance in my part of Australia, so I'm a short walk away from a really good hipster developing centre and gallery.

I'm currently in Japan with my Minolta, a 50 mm, a 28 mm, 3 rolls of Portra and 2 rolls of HP5 so that's why every day until the first is going to be awesome.

e: Ultimately I want to develop and scan myself, but it's wonderful that I have such good hands to leave my rolls in until then.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I found the perfect camera strap while on holiday. It was a goal to hit up used camera places in search for a proper vintage Minolta strap and I got it for like $5.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A stranger liked one of my photos enough to ask for the original to use as a desktop wallpaper. It feels great that my work is in the wild somewhere now!

You too can click through if you'd like the uncropped original.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I started my first day of a new job in England, it's pretty great!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Every day has been great while I'm staying and working in the UK, but I got a bunch of film back in really happy with and work continues to be fulfilling instead of anxiety inducing. Amazing what a good office feels like.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My wife is arriving in the UK today to start our holiday. It's been 15 weeks since I've seen her so I'm incredibly excited.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just got my first Engineering job, completing Uni this year and found employment before I even got my degree sent to me!

Helith posted:

I passed my Aussie citizenship test so when I get official confirmation and then attend a ceremony and say the pledge I'll be an Aussie.

Congrats!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got my uni results back and Inqiled my final subject just pushing me over the threshold required to graduate with Second Class Honours Division A, and I'm employed in my field even before my graduation day!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I graduated!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

Last night I finally took some very necessary self-care steps to start pulling myself out of a year+ worth of isolation and self-criticism. Here’s to a brighter and less anxiety-filled tomorrow.

Congrats, it can be hard to feel human again, I spent a long time feeling like I was outside of society and it took a good bit of self reflection and work to get back to being myself. It's worth it. Send a PM if you ever feel like it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finally finished tiling and grouting the kitchen and it looks amazing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

Going back to work (not on full time) after being off for 6 months with a major depression.

Congrats my dude. I came off Lexapro recently after landing a job with actual good people. poo poo's a struggle but a day at a time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Today was pretty stressful but this is my current view so it's all good.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

An old manual watch I ordered from the Ukraine arrived and actually keeps accurate time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a 5 pack of film, Portra 400 in 120, and the cashier only charged me for one roll.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a nice bike after not cycling for 4 years or so. Put 17 km on it this morning and feel great. My fitness is no where near where it used to be but it feels great to get out and be active again.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My lens fell off my camera and into a river last week and after a week of combat with it, tearing down the entire shutter mechanism, cleaning and rebuilding, I have it back to working condition!

https://i.imgur.com/Gy68M1Q.gifv

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

how much does that sucker go for new, guessing it's worth repairing rather than ponying up hundreds/thousands to get a new one

Copal don't exist as a company any more, so if I was going to replace it it'd be $300 for a new lens and shutter. Really hard to find shutter only sales.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

oh my god I hope you get the chance to ask - kindly - "what's a ham basket?"

there's no way a grown adult has internalized such an idiom without having SOME idea as to what it is

Tell that to anyone who says "I could care less" or "For all intensive purposes"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I developed colour film at home for the first time and it came out great.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My day was awesome because I'm spending a good chunk of it lying in bed reading with my wife and the cat.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got my own photography printed large and hung around the house and now I can't stop looking at them. 5 in total. It feels amazing to take it from a shot I developed at home, to my own scans and editing to a final product.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Master Twig posted:

I finally made the call and made an appointment to meet with a therapist to treat my depression.

Congrats friend, that's really awesome. Make sure to follow through.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My darkroom is finished enough to use and I've made my first prints and they're amazing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finished shooting, developing and scanning my first project and am now onto fine editing and proofing. It's awesome seeing it all in one place as I soft it out and make adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I finished repairing an 85 year old camera and shot some film in it. It's been a long project and 100% worth it.