Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Feb 23, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

Well, now we know who's gonna play Anna in the future Deadly Premonition movie starring Chris Pine. Thankfully, we'll only have to see that terrifying visage only during flashbacks and dream sequences.

I keep thinking Bradley Cooper when I see the first picture in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

702 posted:

I keep thinking Bradley Cooper when I see the first picture in the OP.

I only thought of Chris Pine because someone else pointed out the similarities much earlier in the LP. There's a photoshopped movie poster on the fanart post.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Lord Chumley posted:

He got the card, but didn't display it. That's what TwoPair was trying to say.

You're saying they spoil something about York within the first 20 seconds of gameplay? That's crazy.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
No, it's charming!

Does that card spoiler, assuming you bother checking it on your play through, really change how someone views the game's events? I am assuming it explains Zach somewhat.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

a spooky ghost posted:

No, it's charming!

Does that card spoiler, assuming you bother checking it on your play through, really change how someone views the game's events? I am assuming it explains Zach somewhat.

I checked it and it's not really that much however I can see why SGF is holding out on it.

Also fully caught up on the LP 2 weeks ago and now have weekly updates, and beat the game a week ago yet I still find myself whistling Life is Beautiful constantly. Think I'm gonna play through it again next time I can borrow my dad's 360.

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.

a spooky ghost posted:

No, it's charming!

I agree with the decision to leave it out. The fact that it's there at the beginning makes me think its not even really supposed to be a mystery (combined with the fact that, when said card contents are revealed in-game, it isn't said in a big "surprise!" kind of moment). That said, it's more fun without knowing yet.

I don't remember seeing any sort of spoilers on non-York cards though. Maybe I missed them.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Well, it sounds like we better get some more updates before people are tempted to go and look for themselves!

notungratefuljusteager

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Goldom posted:

I don't remember seeing any sort of spoilers on non-York cards though. Maybe I missed them.

There are others.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010
I just hope supergreatfriend remembers which card descriptions he has skipped and shows them to us after we are safely past the relevant story revelations.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Aquans posted:

I just hope supergreatfriend remembers which card descriptions he has skipped and shows them to us after we are safely past the relevant story revelations.

I am pretty certain that SGF knows exactly what he is doing. You're in good hands. This is a masterful LP.

Embiggen
Jan 12, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

:ese: :haw:Do You Want Me To Pump It!:haw: :ese:

That would be the best twist. Now I'm betting the next victim will be sponged/poorly-washed to death.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Embiggen posted:

That would be the best twist. Now I'm betting the next victim will be sponged/poorly-washed to death.

I appreciated that York was as terrified by that as I was.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Viola the Mad posted:

Well, now we know who's gonna play Anna in the future Deadly Premonition movie starring Chris Pine. Thankfully, we'll only have to see that terrifying visage only during flashbacks and dream sequences.

I don't know which is more sad, SJP appearing ridiculously photoshopped everywhere so that she doesn't look her age, or the fact that even though the DP team could start from scratch with their "high school graduate", they ended up with SJP lookalike.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

This sandwich is delicious. The taste, the texture, I will have what Mr. Stewart is having.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

Cue insatiable need for a tootsie pop.

Though, the lollipops in game are pretty clearly supposed to be Chupa Chups. Which are clearly a delicious treat, too.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, the tootsie was the only kind I had on hand, and I don't really 'do' candy. Just figured lollies were one of the commonest things York eats.

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
Zach, have you ever wondered how many licks it does take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop? It's a classic commercial of course, but has the question ever really been answered? I tried once, you know. I got a tootsie roll pop and started licking it, carefully counting each lick, trying as hard as I could to make each lick identical to ensure maximum accuracy... eventually I realized I'd gotten to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop, but I'd missed the exact moment when it emerged! How, you ask? Simple - I had lost the feeling in my tongue. At some point I'd stopped actually tasting the lollipop, but I'd been so caught up in the investigation that I hadn't noticed. It wasn't a very satisfying experience. Biting really is the preferable way to get to the center! Though I suppose a dentist might disagree.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Three. It takes three. who even licks a lollipop, you're supposed to suck on them?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

K0npeito posted:

Zach, have you ever wondered how many licks it does take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop? It's a classic commercial of course, but has the question ever really been answered? I tried once, you know. I got a tootsie roll pop and started licking it, carefully counting each lick, trying as hard as I could to make each lick identical to ensure maximum accuracy... eventually I realized I'd gotten to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop, but I'd missed the exact moment when it emerged! How, you ask? Simple - I had lost the feeling in my tongue. At some point I'd stopped actually tasting the lollipop, but I'd been so caught up in the investigation that I hadn't noticed. It wasn't a very satisfying experience. Biting really is the preferable way to get to the center! Though I suppose a dentist might disagree.

According to the Tootsie Roll website, around 600-800.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

IronSaber posted:

According to the Tootsie Roll website, around 600-800.

I once saw a high school science fair project that ended up deriving an equation based on lick frequency and a bunch of other factors.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I'm sure the cards don't really spoil anything in the sense it's like 'This guy enjoys long walks and ice cream and is also the killer', but since this is a group experience and we're all speculating, keeping certain cards out helps with the speculation.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

I once saw a high school science fair project that ended up deriving an equation based on lick frequency and a bunch of other factors.
I want to see this.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

doomfunk posted:

This sandwich is delicious. The taste, the texture, I will have what Mr. Stewart is having.

But what could that 'e' mean?

Michel parameter
May 6, 2010

by T. Finn
Great update as usual, can't wait to see the next update! This thread is great and I love the fanart.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

ThemeMusicC posted:

I'm sure the cards don't really spoil anything in the sense it's like 'This guy enjoys long walks and ice cream and is also the killer', but since this is a group experience and we're all speculating, keeping certain cards out helps with the speculation.

Actually a few of them do blatantly spoil huge things.

Things like that are why I get queasy when people proclaim the quirks of this game as "inspired" or at the very least "intentional".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

judge reinhold posted:

Things like that are why I get queasy when people proclaim the quirks of this game as "inspired" or at the very least "intentional".
Some of the things are pretty inspired... but the cards' contents really aren't one of them.

In other news, apparently Thomas has been studying at the booted feet of General Lysander, and can sit in front of the dress form in his room without any need for a chair.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

judge reinhold posted:

Actually a few of them do blatantly spoil huge things.

Oh, well.

I'd say that they probably expected people to only go cardhunting on repeat playthroughs, but then of course there's the Gunsmith, who is like 'Hey go get some cards and I can give you cool stuff', so that probably wasn't the best choice they made during development.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
With all the "Twin Peaks" references in the game I wish they had a FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole type character. He was by far my favorite. (Don't click on link if you don't want TP spoilers) Best quote.
FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole (aka David Lynch)

Click here for the full 614x467 image.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

bodz5150 posted:

FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole (aka David Lynch)

Click here for the full 614x467 image.

Holy poo poo I didn't even recognize him, that's awesome.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThemeMusicC posted:

Oh, well.

I'd say that they probably expected people to only go cardhunting on repeat playthroughs, but then of course there's the Gunsmith, who is like 'Hey go get some cards and I can give you cool stuff', so that probably wasn't the best choice they made during development.

the York card has a huge spoiler on it, and it's the first loving card you get. Really annoying!

EDIT: The FAQ I read said not to read the cards for fear of spoilers. I thought, how bad could it be. Then I read York's card :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The York card spoiler is pretty bad, but is not the worst of the lot.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

GoatLord posted:

But what could that 'e' mean?

Oh my god I didn't even notice the 'e' in my coffee! :tinfoil:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

King of Solomon posted:

The York card spoiler is pretty bad, but is not the worst of the lot.

Yeah, I was loving thrilled to pick up a random card and have it tell me multiple spoilers for poo poo that happened hours down the road. Great game design...

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
What's really weird is that one or two of them I found had what sounded like spoilers but weren't. At least, as far as I saw.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

K0npeito posted:

My sister and I once sat down and counted it out, taking turns licking the sucker. I think the number we got was in the high 500's.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Oh my god I didn't even notice the 'e' in my coffee! :tinfoil:

Soooo...met anyone or anything whose name begins with an 'e' lately?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Personally, I felt the end bit had waaaaay outlasted it's welcome. It was funny for about a minute, then it was just four minutes of music accompanied by the constant clacking of a joystick. Although seeing you constantly crashing into horses to the point where your car exploded almost made up for it.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

My favourite item in the game is the radio, not just because it's a fast travel item but also because it's basically York calling George up when he gets lost and asking him to chauffeur him around. Doubly so in the first chapter when they're at each other's throats.

SonicBoom
Jul 12, 2010

Tobias Grant posted:

Personally, I felt the end bit had waaaaay outlasted it's welcome. It was funny for about a minute, then it was just four minutes of music accompanied by the constant clacking of a joystick. Although seeing you constantly crashing into horses to the point where your car exploded almost made up for it.

This was how I felt too. IIRC there were one or two other times where we just kinda drove around into stuff for several minutes and nothing really happened. Admittedly, I don't know the pacing of this game, so maybe going to another side quest would take too long.

Nothing major though; I'm really enjoying this LP. So far I love this game's sense of humor, and SGF's commentary manages to make it even funnier. Though the game certainly has its rough spots, so far they are pretty easy for me to overlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Some of the cards blatantly spoil poo poo. I broke down and looked, and some go as far as saying who dies, and when.

I also downloaded the soundtrack and :wtc: Some of the song titles/song choices make me not care about knowing what's to come because...when the gently caress would such music be used, and why oh god I must know.