Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I went to sleep wondering when you were going to start the thread for this and here it is! :neckbeard: I was on a Twin Peaks kick this year and really wanted to play this, but couldn't. Thank you for allowing me to put off getting a PS3 even longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Chas McGill posted:

He seems pretty normal so far. I'm hoping to see upside down yoga and Tibetan clairvoyance before this story plays out.

Hey, I love Coop too, but I think F K in the coffee might even out-weird throwing rocks at bottles in the woods when it comes to solving murders.

It really is amazing how many Twin Peaks references/influences have already popped up in just 2 videos. I was half expecting Annie's dad to come dancing in when York was talking to the mom.

By the way I was wondering... is the blind-run crew going to just basically ignore the whole thread? Since it looks like SGF is already way ahead of them, it's gonna pretty much be nothing but spoilers, right?

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think the primary reason they brought Annie in was because someone was a little worried at the idea of a teenage girl hitting repeatedly on an FBI agent and the agent, on occasion, seeming to consider it. I don't think she looked much like Laura Palmer though. Are you sure you're not thinking of Maddy?

If I remember right, Kyle Maclachlan nixed it himself, supposedly because of the teenage girl/FBI agent thing, but his being involved with Lara Flynn Boyle at the time probably had a bit to do with it as well. :iiam:

I could swear I watched the whole series just this past year, but I can't remember anything after the Laura Palmer story. Not even Duchovny's part. I think that says it all.

But, yeah, I can't say I'm surprised that a Japanese developer would make a TP homage game like this. It was popular enough over there to cause things like this coffee commercial series to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A_-FHsPwfQ

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

ArmoredBlue posted:

On the Youtube version, the first of the three videos won't load past the 1:06 mark (the other two seem to be fine). Could you maybe try reuploading it?

You're not alone, the YT version stops at the exact same point for me, too. Weird.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

supergreatfriend posted:

I just watched through the Youtube videos for this update, and they all worked fine for me. Could anyone who was having problems earlier try watching them again and let me know if there are still problems? I don't really know what's going on with these, but I would really like to avoid having to re-upload them. I'm watching the Blip video now.

Watching the Youtube that froze for me right now, and it's passed the part where it was stopping with no problems. :) Not sure if it's because of the re-upload, or that when I started up this morning I had a Flash update to install, but it's working for me now.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Holy poo poo.

This LP inspired me to look at SWERY's twitter for the first time, and I realized...

His company's office is in walking distance of my apartment :psyduck:

Considering I don't even own this game I am way too excited about that. Should I go jump into his dumpster? :ohdear:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
This GAME. :allears:

I like how the biscuit is clearly a KFC one (honey & all) because that is probably the only biscuit SWERY or any of the programmers have ever seen in Osaka.

Thomas's character design vaguely reminds me of Katsuya from Persona 2, and now I can't stop imagining him prancing after demons, sperging out to them about squirrels until they give him tarot cards.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I am sad. I walked home today past the address where Access Games's offices claim to be on their website, and there doesn't seem to be anything there, not even a sign. :smith: Maybe I should've stood outside smoking for a while.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
MC Butlerdude is my new favorite character. Does the Mysterious Capitalist tell him everything in couplets, or does he have to make it rhyme himself? If he uses a slant rhyme will he get his pay docked? I MUST KNOW.

supergreatfriend posted:

I suppose that's to be expected, Access Games is a real small developer. What *was* there? Just some plain building?

Basically, yeah. They're not on the ground floor so there wasn't much to see from the outside, and since I would literally have nothing else to say but "uhh I'm watching an LP of that Twin Peaksy game you guys did and it's neato" I didn't wanna lurk around too much. :ohdear:

Lurking Haro posted:

I did some company stalking in Fukuoka and Kyoto (Walked from Kyoto Station to Nintendo) and Cyber Connect 2 only had short mentioning on a sign, even though they take up a whole floor.

You probably have to go inside and look at a sign next to the elevators to see anything about them.

Well, I literally walk past there once a week for work-related stuff so I really only took a quick peek (and missed the dumpsters :doh: ) - according to the site they have the 2nd and 3rd floors, which were completely curtained off and unmarked on the outside signs. I might take another look next week. But honestly I'm more intrigued by this building a few blocks south - the second floor appears to be a cheap bar for furries, but it seems obvious a supervillian or two has offices in there.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

NightShroud posted:

Part 5 - Swery65' 3/3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlzumkO69io

At around the 1:30 mark.

I just watched this again too, and realized... George's last name is Woodman. WOODman, in a story involving trees :tinfoil:

Also sprite person, I love you so.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Ok, Thomas is officially my favorite thing now. :neckbeard:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
This update was the best Christmas present I got :unsmith:

...that's really :smith: about me, but seriously, you're doing a great job with this SGF. Like somebody else said earlier, being disappointed the update is ONLY 20 minutes is pretty amazing. I barely have the attention span for Twitter and I always watch these all the way through.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I was honestly disappointed that the Malcolm McDowell movie York was thinking of wasn't Caligula.

Looking forward to the art gallery, to see if York's way with women is any more successful on Diane. :allears:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I had to watch the first part of this twice - the exact moment York rammed the Milk Barn van into a building, my laptop crashed :tinfoil:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Wow, this update was awesome. The head-on collision, Sigourney, the sandwich scene (putting cornflakes on everything is certainly Japanese enough but considering I've never seen turkey here outside of Subway I'm in awe SWERY actually eats these), and actual plot movement to boot! I'd feel bad that it looks like Becky is going to bite it, if she hadn't been such a bitch to York. :colbert:

I wonder with the deal with Nick and Diane is going to turn out to be. I don't think he had anything to do with the murders, but it's definitely suspicious. I thought it was weird that Olivia seemed to think "went drinking all night with a slutty art gallery owner, then went to that gallery in the middle of the night" somehow equals "killed apparently unrelated teenage girl in a lumber mill and dragged her to a park to stick her in a tree." And now she seems to think her husband who just left the diner 5 minutes ago is hacking Becky up as we speak?

And wait.... wasn't Diane supposed to be out of town during the murder? Or was that just for the town meeting? I can't remember now.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Aquans posted:

I found a video of someone's playthrough of Deadly Premonition and here's what it is:

:words:

Nothing really that special.

Ooh, thanks for saving me time/spoilers. I figured as much. Most Japanese folks don't really understand "rhyming" very well (speaking as someone who has had to explain this concept many a time) - I guess when all your words end with the same 6 sounds it's really not that exciting?

It's really no wonder why this sold for poo poo in Japan, all the most awesome parts of it probably went over the otakus' heads.

vvv I think it's more that a lot of things are LITERALLY lost in translation than any small-town Americana problem. Twin Peaks was popular enough that they were starring in commercials here. I think Judd Apatow movies are more the kind of "American" that leaves them baffled and uninterested. v:shobon:v

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
At this point the biggest mystery in this thread for me is what the gently caress is a lingonberry??

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
People are complaining about plier accuracy in a game with purple turkey sandwiches? :wtc:

That aside, I really got into this update. I had seen the Rainy Woods trailer already so I was kinda spoiled but at least now I have some context... are we going to find out WTF happened when Anna appeared? Was it like the otherworld where only York could see it, or did the others see it too?

After that poo poo George pulled I honestly thought Becky was trying to point at him, like "he's the guy who did this to me." And I think he did - cutting the wire like that makes more sense if he knows what's going to happen and is trying to make it LOOK like he's helping, I think. He's gotta be in on this to some extent, I think.

Also wondering if this happening to Becky will make anyone else who might know something more or less likely to cooperate with York.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Someone mentioned Wicker Man a few pages back and now I can't stop imagining Agent York played by Nick Cage.. and it's wonderful :psyduck:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I'm kind of terrified of SWERY's next game. Apparently he's watching CSI: Miami daily right now.

vv I was more frightened of the potential birth of Rapeface David Caruso, but come to think of it that might be kind of awesome.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Well all the drinking and driving does kinda help avoid plotholes. "I can't believe I made it home last night! I was so drunk I thought a giant dog was chasing my car down the road!"

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Sir Edward posted:

Has she always done this, or did Emily just begin tapping her chest like York does when she's thinking?

It's like real life when people who like each other adopt each other's quirks :) So cute.

I think she picked it up at some point, yeah.

What scares me is a few weeks ago I was searching through a used bookstore and realized I was doing the finger-tapping thing. This LP is seeping into my brain :psyduck:

Also I am very disappointed that no one made a Showgirls joke at that "another Kyle MacLachlan movie" opening a few pages back.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Lurking Haro posted:

A troll made Swery sad :mad:
http://twitter.com/Swery65/status/58909126188740608

Let's show him our support!

Wow, not only is that guy a shithead, but Swery lives in Osaka, and the worst that happened to us over here was a little rumbling and having to wait a few weeks for the iPad2 to come out. :mad:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I love this LP and all but saying DP is better than Twin Peaks is confusing me. You wanna do character comparisons? Sallie Graham vs Leland Palmer. Go ahead, tell me again no one but Coop and Audrey were interesting :colbert:

Also those first scenes in the pilot when they find Laura's body are some of the most emotional scenes I've ever watched, and you don't even know who the hell anyone is yet, really. So far I haven't really cared about any of the actual victims - Anna is just a horseface we never knew, Becky wouldn't talk to us, Diane freaked me out AS she died but before that it's not like we got to like her. I'm way more worried about Thomas right now :ohdear:

To be fair, James was terrible, I thought Bobby sucked too until I read that Laura's diary book that was published, and the sawmill plotline makes my eyes glaze over every time. But it's still a great show beyond just Cooper's awesomeness (which is indeed a lot of awesomeness).

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Doktor von Blaze posted:

No, the song is sung by Misako Yamashita. I did some extensive research (read: entered her name on Google and looked at the first page of results) on her, but didn't find anything of interest.

You wouldn't happen to know the kanji, would you? Half-expecting her to be one of those aging mama-sans at "snack" bars that sing terrible karaoke in ballgowns for middle-aged businessmen. Come to think of it, I knew one that looked a lot like Thomas in drag.....

Oh and while I'm posting, I'd like to throw in a vote for Passion Red. Also I think every dipshit who voted on shaving should have their vote thrown out for lack of reading comprehension :colbert:

Edit: I still haven't finished TP. I stopped when David Duchovny showed up, decided between all the James (does ANYONE like that guy??) and Nadine poo poo, and having how :smith: the last episode is spoiled I jumped ship.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

Doktor von Blaze posted:

http://www.otoya-music.com/musicians/m-yamashitamisako.htm
From what I could gather using my almost nonexistent Japanese language skills, Misako Yamashita seems to be at least a semi-professional jazz musician, plays several instruments including the piano, guitar and tenor saxophone, and released an album in 2004. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a listenable version of any of the songs on that album, the best I found was an .asx link that didn't work.

Yeah, looks like she does jazz clubs and such around here in Osaka. Her blog says she teaches singing lessons. I wonder if she'd teach me the words :allears:

edit: looking at that website you linked, looks like you can book her through here for parties/events. And here I wanted to save up money for a trip to Korea...

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
finally, this scene. I accidentally saw it on YouTube a looong time ago and was wondering how it would actually come into play.

On the way Thomas was portrayed: one thing to keep in mind is that Japan, as a whole, really does not get the whole "gay" thing. I would even go as far as to say they're more understanding of trans folks than homosexuals. Put simply, they can understand "I want to be/should be a girl," they don't get "I like my penis AND other people's penises." As awesome as SWERY is, expecting a 40-something heterosexual Japanese guy to be a pioneer of progressive views on LGBT people is just asking for disappointment.

Not trying to defend it (it's one of the things that bugs me about Japan), just pointing out that assuming your values will be upheld by a culture that never had a Stonewall and still largely goes by 1950s gender roles doesn't work.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

ninotoreS posted:

Traditionally speaking, homosexuality in Japan is nowhere near as taboo as it's been in Western nations.

Please, put the textbook down before you hurt yourself. I thought the same horseshit in college, too, but it's flat-out wrong. I agree with you totally that we can't expect them to adhere to our standards, but just because Jesus didn't tell them to hate gays and they used to have male whorehouses doesn't mean they're accepting of it.

Lurking Haro posted:

Shounen Ai is also not that rare, although they are often female oriented.
There is nothing gay about shounen ai. Nothing. A lot of the women who write/consume it are homophobic themselves.

I gotta stop this before I start recounting my experiences at Osaka gay bars. To sum up: Japan is clueless about gays. They don't beat anyone to death over it, but that doesn't mean they're progressive. Now who else thinks Willie is immortal from the seeds and is creeped out over it?

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

ninotoreS posted:

Is there a taboo on homosexuality in Japan? Sure. I never said there wasn't. The point I made is that relative to Judeo-Christian cultures, said taboo in Japan isn't nearly as severe.

I didn't need a textbook to make a common sense point. Gosh.

What exactly was your point supposed to be? You claim that the taboo isn't as severe, simply because it's not a "Jesus told me" based taboo? So "not-religous-related = less severe?" How is this "common sense?" Do you have any actual contact with Japanese LGBT people? You are making some very misguided assumptions about things.

Digressing: I thought it was interesting that everyone is calling Thomas trans now. I feel like that's a bit of a stretch, but however he would've identified himself, I'm gonna miss him. :( Other than the god-awful voice acting, my main complaint for that last scene is I wish he would've gone off on Emily more. I've always liked those scenes where the good guy tries to "help" their "friend" and find out how much they couldn't stand them.

Also I would've liked Emily to run in and be like "HOLY gently caress THOMAS DID YOU SEE THOSE ZOMBIE THINGS?!? WHAT THE gently caress LET'S GET OUT OF HERE" but I knew that'd be wishful thinking.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Oh man, great update.

Between attacking Emily like that and that loving song, I think it's clear that whether George is the RK or not, Carol is the true villain of the game.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

mudcrabs posted:

I like the Deadly Premonition version of the Laura Palmer theme.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought that.
I hope that doesn't mean we're going to find Emily wrapped in a plastic tarp :ohdear:

And those audio clips of SGF somehow make the sound effects for this game sound more...logical? I don't know, but they sound like they'd be perfect for some kind of children's radio play more than an actual game.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
How dare you get rid of Fall Down Bear :mad:

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

VanityHero posted:

Previous style York looked very similar to the actor Zack Efron, and makes York look quite young of age. I wonder if they had a different voice actor, and/or even a different script lined up for him.

Same voice actors. The "Rainy Woods" trailer on Youtube had some dialog in it, but I can't remember if there's still any spoilers in there or not so not gonna link it.

All I really wanna know is if everyone called David Young Henning "Young." :psyduck:

(side note about the Nier spoiler complaints... how is a CAVIA game being sad a spoiler?)

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Ushah's terrible bedside priorities reminded me of the part in Twin Peaks where The room service waiter brings Coop's warm milk, finds him bleeding out on the floor after getting shot, and doesn't even seem to notice. I think flashing back to that scene got me extra-pissed at the doc.

I spent my entire lunch break at work watching this update. I can only imagine what people thought from the faces I was making at my iPhone. The creepiest thing by far for me was Becky re-using Anna's :downs: kiss-blowing animation.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
Oh god, I just had a thought. So people think Polly is suspicious, and Kaysen always comes to visit her, and she's always babbling about her "dear departed husband".... is it possible that her husband is Kaysen, immortal from the seeds? :ohdear:

RoeCocoa posted:

This made me laugh way too hard. Thank you.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
I love the Zach reveal, I think the last time I got that "OH poo poo!" over something like that was... when I was a little kid and saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit? for the first time :ohdear: "You remember when I turned your mom into a tree, Zach? I sounded JUST...LIKE....THIS!!"

Zach not being able to pull the trigger, and Emily pulling that tree out was badass as gently caress. Honestly other than her boys' manga-heroine cooking skills Emily is a loving awesome character. I'm honestly having trouble thinking of a female "love interest" character in ANY Japanese media that I liked as much.

In fact, speaking of characters... The townspeople going all zombie on York actually upset me at the thought that we might have to fight them. I didn't realize until then how much I took a liking to them.

Great job on this, SGF, and especially thank you for seeming to know exactly when to talk and when to let the game speak for itself, like the RK part. Although you drove me nuts when that ammo dropped in the last Kaysen fight and you didn't go over to see what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.

WrathOfBlade posted:

This game has been fantastic, I should mention.
And SGF is a genius for LPing this perfection.

Also, here is some goofy fanart inspired by Michael's fantastic choice of weaponry in the latest video.

This right here, this is the DP sequel I want to see. Sorry Zach.