Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
So York is talking on a cellphone, and smoking, and working on a laptop, while driving, in the rain, all at the same time.

And he's speeding.

Oh, and the bizarre, random conversation he's having on the phone is about the golden-age cartoon Tom and Jerry. For some reason.

I love this game already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

I am jonesing for a new update.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

And suddenly, Emily starts playing invisible bongos. And then tries to drink with her eyebrow.

I love this game. All of its low-budget flaws somehow turn into endearing charms.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Pirate_Mike posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, a number of the Japanese have a thing for the English language, it's usually why the expanded versions of the MGS games would have the English voicetrack with Japanese subtitles.

So SWERY65 was either doing that to be unique, or it was cheaper to have just English audio for a budget game that would probably sell better in America and Europe.

Considering the game is a love-letter to an American TV series, it seems apparent that SWERY65 had an American audience in mind first and foremost.

Xenoveritas posted:

No. Scones taste good.

Actually I guess you could say a US biscuit is like a scone, if someone decided to quadruple the amount of butter the recipe required.

I guess biscuits are mostly a southern thing, I can't remember the last time I had one. The last time I've seen one was a KFC, but having eaten at KFC before, I know enough not to repeat the mistake.

Hardees, McDonalds, Burger King, etc... their breakfast menus are filled with biscuits. Up north, too, same as anywhere in the US. In a quality restaurant, however, yeah, they're mostly just a southern thing.

Also, they're primarily a breakfast food, particularly the farther north you go, so if you're the kind of person that usually skips breakfast, that could be another reason you don't see them often.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Hmm.

I'm starting to wonder if York is actually the killer. Maybe "Zach" is his evil alter-ego, the guy with the axe? Sort of fits, I guess. There was that kid in his earlier dream sequence that I suspect is York as a child... maybe that represents his good side? And then these "shadows" and what-not are manifestations of his evil side, and they're trying to dominate all of him -- hence why they "want [his] body", and are literally trying to get inside him.

No clue yet what the seeds and red vines have to do with any of it, though.

Also, the game seems to be trying hard to paint George as the killer (red vines on his house, the "Norman Bates" innuendo, his suspicious whereabouts during York's first encounter with the axe guy and the shadows, he's an rear end in a top hat the player is clearly intended to dislike, etc). But that's gotta be a red herring, right?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

I'll stop tagging since you're all saying it's okay not to. I was just being careful, anyway.

Blenheim posted:

More speculation: I had similar thoughts, albeit not with a detailed theory like yours. I'm dearly hoping he's not the killer, though, as I haven't liked a character this much in a long time. I also would wonder, if it were the case, if there wouldn't be a little backlash to the gaming world's enthusiastic embrace of a guy who's a serial killer, albeit apparently unwittingly. Not much - I mean, this is the internet, after all. But a little.

Well, the idea that York is a schizophrenic with a murderous alter-ago wouldn't make me stop liking him, or feel bad about liking him. It didn't make me dislike John Cusack's character in Vacancy once you learned that plot twist. The notion that a schizophrenic is trying to defeat an evil side of himself isn't ignoble. Afterall, you could say that scenario is just a more dramatic version of the same inner conflict we all deal with, right?

Sheen Sheen posted:

Not only that, but I'm starting to wonder if there's a Cable Guy-type scenario going on--like at some point, the sheriff is gonna call FBI headquarters and ask for information on York, and they're either going to say "we have no record of anyone named 'York' working for us," or "York? We fired him years ago. He's an extremely dangerous psychopath, don't let him investigate any red-seed murders in your town." It would certainly fit the spergy knowledge of movies aspect of his personality, anyways...

SGF, this is an amazing LP, keep up the good work!

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. I mean, how does this little town really know York is who he says he is? How do WE know that?

The movie Surveillance (2008) comes to mind.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

Here you go, on sale! Though it probably won't go quite so fast.

I want a clock that goes backwards, but with a normal number face.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

He did tell the sheriff that his superior contacted the sheriff's superior and inform him of York's arrival in the first update.

Well, I brought up Surveillance to finish the thought, but I guess I should have elaborated.

In that movie, the two killers are posing as FBI agents, and that's the movie's big twist. However, there really were two FBI agents -- the killers intercepted them, killed them, and took their identities. And they got away with it, because the rural police didn't have any idea what the two FBI agents were supposed to look like. They saw the badges and the suits and just took their word for it.

Theoretical schizo-killer-York could be doing the same thing, given the situation.

Anyway, if I had to bet on a prediction for Deadly Premonition's plot, I wouldn't bet on this one. It's just an idea that occurred to me.

I think the idea that "Zach" is just an analogue for the player is probably true. And while I do think York has some sort of mental condition he's hiding from everyone, it's not directly connected to whoever killed Anna Graham.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

The Proofreader posted:

There are problems with the scenario.

You're right, of course.

But like other people have pointed out, I'm still not sure just how much credit I should give the game's writing. Maybe it will unabashedly have dozens of gaping plot-holes, because SWERY65 was more concerned with being surreal than logical.

How subtle should we expect this plot to be? Take George, for example. There's all kinds of seemingly deliberate indications that he's the evil guy with the axe. So should I give the plot enough credit to expect this to be a red herring, or are the mysteries in the game really so obvious as that?

I really don't have any idea at this point, because I have no experience whatsoever with the author's previous work.

The Proofreader posted:

Man, if this is York HIDING his mental condition...

I recall someone saying in this thread awhile back that York will get called out on his talking to "Zach" pretty soon.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Yargh posted:

"They both need each other. It's called 'inter-dependency.'"
"Yeah, I know it. He does terrible things to Tom. Nasty, even sadistic things. But that's fine, as long as it's what Tom wants."
"Well in the Tom and Jerry show they live with each other--"

All that is juxtaposed with photos (on the laptop) of other women killed, and red seeds. Tom and Jerry rant may not be that crazy, as maybe Anna (and the other women) can be "Tom". Anna was in affiliation with a "cult", acting out (smoking, racy photos found in locked dresser), there's someone she may have been associated with who was "Jerry"?

Not that this is any lead, just saying, I was dumbfounded by the Tom and Jerry ramble at first, but now not so much...maybe.

Huh.

Well, I'm hesitant to bring up again an idea that I've already said I don't really expect to be true, but now that you mention it, the Tom and Jerry conversation has me going back to the idea that York is a schizo with an evil alter-ego.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Are we actually arguing now about why the game is fun?

Seriously?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

DWK posted:

I don't know who the heck Calvin and Hobbes are, but this is excellent!

Tragic.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

likecnsnnts posted:

That's gotta be creepy for the citizens to see, the weird FBI guy who talks to himself keeping a collection of copies of their cars.

I love everything about this post.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

SGF...

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I really appreciate your exceptional dedication to this LP, as demonstrated by you replaying the entire game up till this point after the previous save got borked. Considering how many times you've surely played DP already, that must have been a huge chore for you, and all for our sake.

Anyway, regarding the last couple of updates...

For some reason I had this sneaking suspicion that Carol was actually a cross-dressing Thomas, like his alter-ego.

But there they both are in the bar with everyone else around, so so much for that theory.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Lotish posted:

But... Carol walked in during the town meeting while Thomas was on stage. Not to mention we saw them together in the bar in the intro-movie, so...

Oh yeah, they were both physically present during the town meeting, weren't they. Forgot that.

The game's intro cutscene, though, I was prepared to disregard as just a sort of misleading surreal moment, like we were seeing both of them because that was what Thomas imagined and the scene was framed from his perspective. In that brief scene, there was no one else visible around, only the two of them.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Sure seems to me like every 21-39 year old female character in the game looks vaguely like a man in drag, EXCEPT for Emily. She is the only exception.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

With all her glitchy trippy animations, sincere voice-acting, and bizarre dialogue, Sigourney is now my second favorite character in the game.

I wonder, did the developers deliberately have her stare slowly at the camera at 21:07 in the video, or was that just a coincidence?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Eh, Sigourney is too much of an over-the-top take on Log Lady. It's the same gimmick, except with a somehow even less believable character, in an unendearing way. Maybe it's just because I hate her voice.

The erratic animation has a lot do with it (randomly slowing down or speeding up, or freezing completely except for the head which still follows York around, etc. and so forth), and that's purely a game-related thing.

Maybe it's just my sense of humor.

For example, I was significantly disappointed that The General was sitting in his chair 'correctly' in this last video.

(btw, "believable character" isn't criteria I'm expecting or wanting from any aspect of this game whatsoever, personally)

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

George seems more suspicious than ever, now.

- The Raincoat Killer's roar at the end of the York-must-hide section sounds like his voice-actor.

- Interesting how George is the one who insists on hastily cutting the wire and 'accidentally' finishing off Becky.

- George's apparent discomfort -- even disgust -- at Emily leaning on his chest continues to underscore the whole "Norman Bates" vibe going on with him. Perhaps the only time he can get it on with women is when he's adopting his alter-ego as the killer? You know, before he murders the poo poo out of them. It seems to me like it's implied in both Anna and Becky's profiling that the killer rapes the women first.

And speaking of Emily, I'm beginning to wonder when she's going to be targeted. We all know it's gonna happen. End-game sequence, perhaps?

Oh, and as for the whole "Why doesn't York just confront the Raincoat Killer in these 'otherworld' sections?" question, I'm all but certain now that the Raincoat Killer York 'encounters' and the actual killer aren't the same guy at all, that the former is purely something going on in York's head. I suppose that's always been pretty obvious.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Blenheim posted:

Convenient, then, that she has her tongue hacked off and can't speak to object or yell "there's the guy!". Also, if we're going the Norman Bates route, then getting back at a hectoring mother by cutting off her proxies tongues' would be significant.

George still is seeming way too obvious a suspect, though.

I agree, it does seem too obvious.

But that goes back to the question of just how much credit should SWERY be given as a writer. Maybe it's so conspicuous because it's just not very good writing.

OR...

Maybe that's the wrong way to look at it.

Maybe the game's true climactic reveal isn't who the killer is, but just what the hell is going on with York?

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

The third profiling sequence showed quite a hint on who the Raincoat killer might be.

At 24:30 you can clearly see that it's a very muscular male, which narrows it down to the gas station guy, the cook, Rock'n'Roll guy and the General I guess?

Certainly not Thomas, or Mr. Stewart and his aide, or the darker-skinned doctor.

Remember those dumbbells George has? His self-professed best friends in life?

Male of the Century posted:

He shot the guy in the beginning of the game and it didn't do anything, from there he's just going off the assumption "don't gently caress with this guy".

A nightmare figment of the mind that represents some sort of dire truth about oneself (or simply insanity) is probably going to be immune to bullets.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Looks like a red wig to me.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Wheeze posted:

Nah, we've already ruled George out. He doesn't have a back tattoo.

York for some reason decides it's a tattoo, but I've never really understood why he makes that conclusion, because the actual flashback profiling we see makes it look a lot more like some sort of vest the killer wears, with the inverted peace sign on it. Surely everyone has noticed that?

squirrelnow posted:

Considering he just ignored all protests and cut the wire anyway, destroying any chance of Becky being saved, I think any disgust he's feeling is towards the Raincoat Killer for setting up the whole thing and himself for falling for it. Considering George's obsession over protecting the town and the people in it, I'd be surprised if this didn't rattle him.

George is crooked, somehow or another. I'm pretty much certain now. If George isn't the killer, then he's like some sort of red-seed cultist or something, an accomplice to the killer. I'd bet money on it. I'm sorely tempted to google it and just prove it to myself... argh, must stay strong.

Previously I've been entertaining the notion that all the hints about George represented a red herring, because they've just been so conspicuous... but now I think I've seen enough of the plot to get a feel for SWERY's writing, and I just don't think he's subtle enough for that sort of clever misdirection.

I mean, the game has its quirky charms and its eccentric personality is what makes us love it, but at this point I think it's clear that the writing, plotting, directing, etc. in the game isn't particularly sophisticated. Hence, for example, all this current discussion over the clumsy illogic / silliness regarding some of the aspects of the Becky-death-scene.

Why was the scene painfully dumb in some ways? Because the whole game is like a grindhouse movie, of course, replete with all the charming low-quality aspects you'd expect of such a production... aspects like contrived-to-the-point-of-being-goofy dramatic scenes, excessively conspicuous foreshadowing, and obvious-well-before-the-point plot reveals.

Well, anyway, although I'm disappointed that it already seems obvious (to me, at least) who the killer is, I'm still completely clueless as to what's going on with York.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Wow this is like some Se7en poo poo now. Is this all a over complicated trap to goad York into submitting to his inner demons? That would be pretty cool I think.

Oooo, that's an interesting idea. I like this.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

e. Just thought of something--the characters did not actually take that long to react to George. Everything happened in a few seconds. Thomas dropped the pliers, York yelled at George, and then George snipped the wire before anyone could stop him or help Becky. All the face zooms obscure the rapidity of events.

You should watch the video again, it's getting silly how some of you guys keep trying to rationalize this.

FULLY 11 SECONDS PASS between when York yells "Stop!" and George finally manages to cut the wire. From 27:51 to 28:02. And all during that time York just stands there with his thumb up his rear end despite his emphatic protest, and everyone stares and ignores Becky saying "No!" over and over again (and don't you or anyone else dare try to say it isn't obvious she's saying that). And there's no slow-motion going on or anything, so there isn't that excuse.

It's a scene with some contrived, clumsy directing to it. Just accept that and quit trying to defend the indefensible, people.

Doesn't mean you have to quit liking the game... afterall, don't most of us like DP for reasons distinctly in exception of the typical standards by which a game or movie or TV show is usually judged? It's the silly aspects of scenes like this that are part of what give the game its goofy charm.

whowhatwhere posted:

For the people who suspect George: how do you explain all the other murders York's investigated?

I can explain it by pointing out the assumption in your question: why does it have to be the same perp?

The game has made it clear to us at this point that this whole red-seed thing surrounding the killings is part of some sort of larger cult or movement or whatever. It's simple: the same poo poo that's going down in Greenvale now has gone down in other places, with different perps... it's the red-seed thing that connects it all, not a single killer.

Edit: Yeah, what Male of the Century says. If you need a character link to the other incidences York has investigated, it's probably Kaysen. And that doesn't mean he's the killer(s) himself (indeed, in the profiling it looks pretty clear it can't be Kaysen... too round and fat, not muscular).

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Well, alright then. It's just seemed a bit to me like some of you almost feel like you're obligated to defend it. But you don't need to!

I agree insofar as the notion that the scene is just fine the way it is... it's classic Deadly Premonition. If these cutscenes were impeccably realistic, organic, and fluid, it wouldn't be the same game at all.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

While I agree the scene is flawed, you're assuming that slow motion is necessary to extend things for dramatic effect, which isn't true. It's reasonably common to extend the time at which things occur in order to allow multiple angles and shots. York really should have been moving forward or something, but the time in which something occurs in a movie/cutscene/television show/whatever is not always supposed to be 1-for-1 with the actual time it takes to occur.

Sure.

And there's camera tricks to pull off that sensation of visually stretched out time that excludes intervening action, communicating it to the audience.

None of which this particular scene in DP actually pulls off.

Only zooming in on character's faces in real-time isn't such a method. Or at least, not one that actually works... as is evident by all this back and forth discussion in the thread.

"you're assuming that slow motion is necessary to extend things for dramatic effect, which isn't true"

Btw, this is putting words in my mouth. Was it really not clear that I only brought up slow-motion as simply one example of a method to communicate stretched out time?

I mentioned slow-motion's absence in particular only to point out the absence of any such (successful) methods in the scene. I'm fully aware slo-mo is just one (rather overused) way of doing it.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Man.

I've gotten so that it is genuinely a highlight of my day when there's a new update for this LP.

I'm... a little bit depressed about this.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

TheAdmiral posted:

Wild Speculation Time! What if George is the killer and she knows it? That would give her a reason to distrust authority; even the FBI.

Hey. Good point.

The case against George ever strengthens.

KnifeWrench posted:

She definitely chose her words such that she didn't want to talk to "cops" of any kind..

George being the boss of all the local "cops of any kind", it's plausible that a character in Becky's situation would want to avoid the police entirely if she knows said police boss is the Bad Guy.

quote:

..but really, if the local police are who you're afraid of, the FBI showing up at your doorstep would be like winning the lottery.

It's still shaky.

You have a point, insofar as that a character in Becky's situation SHOULD understand that federal cops are distinctly separate from the local police and their chief, provided that she's not completely clueless in life...

...but this is SWERY's writing, and his writing can be dumb.

Or in other words, it's shaky, but not too shaky for Deadly Premonition.

But you know... we don't have to justify it like that. With a bit more thought, a more developed scenario unfolds that's perfectly sound.

It's confirmed that Becky was part of whatever's going on with the red-seed thing, which may well be sensitive or even incriminating in and of itself in some fashion (like a drug trade or something, or a cult that insists on secrecy).

Thus, that reason alone may be why she didn't want anything to do with York, despite knowing she could trust him when she couldn't trust the police.

This all fits with this theoretical scenario:

- There's a secret red-seed cult or drug-trade or something in Greenvale, many townspeople are part of it

- Becky and Anna were members, along with many others in town, like probably Diane and Kaysen, and those indirectly involved, like Clint

- a member of this organization, probably a senior one, goes rogue or crazy or both, and decides to 'sacrifice' Anna for some reason having to do with the cult's beliefs... or if it's simply a drug trade, maybe the killer's been abusing the red-seed drug himself and it's made him insane with psychotic delusions

- whatever the killer's deal, Becky knows who the killer is, and she knows the killer knows she knows (lol)

- but the killer is George, the chief of police who rules the town (as York specifically puts it more than once) like a "king", and so she can't just go to the police, effectively the lion's own den

- and she can't go to the FBI agent who arrived in town, because then that would blow the whistle on EVERYONE in the cult / drug-trade

- and so she hides away in her house and tries to get a message out to her sister, to warn everyone else in the organization about George so that they can deal with him internally or at least protect themselves

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

ETB posted:

It seems like that the locket is a bad luck charm for those who carry it. I'm purely speculating here, but Carol is probably going to be the next victim as York investigates Diane and Nick.

I had thought Becky's note/journal made it clear that the locket probably has the picture of the killer in it.

I think I need to go back and watch that part of update 19 again, because now that I think of it, I can't recall exactly what Becky said in the note. Phrasing and such.

edit:

Okay... the locket actually belongs to the killer himself, according to what Becky wrote. Which means it probably has a picture of someone whom indirectly incriminates the killer.

I'm all but convinced now that the killer is George, and so that means the picture is probably of George's mysterious mom.

Something else jumped out at me... Becky refers to Diane as someone the killer "wouldn't dare to harm", so while Diane isn't the killer, she must be somebody high-ranking in the red-seed conspiracy going on in Greenvale, of which presumably the killer is a part of, and so Diane must be either his equal or even superior in the organization/cult.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

That anguished noise he made as he passed it was great.

It's the little things like this in regard to SGF that give this LP personality apart from what's supplied from the game itself.

I also liked how when he gets in his sweet new ride today, the first thing SGF / Zach-York does is turn on his high-beams and window wipers. In broad daylight and perfect weather. Oh, and the always-on turn signal.

SGF seems to be one of those people in life that has perfect dead-pan comic discipline.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, American media uses it constantly too. "Ha ha, this person is a comically bad chef" is pretty common and it kind of has to be done with a character who the characters won't just tell to gently caress off when they offer up a giant bowl full of rancid mush. It's also often usually a female character (and therefore often a love interest) because it's supposed to be "funny" when a woman can't cook.

It's certainly a stock Japanese trope, but it's also not exclusively a Japanese one. Comically bad cooking from someone whose food you have to eat to be polite is just kind of a universal thing. York is fun that way because he gives no two shits about being polite, but eats it anyway.

"No, American media uses it constantly too. "Ha ha, this person is a comically bad chef" is pretty common"

What they're trying tell you is that in Japanese media it's A LOT more frequent than just "pretty common".

It's a trope specifically involving boy-meets-girl-courtship-phase context, and a similar such trope with this specific context isn't seen anywhere near so commonly in other cultures. Okay? The half dozen of us geeks in agreement here should say something to you.

I think I can say without hyperbole that 7 in 10 shounen/seinen genre anime feature this trope at some point in the story. And, like, 9.9 times in 10 if it's one of those pathetic "harem" animes, with at least one of the parade of melon-breasted female characters (plus token pedo loli character) having it as a defining trait.

Anyway, it's plainly apparent fact to me that this is a trope the Japanese are particularly obsessed with. If one doubts that, then I think you haven't seen enough Japanese media (which is probably a good thing) to know better.

Rather, what I question is whether or not Deadly Premonition in particular is actually doing that with York and Emily. *Is* there really romantic undertones being alluded to there? Even foreshadowed? I don't know. That presumption seems pretty questionable at this point.

The idea of York becoming intimate during this storyline with ANYONE seems very... alien to me.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It seems like a deconstruction of the trope to me. With politeness what it is in Japanese culture, York's utter lack of it is definitely a statement. I also think it's clear by now that Swery is a pretty clever guy with a good sense of humor.

York also seems pretty uninterested in women. It's unclear what this means about his sexuality, but he's definitely got his libido in check either way.

What libido?

You might well be right about it being a deconstruction. If York and Emily are gonna get truly close at some point in the story, York has some pretty drastic character development to go through first.

He is the embodiment of "a man apart". An island surrounded by a reef with shores ringed by a 20-foot fence. With strange and bizarre flora and fauna.

If the story's big twist is that York is actually a space-alien... you know, it would fit.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Happiness for me right now is a SGF Deadly Premonition LP update on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Woah. Not quite sure what to make of that development there at the end.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like to concede a point!

You seem to be willfully ignoring the part about the courtship angle to the Japanese trope that those western-media examples of yours predominantly lack.

Also, we're talking a constantly recurring, character-defining trait here. Not some obscure, single-episode incidence in a TV series with hundreds of episodes.

If you look long enough, you can find something resembling any sort of trope in existence in some episode at some point in the series length of long-running shows like Star Trek, Seinfeld, Beverly Hillbillies, Home Improvement, etc. Sort of a "Simpsons did it!" thing.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Wow.

Okay.

What an update.

- George is sooooooo the killer.

All I'm pondering now about him is the possibility that he's genuinely unaware of his killer alter-ego.

- When Thomas was first introduced and it became apparent how feminine he was, I got this idea that Carol was his cross-dressing alter-ego. That was wrong, of course... but I wasn't far off!

- Apparently SWERY doesn't realize that westerners don't wear ballroom gowns out for drinking.

- I really hope Carol dies next so we don't have to hear her horrific singing anymore.

- So, apparently Emily is the only truly sane primary-character in this game.

- Kaysen and Diane, friends with benefits.

lol?

Pretty sure Kaysen can't even see his own penis without using a mirror.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

KillerQueen posted:

One profiling sequence showed the killer removing a red raincoat to reveal the reversed peace sign. Since only one other character, the shadow, has been seen with a red raincoat, people have made the logical conclusion that they are one and the same.

That's more of a presumption than a truly sound, logical conclusion.

The sort of presumption a storyteller anticipates and uses to fool the audience.

Wheeze posted:

We actually saw him before the otherworld section at the beginning, when he stepped in front of York's car. That pretty much confirms that the Raincoat Killer is a real dude, unless that cutscene was part of the otherworld, I guess.

The idea here is that the raincoat axe dude is a figment of York's imagination. You know, because he's insane. So said figment steps in front of York's car, and York wrecks trying to avoid it, because that's what crazy people do -- believe things are there that actually aren't.

Anyway, the shadow-world was already in effect when York climbed out of the wreck, so it seems apparent that the axe-guy's sudden appearance in the road signified the onset of the shadow-world.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

cmykjester posted:

Chiming in giving up lurking besides my unfounded crippling fear of getting banned.

You can still read most of these forums (including the LP forum, iirc) without an account, you know. You just can't post. So if you prefer to lurk anyway...

quote:

Also this game is great in the fact that you honestly have no idea at all whom the killer is.

Speak for yourself. I think it's pretty obvious now that George is the killer. Been certain ever since Becky's murder.

And frankly, it shouldn't have even taken me that long, because SGF went to George's home early in the LP, and we saw that the entire back of his house is completely covered in red vines, and SGF conspicuously avoided mentioning anything whatsoever about it.

It occurs to me now that SGF wanted us to see those vines, and yet he didn't want it to be obvious that he was showing them to us. And that carries clear implications, of course.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Whelp, we know now that Thomas is going to be dead, or about to be dead (à la Diane), whenever he's finally found, because George the killer had to off him to cover his tracks... and perhaps frame Thomas as the killer himself.

I suppose that will make Thomas sacrifice #4, meaning the killer will believe he's achieved immortality at that point, right? I wonder how that'll play out.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Zorak posted:

Remember that the interactions between the Raincoat Killer and York have all been in the Other World, which is for all we know just an internalization of York's "THERE'S A MYSTERY AFOOT", much like the Profiling Premonitions that always accompany it.

Yeah. And since this latest Other World section went on inside well traveled, previously visited locations in the police station (e.g. the office room where Thomas and Emily could be visited in previous chapters), it seems to me more obvious than ever that the Other World is entirely inside York's head... and so of course that probably makes York's previous 'encounters' with the RKK equally illusory.

Phelddagrif posted:

My prime suspect at this point is Michael (Harry's assistant). There are only four people who knew that York was after the 1956 files - Harry and Michael (from when Harry asked York to bring them) and George and Emily (they only knew once York told them, and they couldn't have had time to get them to the waterfall and back). This is, of course, assuming that Harry really is old and wheel-chair bound; if there's some kind of supernatural force involved, as is most likely the case, it's possible Harry could be the killer as well.

Michael?

Files safely locked away inside a police station are removed by the apparent killer. So, apply Occam's razor: making the fewest assumptions, how can the police characters in the plot not instantly become the prime suspects?

I don't know how anyone can still have any doubt that the killer is George. It's being set up so hard as the incredibly obvious Big Twist of the plot.

Well, other than the eventual outright reveal that York is crazy himself, of course.

quote:

and George and Emily (they only knew once York told them)

There is absolutely no reason to assume that. Except maybe in Emily's case.

quote:

if there's some kind of supernatural force involved, as is most likely the case

I think it's gonna turn out that there's nothing supernatural going on anywhere about any of this, and from the player's perspective all indications to the contrary stem entirely from York's private insanity.

The killer is crazy, he has some sort of sex-cult friends in town that are a little crazy (and whom he's killing now), and the FBI agent sent to investigate the first murder also happens to be crazy.

Of the 'main' characters, I'm thinking Emily's gonna turn out to be the only one who isn't secretly loony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Phelddagrif posted:

But when York suggested going fishing at the waterfall, George encouraged him, was even enthusiastic about the idea. If George had really thrown the case of files over that waterfall, wouldn't he have the opposite reaction?

Not if he knew the handwriting on the docs was Thomas'. Then he knows he can use it to cast suspicion away from him, even frame someone else.

Also, refer to the thing about it being a "big twist". The plot is trying to -- clumsily -- throw us off George's scent... despite the plethora of evidence stacked up against him since the beginning of the game.

Btw, at this point I'm still speculating whether or not George is even consciously aware of his killer alter-ego. He's probably just as crazy as York. The obvious 'Norman Bates' parallels regarding George certainly hint at that.