Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entrox
Jul 9, 2005

Let us make a journey to the cave of monsters!
Hey, finally a thread about Mercedes-Benz! My current driver is a 2010 C350 CDI, but I'll switch to Smart next year (oh boy :().

The Third Man posted:

Mercedes powertrains are awesome, I don't understand why they don't offer a manual transmission option in ANY of their cars...

Currently, manual transmission is standard on the A-, B-, C(LC)-, E-, SLK and GLK-Class for the 4-cylinder models, but it's possible that those aren't sold on U.S. market. Frankly, I don't understand why manual is still being offered - Mercedes-Benz is all about comfort and cruising in luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

CornHolio posted:

I love that interior. No, seriously. I want a 747 cockpit in my Mercedes.

edit: is that a Casio calculator in the center???

Those Recaros with the controls on the bolster are rare and worth a fortune. They were one of those off-the-books options that ran over $10k back in the 80s.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

sorry, The E-Class coupe is mercedes' best looker right now (except maybe a CL63 in black...UNF)

I just spent a week and a half in an E350 Bluetec, one of the best non-sports sedans I've ever driven. Benz is back to building cars like they used to.

entrox posted:

Hey, finally a thread about Mercedes-Benz! My current driver is a 2010 C350 CDI, but I'll switch to Smart next year (oh boy :().

Who did you piss off to get that deal

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

entrox posted:

Currently, manual transmission is standard on the A-, B-, C(LC)-, E-, SLK and GLK-Class for the 4-cylinder models, but it's possible that those aren't sold on U.S. market. Frankly, I don't understand why manual is still being offered - Mercedes-Benz is all about comfort and cruising in luxury.

The only current cars in the US that MB sells that has a manual is the C300 Sport Sedan and the CLK300 coupe. The C350 Sport has the 7 speed auto as does the CLK350.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

redscare posted:

I just spent a week and a half in an E350 Bluetec, one of the best non-sports sedans I've ever driven. Benz is back to building cars like they used to
That's good to see. I am a MB fanboy and it was horrible seeing the company going downhill in quality around the mid 90s. It's good reading classic car mags where even 1960s MBs are consider a level above most other cars, and how everything in them still feels showroom fresh.

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

skipdogg posted:

The only current cars in the US that MB sells that has a manual is the C300 Sport Sedan and the CLK300 coupe. The C350 Sport has the 7 speed auto as does the CLK350.

Ya they have pretty much no sticks, buy most of them have paddle shifters, which even after a good amount of time using, I have still not gotten used to.

The other day I read that they are developing a car to compete with the 1 series and A3, which should be exciting.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Cushy posted:

Ya they have pretty much no sticks, buy most of them have paddle shifters, which even after a good amount of time using, I have still not gotten used to.

The other day I read that they are developing a car to compete with the 1 series and A3, which should be exciting.

Why? It'll probably be another C230 Kompressor

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
My dad is looking for an iPhone kit for his 2005 CLS with COMMAND, are there many decent intergration options?

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

Das Volk posted:

Those Recaros with the controls on the bolster are rare and worth a fortune. They were one of those off-the-books options that ran over $10k back in the 80s.

10k :wth: those seats cost more than a Accord.

Do they have a specific model name?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Yeticopter posted:

Why? It'll probably be another C230 Kompressor

They still make those overseas as the CLC. They look even dumber with the new C-class front end.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Chunderbuss posted:

My dad is looking for an iPhone kit for his 2005 CLS with COMMAND, are there many decent intergration options?

well, there is an official benz kit, afaik, but lets just say installation isn't all that easy and the part alone costs an assload.

edit: whoops, thought you meant iPod, disregard.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 2, 2010

Upgrayedd
Apr 25, 2004
When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious shit

Das Volk posted:

I saw a 1981 500SEL AMG in decent shape for sale with those Recaros a while back. The car was an unfortunate color, but I was kinda interested anyways. How much are the seats and/or the whole car actually worth these days?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

entrox posted:

I don't think any of the sticks make it to the US these days. I've never driven a Mercedes stick but I've always heard them described as less-than-desirable manual gearboxes, as opposed to what you'd find in a BMW or a Mazda.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.

Frank Dillinger posted:

well, there is an official benz kit, afaik, but lets just say installation isn't all that easy and the part alone costs an assload.

edit: whoops, thought you meant iPod, disregard.

Surely they would be similar? Only really worried about making the COMMAND's controls work for answering the phone/handsfree, which it already does for another type of phone.

Any options other than handing a blank cheque to the dealer?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think any of the sticks make it to the US these days. I've never driven a Mercedes stick but I've always heard them described as less-than-desirable manual gearboxes, as opposed to what you'd find in a BMW or a Mazda.

Certainly the 4-speed in my 240d is nothing to write home about. You feel very removed from the gearbox when shifting. Remember that video arcade classic "Hard Drivin"? It's a lot like that shifter. It doesn't actually feel like you are moving anything beyond the shifter itself. However, it will remind you that there is actually a physical link between the shifter and the cogbox if you overrun the syncros. Other than that, nothing. I wouldn't have the car without the manual though. No way do I want a 30 year old Mercedes automatic mystery box.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

trouser chili posted:

No way do I want a 30 year old Mercedes automatic mystery box.
Who made MB automatics back then?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm guessing Mercedes did. The 240d autobox from my year is the W3A040, which appears to be Mercedes only in application.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mad Dragon posted:

Mercedes Benz makes all their own automatic gearboxes. Like Peugeot used to (not sure if it is still the case) make their own shock absorbers for their cars. The Mercedes autos aren't scary, as long as they are properly maintained. They are not a minefield like the Chrysler A604.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You Am I posted:

Mercedes Benz makes all their own automatic gearboxes.
Ah. I figured they used someone like hydromatic or ZF, like BMW does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mercedes automatics are pretty drat godly, though. I absolutely loved the one in our '97 E320.

The rest of the car fell apart around it, but the drivetrain in that thing was awesome.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My wife drives an 5 year old A150, which is both slow and ugly, but also cheap for a mercedes and very spacious. It's almost a guilty pleasure driving an automatic after 15 years of driving manuals. I don't think they were ever sold in the US though.

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

cynic posted:

My wife drives an 5 year old A150, which is both slow and ugly, but also cheap for a mercedes and very spacious. It's almost a guilty pleasure driving an automatic after 15 years of driving manuals. I don't think they were ever sold in the US though.

none of the vans are, although they were planning on bringing the B class to America for a while, but it never came.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Cushy posted:

none of the vans are, although they were planning on bringing the B class to America for a while, but it never came.

That's because they realized nobody would buy one

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror

redscare posted:

That's because they realized nobody would buy one

ya, they aren't big enough for this country

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Cushy posted:

ya, they aren't big enough for this country

They're also way too dinky to be a proper Mercedes, it would do too much damage to their brand image

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
We have the B class in Canada, but it's not breaking any sales records.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
~my e55~

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

The only current cars in the US that MB sells that has a manual is the C300 Sport Sedan and the CLK300 coupe.

:eng101: CLK isn't sold anymore. The SLK300 has a manual though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Anyone here ever replace a water pump on a W123 240d? I'm about to.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Well I'm halfway through my water pump replacement. Since I'm new to the car, I'm taking my time and carefully making each step. The car is still proving to be remarkably easy to work on. I was reading there were some space issue getting the fan off, guys were talking about grinding down 10mm box-end wrenches and things. However I was able to shove my fat paws in place with a ratchet and 10mm socket just fine.

The fan shroud was held in place by two easy clips at the top, and an interference fit at the bottom. The fan came loose with four bolts.

The water pump is driven by the alternator belt, and the alternator mount provides tension, so the alternator had to come loose. This gave me the most trouble. There was a nut on the back of the alternator mount that had to be loosened and access was interfered by an A/C hose. I was able to get a small adjustable wrench on it though, and then run the tension mechanism down until I could remove the pully from the water pump.

The water pump itself was held in by 5 easily accessed bolts. They came easy, and with the first one out it began pissing coolant from the hole. I think I will re-install the bolts with a bit of RTV on them. With all the bolts removed, the water pump will rest in place. Rubber mallet application to the old water pump is suggested, however I couldn't find mine so I used a 1/2 inch drive Craftsman ratchet to bang on it. It came out easily enough, and the gasket remained stuck to the water pump. I sprayed some orange cleaner on the gasket surface on the engine side and called it a night cause I had to put the kids to bed. I'll finish up tomorrow (now today).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Try and replace a water pump on a six cylinder model of that car. Bloody knuckles indeed.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

Try and replace a water pump on a six cylinder model of that car. Bloody knuckles indeed.

I bet, the turbodiesel (300D) are a five cylinder though, is that what you are talking about? Do the 300D have different engine mounting? I'd guess it have to be a bit further back in the bay.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

wav3form posted:

Did you downshift? The C230s are depressingly slow.

They really are. My dad has a '98 SLK230 that he will not get rid of despite it being a horrendous money pit and a giant piece of poo poo in general, and it is slow as poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

trouser chili posted:

I bet, the turbodiesel (300D) are a five cylinder though, is that what you are talking about? Do the 300D have different engine mounting? I'd guess it have to be a bit further back in the bay.
No, a petrol six like the 280 motor

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

No, a petrol six like the 280 motor

Ah. Yeah never messed with that. Those are the relatively low-spec gas engines, correct? Just reiterates how while I love the cars like the 6.9 and the Grosser I'd never ever ever be convinced to own one.

Anyway, I made NO progress today.

Here's my working environment. A nice thing about the Mercedes W123 cars is how wide the hood will open. One can theoretically pull an engine without removing the hood. And at full-open they are positively locked up, so they can't fall on you.

A little closer shot of the bits I'm working on. Very easy to reach and do anything.

This may actually be working to my detriment. I'm used to having little access, awkward angles and impossible to torque bolts. With so much room I snapped a water pump bolt with ease.

The loving thing is tiny anyway. I'm afraid after years of hitting IH trucks with progressively larger hammers I've become perhaps a bit brutish in my work. Anyway, the other end of the drat thing was nearly flush with the block, but enough stuck out I was able to slot it with a Dremel and screw it out with a flathead.

So I guess until I can get to the hardware store tomorrow I can just shove this thing up my rear end and twirl it around.

To add insult to injury, the parts-car 240d wouldn't start. I put it outside to work on the good car and it got down to like 15 degrees last night, so in the early morning it just chugged for a bit, made some smoke, and drained it's battery. I drove the pickup to work and plugged a charger into the battery of the parts car, I also got smart enough to plug in the block heater. DERP.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The twin cam 2.8lt motor was pretty good, but it depends which country the car was delivered to. The smogged US cars were far more sluggish than the European/Australian motors. Smooth as butter as well. I wish MB would go back to straight sixes.

KlementGottwald
Dec 24, 2009

by angerbot

You Am I posted:

The twin cam 2.8lt motor was pretty good, but it depends which country the car was delivered to. The smogged US cars were far more sluggish than the European/Australian motors. Smooth as butter as well. I wish MB would go back to straight sixes.

The Straight-6's time has come and gone :(. Lovely engines, but even BMW may stop with them soon, if the next 3 is any indication. The V6 just makes more sense packaging wise.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Das Volk posted:

Here's a $4k W126 that looks like it has these Recaros:

No idea who modified this one. It might be a Lorinser W126, as the grille has been molded into the body. Crank windows means it's a Euro model. Whoever created this was on cocaine, that's for sure.

(the car is a POS but worth the parts if you buy it when the impound lot auctions it)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/2103865858.html

MATLAB 1988 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CornHolio posted:

I love that interior. No, seriously. I want a 747 cockpit in my Mercedes.

edit: is that a Casio calculator in the center???

It looks to me like there are actually TWO calculators!

One is between the seats, the other is hiding behind the gear stick.

I love the utter lunacy of that setup. If a thief ever broke into that car he take one look at the sheer acreage of controls and burst into tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gorilla Salad posted:

It looks to me like there are actually TWO calculators!

One is between the seats, the other is hiding behind the gear stick.

I assume it's so the car can dominate the in the domain of drug deals per second.