Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2880928230.html

Is this a good deal? If I take a look at this what should I be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

How terrible of an idea is owning something like this? It seems like all the high dollar poo poo that would break wasn't optioned into the car

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Those S-Classes are pretty bullet proof other than the miles of vacuum lines. Just don't expect it to be very fast.

I'm going to look at that e23 after work today too, I figured I shouldn't limit myself to just bmws if I wanted something to crush my hopes and dreams

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4869181256.html

If I offer this person a thousand bucks how much will I wind up regretting my decision in the next year or so

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If I was in Oklahoma, I'd buy it before you. That's a really great car.

Awesome I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get down there, worse comes to worse I'll rent a car and drive down myself, it's only $140 or so

e: $1200 and it's mine

rscott fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm driving down Thursday to buy it barring some kind of insane last minute deal breaker

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is everything vacuum powered like on the 240Ds? My E30 was pretty rough inside too so I'm not too worried about convenience features being broken, it'll give me something to work on if I get bored and I can't get into my buddy's garage

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Other than the ugly exterior color (which is part of the charm) you can't go wrong. There's a you tube channel with a guy who explains a ton about these cars. His voice is annoying but the info is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1H98k8dBM

Is this the dude you're talking about?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the poo poo that he's peddling any good?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Initial impressions after driving the car 250 miles home

Tach and Odo are broken, fuel gauge is ??? as I supposedly started with half a tank, drove 250 miles at 75-80mph for the most part and now I have like either an almost empty or a slightly less than 1/4 full tank of fuel left. The reserve light didn't come on but maybe it's burnt out? The light bulb that illuminates the tach side of the cluster is. Temperatures were around 90C or whatever a little bit below the middle is falling to 80c at idle, oil pressure is at 2(what unit is this? 10x psi?) at idle and pegs at 3 when driving around.

The idle is bad. Need to adjust that. The engine is...moist around the injection pump. Need to determine where the leak is and how much it leaksIt bucks horribly at idle, so I'm sure the motor mounts are shot or on their way out by now, that's a pretty high priority on my list. Headlights seem good, battery is newish, tires need replacing, brakes are good, although the pedal feel is totally different from my E30. Steering seems fine, again completely different feel from the E30, the wheel is pretty lolbig though. Need to play more with the climate control poo poo but the heat works, the AC probably needs recharging. Right rear window is hosed, it'll go down but you have to really jiggle the door just right to get it to come back up. Driver's side one works fine, passenger does not move, do not recall if the left rear window works. I guess the seat controls are busted? There's some missing poo poo on the front doors by the door handles, I'm guessing that's where they would be normally. The side mirrors kind of seem woefully small for the size of the car but I guess I'm used to driving something 4 foot shorter. Front map light is burnt out, driver side door doesn't really want to stay open. Central Locking works. I have like 4 keys for this thing, 2 for the ignition and two for the doors. Trunk is in nice shape, the rust all looks pretty much on the surface. Full size spare that looks to be in ok shape but I didn't look at the date code so who knows how old it is. One Dent/scratch in the left rear quarter panel that took some paint off, other than that the body seems pretty straight. Paint is obviously hosed, totally oxidized to death I think on the top and in varying shape everywhere else. Not really bothered by that, probably be the last thing I fix. Transmission shifting seems kind of harsh but I'm not sure how much of that is because of hinky vacuum related poo poo that I'm going to have to fix in the short/medium term or if the transmission needs a little TLC. Goes into all the gears just fine. There might be an exhaust leak somewhere, after I got home I had a huge headache, but that could be from 4 hours of squinting through my 13 year old backup glasses through the setting sun. Couldn't figure out how to get the windshield squirters to work, possibly out of fluid (didn't check because I am lazy and half assed this poo poo) or non-op. Wood trim is in pretty piss poor shape in some areas, fine in others. Back seat seems to be in great shape, passenger seat is in pretty nice shape, possibly stained, not sure if I have mb-tex or leather. Acceleration is interesting. From 0-15mph or so it's probably the slowest thing I've ever driven in my life, but once the boost kicks on it will actually move a bit. At highway speeds it's fine but I'm definitely going to have to change my driving habits a bit when pulling out into traffic from a stop.

Will post pictures tomorrow when it's light out since my phone battery was pretty shot and I forgot to take a car charger with me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
TE is gasoline, TD is diesel IIRC

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK, I have some fuel leaks up near the injectors and I ran out of gas this morning and it was a royal bitch to get the thing started again so I'm guessing I have some fuel delivery issues in general. I took a bunch of pictures too http://imgur.com/a/9hfcU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah, it don't look so bad. A little TLC, new tires, pull the hail dents out, and the outside will be fine. The inside just needs a few mends here and there as well.

Outside is probably the last thing I'll touch outside of a wash and the tires, if anything the beat up appearance will keep people out of my way :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Looks like most of my power seat functions work on the driver's side, I have tilt and forward and back, not sure what the 3rd switch does. Only forward and back works on the passenger side. Also can't find the sunroof controls, where are those supposed to be?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
nah it's the one next to the rear map light switch but I guess it doesn't work, oh well.

e: the 2nd one from the left on the top row

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I couldn't figure out how to get the head rests to raise and lower manually, so maybe that's it?

e: Ordered 2 cans of fuel system purge, some injector return hose, 5 glow plugs, a reamer and a vacuum line kit, that should send me on my way to getting this thing running more smoothly

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 8, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK like none of my climate control poo poo seems to work, but I figured out all my seat functions except for that drat headrest which I can't find a switch from but don't seem want to raise manually

The first 3 rod things are the switches for tilt, forward and back and another tilt function thingy, the place where that screw is there should be another rod sticking out which is broken off. I was able to prod the stub with a paperclip and that controls the lumbar tilt.

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 9, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The front ones!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
if I slap shift the transmission in my W126 because the VCV is acting up am I going to hurt anything?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Finally got around to running some diesel purge through the fuel system, replaced the fuel filter and prefilter and replaced all the injector return line hoses. Don't have an open ended wrench big enough to tighten down the injector hardline I think is leaking but I'll take care of that on Monday hopefully. Power delivery seems much smoother and consistent now. Still can't get the climate control system to work, that will be my next thing to troubleshoot, I have a bunch of vacuum lines to replace in the engine bay the next time it's warmish out and I'm hoping that will help fix things

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Nah, if they have the steptronic poo poo they're the ZF transmission

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
11f outside this morning, didn't plug the block heater in, hadn't driven the car in 36 hours and it started on the first try. I haven't even replaced the glow plugs yet. I'm impressed

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I traced the rest of my fuel leak down to the number 1 injector weeping a small amount of diesel but I have no idea what size wrench I need to turn the injectors, I have up to a 22mm and it won't fit, though clearance is really tight with all the hardlines and poo poo still in place.

e: 27mm and a half inch drive torque wrench ughhhhhhh

rscott fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 17, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I washed the 300SD and put some new tires on it:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

That thing cleaned up really well.

You'd think so and I didn't do anything to the image on purpose but you can't see hardly any of the rock chips on the hood and under the headlights, or how busted up the head light assys look on their own, or how bad the crazing and flaking in the paint is, or how tired a lot of the body trim is. Definitely a myspace angle. Body is reasonably straight though except for that one dent in the rear QP you can see and all the rust I've seen is surface rust where the paint has failed. I scored a new grill that isn't dented and has a star that isn't broken off and two very good condition used headlight assemblies for $150 shipped so that should help some.

e: Also I unscrewed the ALDA all the way and it seems to have improved throttle response from 0-75% or so, and that has improved the transmission feel as well. I think I might just remove it entirely and plug the vacuum line to the manifold.

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 2, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
oh my god who cares about soccer mom cars, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

New grille on the 300SD, now I just need to get around to installing the new headlight assemblies I bought and the front of the car might actually look ok

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I painted the plastic insert on my old grill black and holy poo poo the difference is astounding compared to the lovely grey. Even with the rusted, scratched and dented chrome trim strips on there it looks 10 times better. I bought some new ones along with a new grille emblem and when they arrive I think I'm going to swap it back to the sedan grille.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

The merc v12s are way better than bmws, no doubt. The m73 is actually a good, if lacklustre, engine. It's an improvement over the m70 anyway. Neither have a lot of tuning potential, but who really does much to a german v12 anyway?

I'd say the merc V8s of any vintage are my vote for most reliable engine in a mercedes. Maybe the v12 is more reliable overall, but it'd cost way more to keep it running.

Om617.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The w140 was the last over engineered MB but you're better off getting a 92 or a 93 IIRC

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
buy it, install equal length headers, have a w140 that sounds like a pangani zonda

do it, you know you want to

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you want an old merc to learn how to wrench on get a w124 or w126 diesel. The only computer in the thing will be in whatever radio you install.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Fixed the ccu in my w126 not turning on the blower motor, turns out it was a blown fuse all along even though I swear I checked that poo poo like 3 times. AC doesn't blow cold but the heat works and it switches from heat to "cold" when I move the dial from min to max so the blend door is working at least.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Sad, I could have used a lot of the trim pieces from the front interior

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those floor mats are loving amazing

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My 300SD gets about 30mpg and isn't life threatening to drive on the highway :smug:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Because you have a fetish for chasing down vacuum leaks and replacing fuel system lines as a wear item

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

What the goon opinion on the YouTube channel "mercedessource"? To me he seems to know his Mercedeses very well, but I don't know poo poo so.

His parts are kinda expensive but he knows his poo poo, I have a bunch of his stuff for my w126

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CharlesM posted:

How are Bentley repair manuals? I guess MB factory service manuals are insanely expensive.

They're generally the best for BMWs, I don't have one for the Mercedes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's a w123 not a 560SEL, $5k to make that a reliable daily is a bit of an exaggeration
E: like maybe if you use only m-b branded parts and take it to the dealership to have anything fixed but for 5 grand I could fix pretty much every that's wrong with my shitheap $1k 300SD

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 27, 2017