Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'd like recommendations on life improvement products/presents for a person with one arm. Things like the best knork (fork with sharp edges for cutting food) or some sort of model-maker stand with gripping devices that can be mounted on desks to help with manual work, or really anything that makes life easier. Bonus points if available on Amazon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People with one arm are legally allowed to carry switchblades. That's kind of cool.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I can't remember if it's been in this thread or in the Purchases thread, but I know there have been a lot of posts about warm but also moisture-wicking socks (/blankets/jackets/etc.). Wool seems to be the way to go. The problem is that I'm vegetarian and won't buy wool. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet for the majority of 12+ hr shifts, and my feet get disgustingly sweaty because I don't wear proper shoes, either. Then the sweat cools, gets trapped, so I have wet, cold, nasty, fungus-loving feet.
Is there any material that will help with this problem and is suitable for vegetarians?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

whatshesaid posted:

I can't remember if it's been in this thread or in the Purchases thread, but I know there have been a lot of posts about warm but also moisture-wicking socks (/blankets/jackets/etc.). Wool seems to be the way to go. The problem is that I'm vegetarian and won't buy wool. I'm a nurse so I'm on my feet for the majority of 12+ hr shifts, and my feet get disgustingly sweaty because I don't wear proper shoes, either. Then the sweat cools, gets trapped, so I have wet, cold, nasty, fungus-loving feet.
Is there any material that will help with this problem and is suitable for vegetarians?

There are soy fiber-based solutions, but their quality varies greatly and the premium price can be ridiculous. Polyester/cotton blends can do an okay job but nowhere near what merino can. Changing cotton socks after eight hours is more effective for someone with my feet than 12+ with wool.

I don't mean to challenge your morals, but sheep do enjoy being shorn-it's still not the greatest industry, but it's more mutually beneficial than the leather or meat industries.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What does not eating meat have to do with not wearing dead skincells? Arent vegans the ones that refuse anything that ever touched an animal?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

What does not eating meat have to do with not wearing dead skincells? Arent vegans the ones that refuse anything that ever touched an animal?

The sheep bred for shearing are slaughtered when they're no longer profitable.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Uhh, I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons, aka, I don't want to support animal harm, abuse, or exploit of any kind. This derail is retarded, and if you're that confused, maybe try reading more?

Kaizoku posted:

There are soy fiber-based solutions, but their quality varies greatly and the premium price can be ridiculous. Polyester/cotton blends can do an okay job but nowhere near what merino can. Changing cotton socks after eight hours is more effective for someone with my feet than 12+ with wool.

I don't mean to challenge your morals, but sheep do enjoy being shorn-it's still not the greatest industry, but it's more mutually beneficial than the leather or meat industries.

Yeah, all I've found are really expensive alternatives of unknown quality. Maybe I'll try just changing socks. And I need to buy new shoes too. I do use anti-fungal and moisture-absorbing foot powder, though. Don't know if it does any good, but it can't hurt.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
don't kill the foot fungus for ethical reasons

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for a men's jacket with a sherpa-lined body AND sleeves? Amazon searches are only turning up ones with sherpa bodies. Doesn't need to be incredibly warm, it rarely goes below 25 degrees F in the winter here.

Alternatively, any jackets with a super soft lining. Doesn't have to be sherpa.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Gyshall posted:

don't kill the foot fungus for ethical reasons

She's looking for alternatives to wool while still making her problems go away, I'm sure if she can't find anything else that works she won't let her feet rot away. I have no problem with wool and like to eat animals and everything, but it's not ridiculous for someone to follow their values and try to find an ethical alternative.

whatshesaid posted:

Uhh, I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons, aka, I don't want to support animal harm, abuse, or exploit of any kind. This derail is retarded, and if you're that confused, maybe try reading more?

Anyway, if you can't do wool at all and don't find anything synthetic that works for you, changing socks frequently will probably be a step in the right direction if it's at all possible in your job. If you wear 3 pairs a day I'm sure your feet will be dry the vast majority of the time.

Alternatively, if you can't find anything synthetic that works for you, try to find a local small scale herder that does wool stuff. I know that no too far from my place there is an alpaga farm that sells wool and they take super good care of their livestock and they live great lives, aren't tortured or stuck in small cages, etc. Something like that may exist near you and might be a more ethical alternative if you're not against all forms of animal use. Since you stated you are vegetarian and not vegan I assume you're ok with farms that take care of their animals.

You might be able to find that one that sells online too I guess. But visiting the place might make you more comfortable with the idea.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Nov 24, 2014

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

People with one arm are legally allowed to carry switchblades. That's kind of cool.

She's more of a "stab with words" kind of person.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

burnsep posted:

She's more of a "stab with words" kind of person.

The switchblade is for when words fail.

Edit: ...to get the POINT across.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The switchblade isn't for using, it's to be a badass who may only have one arm but is automatically way cooler than you because they have a switchblade and you aren't even allowed to have one two-arms. :c00lbert:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Who makes the best beverage coasters?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The switchblade isn't for using, it's to be a badass who may only have one arm but is automatically way cooler than you because they have a switchblade and you aren't even allowed to have one two-arms. :c00lbert:

My aunt actually only has one arm, does a lot of farm work and prefers standard pocket knives still. Switchblades are cool and all but they're a lot of flash but not great for actual utility.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

colas posted:

Who makes the best beverage coasters?

I was pretty happy with the stone ones my mom had when I lived there. http://goo.gl/tFT3Zm are the brand we had I believe.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the most economical way to ship a small package from the U.S. To Italy?

I'm thinking roughly the size of two loaves of bread and maybe 2 pounds. Does someplace have flat rate international boxes or a good deal on shipments this size?

Time is irrelevant.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the most economical way to ship a small package from the U.S. To Italy?

I'm thinking roughly the size of two loaves of bread and maybe 2 pounds. Does someplace have flat rate international boxes or a good deal on shipments this size?

Time is irrelevant.
USPS if time is irrelevant.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of which, I'm kinda tired of paying for expensive shipping at The UPS Store. What do people that ship a lot do? Just get their own materials and ship everything through USPS or UPS/FedEx accounts? If I bring my own box and ship through UPS-is that UPS's rate or does a UPS store mark up the shipping? Because their materials are overpriced, I'm not sure about the shipping.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

USPS has always been the most cost-effective for me by a pretty long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

This thread is an antique. Feel free to make a new one!

• Locked thread