Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

melon cat posted:

Not really related to the original question asked, but I've been hoping to ask this for awhile- any recommendations for a good pair of affordable, yet durable boxing gloves? I'm re-starting Muay Thai classes and need a new pair of boxing gloves. Heck, any recommendations for good online MMA supply stores at all?

I'm a grappler so I can't give you a recommendation, but you would find people to help you in this thread I'm sure : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701531&pagenumber=347#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Steakandchips posted:

Goon recommended desk: Ikea Galant.

Watched an "assembly" video on youtube. How big is that thing? It looks loving huge. I can see that working for a multi-monitor setup but it looks like it would be needlessly big for "regular" use

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I just bought some Sailor Jerry Spiced Rhum which I'm really enjoying a lot compared too captain morgan spiced which I really like up to now. Any good spiced rhum I could try out there? It's mainly to drink with a hint of coke so nothing with a crazy price. Anyway I'm not even sure there's any really expensive spiced rhum out there.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

1redflag posted:

Looking for a good two-three person tent. Relatively well priced. Recomendations?

How cheap are we talking?

I bought a Marmot Limelight 3 this summer and I really liked it. We've paid around 200-250 for it in Canada (on sale) don't know how it would be priced in the US but when comparing price keep in mind that it comes with a foot print and most other tents don't. It's very confortable for 2 with bags and everything in the tent and would be ok for 3 (unless it's 3 230 pounds 6'3 guys I guess) if you put some stuff in the vestibule. It's high enough that you can change/sit around in the morning without it being a pain in the rear end.

It's pretty light, ridiculously easy to set-up (color coded poles, snap-on instead of "push through some stupid sleeve thing"), you'll be inside of it in minutes. It has 2 doors so you don't have to go over your buddy to get out, also has 2 vestibule to put your stuff (vestibule door have windows which is a nice touch), comes with a foot print so no extra expense, the cover is really good agaisnt the rain and wind. There's also a lot of aeration and a nice sky view if you don't put the cover on. Oh and it's a good looking tent too (the orange version that we have is also pretty easy to spot which can be a good thing or you can buy the black version if you don't like it)

I only have good words about it, best tent I personally used ever and Marmot has good reputation when it comes to replacing stuff if you were ever to break it and the build quality is really great. I wouldn't be surprised if I still used that tent in 20 years.

edit : if you plan on being 3 people in it regularly, I'd suggest something bigger if you want to be confortable. In most cases, a "3 person tent" means 3 person can manage to get in and then lay down side by side and may be sleep.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Oct 13, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm looking for some fancy rear end men slippers? After reading the wirecutter, some part of me wants their fancy rear end haflinger slippers, but in canada it's over 100$ and that's kind of a stupid price to pay for slippers. Let's say I'm ok with 60-80$ if it's some awesome slippers that will last me for 5 years and won't make my feet all sweaty.

I'm slightly partial toward mocassins and natural fibers in general.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

uwaeve posted:

Enjoy.

May not go 5 years but generally durable. Old school non-moc non-soled version here.

I don't know what those turn out to be in Loonies or whatever, I just know they rule.

You own them? I like l.l. bean but some reviews were scary. Price is ok, but not if they die in 9 months of normal wear (few hours a day during the colder months)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
[quote="uwaeve" post="437207911"]
As of my post they are poking out from under the bed, ready to save my feet from the tile
[/quot
Awesome. I usually wear slippers until a seam break or they aren't warm at all anymore. Basically I just dont want them to break because they aren't well constructed. Normal wear is fine and I don't expect 60$ slippers to last 10 Times as long as 20$ ones. but I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't last a fee winters

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
wool, merino in partical would probably be the best since it's soft, fine and will keep you warm even if you sweat. I don't know much about dress socks, but I'd bet some of them are made out of merino wool. You'll probably end up paying 10 to 20$ a pair though

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Doghouse posted:

Can anyone recommend a really, really warm hat, one that won't let the cold wind through? And normal looking? Preferably something I could get on Amazon or online. Also gloves that are warm, thin, and can be used with smartphones? I need these for normal suburban/city life. I seriously have the worst hat and gloves and can't believe I've gone so long with them.

how cold does your area get? Define normal looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Gyshall posted:

don't kill the foot fungus for ethical reasons

She's looking for alternatives to wool while still making her problems go away, I'm sure if she can't find anything else that works she won't let her feet rot away. I have no problem with wool and like to eat animals and everything, but it's not ridiculous for someone to follow their values and try to find an ethical alternative.

whatshesaid posted:

Uhh, I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons, aka, I don't want to support animal harm, abuse, or exploit of any kind. This derail is retarded, and if you're that confused, maybe try reading more?

Anyway, if you can't do wool at all and don't find anything synthetic that works for you, changing socks frequently will probably be a step in the right direction if it's at all possible in your job. If you wear 3 pairs a day I'm sure your feet will be dry the vast majority of the time.

Alternatively, if you can't find anything synthetic that works for you, try to find a local small scale herder that does wool stuff. I know that no too far from my place there is an alpaga farm that sells wool and they take super good care of their livestock and they live great lives, aren't tortured or stuck in small cages, etc. Something like that may exist near you and might be a more ethical alternative if you're not against all forms of animal use. Since you stated you are vegetarian and not vegan I assume you're ok with farms that take care of their animals.

You might be able to find that one that sells online too I guess. But visiting the place might make you more comfortable with the idea.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Nov 24, 2014

• Locked thread