Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Catzilla posted:

Go here in google maps (lat/lon)...

I always find this really strange, it is a 1:500 scale model of an area of land built next to a Chinese military base.

It is indeed a terrain model, of some of the most worthless real estate to be contested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aksai_Chin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

withak posted:

They probably don't want to live in the middle of the desert either.

It is seriously an rear end-haul from anywhere. Essentially, in the 1960s, an urban planning professor decided that trends in growth suggested that the state was ripe for another big city. Naturally, he was the man to plan it and start development. His plan suffered only from having the only available land be three hours and a mountain range from either Los Angeles or Bakersfield, lacking in water, and devoid of any reason for people to live there or business to set up there aside from the fact that the land was cheap. Turns out that the land was cheap because it is worthless. Yet, it is also austerely beautiful and I am glad that it was not made into some sort of storage dump for either pedophiles or suburbanites.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

Robo Olga posted:

I live in California City...

Oh dear goodness, why? How? To what end did you go there, of all places? I'll give you that it's not Randsburg, but the mind recoils nonetheless. Especially with the fact that it sounds like the city council saw The Road Warrior as inspirational, rather than cautionary.

Homebrewism posted:

The people who did this would really suck at SimCity.

This is true. It is also true that they did kind of set the SimCity map generator on Nightmare for this one.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

orange lime posted:

I think that must be what it is, because it's quite new. If you zoom out until the scale at the bottom says 2 miles the whole track just disappears.

I really want to know what that cone-shaped thing is too. Obviously something goes shooting down it, but what? Is it a rocket test site? Shooting range? Experimental runway? I just can't figure it out. That circle in the middle is bugging me too.

[e] on this topographical map it's simply listed as "landing strip", and it's near a bunch of water management facilities, so I guess it's some kind of BLM thing. Given that the area is basically a swamp and creating a concrete pad out there would be really expensive, maybe the cone shape was a way to avoid having to build a runway that was the full width all the way down, if you assume that you can only approach to land from the south?

The one on the test-track site looks like a skid pad, where you can get your swerve on with progressively more room to recover at higher speeds.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

Anomalies posted:

Huh, for some reason most of the southern cluster of roads have street view on them, despite being the most empty. At least the northern cluster has a bunch of houses. Maybe the driver just decided to drive around a bunch of empty roads for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure he gets paid the same whatever the scenery is.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

The Scientist posted:

What kind of troops are subjected to the Resistance Training Lab?

Ones likely to find themselves behind enemy lines, like aircraft crew. Or, ones likely to be committing war crimes torture enhanced interrogations on our behalf.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

stealie72 posted:

To avoid complete derail, here's an abandoned amusement park outside of Cleveland. Note the GIGANTIC empty parking lot that starts in the NE corner:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...008883&t=k&z=17

So, any ideas on what this huge funnel-shape there is?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...5,0.001419&z=20

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Uh, are you serious? It's just white fine grain sand, much the same as the stuff on the beach less than a mile to the east. It's definitely manmade so its probably all lumped like that from the dredging process. Or I could be wrong and smyrna beach has a salt mining industry.

Yes, this is correct. It's the sand from excavating the canals that it's piled next to. Why someone wanted to make this zig-zag set of channels is somewhat mysterious to me. More mosquito habitat?

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
More like the freeway cuts through the dirt-road never-built suburb. Somewhere, a real-estate investor has realized that they were ripped off.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So, any thoughts on these pools down at Redstone Arsenal in Alabama? Almost like they're a memorial or something.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=34.664691,-86.652523&spn=0.004302,0.006539&oe=UTF-8&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

They look more like some sort of test fixture. For what, I don't know, but as one example, rocket engines are often tested over concrete deflectors that are cooled and protected from shock waves by flowing water.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

The aerial view shows more detail, but I'm still not sure what either one is.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=ps...523&form=LMLTCC

The more slanted perspective on these, especially at one zoom level up is very informative. It appears that they are just water storage reservoirs that are open to the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
So I recently saw these weird towers from the air near the CA/NV border just west of Las Vegas. The google maps view shows what appears to be an earlier stage of construction:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.54...&num=1&t=h&z=14

Ideas?

• Locked thread