Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ZebraBlade posted:

I guess when I thought airplane graveyard I was thinking old poo poo that was falling apart and strewn about, not nicely lined up and looking is pretty good condition.

Dalrain posted:

The actual silo cover you see with the hydraulic pistons is permanently welded half-open, which was part of showing the soviets that it really had been decommissioned and was unusable.

This is from back on page 1 or something, but just wanted to say that quote #2 is the reason for quote #1. All those B-52s at the boneyard that are lined up in a nice grid with their wings cut off and placed neatly beside them? It's so that the USA could prove to the Soviets that they'd actually dismantled as many strategic bombers as they were required to by the START/SALT/whatever treaties. Not that the Soviets ever sent inspectors over to Arizona or anything -- they just flew their satellites over and counted from the pictures. Standard procedure all around I understand.

I've been down there a couple of times and it's really quite sad. There are some loving nice planes just baking out in the sun with their paint bleaching. A shitload of F-15s and 16s, and I'd kill to own one of the A-6s or OV-10s. So sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Fermunky posted:

Edit: Here's another weird track looking place near California City, but also has something similar to the cone-shaped thing that Atricks found in Florida

Edit 2: OK the track thing may be Hyundai/Kia Proving Grounds, according to Cali City's wiki page.

I think that must be what it is, because it's quite new. If you zoom out until the scale at the bottom says 2 miles the whole track just disappears.

I really want to know what that cone-shaped thing is too. Obviously something goes shooting down it, but what? Is it a rocket test site? Shooting range? Experimental runway? I just can't figure it out. That circle in the middle is bugging me too.

[e] on this topographical map it's simply listed as "landing strip", and it's near a bunch of water management facilities, so I guess it's some kind of BLM thing. Given that the area is basically a swamp and creating a concrete pad out there would be really expensive, maybe the cone shape was a way to avoid having to build a runway that was the full width all the way down, if you assume that you can only approach to land from the south?

orange lime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 13, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

The Casualty posted:

Something neat I just noticed while looking for some landmarks I'd remember during my trip in Dubai. If you look at the city of Dubai, focus in and out between the 7th and 8th levels of zoom. You can see the difference a couple of years makes. New neighborhoods being built, the airport being constructed, and "The World" islands being worked on. Pretty cool poo poo.

You should download Google Earth -- it has a feature now where you can drag a slider and see the archived images from different years. In my hometown they seem to do a new set almost every year, and at different times, so you can look at it covered in snow and with the leaves turning red and in the high of summer...and there are scattered sets of pictures dating all the way back to black and white aerial surveys from the 50s. Pretty awesome.

• Locked thread