Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fermunky posted:

You sure thats the case here? If you "look" up, you see what looks to be the moon, and if you look to the Southwest you can see what looks like maybe someone's headlights tailing the camera vehicle.

Edit: Those are headlights coming towards the vehicle. You can tell by following the road SW a couple of clicks.

Yeah, going further you'll see this:

So there is a picture there, only at night. I've never seen a gently caress up like this before.

EDIT: Haha I found the transition point - LINK - press forward :) I think you can actually see how the driver stopped here to sleep as he basically took a turn to park.

EDIT 2: :stare: Ok I went in the other direction to see how long the night goes and when I found the second transition spot I think I actually found out who drove the google car :stare:

Yep, according to Google Maps right now you are in the arms of an old lady.

You'll have to see it to believe it - LINK

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shnakepup posted:

Hah, holy crap. That's hilarious.

How does one become a Google Streetview driver? Did this lady just respond to an ad or something, and spent a few days/weeks/whatever driving around in the google van?

I have no idea how Google HR works but I would imagine that this job is not too demanding and/or interesting really so I guess anybody can qualify? You basically drive through the country no matter how boring the landscape is and you probably have to do it slowly with a regular speed to let the camera snap good pictures. I guess they have to train you in simple camera servicing too but I'd guess it's not too hard...

While writing this post I actually found a very short interview (more of a few notes from a chat really) with a Google car driver that basically confirms my speculations:

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/fun-web/chatting-with-a-google-street-view-driver

"The drivers just showed up for "a driving job" (his words) and didn’t know it was for Google until they arrived to pick up the cars."

There are also a few good pictures of the equipment on the site:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cable Guy posted:

Google is on the case, they have already obscured her face.

Woah, how does that work? I suspect I was the first person to see it as this picture is in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere at the very end of a one-way road leading to absolutely nothing. Somebody reading this thread reported it? Or does Google hire people to search through sites containing words Google Maps :tinfoil:?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

torjus posted:

That is pretty cool :)

Direct link for the lazy: http://g.co/maps/53xhv

Haha, I like how the little legs are staircases :3:

Little guy looks pretty bossy:

You can't really tell anything from the ground.

This made me laugh though:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 21, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A friend of mine used to work on the design team of Chicago Spire - a quite well known project of a skyscraper which got cancelled mainly due to financial crysis hitting US. It's a known story but I decided to look for the site in Google Maps as I knew that shortly before cancelling the foundation has been completed. Holy crap it's an interesting view.

The design:

I'm curious what they are going to do with a site like that.

I guess filling the whole alone would cost millions, could another building use the structure somehow or will it be forever dead? Also a location like this must be extremely expensive and the owner would probably hold to it as long as possible.

That housing project next to a giant skyscraper/giant hole in the ground must be also fun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lord Solitare posted:

I can imagine something bad like a dumb kid falling down the hole unless they put something in place better than an orange plastic fence

Yeah, from this photo:

...it looks like it's 5 story deep.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Actually it's hard to tell. I don't know if they managed to go as deep as they needed and the usual structure in the ground often has a form of underground pilars and not actual space like here. While researching this I found that the city already held a little competition on what could be made with the hole: http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2010/05/alexander-lehnerer-and-team-win-1st.html

In every submission it looks like the hole is about 5 story deep.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

And the viewing angle of it just seems...off.

I'm going to blow your mind now - zoom in, click and hold the "north" letter on the navigation circle...then rotate that circle 90 degrees. You can see the area from another side. You can view every object from 4 different sides thanks to this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

:monocle: You just blew my mind grapes. How often can google maps do this?

Every time you see that low angle of perspective basically. I haven't looked for that specifically but a few major cities in Germany and Spain I needed to explore supported this. Sometimes only 2 angles are available though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Megadyptes posted:

Here's a big rear end queue on the Iraq-Syrian border, it goes for miles into Syria.
Ehh, doesn't look any different than trailer truck queues in Europe when the boarders were still checked. It was always from a couple of hours to a couple of days wait for those drivers (depending on the countries).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's great that even the outline of the boat is still visible and the whole thing is just low contrast because of mist but after a six months analysis by the experts at the Official Loch Ness Monster Fan Club...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

GutBomb posted:

That's got to be a mapping error right?
Nah, I think it's a real park.

• Locked thread