Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like Cagliostro is available now for non-Prime folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 coming to BR

I think I'll get the Limited Edition. CE is just too much. But yeah I need this as I no longer have my DVD's.

Also the movie is on BR as well but lol at the idea of wasting money on that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Here's a thing, courtesy of the Blu-ray thread in CD.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God dammit. Just when I collected them all.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Kingtheninja posted:

God dammit. Just when I collected them all.

If it makes you feel any better, the Japanese equivalent was missing a bunch of extras from the individual ones, and I'd assume this would be no different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's really nice, but I'm waiting for more of the deluxe individual Blu-Ray releases with the big fat artbooks for their respective movies. Madman Entertainment's released one or two each year for the past few years, and I've picked up two of 'em (My Neighbour Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle) :shepspends:.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The way I look at it the ones I haven't gotten around to buying yet I did so for a reason (I don't care about Ponyo, Howl's, etc.) and as far as I can tell this is the same transfer & translation as the original releases anyway. Plus you can avoid having a big gimmicky set taking up space (what was I thinking with that Lawrence of Arabia monstrosity?) on your shelf.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
apparently some movies have subtitles which are literal translations of the Japanese, going by the existing BD that are out now. Thats lame if true.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

As opposed to subs for the English audio you mean? Yeah I know the mononoke DVD had that. I only knew the dub of that movie for so long, when I finally watched it subbed it was cool seeing the dialogue that didn't make it over. A little extra info.

Edit: basically I'm saying I like there being two different subs.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
I know this is technically not a Blu-ray question, but has anyone here bought the new Discotek DVD of Robot Carnival? If so, can they post screenshots and/or let me know if it's letterboxed or true anamorphic (given the issues presented by "Cloud"?) I'm trying to see if the video quality is better/worse/the same as the R2J. (Or if you know a better place to ask.)

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

I know this is technically not a Blu-ray question, but has anyone here bought the new Discotek DVD of Robot Carnival? If so, can they post screenshots and/or let me know if it's letterboxed or true anamorphic (given the issues presented by "Cloud"?) I'm trying to see if the video quality is better/worse/the same as the R2J. (Or if you know a better place to ask.)

Finally decided to buy the drat thing and answer my own question.

The result: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148736

Clearly from the same source, but the Japanese disc is letterboxed (scaled for comparison) and the US really is true anamorphic. (Yes, this requires some shenanigans where "Cloud" is concerned but who's watching on 4x3 screens anyway?) The latter is ever-so-slightly overcropped, but DISTINCTLY sharper. American disc wins for once! Congratulations Discotek.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Still no news about Evangelion 3.33 bluray?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Buffis posted:

Still no news about Evangelion 3.33 bluray?

Its coming out February.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its coming out February.

I've heard that one before.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Midjack posted:

I've heard that one before.

Its been officially announced by funimation to come out in February. It means Khara is finally satisfied with the dub/subtitle track I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I was pining over macross Frontier today. There's no version of the blu ray that has English subs is there?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Kingtheninja posted:

I was pining over macross Frontier today. There's no version of the blu ray that has English subs is there?

Not for the TV series. But one of the releases for the films did include English subtitles.

See:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-18/macross-frontier-film-box-adds-new-footage-english-subtitles

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So both movies have English subs? That's not so bad, I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its been officially announced by funimation to come out in February. It means Khara is finally satisfied with the dub/subtitle track I guess.

Well, I was wrong and it actually happened this time!

• Locked thread