Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They're just padding the releases out I believe. No point in dumping your entire back catalogue all at once. I do have good news though, release dates for the next 2 films! Just in time for Christmas!

Laputa Castle in the Sky - 22/12/10
My Neighbours The Yamadas - 22/12/10

Considering picking up the Japanese releases, mainly because the cases for them would just look brilliant on a shelf. :swoon:

Compared to the North American release:

:barf:

God the marketing department just had a loving field day with it.

I've got the complete collection of Madman's Studio Ghibli collection on DVD and they did an entire range of matching white DVD covers that look great sitting on your shelf. I'd take a picture, but I've loaned a lot of them to my niece who can't get enough of them :)

EDIT: And here's the Australian Bluray cover for comparison purposes. It's not bad and it certainly doesn't put up anything unnecessary, but it's certainly no minimalistic Japanese release.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As an enormous fan of the Nausicaa manga, I have the most love for that "covered in dirt reluctant soldier" cover image. I do wish the cover wasn't all about Disney! Ghibli! Disney! Actors! but if that's what it takes to get some ignorant kids to take a second look at a beautiful movie, I'll be Marketing's bitch.

Laputa news made my day, Yamadas is great too. I told myself double-dipping was out of the question, but Ghibli/Disney are doing these upgrades such justice that I can't say no. In the case of the R.O.D. series and Champloo, I've never owned either so it's just a good time to be a late adopter.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

This is an old link, but is there any more news/confirmation that Wolf and Spice II will get a Blu Ray release?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Do the Japanese Ghibli BDs have English subtitles?

Mike Toole
Apr 9, 2001

WE ARE GOING BACK!!
Oh god, Nausicaa is going to be a dual pack? I hope the trend continues so I can give away all my DVDs to friends and family (except the R2 ones with the old dubs). Only thing missing is a digital copy - I love those, I can usually eBay them for $5-8 to recoup some of my purchase price.

I've got Royal Space Force, Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet, Final Fastfood VII: Advent Chicken, Ponyo, Tokyo Metro Explorers SOS, Eden of the East, and Ghost Hound. I don't L-O-V-E the format, but it's very nice and I will buy discs at the right price.

Speaking of which, I just got Evangelion 1.11 for $10 via Amazon. Sadly, looks like it went back up to $16.

Meanwhile, Gundam Unicorn vol. 1, which came out the same week, costs $40. gently caress you, Japan!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Keyboard Kid posted:

Do the Japanese Ghibli BDs have English subtitles?

Yes, but they also cost several times more than the US releases, so how badly do you want nice box art?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ferretts posted:

This is an old link, but is there any more news/confirmation that Wolf and Spice II will get a Blu Ray release?

No, there usually isn't until an actual solicitation comes out. Or they specifically mention they got the Blu-Ray rights.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yes, but they also cost several times more than the US releases, so how badly do you want nice box art?

Badly. If there's one thing I hate about bluray is the loving bland blue cases they come in.

Ok so for the most part we've established that most anime movies are going to come out looking amazing, but I've yet to see a good remaster of an OLD TV series. So I started hunting around and what did I find? A bluray remaster of Serial Experiments Lain

Ready to have your mind blown? (Check out 6 & 12 in particular)

01.) DVD | Bluray
02.) DVD | Bluray
03.) DVD | Bluray
04.) DVD | Bluray
05.) DVD | Bluray
06.) DVD | Bluray
07.) DVD | Bluray
08.) DVD | Bluray
09.) DVD | Bluray
10.) DVD | Bluray
11.) DVD | Bluray
12.) DVD | Bluray
13.) DVD | Bluray
14.) DVD | Bluray

THIS is exactly why you should be pissed off when a series doesn't get a good remaster. Jesus just look at how amazing it is. Are you seeing the same poo poo I'm seeing? Cause goddrat if it doesn't make me want to throw out my DVD collection and pick up a new set.

Unfortunately the Japanese release is the only version available and even if you're prepared to shell out $300 for it, it doesn't come with English subs.
Though it does include the dub for whatever reason. Still if it ever gets released for a reasonable price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I never even got around to watching Lain so that would certainly be a good place to start!

Xythar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 5, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Badly. If there's one thing I hate about bluray is the loving bland blue cases they come in.

Ok so for the most part we've established that most anime movies are going to come out looking amazing, but I've yet to see a good remaster of an OLD TV series. So I started hunting around and what did I find? A bluray remaster of Serial Experiments Lain

01.) DVD | Bluray
02.) DVD | Bluray
03.) DVD | Bluray
04.) DVD | Bluray
05.) DVD | Bluray
06.) DVD | Bluray
07.) DVD | Bluray
08.) DVD | Bluray
09.) DVD | Bluray
10.) DVD | Bluray
11.) DVD | Bluray
12.) DVD | Bluray
13.) DVD | Bluray
14.) DVD | Bluray

THIS is exactly why you should be pissed off when a series doesn't get a good remaster. Jesus just look at how amazing it is. Are you seeing the same poo poo I'm seeing? Cause goddrat if it doesn't make me want to throw out my DVD collection and pick up a new set.

Unfortunately the Japanese release is the only version available and even if you're prepared to shell out $300 for it, it doesn't come with English subs.
Though it does include the dub for whatever reason. Still if it ever gets released for a reasonable price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
I....don't like it, the new lighting especially.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

Honest Thief posted:

I....don't like it, the new lighting especially.

You need to get your head checked. Night and day differences in quality. If anything the new lighting gives a better contrast like the chair in #10 or the PC's in #12.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Really? You don't look at the DVD Vs Bluray and realise what an oversaturated mess the DVD was? The clarity alone makes me want to run out and buy it.

To each his own I suppose, but I think your honestly missing out if you think it looks bad. Try to think of it like a Director's Cut. "The way it was meant to be seen"

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just chiming in to say my only anime blurays are Eva 1.11 and Eden of the East.

Eva 2.22 is up for preorder at Amazon, with a release date of March 29.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bobomb posted:

You need to get your head checked. Night and day differences in quality. If anything the new lighting gives a better contrast like the chair in #10 or the PC's in #12.
There is a stark diference in quality, it's clearly a sharper image, no doubt on my mind, but I really don't like the new lighting in some scenes, like #10.
Don't know why, but it's not working for me.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Really? You don't look at the DVD Vs Bluray and realise what an oversaturated mess the DVD was?
To me it's a vast improvement and might finally get me to watch through the whole series (I've owned it on DVD for... 5 years now? go figure). But I think I see where (s)he might be coming from. Consider what a BR remastering of Boogiepop Phantom might do to the shows atmosphere. I'm not sure if clarity and sharper images would do it any service.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Ineffiable posted:

Just chiming in to say my only anime blurays are Eva 1.11 and Eden of the East.

Eva 2.22 is up for preorder at Amazon, with a release date of March 29.

We have different studios for each Eva movie, right? So there's no reason to wait for a boxset?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ferretts posted:

To me it's a vast improvement and might finally get me to watch through the whole series (I've owned it on DVD for... 5 years now? go figure). But I think I see where (s)he might be coming from. Consider what a BR remastering of Boogiepop Phantom might do to the shows atmosphere. I'm not sure if clarity and sharper images would do it any service.

I think it's more a case of 'this is how it should have looked in the first place'. It's not a George Lucas Special Edition where meaningless crap is added in to pad scenes, but instead a proper do-over with each scene looking like it really should.

Take this scene for example: DVD Bluray

In the DVD release we have bold thick telegraph lines in the foreground and the purple void on the zone has a really obvious 'mist' among the blotches.
In the Bluray version those same lines are now blurred out and give a really nice sense of depth that wasn't there before and the purple void is still there, but the mist is subtle and the blotches are clear as day. (Speaking of, see how the lampposts now have glass globes? Holy poo poo!)

Some TV exec somewhere has probably gone "This isn't colourful enough!" and jacked the hue and saturation up to the levels we all refer to as the 'proper broadcast' release of Lain. It really killed a lot of the subtle colour you can see in some of the shots; look down the street and you can easily differentiate different greens in some of the gardens on the bluray shot.
All I'm saying is that the bluray release is probably as close to how the original scenes were meant to look before TV broadcast and I honestly think you're a crazy person if you prefer the DVD. It really is like a Director's Cut.

While I'm in a bluray mood because those Lain shots have got me feeling really really good about remastering a 90's show. If we exclude Evangelion from a selection, because we're already getting the gorgeous Rebuild releases, I would absolutely love to see the other 'Big 3' of the 90s get bluray releases if they can live up to the quality of Lain's remaster.

For those of you playing at home:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
The Vision of Escaflowne

Can you imagine if they were as gorgeous as the Lain releases? :allears:
Hell The Vision of Escaflowne: The Movie already has a bluray release. While it probably doesn't hold up to the cream of the crop in terms of picture quality, it certainly ain't no slouch.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If any anime stands to benefit from a Star Wars-level rerelease, it's Trigun. I say that as a nostalgic fan and a realist: it was the first anime I watched that was with a couple of friends 'in the know' about anime and not on Toonami. I started that series on VHS and ended it on DVD. When I watched the series again completely on DVD several years later, the story and dub held up great but holy crap it's like sections of each episode weren't even colored in. I understand it's a show in the desert, but there are building interiors where the background is a tan blob with a scribble to represent "stuff" sitting around. Trigun's producers really knew how to thrive on cut corners, and if a dedicated team could go back and play with lighting and colors and fill in some backgrounds, that show could have visuals to match its story.

Speaking of which, is there any news on Trigun: Badlands Rumble? Funimation's got the rights to the movie and it screened at Anime Expo 2010, but those aren't juicy blu-ray creencaps.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 5, 2010

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Bebop has too much CG to be viable for this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wasn't Bebop also made during the transition from cels era, so that it doesn't actually have a high resolution/ definition source?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Bebop and Escaflowne's cel animation & CGI were composited together and then transferred to video for broadcast. So while the cel animation could probably be restored ala Evangelion, the original CG elements would have to be re-rendered and composited. Assuming they still exist, which is unlikely.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any news on a mononoke blu ray release? It's one of my favorite movies of any type. I had a ps3 but sold it for a 360. It was a gaming choice, gave me a way to talk with friends online and such. Anyway, knowing that ps3 is the best choice for a player, how big of a price gap is there between one and other players?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I wouldn't mind a mononoke and bebop bluray release.

Also, I definitely want a Haibane Renmei bluray release. I think they have it in Japan already but it's a super special limited edition or something that costs a ridiculous amount of money.

edit:
yep 264 bucks:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CCUQ8wIwAg

Oh and a Kara no Kyoukai Bluray with a reworked movie 5 so the drawing isn't poo poo.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 5, 2010

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Bebop has too much CG to be viable for this.

Yes and no.

If the studios retained seperate sources for both the CG and the Cell animation then a remaster is feasible and easy to do, but if they composited the 2 together it becomes a great deal more difficult and the best you could manage would be an upscale on any scene that featured CG; which unfortunately is pretty much all of Bebop. To give you an example of what you can do if you have both of the original sources you need only look at Disney's Beauty and the Beast remaster and the Ballroom scene, which is entirely CG save for the characters, because it looked absolutely fantastic. I have no idea how Anime studios archive their works, but just pray they had enough foresight to retain both because a bluray version of Bebop would make me fall in love with it all over again.
The Lain remaster is probably going to keep me fairly optimistic for a lot of 90s era cell-based series because it was a much smaller production in the grand scheme of things. Thank christ there's at least one studio out there who stored their cell work correctly.

The 90s get gorgeous cell remasters.
The 00s get lovely digital upscales. :suicide:

Kingtheninja posted:

Any news on a mononoke blu ray release?

No news thus far. Again they're probably just padding their releases out so I'd expect it within a year. My money is on My Neighbour Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service paired with a 'lesser work' for their next release.
Oh god Grave of the Fireflies on bluray is just going to be loving brutal..

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
So do they just upscale stuff for hdtv? Bebop sure is pretty on cartoon network.

edit: and the movie on Encore hd...

burtonos fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 6, 2010

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infinitum posted:

01.) DVD | Bluray
02.) DVD | Bluray
03.) DVD | Bluray
04.) DVD | Bluray
05.) DVD | Bluray
06.) DVD | Bluray
07.) DVD | Bluray
08.) DVD | Bluray
09.) DVD | Bluray
10.) DVD | Bluray
11.) DVD | Bluray
12.) DVD | Bluray
13.) DVD | Bluray
14.) DVD | Bluray

Lain aired in 1998 and came out on DVD in the US in 1999. Pretty much every single anime DVD from that time looks about the same; full of analog artifacts, hilarious over- or undersaturation, broken blacklevels etc etc. They probably transferred it in analog form.

The bluray version looks partially reanimated and partially warpsharped from the old source, but it's better than most.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Was Gurren Lagann produced in HD? I really wanna pick up the movies, but once you go Blu...

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Hatter106 posted:

Was Gurren Lagann produced in HD? I really wanna pick up the movies, but once you go Blu...

Nope. It's possible the movie exclusive footage was, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think Gurren Lagann was produced right on the cusp of studios realising they needed to start producing 720+ works. A bluray version is still possible and I'm sure Gainax kept the original source as it was right on the cusp of a lot of studios going "We need to start producing at 720 minimum!"
As exciting as a 1080 version of GL would be, I wouldn't hold me breath.

You know what else would look awesome on bluray? Rurouni Kenshin

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
For anyone who's interested, Amazon has the first and second season of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on sale for $20 each, which is about a third less than the cheapest third party sellers or Rightstuf. I think they've had the first season at this price for a week or two, but I don't remember the second season being cut too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LD7WO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I've never seen it, but I liked the first show so I went ahead and blind-bought em. Impressions in a couple days maybe.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Note that FMA:B was only animated at 540p in the first place, so don't expect your mind blown by the video quality.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Hmpf. I'm not going to cancel my order, but it's pretty hosed up they can get away with listing it as "1080p high definition (HD native)" on the product page when it's a big time upscale. I guess from now on I'll have to double check third parties on the internet to know what I'm buying.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's higher resolution than you can do on NTSC DVD at least, and not MPEG-2, so it's definitely worth the BD over DVD. Also, the source they got is probably 1080p, so they may not have actually upscaled it themselves (this is probably a good thing).

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Kara no Kyoukai is supposedly finally coming out on BD in early 2011, and should look stunning. It, the Japanese release, will even have English subtitles. The downside is that it will cost something like $600 for 7 movies, if not more.

Good news! You don't have to pay $600. Bad news! It'll be $400.

ANN - Aniplex USA Adds Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners posted:

Aniplex of America announced on Monday that it will release ufotable's entire Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners film series in an English-subtitled Blu-ray Disc box in North America on February 8, 2011. The eight-disc box will include the seven theatrical chapters of the franchise plus the bonus Final Chapter that will be available for the first time in February. The online retailer Right Stuf will be the exclusive distributor.

The Japanese Blu-ray Disc box of the film series will ship less than a week earlier on February 2. Right Stuf will offer the North American version for US$398.98. (The Japanese release will sell for 52,500 yen or about US$620, although that is the suggested retail price before discounts.)

hahahaha.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uuuuuuugh. It is slightly more tempting, but still god drat. At the very least I'll wait and see what the verdict is on the quality of the subtitles for all of the movies. I know movie 5's "official" subtitles shown at Anime Boston were apparently solid, but who knows if that is the case for the whole set.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
Is the forthcoming Haruhi Suzumiya release going to be on BD, or just DVD?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Guyver posted:

Good news! You don't have to pay $600. Bad news! It'll be $400.

hahahaha.

God drat 400 bucks? That's 50 bucks a movie and it's unknown if they're going to improve some of the sucky drawing and provide quality translation and not have atrocious box art.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Don't worry, you can always vote with your dollars and not buy it, teaching the company that you didn't want the movies on BD in the first place.

Wait...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Don't worry, you can always vote with your dollars and not buy it, teaching the company that you didn't want the movies on BD in the first place.

Wait...

Exactly, the only thing a restrictive price point like this is going to do is promote piracy. The average joe can't afford a $400 box, but a supernerd can and I can guarantee that it'll get ripped and uploaded.

Knock it down to around $150 - $200 and it's closer to a price point where someone can take a dive and buy something they really like.

Like loving honestly, this is going right back to the days where Rightstuf was charging some horseshit price of $1200 for the Tenchi Muyo movies on DVD.
EDIT: Found it, my memory was right. It was a Japanese import, but it was the only version of the Tenchi movies available as there was no NA release at the time.

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's higher resolution than you can do on NTSC DVD at least, and not MPEG-2, so it's definitely worth the BD over DVD. Also, the source they got is probably 1080p, so they may not have actually upscaled it themselves (this is probably a good thing).

Huh I never knew it was produced at 540p. I've watched the first box and it looks really really good. I guess it goes to show what you can do with a proper digital upscale when you have the original source material because I would have sworn it was produced at 1080.

There's hope for late 00's series yet :unsmith:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Serial Experiements Lain Bluray box for $220~ US! 30% off regular price :siren:

May interest some people, but I'm still not interested because it doesn't include a English sub track.

Excuse me for a minute while I nerd out.. :gizz::circlefap:

Patlabor is easily one of my Top 5 series of all time.
Fuccccccccccccck look at this poo poo. How spectacular does it look cleaned up, orignal animation quality aside, and this is coming from a late 80's - early 90s series!

No sub track unlike the movies :flaccid:
(Screenshots are from a ripped BD with subs added)

God I hope it gets picked up for a release outside of Japan as I will gladly fork over money to upgrade my collection to this quality.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 14, 2010

• Locked thread