Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Infinitum posted:

Short version is as it sounds on the side of the box. You take a lower resolution image and upscaling it to fit a bigger one. It generally won't look bad per se, but it completely misses the whole point of the format.
Normally upscaling stuff doesn't actively make it look worse than it already did, but naturally the anime industry can never miss a chance to do as terrible a job as possible. The latest example is the (massively overpriced) Haruhi BD box set, which was almost artistic in its destruction of the video: DVD BD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tsob posted:

I feel blind even with my glasses on because I'm honestly not seeing any difference between the DVD and Blu Ray version. What am I missing that's so awful?
Those crazy swirls in the sky was grain before it was Q-Teced. It's also horribly oversmoothed; the trees have less detail in the BD than the DVD.

darkgray posted:

The screencaps comparisons I've seen of Haruhi on BD made it seem an improvement, but maybe it was a lucky shot.
The OP was reanimated from scratch and looks fantastic.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It's generally safe to assume that anything PAL is pretty bad.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

All the links to the ones posted on 2ch are dead now, but http://www.npc-releases.net/2010/08/not-doing-the-flcl-bd/ has a few. It's just all the usual Q-Tec poo poo of smudging and aliased lines.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That's pretty much the ideal shot for heavy sharpening and linedarkening, but there's still a few ugly spots -- the lines for handle of the iron are pretty bad, and the edges of the clouds were destroyed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I don't know about the US release, but the Japanese K-On BDs were much better than the DVDs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's times like this that I wish the BD spec did not forbid SD content.
It doesn't. 1280x720 and 720x480 are explicitly listed as a valid resolutions in the BD spec. Everything is upscaled to 1080p for marketing reasons, not technical.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Bluray supports soft telecine so it'd only be deinterlaced if the player is retarded, and I'm not sure why the video being upscaled to the display device's native resolution on playback is supposed to be a problem.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Bakatest's broadcast was super bitrate starved but all the text/pattern overlays looked like they could have been from a 1080p source so the BDs should look p good.

DamnGlitch posted:

I want to bring this back up, because I too would like to know if there's any good BR software out yet. I bought a BR player for my computer only to find none of the popular players work for it, and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Soul Eater is real HD.

The broadcast resolution is completely meaningless; there's very few Japanese stations left that broadcast anything other than 1080i regardless of the source resolution (and they broadcast 480i regardless of the source resolution).

• Locked thread