Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Infinitum, you're doing the lord's work, and our heathen wallets will cry out in thanks by the end of page 3. I have the blu-ray, Criterion, and hardcover comics threads bookmarked for the materialist in me, and wondered when this subforum would open a platinum club.

I'm glad to see the R.O.D. box set gaining more exposure -- I've only seen the first two episodes of the series, but the OVA remains one of my favorite anime and holds up to repeated viewings. The bluray vs. dvd comparisons out there don't justify the box's high price. A couple price drops and it'll find a happy home, though :dance:

I made a point of watching Akira as my first blu-ray, and I've been sold on the format ever since, star alignments and all. Paprika and Evangelion 1.11 are also stunners. I can't speak much for complete series, but thanks to the 12 Days of Anime sale on RightStuf the Samurai Champloo blu box is incoming ($33, beats Amazon depending on shipping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As an enormous fan of the Nausicaa manga, I have the most love for that "covered in dirt reluctant soldier" cover image. I do wish the cover wasn't all about Disney! Ghibli! Disney! Actors! but if that's what it takes to get some ignorant kids to take a second look at a beautiful movie, I'll be Marketing's bitch.

Laputa news made my day, Yamadas is great too. I told myself double-dipping was out of the question, but Ghibli/Disney are doing these upgrades such justice that I can't say no. In the case of the R.O.D. series and Champloo, I've never owned either so it's just a good time to be a late adopter.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If any anime stands to benefit from a Star Wars-level rerelease, it's Trigun. I say that as a nostalgic fan and a realist: it was the first anime I watched that was with a couple of friends 'in the know' about anime and not on Toonami. I started that series on VHS and ended it on DVD. When I watched the series again completely on DVD several years later, the story and dub held up great but holy crap it's like sections of each episode weren't even colored in. I understand it's a show in the desert, but there are building interiors where the background is a tan blob with a scribble to represent "stuff" sitting around. Trigun's producers really knew how to thrive on cut corners, and if a dedicated team could go back and play with lighting and colors and fill in some backgrounds, that show could have visuals to match its story.

Speaking of which, is there any news on Trigun: Badlands Rumble? Funimation's got the rights to the movie and it screened at Anime Expo 2010, but those aren't juicy blu-ray creencaps.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 5, 2010

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Currently 3 episodes into the FLCL blu and I'm loving it. However, compared to when I watched it on Cartoon Network on an oldschool TV, anything would look sharp. At the very least, it doesn't "look like rear end" or whatever sinful appearance upscale is supposed to assume.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RightStuf either made an error or does favors for pre-orders, because the blu and keychain arrived yesterday.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think FLCL on blu-ray looks and sounds great, and especially recommend it if you haven't seen nor owned the series before. Yes, it is an upscale; no, the series has not been ruined.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The FLCL blu-ray has those exact same extras, listed on the box in the exact same order.

I demand that the world's superpowers force Japan to distribute Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve) to international shores, seeing as Japan has been enjoying it on DVD and blu-ray for some time now. The world suffers without intelligent, episodic stories about the future of artificial intelligence! FYI, the linked site leads to the Time of Eve page on CrunchyRoll where you can stream it all for free and wish for a blu-ray edition.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 23, 2011

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Received Nausicaa blu today, compared it to the original Disney DVD release and holy shucking fit, you guys. The color corrections and cleaner lines... can all of 80s anime please go through this process?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amazon (Prime) acts in mysterious ways: my Nausicaa copy was a day early. Cool lesson learned.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flowers of Evil blu for $40 on Barnes & Noble plus 20% members coupon = about $30 with free shipping.

Worth it just for the buildup to the glorious seventh episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The two movie-length retrospectives with the English voice cast are delightful, as well.

• Locked thread