Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I have Paprika, Eva 1.11, Gunslinger Girls s1 & s2, DBZ Kai part 1, and will soon have the first Nanoha movie, all on Blu-Ray.

Besides the obvious draw of better quality audio and video, my other main reason for buying the Blu-Ray version whenever possible is to save on storage space. In general for series, the larger capacity should mean more episodes/disc.

I just hope more releases come out on Blu-Ray, and wouldn't mind DVD getting phased out entirely. I know it will take time, but I'll wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Infinitum posted:

Try telling that to Japan.
Oh, I definitely realize that. I was referring mostly to the US market, but really any place besides Japan should be taking advantage of the value potential for series that aren't native hi-def.

I can't view the pictures at work, but hearing that Haruhi's AV quality was very poorly done on BR makes me sad.

Ferretts posted:

What do you think of Gunslinger Girl S1 transfer and how heavily would you recommend buying it if you already have the DVD set? I'd already have those other two, but I'm holding out for a complete Rebuild special edition BR box set and a complete works of Satoshi Kon BR box set.
The last time I watched a DVD copy of GSG s1, it was on a 42" EDTV plasma. I've since upgraded to a 1080P projector, which is the only thing I've seen the BR copy on. So I don't feel comfortable making a comparison until I can compare both on the same equipment. I'll try to do so sometime this weekend, and let you know. And I'd prefer to hold out for the boxes as well, but who knows when they'll be offered...

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Kingtheninja posted:

EDIT: Oh man, Escaflowne is on here too. Is the movie a condensed version of the show or a continuation of it?
It's a very condensed version. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed the series, I really hated the movie. Among my biggest pet peeves are abrupt scene transitions, and this movie is jam-packed with those. I think the plot and characters also suffer a good deal from the condensed time. Maybe others liked it more than I did, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Nice to hear the good version of Escaflowne (i.e. the tv series) will finally get a BR release. Though unless it's an unexpectedly reasonable price, I'll wait for somebody in the US to hopefully release it.

• Locked thread