Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Nate RFB posted:

While I do have a fair number of BDs, the only two anime ones I have are Paprika and Evangelion 1.11. But both do look fantastic though.

Yeah, Paprika is the only anime BD I own. They're not too common here still, Paprika looks and sounds fantastic though and I'm glad I picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I never even got around to watching Lain so that would certainly be a good place to start!

Xythar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 5, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I don't know about the European market, but Australian DVD releases are all around pretty drat good. I've yet to see Madman ever put out a bad release, but I've known smaller distributors like Siren to release some really horrid crap. Their Soultaker and Vandread releases in particular were just godawful and were one of the few times I've ever had to return a DVD.
Never understood why Madman never picked up Vandread. I really liked it.

I'll try and dig up some FLCL shots, but yeah.. apprently it's pretty average. How the gently caress that can happen with an OVA and a Gainax release I have no idea.

The Australian Haruhi release was pretty terrible. I was trying to rip and encode mine only to find out that they did the framerate conversion by taking the US source (which had been telecined up from 24fps to 29.97fps) and telecining it back down to 25fps instead of just using the drat film source or whatever. They seriously mangled it, not that it's all that apparent when watching it on a standard DVD player or whatever but that kind of butchery still annoys me (and good luck trying to make any kind of progressive encode from them)

Xythar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2010

• Locked thread