Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While I do have a fair number of BDs, the only two anime ones I have are Paprika and Evangelion 1.11. But both do look fantastic though.

I've always wanted to ask, but is there a reason the only Blu-rays produced for Gunbuster/Diebuster was of the compilation movie? I mean, if they could do that, why not for the full set of 12 episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tsob posted:

The Haruhi DVD image looks pretty swirly to me too and I was only comparing those two images and not the Haruhi Blu Ray to any other Blu Ray since that was what was provided for comparison. Of course the Nausicaa one looks much sharper, but it looks like the Haruhi image that the poster provider was always meant to be somewhat odd and artistic looking and the upscale just made that more obvious.
Scale the BD down to the DVD's resolution (also stretching the DVD out to be 853x480 like it should be). The BD frame looks like it's been through some sort of carwash; in particular the Japanese characters on the far left side are almost indecipherable in the BD frame.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ferretts posted:

What do you think of Gunslinger Girl S1 transfer and how heavily would you recommend buying it if you already have the DVD set? I'd already have those other two, but I'm holding out for a complete Rebuild special edition BR box set and a complete works of Satoshi Kon BR box set.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gunslinger-Girl-Season-One-Blu-ray/6689/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gunslinger-Girl-Il-Teatrino-Blu-ray/8894/

They were pretty so-so on it, but concede that the source material really didn't lend itself to a good BD transfer in the first place so there was really nothing that could have been done.

A Rebuild "box set" is probably not going to be available until like 2020 at the rate the movies are coming out, and as for Kon only Perfect Blue and Paprika are out on BD anyway.

The thing is, more so than I can remember for DVDs this far into that format's lifecycle, Blu-rays are very easy to get dirt cheap. Rarely do I see BDs over $20 unless it's a special/limited release, and you can get tons of great deals on like Amazon for releases under $10. I made out like a bandit this past Black Friday. So, honestly, I don't feel there's any need to wait around if there's a release you really want.

Kara no Kyoukai is supposedly finally coming out on BD in early 2011, and should look stunning. It, the Japanese release, will even have English subtitles. The downside is that it will cost something like $600 for 7 movies, if not more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Uuuuuuugh. It is slightly more tempting, but still god drat. At the very least I'll wait and see what the verdict is on the quality of the subtitles for all of the movies. I know movie 5's "official" subtitles shown at Anime Boston were apparently solid, but who knows if that is the case for the whole set.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's weirder to me is when American releases go out of their way to change the box art, though I think this is a larger problem with video games. loving ICO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I saw in the Disappearance of Haruhi novel an ad for the R1 DVD release of the movie for it...does anyone know if this includes the Blu-ray? That movie was gorgeous and it would be a god drat shame if we didn't get the BD release over here.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's outstanding. Now if we could only get TGWLTT on BD as well....

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's an upscale? Wouldn't the movies be produced in 1080p in the first place?

I guess I would want to see more comparison shots across the whole movie set before I get up in arms about it, although it was hardly worth the price as it was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't recall there being anything wrong with the Japanese releases of TGWLTT or Summer Wars.

I mean, the KnK BDs arguably look a little bit better than the DVDs, but it's just doubly disappointing when people were expecting demo material. And then triply disappointing when the price is factored in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
He seemed to love the PQ though :confused:

quote:

Summer Wars has very little haze or blurriness produced as intentional effects to create the perception of motion. It is beautifully bright and smooth throughout. I suspect that in transferring digital animation to Blu-ray they have obtained the highest accuracy of the original appearance - and the animator's intent. Summer Wars is rife with vibrant eye-candy and looks quite marvelous. The animation style alternates between the, more passive, 'normal family existence and the, visually chaotic, Online 'virtual' one. Contrast is exceptional consistent and, frankly, there isn't a pixel out of place in this transfer. I was highly impressed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Blu-ray.com also loved the SW release. I pretty much feel anything with at least 4/5 on that site is probably just fine as far as PQ goes.

Looking like a must-buy to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I usually hate slip-covers, but the Summer Wars one is actually kind of neat as it has the OZ characters where as the Blu-ray case itself has the real-world cast. They even put the other theatrical poster as the reverse cover so you could see it when you take out the disc. All in all a very solid job by FUNimation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Escaflowne movie is very pretty but it is otherwise awful in almost every single way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first Rurouni Kenshin OVA (because seriously loving "Samurai X" is one of the worst title changes ever) was a Darker And Edgier prequel to the story in the TV series detailing Kenshin's life while he was still an assassin. It occurred in the manga during a flashback arc a bit after the Kyoto arc, which consequently was the last arc in the Kenshin TV series that followed the manga as the two arcs that followed Kyoto were anime-only filler arcs. Filler arcs designed to keep the ball rolling while the manga got further along, but back fired by being so massively terribly it got the series canceled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, the first Kenshin OVA is brilliant. You can watch it by itself even because as a stand-alone story it's beautiful.

Not so much for the second OVA, though, as that was a half-assed attempt to animate the final arc of the manga as well as provide an epilogue to the whole story. A lot of fans hate the second OVA and don't consider it canon (even the manga author remarked that he didn't agree with its ending).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was mentioned in the Haruhi thread, but apparently Disappearance was confirmed for a US BD release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How much cheaper is that than something like TotalMediaTheatre (what I use)? Even then don't you have to employ a variety of hacks to get something like Media Player Classic to work with Blu-rays? And even that's only after you've decrypted it which means you can't just pop in the Blu-ray and play it on the fly. I think, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't they still have to re-do certain digital effects? I thought that was the big sticking point for series like Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop. Even if the the animation cels are remastered and scanned at 1080p, the digital effects would have to be re-rendered to match the animation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

I don't remember a lot of CG in Escaflowne, the movie has a ton though. Regardless this should come out looking fairly loving magnificent.
I think some of the guymelef effects such as the invisibility cloaks and the liquid metal stuff in the cockpits were CG. I want to say the fire shots they fired sometimes were CG too, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Regardless, this is almost certainly guaranteed to look better than the awful R1 DVDs I have so... :toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's very, very 90's long-running shounen. When I was young, I used to think of it as "DBZ for the cool kids", since it had the usual sort of appeal in terms of fights and power-ups but was a lot darker. Even now I have a lot of nostalgia for it, although it has aged animation-wise about as well as you'd expect. The end to the Sensui arc is really dumb (though the arc itself was fun), and everything after that is pretty lackluster. But I still think everything prior to that was pretty enjoyable, and also I still think YYH holds the distinction amongst shounen as having the best arc-based Tournament ever conceived.

That said, when it comes to works by Togashi, I adamantly prefer it over Hunter x Hunter (mostly because it loving finishes and actually goes somewhere).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

I thought Flame of Recca did 90's Tournament anime a hell of a lot better than Yu Yu Hakusho ever did.
I hated the Flame of Recca anime for that very tournament :colbert: Literally, "what the gently caress, this sucks and is totally ripping off YYH."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Black Stones posted:

It does. I bought the Blu-Ray and gave my DVD away to another anime fan.
The DVD case is pretty snazzy, though. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it (I already have the Blu-ray).

And yeah, TGWLTT is probably my favorite anime film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just squealed a little bit to be honest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It apparently will come with a PS3 game on the same disk as the movie :raise:

Source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/03/21/macross-do-you-remember-love-30th-anniversary-hybrid-pack-detailed

July 26th release date, with the anniversary set at 13,800 Yen and the regular set at 7,140 Yen.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 22, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually just did the same thanks to that Amazon sale, and yeah it's probably the best looking Ghibli film I've ever seen.

I was a bit disappointed with the movie overall, though :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just felt it wasn't substantial enough. Not much happens in the movie. It could have easily used an additional 30 minutes or so for a few more acts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't mean that it wasn't exciting or anything. I dig a slow, calming story where nothing much besides mundane things occur. I meant, literally, that not much happens in the movie. We are briefly introduced to the main characters, we briefly see a conflict arise, and we briefly see its conclusion. It was hard to get invested in any one scene, with the possible exception of the initial borrowing, because every scene ends so quickly. The film is beautiful, but there is nothing to savor because anything that happens is, well, brief.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Eva in pretty terrible condition? Even after Renewal in the mid 2000's.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was going to say it would be unlikely that we see anything beyond Blu-ray for a while, but then I remembered that the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition discs were still "small" enough that they had to split the movies across discs again. So I don't think it's 100% "perfect" just yet, even if that is kind of a fringe case.

I do find it hard to believe the home video market will ever need more than 1920x1080. I know they are working on some pretty ridiculous resolutions beyond that, but unless home users start getting gargantuan TVs haven't we more or less hit the wall with regards to pixel density for home video?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember looking forward to the third OVA for many years :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never understood how it's possible for Japanese and US releases to have different encodes. I mean I'm pretty sure I know why it happens (give the US folks worse masters to discourage reverse importing), but it's so incredibly silly when any scrub with a computer should be able to rip the video files and slap on some subs and menus and alternate audio tracks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, but why even bother with the masters? One company has already done the Masters->BD process, it would save time/money/effort to just literally copy the digital files over. Just call up Geneon, ask to borrow their BDs for a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I very nearly threw down $300 or whatever it was to get the first box set, only to pull back when it was revealed to be an unremarkable upscale. If this set has English subs as well and it's actually HD, I'll probably try again. Y'all are this close to having my money for your laughably overpriced merchandise, please close the deal!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli film, so that's nice. Going to be a while before it hits stateside though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
'Wolf Children' is apparently coming out in the US on November 11.

Buy this movie.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 11, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
:toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Gainax is planning some sort of Year of Eva once the final Rebuild movie comes out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squallege posted:

Holy poo poo you're right!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...5324S6KHFY40FRN

Bring this to the states, whoever!
The "fullscreen" version of the last episode that they apparently included is pretty hilarious. Maybe I just breezed through a few bad shots as I jumped around but it seems like half of them are incomplete with production notes scribbled in the margins that were obviously intended to be cropped out.

E: Too slow, looks like DamnGlitch already pointed this out

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is the Gunbuster set an upscale? I mean...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62065

Diebuster's set seems to be the real deal though and is gorgeous.

friendo55 posted:

Reposting from the Cinema Discusso Blu-Ray thread:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
Having only watched a few anime films myself, I've read it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is the series worth picking up as a blind-buy?
I thought it was a decent series, if trying a bit hard to pull at the heartstrings. Certainly better than most of the dreck airing these days. I had no idea there was a movie though, but reading up on it apparently it's basically an epilogue of "where they are now" which certainly would be useless to watch without the series under your belt.

Even then, $60 for an 11 episode series is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It just seems like I have to really strain my eyes to see any additional detail (such as the lines on Noriko's face). It's there, but something seemingly closer to a professional upscale from a better/cleaner source than my DVD. Though weren't the Bandai Visual GB DVDs based off of a relatively recent remaster?

Compared to: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62075

Unless Bandai Visual's Diebuster DVD release was just really bad originally. No clue about the CG parts though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread