Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Most hand drawn things from the 80s transition extremely well to Blu-Ray.

It's sad that we're not getting the Zeta Gundam TV show on Blu-Ray over here, because the subbed rips from the Japanese one are loving gorgeous. It really shows how well animated the show was for being just a Gundam TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Cell animation lends itself incredibly well IF the money is spent on the remaster. For example I heard the Legends of the Galactic Heroes release was loving terrible and hardly improved on the DVD release.

Which makes it extra shameful because the 4 boxsets costs $600 each.

LOGH isn't THAT good looking of a TV series, in all honesty. As much as I worship it, they cut a lot of corners deliberately to make up for it being, well, amazing otherwise.

It looks sweet and has some great visuals often, but it likes to conserve movement and has a lot of Macross-face going on sometimes.

And Japanese media pricing is worthless in its entirety but that's an entirely different argument

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Infinitum posted:

That's the thing though and I think you're missing the point. I agree that a lot of old TV series honestly don't look good, but if you remaster them like you actually care about the source material they can look spectacular and brand new. All the grain, fuzz and blur gets removed and you're left with something that feels like you're watching that was created yesterday.

No, I mean the original series was not really drawn extremely well or good, it has a lot of cut corners so it's kind of moot. No amount of remastering will make Yang's face stop changing dimensions in certain conversations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wasn't Bebop also made during the transition from cels era, so that it doesn't actually have a high resolution/ definition source?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Edge Zero posted:

Can anyone confirm that the US Casshern release is awful, or can I still hope to get it because maybe it's just that guys lovely player/TV?

There is line glow for some reason, yeah. Comparison screen shots prove it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

I want to bring this back up, because I too would like to know if there's any good BR software out yet. I bought a BR player for my computer only to find none of the popular players work for it, and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)

No, and all BR software costs like hundreds of dollars.

Basically companies are out to gently caress you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Redline is out on DVD/BD tomorrow in the US! Make sure you get it!

Also, make sure you post in the thread in Cinema Discusso so that non-ADTRW types get in on this. Also our own Redline thread.

• Locked thread