Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«560 »
eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have any on-monitor adjustment for color (there is supposedly a "User" settings mode but it doesn't let me adjust colors). On the NVIDIA control panel colors tab I enabled the user mode and adjusted the blue channel, but anything I adjust will change the color of the backdrop (but not the square at the center that's being balanced) and then immediately undo as I release the mouse button, even if I apply the settings. Not sure how to proceed.

(Brightness is easy to balance if needed)

You're supposed to use the "Laptop" preset if your monitor's OSD doesn't offer any RBG adjustments, Displaycal will figure it out for you. Also set the mode to LCD (White LED).

Calibrating to a certain desired whitepoint (ie. 6500k) that's far from your display's native will cost you some contrast and you'll end up with a smaller gamut because it has to adjust your greens significantly.
For non-printing/general purpose/single monitor calibration I'd just leave it at the display's native white point to retain maximum contrast.

If calibration end ups with a picture that looks way too blue/cold that's probably because your filters aged and degraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grog
Mar 31, 2007

I forgot about the laptop mode. I use that on my parents' laptop but it's been a while since I've done anything more than a 10-point calibration for my own screen.

Yeah, as mentioned, if you want an accurate setup and your equipment is more complicated than a single monitor or type of monitor/panel, you'll probably need a good spectrophotometer to profile against in addition to a colorimeter, or to get your colorimeter profiled against somebody else's quality spectro if you want your stuff to match as closely as possible. There are also companies who sell pre-corrected colorimeters, if you want to go that route. The differences in the physical characteristics between different models/panels/types of display apparently make it hard to match multiple monitors otherwise (I don't have a multi-monitor setup). I'm guessing most people who just want more consistently smooth and accurate colours and grayscales won't care enough to spend the extra money and effort for a spectro and the required setup. Or they forgo all of the hassle and get a professional to do everything.

Personally, I just bought my ColorMunki to get a better calibration than using lagom.nl and adjusting by eye. It should probably be profiled against a spectro but I also probably won't do that in the near future. If I was doing professional, colour-critical work, I'd likely need more than the cheap setup I currently have.

Speaking of all of this, has anybody here calibrated an OLED yet? It sounds like it's a lot more involved of a process, and standard LCDs can already take a while.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Will a colorimeter help me get the colors closer to the same on my different monitors? I've got two Dell 2407WFP-HC and one Acer XB270HU. I've tried using the settings from TFTCentral on all of them and the Dells just have way more of a yellow tint to them.

This exaggerates the difference some, but you get the idea:

I can't seem to come up with a combination of settings that matches these things up in any way...

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah absolutely. The left monitor is relatively warm, the right one is relatively cool. You'll want to calibrate them to what is generally accepted as a neutral whitepoint of D65/6500K or whatever your preference is.

The picture will always look a slightly different but the apparent yellow/blue tint will go away and colors will match much better than they do now.

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

I'M FLYING TO HARDEE'S

Isn't part of the 2407WFP-HC's yellow tint the fact that it's a CCFL-based display and the CCFL has slowly faded over time?

eames
May 9, 2009

I thought CCFL displays only get dimmer with age?

Grog
Mar 31, 2007

There can be colour shift as well. If that one has actually been in use for the past decade, it might be losing contrast/brightness overall. You can still correct for that at least somewhat. I'm dealing with that kind of shift on my 2011 TV that's slowly losing contrast in the red channel, and losing it faster in the blue. It's down to a max of around 90 cd/m^2 on the blues now.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

Those old monitors absolutely yellow over time, I have a 2407 that looks identical. A spyderpro fixed it so it looks normal (except for the hardware cursor which is yellow as hell).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grog posted:

There can be colour shift as well. If that one has actually been in use for the past decade,

IIRC, it's been in use for at least 8 years.

I wonder if its worth replacing the CCFL's. They're not terribly expensive...my brief googlin leads me to think they're less than $50 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Grog posted:

Speaking of all of this, has anybody here calibrated an OLED yet? It sounds like it's a lot more involved of a process, and standard LCDs can already take a while.

Considering what they cost, I'd argue you calibrate your eyes to the OLED, not the other way around.

In all seriousness, I don't think any of the major colorimeters are set up for OLED panels, and I have no idea whether generic LCD settings will work properly with them or not.

«560 »