Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«582 »
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

afaik the general recommemdation for an aftermarket monitor stand is the amazon basics one, which also comes in a dual version. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Edit: Using the DP cable from the box

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at Oct 14, 2017 around 08:46

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Are you talking about not noticing Gsync or the high refresh rate? Because you should definitely notice the difference between going from 60hz to 144hz by just moving the mouse really quickly.

Gsync can be hit or miss on high refresh rate monitors

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

YEAH

LICK MY ASS

BITCH

What game are you playing? Did you set the gameís max fps to 144? Did you set the monitors max FPS?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is the monitor set to 144hz in its OSD? Also check the windows control panel, it shouldn't matter but sometimes wield poo poo happens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

and she told me, "Listen honey. There's hundreds of strong men out there. I like men who are kind, who are honest, men who can be open with me."

TOOT BOOT posted:

In case this wasn't obvious, you have to disable VSync in the games that you play to take advantage of GSync.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

fletcher posted:

Is it a price thing? I had a 24" 1080p 144Hz and went to 27" 1440p 165Hz and it is glorious

Yes and no. I had an xb271hu briefly but returned it. Itís just too much monitor for me, size and price wise. My aging processor has an easier time maxing out 1080 as well. I donít want to give up ips for 144hz though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All that stuff is set perfectly and I still don't really see a big difference. I never thought I'd be one of those people! I mostly play Dota and not fast-paced shooters though so maybe that's the reason.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't really notice much of a difference either. I mostly play pubg and overwatch.

I don't think it's because my eyes are bad...im just not sensitive to it I guess.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

So the OP is outdated, what's the monitor release schedule look like? Is now a good time to buy? I have a Dell 2405FPW that's getting long in the tooth and am interested in replacing it.

I paid $900 for the dell which has lasted me about a decade so I guess my replacement budget is also around that. Vid card's currently a GTX 970 4gb and it's use is primarily playing games @ 1920x1200. I guess everyone is 16:9 instead of 16:10 now, that's fine. I don't want it to have a fanged mouth glued on or be bright red with strobing LEDs. I also don't really need it to have speakers or usb ports or do anything except for display a picture, with FPS performance preferred over color fidelity, presumably I want a 122hz or 144hz or 165hz, the more hertz the better? "24 or around that is a good size for me, I could scale up or down an inch or two if there's a significant price point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Bhodi posted:

So the OP is outdated, what's the monitor release schedule look like? Is now a good time to buy? I have a Dell 2405FPW that's getting long in the tooth and am interested in replacing it.

I paid $900 for the dell which has lasted me about a decade so I guess my replacement budget is also around that. Vid card's currently a GTX 970 4gb and it's use is primarily playing games @ 1920x1200. I guess everyone is 16:9 instead of 16:10 now, that's fine. I don't want it to have a fanged mouth glued on or be bright red with strobing LEDs. I also don't really need it to have speakers or usb ports or do anything except for display a picture, with FPS performance preferred over color fidelity, presumably I want a 122hz or 144hz or 165hz, the more hertz the better? "24 or around that is a good size for me, I could scale up or down an inch or two if there's a significant price point.

There is no monitor release schedule, they say something is coming out one year, it gets pushed back, maybe it comes out three years later? Maybe never?

Anyway, if you want to spend that kind of money you are probably best off getting one of the 27", 144/165Hz, 2560x1440, IPS, Gsync monitors like the Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q. All the 24" stuff is TN and well under your budget. Supposedly there are 4k 144hz monitors coming out in 2018 but those have supposed to have come out for a couple years now so who knows if they will really drop in '18?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

So the high hz only comes in 27inch and above? Don't I want to run games in native resolution? Don't want or need to spend that much, just saying that's my ceiling.

also, lmao @

"That monitor you want for your birthday costs how much? I found this one for you instead and it seems perfectly fine so I ordered it, it's coming on thursday"

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2017 around 22:15

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

YEAH

LICK MY ASS

BITCH

Bhodi posted:

So the high hz only comes in 27inch and above? Don't I want to run games in native resolution? Don't want or need to spend that much, just saying that's my ceiling.

There are plenty of 24" 144hz TN panels out there, but they're pretty awful. If you want IPS you pretty much have to go 27" and up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Bhodi posted:

also, lmao @

"That monitor you want for your birthday costs how much? I found this one for you instead and it seems perfectly fine so I ordered it, it's coming on thursday"

Like VulgarandStupid said, you can't get high refresh IPS panels at under 27", they don't make them. The best of the 24" TN versions is the Dell S2417DG, but it's still 1440p. There are a bunch of 1080p ones, but the panel quality can be pretty bad, the Acer XB241H is probably the best choice among those.

You are going from a very old monitor so whatever you get is still probably going to look a lot better than what you have right now. Spend what you feel comfortable spending.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

bought the acer above, because it dropped $75 overnight to $700? thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Somebody mentioned to me that running games in Windowed Borderless mode will be subjected to V-Sync in Windows 10 automatically, and thus have input lag. Is that true? Does it also apply if I have G-Sync enabled?

«582 »