Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
afaik the general recommemdation for an aftermarket monitor stand is the amazon basics one, which also comes in a dual version. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Edit: Using the DP cable from the box

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 14, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Are you talking about not noticing Gsync or the high refresh rate? Because you should definitely notice the difference between going from 60hz to 144hz by just moving the mouse really quickly.

Gsync can be hit or miss on high refresh rate monitors

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What game are you playing? Did you set the game’s max fps to 144? Did you set the monitors max FPS?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is the monitor set to 144hz in its OSD? Also check the windows control panel, it shouldn't matter but sometimes wield poo poo happens.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TOOT BOOT posted:

In case this wasn't obvious, you have to disable VSync in the games that you play to take advantage of GSync.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

fletcher posted:

Is it a price thing? I had a 24" 1080p 144Hz and went to 27" 1440p 165Hz and it is glorious

Yes and no. I had an xb271hu briefly but returned it. It’s just too much monitor for me, size and price wise. My aging processor has an easier time maxing out 1080 as well. I don’t want to give up ips for 144hz though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All that stuff is set perfectly and I still don't really see a big difference. I never thought I'd be one of those people! I mostly play Dota and not fast-paced shooters though so maybe that's the reason.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't really notice much of a difference either. I mostly play pubg and overwatch.

I don't think it's because my eyes are bad...im just not sensitive to it I guess.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So the OP is outdated, what's the monitor release schedule look like? Is now a good time to buy? I have a Dell 2405FPW that's getting long in the tooth and am interested in replacing it.

I paid $900 for the dell which has lasted me about a decade so I guess my replacement budget is also around that. Vid card's currently a GTX 970 4gb and it's use is primarily playing games @ 1920x1200. I guess everyone is 16:9 instead of 16:10 now, that's fine. I don't want it to have a fanged mouth glued on or be bright red with strobing LEDs. I also don't really need it to have speakers or usb ports or do anything except for display a picture, with FPS performance preferred over color fidelity, presumably I want a 122hz or 144hz or 165hz, the more hertz the better? "24 or around that is a good size for me, I could scale up or down an inch or two if there's a significant price point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bhodi posted:

So the OP is outdated, what's the monitor release schedule look like? Is now a good time to buy? I have a Dell 2405FPW that's getting long in the tooth and am interested in replacing it.

I paid $900 for the dell which has lasted me about a decade so I guess my replacement budget is also around that. Vid card's currently a GTX 970 4gb and it's use is primarily playing games @ 1920x1200. I guess everyone is 16:9 instead of 16:10 now, that's fine. I don't want it to have a fanged mouth glued on or be bright red with strobing LEDs. I also don't really need it to have speakers or usb ports or do anything except for display a picture, with FPS performance preferred over color fidelity, presumably I want a 122hz or 144hz or 165hz, the more hertz the better? "24 or around that is a good size for me, I could scale up or down an inch or two if there's a significant price point.

There is no monitor release schedule, they say something is coming out one year, it gets pushed back, maybe it comes out three years later? Maybe never?

Anyway, if you want to spend that kind of money you are probably best off getting one of the 27", 144/165Hz, 2560x1440, IPS, Gsync monitors like the Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q. All the 24" stuff is TN and well under your budget. Supposedly there are 4k 144hz monitors coming out in 2018 but those have supposed to have come out for a couple years now so who knows if they will really drop in '18?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So the high hz only comes in 27inch and above? Don't I want to run games in native resolution? Don't want or need to spend that much, just saying that's my ceiling.

also, lmao @

"That monitor you want for your birthday costs how much? I found this one for you instead and it seems perfectly fine so I ordered it, it's coming on thursday"

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 16, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bhodi posted:

So the high hz only comes in 27inch and above? Don't I want to run games in native resolution? Don't want or need to spend that much, just saying that's my ceiling.

There are plenty of 24" 144hz TN panels out there, but they're pretty awful. If you want IPS you pretty much have to go 27" and up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bhodi posted:

also, lmao @

"That monitor you want for your birthday costs how much? I found this one for you instead and it seems perfectly fine so I ordered it, it's coming on thursday"

Like VulgarandStupid said, you can't get high refresh IPS panels at under 27", they don't make them. The best of the 24" TN versions is the Dell S2417DG, but it's still 1440p. There are a bunch of 1080p ones, but the panel quality can be pretty bad, the Acer XB241H is probably the best choice among those.

You are going from a very old monitor so whatever you get is still probably going to look a lot better than what you have right now. Spend what you feel comfortable spending.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
bought the acer above, because it dropped $75 overnight to $700? thanks guys :iiam:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Somebody mentioned to me that running games in Windowed Borderless mode will be subjected to V-Sync in Windows 10 automatically, and thus have input lag. Is that true? Does it also apply if I have G-Sync enabled?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a way to adjust in software (macOS) for displays that are old? I got an hp 2335 for free the other day, its still a great monitor but it has some yellowing along the edges from the backlight aging.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You can change the color profile a little if it's the entire image that's shifted color, but that'll only help a little and it won't get you colors back that have become impossible for the monitor to display due to degradation. It also won't help if you've got just edge yellowing or other sorts of non-uniform discoloration.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Right, it's edge yellowing that's the issue. That would be a great little app, like being able to resize an effect area of color adjustment to make older monitors great again (and earth-friendly too.)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Is there anything to look out for when buying a 30" 4k screen? I can get a AOC U3277FWQ A-MWA panel for cheap, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for over more expensive ones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rectus posted:

Is there anything to look out for when buying a 30" 4k screen? I can get a AOC U3277FWQ A-MWA panel for cheap, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for over more expensive ones.

If you're looking to game on it - ASUS makes a 4K@60Hz display with G-Sync, and there are Freesync ones for cheaper. If you merely want the resolution and screen real estate, I see no issues with that AOC.

But gaming on a 4K display with anything short of a 1080Ti almost requires some form of adaptive synchronization to not make you hate life *when* you drop below 60fps.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you're looking to game on it - ASUS makes a 4K@60Hz display with G-Sync, and there are Freesync ones for cheaper. If you merely want the resolution and screen real estate, I see no issues with that AOC.

But gaming on a 4K display with anything short of a 1080Ti almost requires some form of adaptive synchronization to not make you hate life *when* you drop below 60fps.

Thanks. The ASUS 30"+ ones look expensive though (in Sweden, so everything is). I'm looking to both game and creative stuff, and I have a 980Ti. I have a 28" 1440p without adaptive sync at the moment, plus two old CCFL space heaters I want to replace, so I'll probably go for another 28" 1440p screen instead then.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I'm planning to upgrade my gpu and monitor sometime between now and the end of the year, so I want to get a handle of the model numbers to be looking at when black friday/cyber monday deals hit. I currently play mostly overwatch and cs:go, but I'm getting hyped for Destiny 2 and would like to max that out with a little gsync/freesync action if it doesn't throw me way out of my budget. I'd like to keep total for card and monitor in the $700-800 range, but I'm willing to go up to $1k if it makes sense. I'm currently using a 1920x1080, 22" IPS and would like to stay 22"-24" and IPS, but I'm coming to terms with a TN since that seems to be necessary in order to stay with the size/budget/features I'm looking for. I'm also still deciding between 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 at this point, leaning toward 1440 if it doesn't wreck the budget between a monitor and a beefy enough card. Are the XB241H or S2417DG what i'm looking at for these requirements? Are there other Goon Approved models I should be looking at when shopping around?

At a quick glance it looks like I'd want a GTX 1070 for 2560x1440 and GTX 1060 if I stay in 1920x1080, does that sound right for gpu or is that a better question for the parts picking thread?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I'm planning to upgrade my gpu and monitor sometime between now and the end of the year, so I want to get a handle of the model numbers to be looking at when black friday/cyber monday deals hit. I currently play mostly overwatch and cs:go, but I'm getting hyped for Destiny 2 and would like to max that out with a little gsync/freesync action if it doesn't throw me way out of my budget. I'd like to keep total for card and monitor in the $700-800 range, but I'm willing to go up to $1k if it makes sense. I'm currently using a 1920x1080, 22" IPS and would like to stay 22"-24" and IPS, but I'm coming to terms with a TN since that seems to be necessary in order to stay with the size/budget/features I'm looking for. I'm also still deciding between 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 at this point, leaning toward 1440 if it doesn't wreck the budget between a monitor and a beefy enough card. Are the XB241H or S2417DG what i'm looking at for these requirements? Are there other Goon Approved models I should be looking at when shopping around?

At a quick glance it looks like I'd want a GTX 1070 for 2560x1440 and GTX 1060 if I stay in 1920x1080, does that sound right for gpu or is that a better question for the parts picking thread?

For the monitor I would go with the Dell S2417DG, it's by far the best choice and the price right now is amazing, normally they are like $450 minimum, but right now they are $380 on Newegg with the promo code 1018MNHP2, snap one up right now, you won't find a better deal on black friday/cyber monday.

For the GPU, well, that whole situation sucks right now, the 1070 is overpriced because of cryptocurrency miners, it's better to bump up to the 1080, so I would recommend grabbing that monitor plus a decent 1080, that will come to about $900 but is the most bang for your buck.

Anyway, just nab that monitor right away.

eames
May 9, 2009

You're on the right track. GTX 1070 is ok for 1440p but Nvidia is going to release a GTX 1070 ti next week that's rumoured to perform almost like a GTX 1080 at a lower price point.
That and one of your listed monitors would be a solid combination. The nice thing here with G-Sync is that your setup can smoothly display ~70 FPS in (future) intensive AAA titles to 165 FPS in your listed e-sports games without wasting GPU power or refresh rate potential. In my eyes that's a great solution until the good 4K/144Hz IPS panels become standard in a few years.
Standard TN display disclaimers apply: Low contrast, gamma shift, hardware calibration recommended.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

eames posted:

You're on the right track. GTX 1070 is ok for 1440p but Nvidia is going to release a GTX 1070 ti next week that's rumoured to perform almost like a GTX 1080 at a lower price point.
That and one of your listed monitors would be a solid combination. The nice thing here with G-Sync is that your setup can smoothly display ~70 FPS in (future) intensive AAA titles to 165 FPS in your listed e-sports games without wasting GPU power or refresh rate potential. In my eyes that's a great solution until the good 4K/144Hz IPS panels become standard in a few years.
Standard TN display disclaimers apply: Low contrast, gamma shift, hardware calibration recommended.

The 1070ti is a good solution if they can manage to grab one before the miners snap them all up and drive the price up to $600, but you have to be pretty quick on the draw for that.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"
I'm ordering that 34" AW3418DW from Dell tomorrow. $1065 for it is just too good a deal to pass up. I'll try to remember to post about how my 1070 runs things on it like PUBG, Dota, R6: Siege, Divinity.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sterling_Archer posted:

I'm ordering that 34" AW3418DW from Dell tomorrow. $1065 for it is just too good a deal to pass up. I'll try to remember to post about how my 1070 runs things on it like PUBG, Dota, R6: Siege, Divinity.

You'l be most pleased, but remember that you will want to use NVidia Inspector to set the maximum framerate slightly below that of your monitor (you can use the monitor's FPS counter to confirm). For instance, you can set the monitor to 120hz, and run games at 118hz cap. The moment they hit 120 or above, Gsync breaks. You'd think for all the highfalutin Gsync tech, NVidia could have made frame limits automatic by now, or at least build Frame Limit in to GeForce Experience like AMD did with ReLive.

I don't know how well a 1070 is gonna swing PUBG though, might need to turn down some settings. My 1080ti was actually hitting my 118hz cap for a lot of GTAV.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Thanks for the advice guys. :cheers: I think I will try to snag a 1070 ti when they launch if that is going to give me good performance at 1440

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Zero VGS posted:

You'l be most pleased, but remember that you will want to use NVidia Inspector to set the maximum framerate slightly below that of your monitor (you can use the monitor's FPS counter to confirm). For instance, you can set the monitor to 120hz, and run games at 118hz cap. The moment they hit 120 or above, Gsync breaks. You'd think for all the highfalutin Gsync tech, NVidia could have made frame limits automatic by now, or at least build Frame Limit in to GeForce Experience like AMD did with ReLive.

Isn't this what turning on vsync in the control panel does? I have mine set to the maximum rate plus vsync and haven't had a problem with gsync breaking.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hikaki posted:

Isn't this what turning on vsync in the control panel does? I have mine set to the maximum rate plus vsync and haven't had a problem with gsync breaking.

I would think that turning on VSync would add some frames of input lag. Doing it the way I described and leaving VSync off globally is a sure way to avoid that.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What's up with Displayport not turning on until AFTER booted into windows? What if I need to access bios or boot screen?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ak Gara posted:

What's up with Displayport not turning on until AFTER booted into windows? What if I need to access bios or boot screen?

I went through three 970s and a GTX560Ti 448 core before that and I've always had DP fire up and give me an ASUS splash screen.

\/ My most current monitor is an IPS 2412M. First one was a Rev A00 - and I believe the replacement I got from Dell is a Rev A03.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 21, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I thought the delay was from IPS monitor warm up times rather than for sync from a DP port?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So what models are you guys recommending? 27", mostly coding and gaming. Keen on the higher refresh rate.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

So what models are you guys recommending? 27", mostly coding and gaming. Keen on the higher refresh rate.

For Gsync/Nvidia GPUs the Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q which are IPS or the Dell S2716DG if you are ok with TN and want to save a couple hundred bucks. For Freesync/AMD the Nixeus NX-EDG27 which is IPS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ak Gara posted:

Definitely not a Displayport thing, you've just got a slow monitor. This has definitely become a problem with how fast modern PCs boot, especially if the motherboard vendor decided to use non-standard keys for entering the menus. I wish there was a way to tell my monitor "do not go in to power save mode when you lose signal, just stay on and it'll be back in a second".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the best way to do a monitor & tv swapping sort of thing?

Like my default setup for computering is two monitors, but once in awhile I want to swap to TV. Duplicating the primary display (1) to TV (display 3) did what I wanted, but after I turned off the TV I noticed that there was a bit of sluggishness to my games despite them reporting 60 FPS, and it went away once I disabled the link to the TV display. Is there a way around this / is there a proper way to set this up?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Oxyclean posted:

What's the best way to do a monitor & tv swapping sort of thing?

Like my default setup for computering is two monitors, but once in awhile I want to swap to TV. Duplicating the primary display (1) to TV (display 3) did what I wanted, but after I turned off the TV I noticed that there was a bit of sluggishness to my games despite them reporting 60 FPS, and it went away once I disabled the link to the TV display. Is there a way around this / is there a proper way to set this up?

A HDMI splitter should do the trick, assuming your main monitor is 1080p60 like your TV presumably is.

That said there really shouldn't be any latency when using mirroring on a single GPU. What's your setup? You aren't running with the TV connected to onboard are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wolrah posted:

A HDMI splitter should do the trick, assuming your main monitor is 1080p60 like your TV presumably is.

That said there really shouldn't be any latency when using mirroring on a single GPU. What's your setup? You aren't running with the TV connected to onboard are you?

I got at GTX1070 - and all three displays are hooked up to the card. I have monitor 2 hooked up through DVI, monitor 1 through a HDMI to DVI cable, and the TV through a display port adapter to HDMI cable. (the 1070 I have only has one DVI and HDMI, and 3 display ports, both my monitors are too old to have DP.)

Didn't know hdmi splitters were a thing - I'm definitely getting something weird happening - latency I guess, its very slightly and tricky to describe, but I'm certainly noticing something on mouse movement when the TV display is enabled (even if the TV is off.)