Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«606 »
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Saukkis posted:

I have a below style mount, it presses the computer from below and it would require considerable force to come loose. I also have the mount tilted between the side legs of the table, so the computer is pretty well out of the way.

How is this different from just putting the computer on the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

"it's a bot! it's a bot!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Saukkis posted:

I have a below style mount, it presses the computer from below and it would require considerable force to come loose. I also have the mount tilted between the side legs of the table, so the computer is pretty well out of the way.

Notice how the actual mount only holds onto ~1/3 of the entire length of the PC? That means that it only takes one solid bump to get the PC to slip out. Of course, the more force you use the more secure the PC will be, but the PC is still ultimately just dangling there. I'm telling you from experience that this was a constant problem at my workplace. Granted, that involved dumb work people who don't give a poo poo about company property, but in the same circumstances it would still be a risk for you and your personal PC.

Part of the issue was again the fact that the PCs were mounted within a relatively narrow under-desk area that also shared space with the user's chair and legs, and another part was the fact that the actual mounts can slide the whole PC forward and back. This meant that you could actually push the mount far enough back to hit the rear of the desk and spit the PC out forward, and also users would pull the whole PC too far forward to reach the USB ports on the back.

You have a different mounting situation, with a the PC off to the side and a lot more room underneath that table, but this was enough of an issue where I have to recommend against these under-desk mounts.

Hellsau posted:

I think the idea is to get it up & out of the way, so your feet don't hit it and you can vacuum/clean underneath. In my case, these mounts were immediately preceded by these rolling floor mounts, kind of like this. A manager thought it was a good idea to switch mounting hardware to raise the PCs 6" but to be fair, it's not like he could've predicted the chaos that would ensue.

Trans-LoafWithTail
Mar 6, 2009

Trans-loaf with tail is the forty-ninth most common still life in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being less common than block and cap but more common than cis-rotated hook. It is also the fifty-nineth most common object on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue.

Coredump posted:

Would you be willing to do 1920 x 1080 or do you really prefer the 1920 x 1200? Also are you willing to go up in resolution?

This one is 27" 1920 x 1080 and can do 75 hz refresh for ~ $210: https://www.amazon.com/LG-Full-Dual...r/dp/B06Y18624J

Oh, Iím willing to go higher on resolution, and my budget is $400. Just gotta be 27 inches or more.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

Oh, I’m willing to go higher on resolution, and my budget is $400. Just gotta be 27 inches or more.

Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS WQHD AMD FreeSync Certified Range of 30Hz - 144Hz (Adaptive-Sync)1440p LED Gaming Monitor With Base Stand (NX-EDG27S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G6PGP...a_tgyyAbYWYP6SS

This is the monitor I got. IPS. Great free sync range if you have an AMD card. The real compromise on the monitor is the larger bevels, But there's no bleed. Very happy with it. If you want something similar with gsync your gonna need to fork over quite a bit more though.

Edit: also I've been using it with a GTX 1080. I don't really have fps issues in any game I play. So I don't really miss the gsync. I had a AMD card before and it worked great on the monitor when I first got it. I switched to a GTX card when I built my new system

Silhouette Wires fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 05:53

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Notice how the actual mount only holds onto ~1/3 of the entire length of the PC? That means that it only takes one solid bump to get the PC to slip out. Of course, the more force you use the more secure the PC will be, but the PC is still ultimately just dangling there. I'm telling you from experience that this was a constant problem at my workplace. Granted, that involved dumb work people who don't give a poo poo about company property, but in the same circumstances it would still be a risk for you and your personal PC.

That's a nonissue, the mount is very tight. You can give it a kick and the computer won't slide. In fact, you're more likely to rip the mount off the table.

What your experience tought us, is that you need to choose a sturdy mount and take the time to plan how to install it on the desk. I'm sure the designers of that mount didn't mean it to be installed rotated between the desk legs, but what ever works. It was certainly easier than what I had to do with same kind and the electric desks at work. The mechanized legs take too much space to have a place for the mount to be installed. I had to unscrew the table from the legs and move it off-center as much as possible. At least it provided amusement for my coworkers while I was drilling and screwing under the desk. And it was a better than another style of electric desk where I had to attach the computer under the desk with straps.

Admittedly they've mostly stopped using them at my work too. It doesn't make sense for the company to pay for the carpenters to install the mounts and for IT support to go for the extra effort to attach the computers to the mounts instead of dropping them somewhere in the cable reach. But for my own desk at home and work I will certainly go through the effort.

Hellsau posted:

It's off the floor so it isn't gathering dust from there and it's not in the way while vacuuming. It's also not taking any valuable table space and the fans aren't next to my ear. I consider under desk mounting the optimal method with the computer in the way the least.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

"it's a bot! it's a bot!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Saukkis posted:

That's a nonissue, the mount is very tight. You can give it a kick and the computer won't slide. In fact, you're more likely to rip the mount off the table.

What your experience tought us, is that you need to choose a sturdy mount and take the time to plan how to install it on the desk. I'm sure the designers of that mount didn't mean it to be installed rotated between the desk legs, but what ever works. It was certainly easier than what I had to do with same kind and the electric desks at work. The mechanized legs take too much space to have a place for the mount to be installed. I had to unscrew the table from the legs and move it off-center as much as possible. At least it provided amusement for my coworkers while I was drilling and screwing under the desk. And it was a better than another style of electric desk where I had to attach the computer under the desk with straps.

Admittedly they've mostly stopped using them at my work too. It doesn't make sense for the company to pay for the carpenters to install the mounts and for IT support to go for the extra effort to attach the computers to the mounts instead of dropping them somewhere in the cable reach. But for my own desk at home and work I will certainly go through the effort.

It's off the floor so it isn't gathering dust from there and it's not in the way while vacuuming. It's also not taking any valuable table space and the fans aren't next to my ear. I consider under desk mounting the optimal method with the computer in the way the least.

It's great that that setup works for you, but I must reiterate that the mouthbreathers I work with managed to damage a bunch of computers mounted that way as previously described. As I've said, based on my own experience/observation I cannot recommend that style of PC mount, but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a couple of old 24" Dell 2407WFP monitors flanking my Acer XB270HU.

They're getting old and the backlight is yellowing and dimming. I might just end up replacing the backlight, but maybe I'll just replace them...with something. Preferably cheap and it doesn't need to be a gaming monitor.

Anyone have any idea what monitors are going to come closest to matching my Acer when it comes to the image?

«606 »