Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

FunOne posted:

27", 2k / 1440p, gsync? Any recommendations? I'm willing to drop Gsync since gaming is about 5% of the use.

Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q if you want G-sync. Without, I dunno - I don't think there are any high refresh rate ones without G-sync, and for standard 60Hz, just find a suitable Dell one I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
  • XB271HU/PG279Q/AG271QG - $700 new, $525 refurb (GSync)
  • XF270HU - $400 new, $350 refurb (FreeSync)
  • various Acer/Dell IPS panels - $250-300 new (60 Hz)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since he didn't explicitly mention a desire for IPS, the 27" Dell TN should be included in the list, too. Too bad I don't think there's a sale on it right now.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Seamonster posted:

Make sure your xbox game bar thing is turned off in Windows.?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still on Windows 8.1, so don't think the xbox gamebar is a feature (yeah, I'm a little slow to upgrade).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since he didn't explicitly mention a desire for IPS, the 27" Dell TN should be included in the list, too. Too bad I don't think there's a sale on it right now.

IPS good, TN bad? Best buy has the S2716DGR for 430

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FunOne posted:

IPS good, TN bad? Best buy has the S2716DGR for 430

The Dell TN display is probably one of, if not the, best TN panels you can buy. IPS is worth it, but if money's really tight, the Dell monitor is a good compromise.

Here's a video that compares the 2716 with an IPS and another high-end TN panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b57S0cxZpjo

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 22, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Dell TNs are really good value for gaming but I personally would not recommend them to somebody who states "gaming is about 5% of the use."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Dell TNs are really good value for gaming but I personally would not recommend them to somebody who states "gaming is about 5% of the use."

Vast majority of my time unfortunately is Excel and web.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Opinions on the Dell U2717D for general use? I've got a 27" Samsung 1080p TN display as my primary now and would like more pixels. Inexpensive options with higher resolution and/or larger size exist, but they all seem to give up a lot (e.g., that $400 32" AOC MVA UHD display Tom's Hardware seems to like). I'm prioritizing panel quality over size or UHD, although 27" is as small as I'd like to go. Use case is mostly programming, web/office use, and occasional Netflix. Ideally I'd like to get two or three to replace my current FHD mismatched multi-monitor set-up.

Also, would the Dell stand up to casual gaming assuming I resign myself to buying a decent GPU now that prices aren't completely insane? I know it's 60Hz and the refresh rate isn't great, but I just want to be able to play whatever FPS is popular on Steam right now at a decent resolution/setting without having a miserable experience due to poor display choice. This is a lot less important than my other needs, but it would be nice.

edit: Alternately, Best Buy has a S2716DGR (27", 1440p, TN, gsync) mentioned above on display locally. I should go see how the TN panel looks. It might be just fine. No DP-out for daisy-chaining is annoying though. v:geno:v

double edit: I mostly just want to know how bad gaming on a 60Hz display would be. Unplayable, or just not as smooth? I'm not going to be a pro gamer, just want to run around and shoot things.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Gaming on 60hz is absolutely fine. It has been for decades. Higher refresh rates are absolutely nice but you aren't going to have a problem enjoying games at "just" 60 fps. Most console games have been running at 30fps for the past gen or two at least.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stan Taylor posted:

Gaming on 60hz is absolutely fine. It has been for decades. Higher refresh rates are absolutely nice but you aren't going to have a problem enjoying games at "just" 60 fps. Most console games have been running at 30fps for the past gen or two at least.

Sure, but consoles are for children who don't know any better :goonsay:

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Stan Taylor posted:

Besides, you need a pretty solid system to maintain 144hz with modern games even on FHD, which it doesn't sound like he has. Otherwise your frame rate is going to drop by like half during action or you'll have to turn down all the settings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCPer tore down the Asus PG27UQ and the G-Sync HDR module has an even bigger Intel FPGA than they were using before, plus the memory was increased from 768MB DDR3 to 3GB DDR4 :eyepop:

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/ASUS-ROG-Swift-PG27UQ-27-4K-144Hz-G-SYNC-Monitor-True-HDR-Arrives-Desktop/Tea

That FPGA alone costs $2600 in small quantities - Nvidia is obviously getting a better deal than that but it's still going to be a huge chunk of the monitors BOM.

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 23, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I wonder which module is in the X34s and 3418DWs.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

PCPer tore down the Asus PG27UQ and the G-Sync HDR module has an even bigger Intel FPGA than they were using before, plus the memory was increased from 768MB DDR3 to 3GB DDR4 :eyepop:

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/ASUS-ROG-Swift-PG27UQ-27-4K-144Hz-G-SYNC-Monitor-True-HDR-Arrives-Desktop/Tea

That FPGA alone costs $2600 in small quantities - Nvidia is obviously getting a better deal than that but it's still going to be a huge chunk of the monitors BOM.

Is there some reason G-Sync uses FPGAs instead of ASICs? Is it just to get them out the door faster, or do they not think they have the consumer base to develop ASICs?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Could anyone recommend a cheap, decent monitor arm for a XB271HU?

My current desk isn't very deep and the big-rear end stand for the XB271 means that the monitor sits right in front of my face.
I'm thinking of getting a monitor arm so the monitor sits further back.

eames
May 9, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Could anyone recommend a cheap, decent monitor arm for a XB271HU?

My current desk isn't very deep and the big-rear end stand for the XB271 means that the monitor sits right in front of my face.
I'm thinking of getting a monitor arm so the monitor sits further back.

The Amazon Basics one gets recommended a lot, it's a rebranded version of a quality product (Ergotron).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If I give up on Gsync, then what is the recommended 2k/4k monitor for browsing, office work, and the occasional shooty games.

I currently have 24" dual and I'm thinking 27" and a Vesa Arm

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

If I give up on Gsync, then what is the recommended 2k/4k monitor for browsing, office work, and the occasional shooty games.

I currently have 24" dual and I'm thinking 27" and a Vesa Arm

Dell Ultrasharp? Or one of the cheaper Samsung or Acer numbers?

Is there a chance in hell that NVidia ever adopts Freesync or are they dug in on that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FunOne posted:

Dell Ultrasharp? Or one of the cheaper Samsung or Acer numbers?

Is there a chance in hell that NVidia ever adopts Freesync or are they dug in on that?

They'd be far more likely to just implement VRR with HDMI 2.1, but I don't know enough about that to answer sagely. For instance, I don't know if the display has to *support* HDMI 2.1 and VRR specifically for it to work.

Here's a relatively recent link explaining it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12997/hdmi-forum-demonstrates-hdmi-21-vrr-capabilities-on-samsung-tv

The most important thing to take from that is that not even AMD is responding to VRR with "oh hey, sounds good" - they're going to continue to implement FreeSync, so we'll have *three* technologies we'll have to explain.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
QHD monitors using 4k panels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/8u9zjm/according_to_the_german_site_called_prad_inside/

Is this legit or just click bait?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This doesn't make sense to me:

quote:

If the firmware is downscaling the resolution to QHD on a 4K panel, the pattern will be visibly blurry.

Isn't it presenting to the OS as QHD, and then upscaling to 4K to feed the panel?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't it presenting to the OS as QHD, and then upscaling to 4K to feed the panel?

Correct, that seems to be a poor translation, either way the result is blurry lines and text due to non-integer scaling.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wolrah posted:

Correct, that seems to be a poor translation, either way the result is blurry lines and text due to non-integer scaling.

Why are manufacturers so averse to integer scaling?

I have a ultra hdmi kit for my n64 and 240p integer scaled looks fantastic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingEup posted:

Why are manufacturers so averse to integer scaling?

I have a ultra hdmi kit for my n64 and 240p integer scaled looks fantastic.

It’s hard to do integer scaling between QHD and 4K, you’ll find.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Has there been any movement on larger 4k screens recently?

I have this 32" BenQ at work and it's great, but I think 40" would be a little more comfortable. Last time I looked into this was over a year ago and it was either slightly dodgy TVs or even dodgier Korean imports to get 4k at around 40".

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Tivac posted:

I have this 32" BenQ at work and it's great, but I think 40" would be a little more comfortable. Last time I looked into this was over a year ago and it was either slightly dodgy TVs or even dodgier Korean imports to get 4k at around 40".

A friend just got the IPS Acer et430k for $450 at MicroCenter (apparently Costco had it at $400) and was very impressed with it vs. a Samsung TV with VA panel (MU5300?).

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-ME0AA-001-ET430K-LED-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4

thiazi fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 28, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tivac posted:

Check put the 43" dell?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but are you locked into your video card's "sync" system to drive a higher refresh rate display?

Could you use an Nvidia card with a 144hz Freesync display and get >60hz on it? Just using say, Vsync or something instead of the "sync" to dynamically refresh?

eames
May 9, 2009

FunOne posted:

Dumb question, but are you locked into your video card's "sync" system to drive a higher refresh rate display?

No

FunOne posted:

Could you use an Nvidia card with a 144hz Freesync display and get >60hz on it?

Yes

FunOne posted:

Just using say, Vsync or something instead of the "sync" to dynamically refresh?

It will simply behave like a fixed refresh rate 144 Hz display.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There were a few Freesync monitors that required Freesync to be active in order to reach their maximum refresh rate, but I don't know how common that is now.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

repiv posted:

There were a few Freesync monitors that required Freesync to be active in order to reach their maximum refresh rate, but I don't know how common that is now.

That was just a couple that were 60Hz but could freesync to 75Hz. I'm gonna guess that you could probably get them to run at 75Hz fixed refresh with CRU.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

Is there some reason G-Sync uses FPGAs instead of ASICs? Is it just to get them out the door faster, or do they not think they have the consumer base to develop ASICs?

Because people buy it anyway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I wonder if, in order to implement GSync, they need to do custom modifications to support each specific panel. It could be that these variances are non-trivial to implement in software, and it's simply easier to do it via a FPGA, and wouldn't make sense to have like 50 slightly different ASICs floating around.

Or it could be that they just don't give a poo poo about the extra cost because those monitors are selling well as-is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm sure Nvidia would rather not use FPGAs if it were economical, as it stands they're collecting the G-Sync tax but then immediately turning around and giving some (most?) of it to Intel/Altera.

That's money that could be in their own pockets if they had G-Sync ASICs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So the dual monitor arm I got a little while back is destroying my cheap Ikea desk top. I have a standing adjustable desk and will likely need to replace the desktop with something that isn't particle board. Does anyone know where I can get a solid wood desktop, countertop or butcherblock for cheap?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

VulgarandStupid posted:

So the dual monitor arm I got a little while back is destroying my cheap Ikea desk top. I have a standing adjustable desk and will likely need to replace the desktop with something that isn't particle board. Does anyone know where I can get a solid wood desktop, countertop or butcherblock for cheap?

IKEA. Gerton is a solid wood table top. Check out their kitchen tops as well.

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010
What's the cheapest 32" 4k ips display I can get?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

VulgarandStupid posted:

Lambert posted:

IKEA. Gerton is a solid wood table top. Check out their kitchen tops as well.

Self quoting to show you my Gerton

canyoneer posted:

In process, the underside of one of them. On the left is stained, on the right is not yet stained (I am finishing 3 total)

These really look great as tabletops for $80 plus some garage time.

canyoneer posted:

My posting station complete. Really pleased with how the table turned out, so I promptly covered it all in computers.
Also, cable management is for dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Those look really nice. What's your procedure for staining them? Using any clearcoat, or wax, or what?