Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«639 »
TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slippery Tilde

FunOne posted:

27", 2k / 1440p, gsync? Any recommendations? I'm willing to drop Gsync since gaming is about 5% of the use.

Acer XB271HU or Asus PG279Q if you want G-sync. Without, I dunno - I don't think there are any high refresh rate ones without G-sync, and for standard 60Hz, just find a suitable Dell one I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

• XB271HU/PG279Q/AG271QG - $700 new, $525 refurb (GSync)
  • XF270HU - $400 new, $350 refurb (FreeSync)
  • various Acer/Dell IPS panels - $250-300 new (60 Hz)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

Since he didn't explicitly mention a desire for IPS, the 27" Dell TN should be included in the list, too. Too bad I don't think there's a sale on it right now.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Seamonster posted:

Make sure your xbox game bar thing is turned off in Windows.?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still on Windows 8.1, so don't think the xbox gamebar is a feature (yeah, I'm a little slow to upgrade).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since he didn't explicitly mention a desire for IPS, the 27" Dell TN should be included in the list, too. Too bad I don't think there's a sale on it right now.

IPS good, TN bad? Best buy has the S2716DGR for 430

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FunOne posted:

IPS good, TN bad? Best buy has the S2716DGR for 430

The Dell TN display is probably one of, if not the, best TN panels you can buy. IPS is worth it, but if money's really tight, the Dell monitor is a good compromise.

Here's a video that compares the 2716 with an IPS and another high-end TN panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b57S0cxZpjo

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 17:05

eames
May 9, 2009

Dell TNs are really good value for gaming but I personally would not recommend them to somebody who states "gaming is about 5% of the use."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Dell TNs are really good value for gaming but I personally would not recommend them to somebody who states "gaming is about 5% of the use."

Vast majority of my time unfortunately is Excel and web.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Opinions on the Dell U2717D for general use? I've got a 27" Samsung 1080p TN display as my primary now and would like more pixels. Inexpensive options with higher resolution and/or larger size exist, but they all seem to give up a lot (e.g., that $400 32" AOC MVA UHD display Tom's Hardware seems to like). I'm prioritizing panel quality over size or UHD, although 27" is as small as I'd like to go. Use case is mostly programming, web/office use, and occasional Netflix. Ideally I'd like to get two or three to replace my current FHD mismatched multi-monitor set-up.

Also, would the Dell stand up to casual gaming assuming I resign myself to buying a decent GPU now that prices aren't completely insane? I know it's 60Hz and the refresh rate isn't great, but I just want to be able to play whatever FPS is popular on Steam right now at a decent resolution/setting without having a miserable experience due to poor display choice. This is a lot less important than my other needs, but it would be nice.

edit: Alternately, Best Buy has a S2716DGR (27", 1440p, TN, gsync) mentioned above on display locally. I should go see how the TN panel looks. It might be just fine. No DP-out for daisy-chaining is annoying though. vv

double edit: I mostly just want to know how bad gaming on a 60Hz display would be. Unplayable, or just not as smooth? I'm not going to be a pro gamer, just want to run around and shoot things.

Loucks fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 20:49

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Gaming on 60hz is absolutely fine. It has been for decades. Higher refresh rates are absolutely nice but you aren't going to have a problem enjoying games at "just" 60 fps. Most console games have been running at 30fps for the past gen or two at least.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Stan Taylor posted:

Gaming on 60hz is absolutely fine. It has been for decades. Higher refresh rates are absolutely nice but you aren't going to have a problem enjoying games at "just" 60 fps. Most console games have been running at 30fps for the past gen or two at least.

Sure, but consoles are for children who don't know any better

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Stan Taylor posted:

Besides, you need a pretty solid system to maintain 144hz with modern games even on FHD, which it doesn't sound like he has. Otherwise your frame rate is going to drop by like half during action or you'll have to turn down all the settings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

College Slice

PCPer tore down the Asus PG27UQ and the G-Sync HDR module has an even bigger Intel FPGA than they were using before, plus the memory was increased from 768MB DDR3 to 3GB DDR4

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ves-Desktop/Tea

That FPGA alone costs $2600 in small quantities - Nvidia is obviously getting a better deal than that but it's still going to be a huge chunk of the monitors BOM.

repiv fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 00:08

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I wonder which module is in the X34s and 3418DWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004
"Larger than your hat, but quite a bit smaller than the moon" -DNA

repiv posted:

PCPer tore down the Asus PG27UQ and the G-Sync HDR module has an even bigger Intel FPGA than they were using before, plus the memory was increased from 768MB DDR3 to 3GB DDR4

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ves-Desktop/Tea

That FPGA alone costs $2600 in small quantities - Nvidia is obviously getting a better deal than that but it's still going to be a huge chunk of the monitors BOM.

Is there some reason G-Sync uses FPGAs instead of ASICs? Is it just to get them out the door faster, or do they not think they have the consumer base to develop ASICs?

«639 »