Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tehinternet posted:

Alright yeah, that’s real dumb. I get the frustration. At work we have the same issues with garbage rear end Lenovo monitors. Amazing price on them for IPS displays, but Jesus Christ do they have dumbass issues like the one you’ve mentioned above.

unfortunately the "deep sleep" and "shuffling my icon" bugs are basically endemic across a lot of the earlier displayport monitors - virtually none of them got this right except Acer

I dunno if they are all using some off-the-shelf controller board and the firmware had this problem on all of them or what, but almost all of them had the exact same issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, so I've been casually looking for a while and not found this so i don't have high hopes, but: are there any 24 inch-ish 150 bucks-ish normal-rear end monitors that have multiple hdmi ports or am i just going to have to suck it up and use a splitter

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

unfortunately the "deep sleep" and "shuffling my icon" bugs are basically endemic across a lot of the earlier displayport monitors - virtually none of them got this right except Acer

I dunno if they are all using some off-the-shelf controller board and the firmware had this problem on all of them or what, but almost all of them had the exact same issues

Yeah, it's strange, because my old rear end Dell 2412 correctly handles displayport standby, the much more expensive and newer 3014 does not, and the same vintage Acer XB270hu is also fine. The 3014 ended up being a disappointment to me in a lot of ways, but the displayport standby thing not working is by far the most actively annoying.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The sleep bug and disconnect behavior are smudges on excellent hardware, as much as I love dell I'm not heartbroken to have ended up with an Acer X34p instead of an AW3418DW.
The AW3418DW does not do that.

Source: Sitting in front of one right now, just turned it off and back on. The USB hub disconnects but the monitor itself remains "connected".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
When I first got my 3418DW I had the issue where turning it off and turning it back on put all the windows in the top left hand corner.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When I first got my 3418DW I had the issue where turning it off and turning it back on put all the windows in the top left hand corner.

Wonder if it’s a different firmware revision? I updated the firmware on my AW3418DW soon as I got it and I’ve never run into that problem.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My problem just "fixed itself" or it's been so long since I did anything that I don't remember. I think I have Rev A00, so I really should look into that firmware. Do you remember where you got it? Because I remember looking at downloads for the monitor and only finding the INF driver pack and "AlienFX" control panel.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Basically this. My U2713HM's and P4317Q are fine for sleep/deep sleep, but the older 27"s will disconnect fully from DP when turned off, which is really annoying.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amppelix posted:

Ok, so I've been casually looking for a while and not found this so i don't have high hopes, but: are there any 24 inch-ish 150 bucks-ish normal-rear end monitors that have multiple hdmi ports or am i just going to have to suck it up and use a splitter

You will probably not find one, but DVI is pin compatible with HDMI (minus sound), so almost any monitor with one HDMI and one DVI port will work for this with a DVI to HDMI cable.

For example, if you buy this ASUS 24" https://smile.amazon.com/VA24EHE/dp/B07Z8TC28F/ and then this DVI to HDMI cable https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Cable-adaptador-patas-Negro/dp/B014I8UQJY/ you should be set.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thanks, but i do want the sound if I'm just going to be replacing my monitor without changing the rest of the setup. Splitter it is then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Amppelix posted:

Thanks, but i do want the sound if I'm just going to be replacing my monitor without changing the rest of the setup. Splitter it is then.

Okay, just bear in mind that the monitor either has to have speakers in it or some kind of HDMI to audio output splitter for that to matter, so make sure you're shopping for that.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I've been glancing at potential monitor upgrades from my Dell U2412m - It's been amazing value but it's time to upgrade from 1080p60.

A deal that popped up today in Sweden was the HP Omen 27i for 4990 SEK - That puts it at the same price point as the thread recommended LG 27GL83A (4988 SEK) and below the 27GL850 (5683 SEK).
Does anyone have any experience with the Omen? Is it worth getting instead of the 27GL83A if they're the same price?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Lamquin posted:

I've been glancing at potential monitor upgrades from my Dell U2412m - It's been amazing value but it's time to upgrade from 1080p60.

A deal that popped up today in Sweden was the HP Omen 27i for 4990 SEK - That puts it at the same price point as the thread recommended LG 27GL83A (4988 SEK) and below the 27GL850 (5683 SEK).
Does anyone have any experience with the Omen? Is it worth getting instead of the 27GL83A if they're the same price?

I also got a deal on one of these and I'm very happy with it, probably not at the normal price point but with $100 knocked off it feels like a solid buy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lamquin posted:

I'm something like 95% sure the Omen 27i uses the same panel as the LGs.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah it has more or less the same specs as the 27GL850. The only major question would be if HP has done proper overdrive tuning. IIRC historically the Omen series monitors have been pretty decent in that regard so it seems like a perfectly reasonable buy for the price. Well, as reasonable as european prices get. $568 for a 27GL83A, what the gently caress.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Okay, just bear in mind that the monitor either has to have speakers in it or some kind of HDMI to audio output splitter for that to matter, so make sure you're shopping for that.
yeah i just realised myself i'll have to keep that in mind.

incidentally here's my current monitor: https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/239c4qhsb_00/239c4qhsb_00_pss_aenbe.pdf

it really does seem to have a set of features that's rare nowadays. 2x hdmi and audio out. and the funny thing is i wasn't even looking for anything in particular when i bought it (a pretty long time ago), it was just a random monitor off the shelf that appeared decent and had a good price.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Well, as reasonable as european prices get. $568 for a 27GL83A, what the gently caress.

that monitor regularly goes for ~$500 in the UK and our prices include tax, if we listed pre-tax prices like you it would be $414

it is more expensive here but most of it is tax we pay on nearly everything rather than monitors in particular being expensive

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Getting ready to deep search this thread to choose a monitor that I can use for Switch and (retro) Games. I'll update when I find something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems like there are so many little things you have pay attention to nowadays when buying a monitor. I'd be terrified of picking one out without a solid recommendation from someone that knows what they're talking about. Any good general buying guides (OP's a bit old)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Case in point: there's a lot of specs and flowery language thrown around, but is the panel type mentioned anywhere on this page? (it's possible I'm blind)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V39QHMY

This is the monitor, just in case

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Case in point: there's a lot of specs and flowery language thrown around, but is the panel type mentioned anywhere on this page? (it's possible I'm blind)

Yes, but only way down here:

If the curve doesn't bother you it seems like a decent gaming monitor for the price

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Rinkles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V39QHMY

This is the monitor, just in case

The checklist for me is (listed in order of importance and from lowest quality/price to highest quality/price):

Resolution and the dumbass terminology/lettering/terms used for them:

1080p (1920x1080, Full HD, FHD)
1440p (2560x1440, QHD),
4K (3840x2160, UHD Ultra HD) — note that ultrawide variants have different horizontal resolutions 2560x1080, 3440x1440 and I think a 4K ultrawide exists too, but that’s on the high high end.

4K is the most irritating of all of the resolutions because 4K ACKSHUALLY refers to another resolution that’s used in filmmaking IIRC — it’s also the hot poo poo term that your grandpa knows and wants so expect to see it plastered all over.

Refresh rate:

60hz, 75hz, 120hz, 144hz, 165hz, 240hz (240hz only just began to exist at 1440p, I haven’t seen it in an IPS panel yet)

Panel type:

TN (not great), VA (not great for motion/fast gaming) or IPS (best)

Response time:

So long as it’s single digits (<10ms) you’re not going to notice a difference unless you’re a pro CS gamer. Even then, probably not.

The most important thing to remember is that if you don’t see it advertised or listed, assume that it’s the lowest quality. Ex: if you don’t see a panel type, assume TN. If you don’t see a resolution, assume 1080p. If you don’t see a refresh rate, assume 60hz and so on.

Seriously. Manufacturers pull this poo poo on $100 monitors and $2,500 monitors. It’s a thing.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Amppelix posted:

You can always use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

tehinternet posted:

You can always use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

But make sure it's an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think I had some initial issues that were similar but haven't had anything like that happen for over a year now since owning it. One thing I have been noticing are two weird issues that make me think I should send it back while it's still in the warranty window - One is that occasionally a browser window will flicker while watching something, in a similar fashion to how separately the lower third of the screen will flicker occasionally. I notice it the most when playing Stardew Valley but I'm sure there's been other times it's occurred as well. The first one of these I received I had to send back to Dell due to the left half of the panel flickering pretty constantly as soon as I turned up the refresh rate. Should have been a more painless process but they did give me a $50 credit for the hassle.

And to be clear I do love this monitor, looks great and has lots of connections for my random bullshit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Amppelix posted:

Most of the time they're wired identically anyways, either signal can run over either port. Every time I've connected a HDMI-capable monitor up to a HDMI-capable PC over single link DVI the audio part has still worked fine. Dual link DVI it didn't work, but that wouldn't be relevant to using an adapter cable.

Saukkis posted:

But make sure it's an active HDMI to DisplayPort adapter.
Fortunately passive adapters only work one way in this case, there is no such thing as a passive HDMI to Displayport adapter. A passive Displayport to HDMI adapter only works because the port actually transmits a HDMI-compatible signal (at the slightly lower voltage used by Displayport, the adapter then contains voltage conversion hardware).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

I think I had some initial issues that were similar but haven't had anything like that happen for over a year now since owning it. One thing I have been noticing are two weird issues that make me think I should send it back while it's still in the warranty window - One is that occasionally a browser window will flicker while watching something, in a similar fashion to how separately the lower third of the screen will flicker occasionally. I notice it the most when playing Stardew Valley but I'm sure there's been other times it's occurred as well. The first one of these I received I had to send back to Dell due to the left half of the panel flickering pretty constantly as soon as I turned up the refresh rate. Should have been a more painless process but they did give me a $50 credit for the hassle.

And to be clear I do love this monitor, looks great and has lots of connections for my random bullshit.

Yeah, I've contacted them TWICE now about extending my warranty (which ends in March 2021), and I've yet to get a reply from them. The only option I get on the website is +1 year for an additional ~$50.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 3, 2020

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Hey guys, could I get an opinion on this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GVTD9N/

I need something with USB-C that I can use with my MacBook Pro, but that I can share with a gaming PC (which I don't currently have but plan to get in the next few months.)

vvv Yeah, if I already owned the monitor and just wanted to make things work that would be reasonable, but since I'm buying it now I'd rather not have to deal with adapters. I dunno, I could go either way I guess, and adapter isn't that horrible.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 4, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t have an opinion on the monitor, but have had good success driving my monitor from my MBP via a cheap little USB-C breakout hub that speaks HDMI. If that seems workable for you, you would have a wider assortment of monitors available to you than just those with native USB-C connectivity.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

In addition to a wider range of monitor choices, the external hub also may have more connectivity than the monitor does - if you want to hardware Ethernet for example, monitor may or may not have it. Or audio routing separate from the monitor, etc etc.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Family Values posted:

Hey guys, could I get an opinion on this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GVTD9N/

I need something with USB-C that I can use with my MacBook Pro, but that I can share with a gaming PC (which I don't currently have but plan to get in the next few months.)

Should be very good for your mac, it's one of the better reasonably priced options with USB-C support. For gaming, it's just a 4k 60 monitor which is very meh, but it's ok. Still not a bad buy for PC because you'll probably wind up wanting 2 monitors and it will make an excellent second monitor when you reach that point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looking for a best bang-for-buck 1080p for gaming (and digital art) for a friend, so far it seems like the best option is the AOC 24G2U for under £200. Just want to check if there’s anything else in that price bracket or lower worth looking at?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm intending to do a major upgrade computer upgrade later this year, which means I'm not sure if I'll be using an nVidia or Radeon GPU. I was looking to buy a monitor right now. Is that a dumb idea if I don't know if I'll be using G-Sync or Freesync? Or does that not matter at all

also: i was gonna buy this dual monitor mount. is that a good idea or a dumb idea. https://www.autonomous.ai/office-accessories/monitor-arm?option4=12&option9=18

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 5, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ijyt posted:

Looking for a best bang-for-buck 1080p for gaming (and digital art) for a friend, so far it seems like the best option is the AOC 24G2U for under £200. Just want to check if there’s anything else in that price bracket or lower worth looking at?

Acer, Asus, and Pixio also make 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors that are all more or less interchangeable. I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but on a tight budget they are reasonable buys.

Jinnigan posted:

I'm intending to do a major upgrade computer upgrade later this year, which means I'm not sure if I'll be using an nVidia or Radeon GPU. I was looking to buy a monitor right now. Is that a dumb idea if I don't know if I'll be using G-Sync or Freesync? Or does that not matter at all

also: i was gonna buy this dual monitor mount. is that a good idea or a dumb idea. https://www.autonomous.ai/office-accessories/monitor-arm?option4=12&option9=18

Nvidia supports Freesync on modern GPUs. The newest g-sync module supports Freesync. It's not an issue on any of the monitors that you should be considering.

Why do you want to buy a monitor right now? What are you intending to use it for? What kind of money are you looking to spend on your monitor, and on your GPU upgrade? We can try to make you recommendations based on that.

People tend to like at least certain models of Amazonbasics and Monoprice dual monitor stands. I probably wouldn't go for a monitor like that that no one's ever heard of.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Acer, Asus, and Pixio also make 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors that are all more or less interchangeable. I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but on a tight budget they are reasonable buys.

What are their problems?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia supports Freesync on modern GPUs. The newest g-sync module supports Freesync. It's not an issue on any of the monitors that you should be considering.

Why do you want to buy a monitor right now? What are you intending to use it for? What kind of money are you looking to spend on your monitor, and on your GPU upgrade? We can try to make you recommendations based on that.

Sweet, thanks.

I got a new job where I'm working from home, but I have to use the company laptop. I want to get an extra monitor for it, and I figured I can just move one of my current gaming monitors over and 'pre-upgrade' the gaming monitor for my planned PC upgrade (whenever the new GPUs drop this year).

For my GPU upgrade I'd be looking at ~$4-500 for an upgrade. Probably whatever the "RTX 3070" ends up being, or the Radeon equivalent.

For the monitor, I'd go for either 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p. Either one is equally fine with me.
120+ hz refresh is a must, since I do like a lot of PvP shooters, but I'm unlikely to go much higher than that.
I do use the monitor to watch movies with friends sometimes, but I don't do any kind of video or image editing, so 'good' colors are enough, but viewing angles are important.
HDR is not something I super care about, but if I can fit it in the budget, that'd be great too.
My preferred budget is ~$400 range, but I can stretch up to $500 for monumentally good deals.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Am i an idiot and overspending if I'm considering an odyssey G7 27 inch with a new build once these new Nvidia cards are released.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

What are their problems?

I wouldn't say problems, they're just not high-end products and I don't particularly care for the value they represent. They're budget monitors so they don't typically have great backlight consistency, they may not have superb response times (although they're certainly fine), and more importantly 1080p is a dying resolution. Still, with EU prices and if you can actually get one for < £200, the value proposition may be relatively good for you.

Jinnigan posted:

I got a new job where I'm working from home, but I have to use the company laptop. I want to get an extra monitor for it, and I figured I can just move one of my current gaming monitors over and 'pre-upgrade' the gaming monitor for my planned PC upgrade (whenever the new GPUs drop this year).

For my GPU upgrade I'd be looking at ~$4-500 for an upgrade. Probably whatever the "RTX 3070" ends up being, or the Radeon equivalent.

For the monitor, I'd go for either 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p. Either one is equally fine with me.
120+ hz refresh is a must, since I do like a lot of PvP shooters, but I'm unlikely to go much higher than that.
I do use the monitor to watch movies with friends sometimes, but I don't do any kind of video or image editing, so 'good' colors are enough, but viewing angles are important.
HDR is not something I super care about, but if I can fit it in the budget, that'd be great too.
My preferred budget is ~$400 range, but I can stretch up to $500 for monumentally good deals.

Sounds like your goals are realistic. It doesn't have great contrast, but otherwise the LG 27GL83A is otherwise the current value/performance king at 27" 1440p 144hz IPS. Great performance, good color. Not real HDR, don't try to use it.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered the g7 32 for $650 off amazon.
That’s $150 below the normal price and is the price of the 27 inch, so I wonder if it was a mistake.

We’ll see if I get it and if it’s still got flickering issues. Rtings reviewed it, and it came back mostly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.notebookcheck.net/ASUS-announces-the-world-s-first-HDMI-2-1-4K-gaming-monitors.484211.0.html

Hmm... Ampere/Big Navi are confirmed to have this magical 2.1 spec, yes?