Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

milkman dad posted:

If you prepurchased darktide you should be able to play it now in beta! (it's good)
Indeed, except I just bought a AW3423DWF (34" Alienware oled freesync) and I may have to learn to tolerate 60 fps again with how it currently runs at 1440 on my 27"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Just saw this 50% off at Amazon.

Samsung 49" Neo G9

Reviews that I've found seem pretty positive, although there is occasional issues with Samsung's QC process.

Seemed like something folks in the thread might be interested in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Still looking at monitors for my girfriend's oldest, is 34" too big for a 1440p curved monitor for an xbox series s?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
34" is almost certainly going to be ultrawide, and consoles only output at 16:9.

You should slap him upside the head until he accepts that curves are stupid.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 21, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mcbexx posted:

Anyone familiar with this?

This is covering 1-3 inches at the bottom of my screen and seems to be related to ambient temperature. Never happened during the summer (or before), but this week, temperature in the room dropped to 17°C/62°F overnight and when I turn the monitor on, these lines appear. Once the monitor is on for a couple of minutes and heats up, they completely disappear until the next time I turn the monitor on in <20°C ambient temp. If I draw a window down there, the image is retained in the affected area.
There is no red in my desktop wallpaper, that's also some artifacting from whatever is happening.
The computer has been running overnight, so I don't think it's the GPU.

I can live with that for now, but is this the harbinger of a complete failure?

Monitor is an ~6 year old Asus PG348Q.

https://i.imgur.com/uyEmOEb.mp4

It could be a ribbon cable internal to the monitor getting loose, it could be the power supply, it could be the cable. It could be almost anything, really. I'd probably see if a new cable or power supply would fix it and if not either plan for a replacement or see if there's an electronics shop that would work on it nearby.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The Gigabyte M27Q-Pro 27 is available again at Newegg and it's on sale for $250. I've been watching this monitor sit sold-out at newegg and amazon for most of the past week, so I jumped on it and ordered one when it came back in.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

K8.0 posted:

curved tvs are dumb, curved monitors are fine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so now that I've ordered that Neo G7, I'm probably going to want to upgrade my side monitor to have a similar size, curve, and resolution to not drive myself crazy at the bad symmetry.

For a side monitor I'd be fine with a basic 60 Hz 4k LCD monitor with a similar curve (R1000 or less is probably fine too) as long as it's decently good for productivity -- crisp text, good color performance. A usb C input would also be nice to have, but not a dealbreaker if it's missing. No need for HDR or >60 Hz.

What are good options for a basic 32" 4k monitor like that? Should i just pick up a dell or something like that targeted at office workers?

also is it only gonna be VA monitors that are curved, or are there curved IPS panels too? I think i'd prefer IPS to VA for a regular work monitor, but I guess VA is ok and better than having the horrifying setup of one flat monitor and one curved monitor side by side.
:barf:

I guess I could just order a 2nd G7 while they're still heavily discounted, although that seems like overkill for something I won't be gaming on.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
well, 3 weeks of using a 48" 4k and I am already thinking to myself "sure, as soon as 8k 65 inch is a thing, we'll do that"

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

milkman dad posted:

If you prepurchased darktide you should be able to play it now in beta! (it's good)

I didn’t pre purchase because I knew I’d be out of town for that window! I played the beta and had fun and will be back at launch.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

They're definitely not my thing but the kids seem to love them. This is the specific one he mentioned to his mom. He's 16 and doesn't need anything super fancy but I would like to go with a brand I've heard of.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

fknlo posted:

They're definitely not my thing but the kids seem to love them. This is the specific one he mentioned to his mom. He's 16 and doesn't need anything super fancy but I would like to go with a brand I've heard of.

VA panel, but not one of the expensive Samsung ones = dark level smearing. Would not recommend for gaming.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, the specific reason that curves are stupid is that curves on 16:9 monitors are almost entirely about compensating for a deficiency of VA panels, and aside from a handful of specific very expensive Samsung Odyssey models, VA performance for gaming is rear end. He wants a monitor that doesn't exist, and the most sensible thing to sacrifice is the curve. Depending on how much you want to spend, there is a decent to excellent performing 27-32" 1080p-1440p high refresh monitor for your budget, but it's going to be flat because IPS doesn't need to be curved.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

curved ultrawides are cool

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

34" is almost certainly going to be ultrawide, and consoles only output at 16:9.

Curves are great for ultrawides. A flat 34” is stupid and actually bad

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mcbexx posted:

Anyone familiar with this?

This is covering 1-3 inches at the bottom of my screen and seems to be related to ambient temperature. Never happened during the summer (or before), but this week, temperature in the room dropped to 17°C/62°F overnight and when I turn the monitor on, these lines appear. Once the monitor is on for a couple of minutes and heats up, they completely disappear until the next time I turn the monitor on in <20°C ambient temp. If I draw a window down there, the image is retained in the affected area.
There is no red in my desktop wallpaper, that's also some artifacting from whatever is happening.
The computer has been running overnight, so I don't think it's the GPU.

I can live with that for now, but is this the harbinger of a complete failure?

Monitor is an ~6 year old Asus PG348Q.

https://i.imgur.com/uyEmOEb.mp4

Yeah that looks like early stages of total failure. Could be anything from a bad ribbon cable somewhere to just the SOC itself dying.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
My secondary display crapped out (to be fair it was a HEAVILY used ASUS VS247H that I got a solid decade or so out of :911:) and I wanted to take this time to demote my primary display (a Dell S2716DG) to secondary, and get an actual gsync 4K monitor. I upgraded this year to a 3080TI.

How dumb would I be to pull the trigger on the Acer Predator XB323QK ? I kind of want to keep going with dual monitors instead of a single ultrawide and this seems to fit the bill. I didn't see any particular red flags searching reviews or this thread on Acer or Predator but I just wanted to be on the safe side.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I thought curves were dumb. Then I went and spent a bunch of time staring at monitors in stores. I think I'm converted to the fact that a 30+ inch monitor at a reasonable seating distance feels off if it's flat because the viewing distance feels all weird at the edges and it's not pointing at you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Odyssey Neo G7 is cheaper and better. It is curved which is not great, but it almost certainly has better response times, and has a higher refresh rate, real HDR, and is a known quantity which is important.

If you don't want the Neo G7, wait for a sale on the Gigabyte M32U, which has been $600 before and might dip down to the $550 region at some point this holiday season.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

K8.0 posted:

The Odyssey Neo G7 is cheaper and better. It is curved which is not great, but it almost certainly has better response times, and has a higher refresh rate, real HDR, and is a known quantity which is important.

If you don't want the Neo G7, wait for a sale on the Gigabyte M32U, which has been $600 before and might dip down to the $550 region at some point this holiday season.

It looks like the Neo G7 doesn't support G-Sync though, at least in the Amazon listing. The G9 looks like it does but that's a bonkers ultrawide. Is G-sync support not as much of a concern anymore?

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 23, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it says "NVIDIA G-SYNC COMPATIBLE: Nvidia G-Sync compatibility keeps the GPU and panel synced up to eliminate choppiness, screen lag, and image tears; Fast-action game scenes are stable and stutter-free with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro for your competitive edge" in the listing for the G7

pretty much any vaguely recent high refresh rate monitor can do both G-Sync and FreeSync. some will have separate G-Sync modules but those only have some extremely niche benefit over just 'G-Sync Compatible' monitors iirc and aren't something you should worry about

amazon is just doing something stupid with the listing (as it often does) and putting "FreeSync" and "G-Sync and FreeSync" as 'style' options that correspond to the G7 and G9 even though both can do both

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can personally confirm that the Neo G7 is compatible with G-Sync.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Ok thanks everyone, thinking of pulling the trigger on the G7! Before I do is there anything on the G8 that makes it worth $200 more? I can't imagine the 240hz is much more than a marketing gimmick.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Curves are great for ultrawides. A flat 34” is stupid and actually bad

1000R is absolutely stupid but 1800R for a 34" ultra wide is very nice honestly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sardonik posted:

Ok thanks everyone, thinking of pulling the trigger on the G7! Before I do is there anything on the G8 that makes it worth $200 more? I can't imagine the 240hz is much more than a marketing gimmick.

Exceeding 165 Hz will be very difficult on a 3080 Ti, so I wouldn't even consider the G8 in your case.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Exceeding 165 Hz will be very difficult on a 3080 Ti, so I wouldn't even consider the G8 in your case.

simply use DLSS to render at 1080 and upscale to 4k at 200 Hz :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fknlo posted:

But that brand sounds super extra legit!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In all fairness, I've been buying weird cheap portable monitors lately, so I'm not exactly blameless. I have this thing hooked up as a second monitor right now: https://www.newegg.com/p/3D4-0054-00003?Item=9SIB38GH8N5525

CORPRIT

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i've looked at several of those style of monitors but they all appear to be the same thing with a ridiculous name on the front. i'm about to shell out for one of these

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

butt dickus posted:

i've looked at several of those style of monitors but they all appear to be the same thing with a ridiculous name on the front. i'm about to shell out for one of these

I'm sure that's perfectly fine, and at some point I'll probably go with something from LG or Viewsonic or some more reputable brand, but right now I'm content with the $100 no-name things I've picked up. I tend to do this kind of "proof of concept" purchasing where I'll start off cheap just to see if I feel like it is a viable thing for me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My 38" UW has a 2300R curve and it's perfectly fine, really.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the greater the curve, the better the value, because you will need fewer of them to build a 360 degree monitor ring around yourself

flat monitors are infinitely bad value

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I want three of these but $1000 US for burn-in waiting to happen is foolish: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/lg-continues-diversifying-oled-monitor-options-lists-27-incher-for-1000/

My ideal monitor is probably this in 27” without the camera: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/dell-ultrasharp-monitor-review-4k-webcam-is-cool-better-contrast-is-cooler/

e: 60Hz lol nevermind

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 24, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I probably did something dumb tonight. I ordered a 2nd Neo G7 using that hefty discount posted a page or so back that brought the price to $644 (before tax).

I know it's completely overkill to use an HDR gaming monitor as a secondary that most of the time is just going to have teams/discord, code editors, and excel instead of games or movies, but I just couldn't find any decent options for curved 32" 4k monitors that were significantly cheaper even with the BF deals so far. I found a few dubious looking dell and LG panels around $300 with pretty terrible specs, but the only decent mid-range 60Hz non-HDR options were pushing into $500 territory, at which point I figured I might as well stretch to another Neo G7 and get a much nicer display.

Assuming they both arrive in good shape, I'll report back in a week or two with photos of them side by side in all their, probably ridiculous, 1000R 32" glory.

I'm pretty excited to be upgrading from dual 27" 1440p to dual 32" 4k monitors. I work from home and spend a lot of time remote desktoped into 2-3 lab PCs to control a bunch of test equipment along side all my usual development and email/teams stuff, and I'm constantly playing overlapping window tetris.

I just wish I could make work buy these. My IT department's standard deployment is still a single 1080p monitor. I asked if they could upgrade me since I have to juggle so many things simultaneously, and they gave me two ancient 1680x1050 TN monitors :lol: - I just use my own monitors instead.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 23, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

I probably did something dumb tonight. I ordered a 2nd Neo G7 using that hefty discount posted a page or so back that brought the price to $644 (before tax).

I know it's completely overkill to use an HDR gaming monitor as a secondary that most of the time is just going to have teams/discord, code editors, and excel instead of games or movies, but I just couldn't find any decent options for curved 32" 4k monitors that were significantly cheaper even with the BF deals so far. I found a few dubious looking dell and LG panels around $300 with pretty terrible specs, but the only decent mid-range 60Hz non-HDR options were pushing into $500 territory, at which point I figured I might as well stretch to another Neo G7 and get a much nicer display.

Assuming they both arrive in good shape, I'll report back in a week or two with photos of them side by side in all their, probably ridiculous, 1000R 32" glory.

I'm pretty excited to be upgrading from dual 27" 1440p to dual 32" 4k monitors. I work from home and spend a lot of time remote desktoped into 2-3 lab PCs to control a bunch of test equipment along side all my usual development and email/teams stuff, and I'm constantly playing overlapping window tetris.

I just wish I could make work buy these. My IT department's standard deployment is still a single 1080p monitor. I asked if they could upgrade me since I have to juggle so many things simultaneously, and they gave me two ancient 1680x1050 TN monitors :lol: - I just use my own monitors instead.

Some people honestly don't seem to care about monitor size/resolution/quality, which I just have a hard time relating to. I find myself reducing the zoom on 1080p monitors to try to replicate some of the screen real estate of my 27" 1440p monitors, and am finding myself liking my new 32" 1440p monitor. 1080p is for laptops or my weird little CORPRIT or whatever secondary monitors, not for something that is my main display.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I find myself reducing the zoom on 1080p monitors to try to replicate some of the screen real estate of my 27" 1440p monitors

Do you mean just reducing the zoom in individual applications, or is there a way to do this in windows and tell it to scale a virtual 1440 resolution down to a 1080 display? Because if there's a good way to do the latter, I'm definitely interested. I have a 17" laptop from work with a 1080 display that I'd love to get more real estate on even if the quality gets crappier. 1080 is just not enough to do work anymore.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

Do you mean just reducing the zoom in individual applications, or is there a way to do this in windows and tell it to scale a virtual 1440 resolution down to a 1080 display? Because if there's a good way to do the latter, I'm definitely interested. I have a 17" laptop from work with a 1080 display that I'd love to get more real estate on even if the quality gets crappier. 1080 is just not enough to do work anymore.

I can in KDE on Linux, and I want to say that sometimes Windows gives the option, but most of the time I'm adjusting zoom on a per application basis. Most of my actual work is done in browsers, so it's easy enough to adjust zoom on the fly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jumped on a refurb AW3423DW with the 15% off to get it for $755+tax. Fingers crossed on the refurb lottery, though historically I feel like I've done alright.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm sure that's perfectly fine, and at some point I'll probably go with something from LG or Viewsonic or some more reputable brand, but right now I'm content with the $100 no-name things I've picked up. I tend to do this kind of "proof of concept" purchasing where I'll start off cheap just to see if I feel like it is a viable thing for me.
i just found this one. 3840x2400 for $190 and no stupid name on the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

Jumped on a refurb AW3423DW with the 15% off to get it for $755+tax. Fingers crossed on the refurb lottery, though historically I feel like I've done alright.

Where from? That's an amazing price