Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

Where from? That's an amazing price

Dell was selling them on their outlet store. There aren't any available anymore though: https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...VHGclHWVK0Kk%3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

change my name posted:

Where from? That's an amazing price

Followed this last night, direct from Dell
https://slickdeals.net/f/16222723-34-alienware-aw3423dw-qd-oled-3440x1440-175hz-curved-gaming-monitor-refurb-756-free-shipping

Looks like there aren't anymore available

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Bad Purchase posted:

Do you mean just reducing the zoom in individual applications, or is there a way to do this in windows and tell it to scale a virtual 1440 resolution down to a 1080 display? Because if there's a good way to do the latter, I'm definitely interested. I have a 17" laptop from work with a 1080 display that I'd love to get more real estate on even if the quality gets crappier. 1080 is just not enough to do work anymore.

I really don't know why it's only available sometimes but I swear you can set the scale below 100% under the right circumstances. I've seen it!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

butt dickus posted:

i just found this one. 3840x2400 for $190 and no stupid name on the front

I haven't had my weird monitors long enough to have much of a feel for if they're really worth it. I remembered my other one (not with me right now) is a ZEUSLAP, although it mercifully doesn't show the name on the front of the monitor. I also didn't pay close to what Amazon is selling it for: https://www.amazon.com/Touch-Screen...nt-items&sr=1-1

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nice, Dell said it shipped the AW3423DW! I was worried as the website made it clear that orders would need to be confirmed. Looks like my Acer Predator XB271HU is going to become my wife's new work monitor, which is a weird use but I don't think I have the deskspace anywhere else.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There are more again for $1,021.99, with the $15% off coupon that's $868

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I've got the new F model of the Dell OLED and the HDR calibration has it clipping at 500 nits.
According to others the Gsync version doesn't clip in the HDR calibration until close to 1000 nits.
This is in HDR 1000 mode.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm only seeing the AW3821DW which is a 38" IPS monitor, not the AW3423DW which is the 34" QD-OLED

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
Hoping for a recommendation or two here. The last time I thought about computer monitors was when I bought a 24" 1080p60Hz monitor in 2015. I am building this computer and would like to get a 1440p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate or higher. I'll use it for various office work along with a couple other monitors, but the main thing I'm looking for it to do is gaming. I'm hoping to keep the price around $300 or lower - is this feasible? What should I be looking at? I saw this Black Friday deal -- what do you think?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's an OK but not great deal. If it were under $300 I'd be more impressed.

Most people go for 27" at 1440p, which gives a higher PPI than 24" 1080p. 32" 1440p is the same PPI as 24" 1080p. You should be able to get a very good 27" 1440p 144hz+ monitor for $250.

The Gigabyte M27Q-Pro for $250 is BIN even from Newegg, but it's OOS right now. Buying monitors from Amazon is more preferable because of their superior return policies, but at that price I would definitely just buy if it comes back in stock. There will be other similar deals tomorrow and at various points through early January.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I've got the new F model of the Dell OLED and the HDR calibration has it clipping at 500 nits.
According to others the Gsync version doesn't clip in the HDR calibration until close to 1000 nits.
This is in HDR 1000 mode.

What happens when you use source tone mapping and try to calibrate it using the Windows 11 HDR calibration app? (edit: this needs to be downloaded from the microsoft store and requires windows 11 22H2 I believe)

My understanding is that the DWF hard clips at the top of its curve and doesn't roll off, but I thought It was supposed to go higher than 500 nits. Letting the source do the tone mapping for you could give better results.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 24, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

https://www.lg.com/us/promotions/new-oled-gaming-monitors

So pre-orders for the 240Hz/1440p OLED start in 3 weeks and deliveries start in 5 weeks. And I was expecting the usual 6-9 month delay between official launch and retail availability.

Order early in the hope of avoiding the inevitable shortages or wait for reviews? (In other words, impulse buy because IPS panels look like poo poo or do the sensible thing? I’ll probably go for option A.)

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.

K8.0 posted:

That's an OK but not great deal. If it were under $300 I'd be more impressed.

Most people go for 27" at 1440p, which gives a higher PPI than 24" 1080p. 32" 1440p is the same PPI as 24" 1080p. You should be able to get a very good 27" 1440p 144hz+ monitor for $250.

The Gigabyte M27Q-Pro for $250 is BIN even from Newegg, but it's OOS right now. Buying monitors from Amazon is more preferable because of their superior return policies, but at that price I would definitely just buy if it comes back in stock. There will be other similar deals tomorrow and at various points through early January.

Thanks a lot - Are there any other monitors you'd recommend in this price range, or is the best move to keep an eye out for restocks on that particular model?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I'd like to get a relatively cheap ultrawide which I would use in my office just for work, so no gaming.

Right now I have a monitor with a 30 hz refresh rate, and it's just a bit too laggy for me to use without noticing cursor lag. So ideally fast enough response time that it isn't a bother, but doesn't need to be crazy.

What would some good ones to look for be? I figured black friday might make this a good time to look for something.

E: I was thinking about this one: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/34-ultra-wqhd-monitor-with-1000r-curvature-ls34a650uxnxgo/
34" S65UA Ultra WQHD High Resolution Monitor with 1000R curvature and USB-C from Samsung, since it is on sale for $280 right now, but I'm not sure if that is a good deal.

e2: nevermind that is already out of stock

tildes fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 24, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What happens when you use source tone mapping and try to calibrate it using the Windows 11 HDR calibration app? (edit: this needs to be downloaded from the microsoft store and requires windows 11 22H2 I believe)

My understanding is that the DWF hard clips at the top of its curve and doesn't roll off, but I thought It was supposed to go higher than 500 nits. Letting the source do the tone mapping for you could give better results.
I am awaiting shipment of the cheaper Alienware oled currently and all I can say is I hope it's fixed in a firmware update and this short thread has some info
https://hardforum.com/threads/dell-alienware-aw3423dwf-34-qd-oled-165hz-freesync-premium-pro-3440-x-1440.2022990/page-2

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Clobbermeister posted:

Thanks a lot - Are there any other monitors you'd recommend in this price range, or is the best move to keep an eye out for restocks on that particular model?

There are a bunch of monitors that are popular here, but that one at that price is easily the best deal yet on a monitor in that class. I'd ideally hold out for it. I think they already restocked once this week, and like I said before monitor deals tend to recur until early January, so you don't have to be ultra-aggressive about pulling the trigger on something else if it doesn't come back.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

When I said HDR calibration I did mean the windows app.
I need to look at the manual because when I tried enabling tone mapping it wouldn’t let me (I tried with console mode on and off).
So I must be missing an additional step???

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/msigaming/status/1595650709256810496

2023 will be the year of 240hz 1440p OLED I guess.

The existence of this 49" panel actually leaked a few months ago, but I'm still annoyed that they're doing this before a 16:9 model. Just chop the drat thing in half! It would be a direct 1:1 competitor with the new LG monitor, and I'd really like to see that match-up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Odyssey Neo G8 is down to $999, god I wish I could swing that for a monitor

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I haven't looked at monitor pricing lately. Is this as low as I can expect to see a high refresh rate 1080p IPS? It'd be for my brother.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R8YKB38/

The HP X27q is back on sale too. $170.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-27-inch-Adjustment-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B0949KL83T/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I haven't looked at monitor pricing lately. Is this as low as I can expect to see a high refresh rate 1080p IPS? It'd be for my brother.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R8YKB38/

The HP X27q is back on sale too. $170.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-27-inch-Adjustment-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B0949KL83T/

The previous lowest price for a 24" 1080p high-refresh IPS I've seen from a reputable brand was $130 for the Gigabyte G24F-2. So yeah, that's a great price.

Also a really good price for the HP X27q. It's dropped to that price a couple times before, and it's a great deal for a basic but good high-refresh 1440p display.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

https://twitter.com/msigaming/status/1595650709256810496

The existence of this 49" panel actually leaked a few months ago, but I'm still annoyed that they're doing this before a 16:9 model. Just chop the drat thing in half! It would be a direct 1:1 competitor with the new LG monitor, and I'd really like to see that match-up.

So this is probably a DP2.1 monitor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

probably, i think even RDNA3 falls short of being able to drive it without DSC though

using regular 1440p 480hz as a proxy for double wide 240hz, UHBR13.5 caps out at 452hz without HDR or 378hz with HDR

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress yes.

I bought a QN95A 75 inch TV which sits a few feet from my desktops and man does it make my gaming monitors look like poo poo.

I’m on an Acer predator 1440P 144hz

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is 32" LG UltraGear 32GN650-B 2560x1440 QHD 165Hz VA HDR10 FreeSync Gaming Monitor one of the good VA panels?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

So this is probably a DP2.1 monitor.

5120x1440 240Hz monitors already exist with hdmi 2.1/dp1.4, so it doesn't need to be.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

TheDK posted:

Your best bets for upcoming promo periods are going to be back to school, prime day, black Friday, Christmas/boxing day, new years.

BTS can start as early as July and run until September.

Setup a price watch on camelcamelcamel or something similar.

This finally paid off, thanks! M32U on Amazon is now $578.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

RodShaft posted:

Is 32" LG UltraGear 32GN650-B 2560x1440 QHD 165Hz VA HDR10 FreeSync Gaming Monitor one of the good VA panels?

no these are pretty much only found on samsung's high-end monitors. that's a pretty standard va one - the usual story of great contrast but poor response times & ghosting issues

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
This is both great news because oled and terrible news because I don’t want a $1000 monitor lol.

Still amazed to see oled coming down the pipeline this fast I thought we’d be seeing more of this in 2-3 years. Our current 3 resolution climate might be driving this though. At the end of the day maybe there are fewer aspiring 4k users than current 1440p users.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

27" 4K 60Hz IPS from Samsung for $200: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FRCXSJK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

A really good deal if you're looking for a high-DPI display for work or whatever. Supports 90W of power delivery through USB C too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 25, 2022

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Looking for some recommendations on a gaming monitor because I am a gamer and I gotta game. I was originally thinking of going 4k but I'm starting to think 1440p is probably a better idea right now. Dunno anything about all the new display types, QHD, WQHD, FreeSync, IPS, VA?? I just don't think I have it in me to do research into this kinda stuff anymore. Then there are the curved one which seem kinda cool but I don't know if there are any drawbacks. So basically I'm looking for a 32" 1440p, monitor to game on. My budget is around $300.

Right now I'm looking at a MSI G32CQ4, Gigabyte G32CQC A, and a Samsung Odyssey G55A. They are all on pretty decent sales on Newegg right now and are pretty similar spec wise but if posting in the hardware thread has taught me anything it's that I have no idea about any of this kinda stuff anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gorgolflox posted:

Looking for some recommendations on a gaming monitor because I am a gamer and I gotta game. I was originally thinking of going 4k but I'm starting to think 1440p is probably a better idea right now. Dunno anything about all the new display types, QHD, WQHD, FreeSync, IPS, VA?? I just don't think I have it in me to do research into this kinda stuff anymore. Then there are the curved one which seem kinda cool but I don't know if there are any drawbacks. So basically I'm looking for a 32" 1440p, monitor to game on. My budget is around $300.

Right now I'm looking at a MSI G32CQ4, Gigabyte G32CQC A, and a Samsung Odyssey G55A. They are all on pretty decent sales on Newegg right now and are pretty similar spec wise but if posting in the hardware thread has taught me anything it's that I have no idea about any of this kinda stuff anymore.

My recommendation is to not get any of those and stretch your budget a little for the Gigabyte M32Q instead. The issue with all of those monitors is that they use crappy VA panels. To break it down as simply as possible, IPS panels have good viewing angles and generally good motion clarity but mediocre contrast, while VA panels have bad viewing angles and poo poo motion clarity but better contrast (still not great). These monitors will all exhibit some form of "VA smear" where darker colors will smear across the screen when moving, particularly near-black colors. IPS monitors like the M32Q look way better whenever there's motion on the screen, which i've heard is common in video games

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My recommendation is to not get any of those and stretch your budget a little for the Gigabyte M32Q instead. The issue with all of those monitors is that they use crappy VA panels. To break it down as simply as possible, IPS panels have good viewing angles and generally good motion clarity but mediocre contrast, while VA panels have bad viewing angles and poo poo motion clarity but better contrast (still not great). These monitors will all exhibit some form of "VA smear" where darker colors will smear across the screen when moving, particularly near-black colors. IPS monitors like the M32Q look way better whenever there's motion on the screen, which i've heard is common in video games

I would trust this man, he has his doctorate in video gaming after all.

exmus
Sep 12, 2007
A similar question to above, I'm looking for a 1440p / 144 hz monitor at minimum but looking for a slightly smaller size since I tend to play fighting games more than anything. Are there any good recommendations for a 24' or 27' monitor with more of an emphasis on performance rather than visuals?

Would prefer to spend below $300 if possible but am open to suggestions.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

drat, that was gone fast. Back up to $240 already. Is it a good one in general? I'll see if it goes back down any time this weekend and grab a couple.

exmus posted:

Are there any good recommendations for a 24' or 27' monitor with more of an emphasis on performance rather than visuals?

Would prefer to spend below $300 if possible but am open to suggestions.

Niche question, I was only able to find one 27 foot monitor, the Koorui 27E1QA

(I kid, I just happened to notice the listing error at the same time you asked with the wrong suffix)

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 25, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think I'm down to these two unless anyone thinks I'm missing out on a good special available in Canada:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/dell-s2721dgf-vs-lg-27gp850-b/16485/24452?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

The LG would be a slam dunk if it had an internal power supply, but I've got 3x1 24" on arms right now and would prefer to not re-run cables (though I guess you only do that once a decade). The stands don't matter as the displays will be floating.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
what's wrong with this monitor will i regret buying it (i like the curve shut up about the curve i want the curve)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088HH6LW5/

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

So when you want an 1440p Ultrasharp that does 144hz but Dell doesn't make any Ultrasharps that go above 60hz where do you start looking?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Too Many Birds posted:

So when you want an 1440p Ultrasharp that does 144hz but Dell doesn't make any Ultrasharps that go above 60hz where do you start looking?
Dell S2721DGF?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

My Neo G7 arrived today. It looks great as long as your eyes are facing the exact middle, but if you shift your head even a few inches the sides begin to wash out pretty bad. I can see why they had to put such an aggressive curve on this.

Speaking of the curve, I don't love it, but after a couple hours I'm used to it. It's actually pretty nice in games and movies, but having straight lines appear curved in desktop apps is not ideal.

The colors on this display were pretty bad out of the box, and it looked quite washed out. I had to tweak the settings a lot to get it looking good. The contrast compared to the IPS panel next to it is fantastic once the settings were dialed in. Black looks black, and there's good detail in games with dark scenes.

The local dimming feature is probably the most disappointing part about this monitor. It's unusable on the high setting, the bloom is just ridiculously bad:

On the low and auto modes, it's OK, but you can definitely see the backlight zones flickering on and off a bit when you drag windows around the screen. It's really a shame that "Auto" doesn't completely disable it when there's no HDR content. I have to manually go into the monitor settings and turn it on or off each time I want to switch between a movie/game or using desktop stuff.

Also, windows 11 HDR mode is definitely still buggy. On the plus side, it actually looks pretty nice when you have content that supports it. I was testing HDR in Red Dead Redemption 2 today, and that also looks quite good. However, every time I alt-tabbed out of the game, windows was extremely dim, like the SDR brightness was set to minimum. I had to toggle HDR off and then back on each time I alt tabbed and then it would go back to normal.

Anyway, I think I'm going to return this. I'm happy with the overall appearance and performance, but it's going to be too drat annoying janitoring the settings and HDR modes day in and day out. I'm pretty convinced now that FALD is not really worth paying for in a monitor unless you're only going to be using it for games and movies and never using productivity software. Also, I'm a bit annoyed because there's a slightly discolored stripe right down the center of the display, probably due to the curve. It only shows up when the screen is bright and uniform. I don't notice it in games, but anytime I have a browser window open with a light background, it's super noticeable. Not sure it shows up well in photos, but it's very obvious in person: