Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to Fry's and looked at monitors tonight. I actually liked the 34" curved displays a lot more than I thought I would. I assume all of those monitors are all using the same panel, since they all have the same odd 3440 x 1440 resolution. Is the weird resolution something to be concerned about? Is there a preferred 34" curved monitor or are the Dell and Samsung pretty much interchangeable? I'll pick up a new video card to drive it, just need to research that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Aniki posted:

I went to Fry's and looked at monitors tonight. I actually liked the 34" curved displays a lot more than I thought I would. I assume all of those monitors are all using the same panel, since they all have the same odd 3440 x 1440 resolution. Is the weird resolution something to be concerned about? Is there a preferred 34" curved monitor or are the Dell and Samsung pretty much interchangeable? I'll pick up a new video card to drive it, just need to research that now.

Depends, do you game at all and have a desire for Gsync technology? If so, then you will want to look at an Acer X34. If just for web browsing and other non-gaming related needs the Dell or LG should suffice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Aniki posted:

I assume all of those monitors are all using the same panel, since they all have the same odd 3440 x 1440 resolution. Is the weird resolution something to be concerned about?
There is a lot of panel sharing, especially at the high end where there's really only one or two options for each feature set. The resolution isn't anything to worry about unless you play a lot of games with lovely FOV handling and you refuse to accept playing at cropped resolutions to conform to the game's demand.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Games aren't a primary concern and it will still be way better than my old monitor. I looked into the Acer, which is nice, but I can get the Dell for $736.72 from Jet, which seems hard to beat. I saw the Samsung in person, but it is $899 at Fry's and Amazon, so I can't see it being worth the extra price difference. I'll be using this more for development and browsing than games.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Aniki posted:

Samsung and HP use VA panels. DELL, LG, ASUS and ACER use IPS.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aniki posted:

Games aren't a primary concern and it will still be way better than my old monitor. I looked into the Acer, which is nice, but I can get the Dell for $736.72 from Jet, which seems hard to beat. I saw the Samsung in person, but it is $899 at Fry's and Amazon, so I can't see it being worth the extra price difference. I'll be using this more for development and browsing than games.

It was 442.00 or something from Dell Outlet. I got it for 500 something before I sent mine back to get the x34 refurbished.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

It was 442.00 or something from Dell Outlet. I got it for 500 something before I sent mine back to get the x34 refurbished.

That's a really good price. I just checked the Dell outlet and the biggest they have now is a 27" monitor. Where did you find a refurbished X34 at? I've got the 34" Dell ordered, but if I can find a better deal, then I can still order something else. My thought process was that I'm not a huge gamer, so I didn't think it would be worth spending $170-500 extra for the Samsung or Acer, but that changes if there are better pricing options than what I found.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Aniki posted:

That's a really good price. I just checked the Dell outlet and the biggest they have now is a 27" monitor. Where did you find a refurbished X34 at? I've got the 34" Dell ordered, but if I can find a better deal, then I can still order something else. My thought process was that I'm not a huge gamer, so I didn't think it would be worth spending $170-500 extra for the Samsung or Acer, but that changes if there are better pricing options than what I found.

I'm not the same person, but Acer's Recertified store and ebay store have carried them off and on for a while. They used to go for $700, but they've been cranking the price up. Last time they had them they were $830.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just wanna check back in and say that the Dell U3415W I got is pretty darn awesome.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

We really ought to rename this thread to ultrawide appreciation station.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aniki posted:

The Dell outlet stock is updated each morning as is their coupon offering. Check coupon then check stock. The best deal has been https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/48hvm4/monitor_dell_u3415w_34in_curved_ultrawide_refurb

It was 829 - 35% or something like that. I watch /r/buildapcsales or /r/ultrawidemasterrace and they usually post.

My x34 was professionally packed and still had retail marketing stickers on it, so I think it was pretty new. Not everyone has this experience. The Dell had 30 days with free returns so it was worth it for me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 9, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
This seems like a good deal what do goons think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025232

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I would pass, 27" 1080p is no fun and you can probably pick up a cheap 27" 1440p for a similar price. It is IPS though which is better than nothing.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I would pass, 27" 1080p is no fun and you can probably pick up a cheap 27" 1440p for a similar price. It is IPS though which is better than nothing.

I knew something was off with that price, I thought it was the 27 1440p ips one.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Is there any competition coming up on the horizon for the 140hz 1440p IPS monitors? It's still panel quality issue coin flip buying an Asus or Acer version of these, right?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I was hoping to get a recommendation. I want to get a new monitor that I'll probably run in portrait orientation, to accompany an older LCD I got a few years ago which will continue to run in landscape. I will use the new monitor for coding, viewing documents etc. and use the older monitor as spare screen space. I might add a third monitor later on. I'm not really bothered about gaming but if I get a third monitor later I might pick one I can play games on.

What's a good monitor for me? Can I get by with a stand that comes with the monitor, or is a monitor arm required if I want a portrait display?

I looked at the op, but it seems to be a few years old.

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hammerite posted:

I was hoping to get a recommendation. I want to get a new monitor that I'll probably run in portrait orientation, to accompany an older LCD I got a few years ago which will continue to run in landscape. I will use the new monitor for coding, viewing documents etc. and use the older monitor as spare screen space. I might add a third monitor later on. I'm not really bothered about gaming but if I get a third monitor later I might pick one I can play games on.

What's a good monitor for me? Can I get by with a stand that comes with the monitor, or is a monitor arm required if I want a portrait display?

I looked at the op, but it seems to be a few years old.

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

The Dell P2414H would be a good choice, it is IPS and the stand allows you to pivot the screen for portrait mode.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

rath posted:

Is there any competition coming up on the horizon for the 140hz 1440p IPS monitors? It's still panel quality issue coin flip buying an Asus or Acer version of these, right?

So the problem with monitors is that, unlike a lot of other products, there's very little "hype train" or whatever before hand. We'll see some assorted demos/prototypes at the various expos, and then absolutely nothing between then and whenever the hell a manufacturer decides to actually launch it--they just kinda show up one day. So while we can safely assume that there have to be some other people working on 120/144hz IPS monitors, no one really has a timeline to point to for when they'll appear. So for the moment, yeah, you get to pick between Acer and ASUS, and they're both using the same panels.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So in the marketing bits for the X34:

"The Predator X34 feature comes clocked at 60Hz, but when overclocked, it can generally reach 100Hz, giving you even smoother gameplay without motion blur."

"Generally"? What does that mean, in practice? Some units can't? Sacrifices if you overclock that high?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

"The Predator X34 feature comes clocked at 60Hz, but when overclocked, it can generally reach 100Hz, giving you even smoother gameplay without motion blur."

"Generally"? What does that mean, in practice? Some units can't? Sacrifices if you overclock that high?

What do you want for over a grand? A guarantee?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fozzy fosbourne posted:

"We don't want to deal with returns if a unit caps out at 95Hz."

Or, I guess,

"We don't want to deal with returns if someone's video card setup can't hit 100Hz."

Maybe?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

bolind posted:

Just wanna check back in and say that the Dell U3415W I got is pretty darn awesome.

Yeah, I ended up keeping mine also. I got it for $450 refurbished, and I had a $200 Dell e-Gift Card, so out of pocket was $250 for me. What's strange though is that Dell initially delayed the order, then asked me to agree to a FTC consent for the delay. Then it showed up on my door without ever having said shipped. Then I got another consent delay while contacting Dell to let them know I got it, and was told to agree to the consent so that it didn't cancel the order. So I've contacted Dell multiple times about having received it and that they can charge my card, but so far they haven't even though I've been using it for a month now and my order still says in production. At this point I feel like a mooch for having used it for almost a month now while they still haven't charged me but I'll assuage my slight guilt by how nice/beautiful the monitor is and that I've told them multiple times now to go ahead and charge me for it.

I've done some basic gaming on it up to/including Overwatch and it's been fine at 60 Hz which is why I'm keeping it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It's 2016 and Dell's shipping department is still run by mentally deficient monkeys. Some things never change.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Some of them will only do 95Hz.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell P2414H would be a good choice, it is IPS and the stand allows you to pivot the screen for portrait mode.

Ordered it, thanks for the suggestion!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looking for a nice gaming monitor. XB270HU or X34? Ultrawide would be nice, but the X34 has a reputation for scanline issues and would have to roll the overclocking dice to get the refresh rate anywhere close to the XB270HU. On the other hand the XB270HU has a mixed reputation for quality-control as well...

I'm looking at both of these monitors as well. The blur reduction on the XB270HU sounds pretty great but I've never seen one of these in practice. Im also assuming you need to be at a solid 60+ FPS for that to be worth turning the g-sync off? On the other hand, the ultra wide display seems like it would be badass. For the games that support it. Not sure if it's a major step down if you have to run it in a letter boxed res for games that don't support ultra wide. And of course it needs more gpu horsepower for the games that do support it.

Has anyone played games on both or equivalents? How big a deal is the blur reduction? In practice, do you tend to use that in favor of g-sync?

iris_p
Mar 17, 2014
I am looking to get a new monitor. Does anyone have experience with this particular one, Asus PB287Q 28?

I'm stopping by Fry's in a little while to see what they have available

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

xthetenth posted:

What do you want for over a grand? A guarantee?

No kidding, only one out of three of mine actually hit 100hz and it was the most hosed up right out of the gate (banding, unacceptable coil whine, dead pixels). It's a gorgeous piece of poo poo that has no business being sold as is, I gave up after all three couldn't make it two weeks without developing more problems on top of the ones they shipped with. Hopefully something acceptable with comparable specs and G-sync will come out eventually, it's drat near the perfect monitor in concept.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Folks who are looking at the 144 Hz IPS monitors really owe it to themselves to look in to the Dell S2716DG. It's a TN monitor, but an extremely nice one. No IPS glow to deal with, and the colors are almost as nice as my Eizo 1440P IPS monitor.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I jumped on this monitor after posting in this thread, and it showed up two days later. It is PHENOMENAL and I love it. The FOV is fantastic, and thus far I've only found one game where the aspect ratio is an issue (Diablo 3). The colors. THE COLORS ARE SO FANTASTIC. It's a drat fine monitor.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

iris_p posted:

I am looking to get a new monitor. Does anyone have experience with this particular one, Asus PB287Q 28?

I'm stopping by Fry's in a little while to see what they have available

It's TN, just like every other 28" 4K monitor (except the Crossover 289K). Don't confuse it for the similarly named PB278Q, which is actually an excellent 1440p monitor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zorilla posted:

It's TN, just like every other 28" 4K monitor (except the Crossover 289K). Don't confuse it for the similarly named PB278Q, which is actually an excellent 1440p monitor.

The Crossover 289K is also a TN panel. The TekSyndicate guy is a retard and the internet is full of credulous idiots who took him at face value.

quote:

NOTE: This is apparently a TN panel. I should have taken it apart! This is the best TN panel I have ever seen, hands down, though. For color accuracy and color reproduction is is very good. You can see from the testing and odd angles that the angle/color shift that is quite good, like an IPS panel even though it is a TN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7b2o2VJItQ

No IPS monitor ever had a 1ms response time, and the viewing angles were also quite typical for TN.

Asus's naming system is about as confusing as Acer's though, agreed. At least Dell has a really good naming scheme.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 10, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

No kidding, only one out of three of mine actually hit 100hz and it was the most hosed up right out of the gate (banding, unacceptable coil whine, dead pixels). It's a gorgeous piece of poo poo that has no business being sold as is, I gave up after all three couldn't make it two weeks without developing more problems on top of the ones they shipped with. Hopefully something acceptable with comparable specs and G-sync will come out eventually, it's drat near the perfect monitor in concept.

When did you buy it?

2 of us got refurbished ones and they're perfect, minus some backlight bleed that is to be expected but not really noticeable in practice.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

sellouts posted:

When did you buy it?

2 of us got refurbished ones and they're perfect, minus some backlight bleed that is to be expected but not really noticeable in practice.

Started that journey about two months ago when they stopped going for $300 over MSRP on available stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the refurbs were under more scrutiny.

Backlight bleed is indeed just the nature of the ultrawide beast, they're all pretty bad but who cares when you have big surfboard thing for a monitor. When I reverted back to my Asus PB29 I was immediately reminded of how bad it was but quickly forgot about it once it's past post, the amount of ghosting and resolution however is a bit painful after coming from the X34. The whole 29" inch range using the LG panel (if I remember correct) is still a staggering amount of monitor for the money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anti-Hero posted:

Folks who are looking at the 144 Hz IPS monitors really owe it to themselves to look in to the Dell S2716DG. It's a TN monitor, but an extremely nice one. No IPS glow to deal with, and the colors are almost as nice as my Eizo 1440P IPS monitor.
What about the matte grain? Is it really that coarse? Because I came across a bunch of posts of people dicking around with damp towels to get the matte film to unstick.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Started that journey about two months ago when they stopped going for $300 over MSRP on available stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the refurbs were under more scrutiny.

Backlight bleed is indeed just the nature of the ultrawide beast, they're all pretty bad but who cares when you have big surfboard thing for a monitor. When I reverted back to my Asus PB29 I was immediately reminded of how bad it was but quickly forgot about it once it's past post, the amount of ghosting and resolution however is a bit painful after coming from the X34. The whole 29" inch range using the LG panel (if I remember correct) is still a staggering amount of monitor for the money.

I must be the luckiest guy, my ultrawides haven't had bad glow. Both curved ones had some but the sort of amount where I need to turn off the lights to see it decently.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Anti-Hero posted:

Does anyone know how this compares to the Asus VG248QE as far as the negative aspects of TN? That's what I have right now and though I can see the problems when I look for them they don't bug me day-to-day.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

xthetenth posted:

I must be the luckiest guy, my ultrawides haven't had bad glow. Both curved ones had some but the sort of amount where I need to turn off the lights to see it decently.

I should say bad in comparison to most standard widescreen displays. The proportions make any asymmetrical bleeding really apparent, but rarely unacceptable, I've just never seen one without it.

Monitors are notoriously awful in consistency and QC, generally the undisputed king of RMA's for the respective manufacturer by several fold.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Think this is an ok monitor made sure it wasn't 1080p like my other selection.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalcom-Zevroi...pe%3A2224371011

wargames fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What about the matte grain? Is it really that coarse? Because I came across a bunch of posts of people dicking around with damp towels to get the matte film to unstick.

I don't think the AG coating on this is any more aggressive than other units on the market. It doesn't look any different to my Eizo EV2736W, which is IPS.