Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Apparently I'm a bit of a odd duck. I've got my secondary directly above my main, though generally the stuff that goes there is stuff I'm not looking at that often.

If I pick up an Ultrawide I think I might do this. Because if I put the monitor to one of the sides I'll pretty much have to crane my neck all the way to the point my head will just pop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LogicalFallacy posted:

Apparently I'm a bit of a odd duck. I've got my secondary directly above my main, though generally the stuff that goes there is stuff I'm not looking at that often.

I'm currently rolling 3x27" monitors and have seriously considered moving one of them (or just adding a 4th because gently caress it I can) above the middle one--I spend probably far too much time watching movies and crap on one of the side monitors while playing a game or "working" on the center, and I think it might be easier to glance up to the movie monitor vice off to the left or right.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
For those who aren't looking gsync:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/01/samsung-brings-quantum-dots-to-its-curved-gaming-monitors/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LogicalFallacy posted:

I went from running three wide to two-over-one and love it. Vertical multi-monitor arrangements are underappreciated compared to horizontal. It's not really useful for gaming, but frankly nor was three wide since mine are mismatched and nVidia's surround requires all three use the same resolution. This way I have the same usable space with less head movement and less of my desk being overhung by monitors.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have three monitors. Ultrawide bottom center. 16:9 and 16:10 side by side, above the Ultrawide.

code:
xx xx
 xxx 

It's nice.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
What are you using to hold these monitors? 2 mounts, 1 single arm + 1 dual arm?

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my desk with a 34" 21:9 and two 23" 16:9

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm being seduced by the siren's call of FPS performance by Overwatch, and while I have a decent setup with a 1440 Korean IPS and a GTX 970 that I just turned Fast Sync on and :aaaaa: I'm considering seeing if I can squeeze a 144hz gaming monitor in the budget because it's apparently Really Goddamned Amazing.

What are the best high-refresh monitors that are like, less than $300? I'm trying to not break the bank here, but I also don't want to cheap out when a few extra bucks get something markedly better. I'd definitely be down for a refurbished model or something of that sort that's cheaper, if anyone knows a good place to look for that kind of thing. 1080 is fine (I already have to crank Overwatch down to Medium to get 120ish FPS at Medium at 1440) but since I'm pretty deeply Team Green I have also heard people sing endless praises about GSync which seems to work with and/or as a good alternative to Fast Sync so that might also be something I should consider?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Horn posted:

What are you using to hold these monitors? 2 mounts, 1 single arm + 1 dual arm?

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my desk with a 34" 21:9 and two 23" 16:9

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Compute...vesa+mount+vivo

Whoops, that's the two monitor one. One sec.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B1D03GQ/

This is what I have

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 1, 2016

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I saw that but dismissed it the idea of switching the position of the double and single arms never crossed my mind. Thanks for the link, just ordered it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

That is freesync go amd.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of the LG 29UM67P, which is an awesome monitor and the one I use...

This Blinq site has them refurbished for $213 with free shipping, and they have 10% off your first purchase as well. That's an insanely good price for those; I bought mine for $300 which was a great deal six months ago.

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...ory-refurbished

I missed the boat on this, but am considering picking up the LG 29UM68 for £239. Is this just a newer version of the 29um67p? The LG site seems to have removed all mention of the 67, making it a bit hard to compare.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got a Amazon warehouse deal PG279Q on the way for tomorrow. Hopefully it a) doesn't get delayed by the hurricane and b) doesn't have atrocious back light bleed. Pray for me goons.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So is there any good reason why I shouldn't pick up a XB270HU for under $500?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Having seen the new Kindle Fires, I have to say I'm really looking forward to the quantum dot tech; I'll probably end up grabbing one of the big displays especially if the default stand for them is that nice arm mount.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone anywhere make a 24" 144hz 1200p screen?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lungboy posted:

Does anyone anywhere make a 24" 144hz 1200p screen?

No.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bugger. I feared as much. It's such a nice aspect ratio, and I don't need anything bigger, so a bells and whistles 1200p screen would be perfect for me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Bugger. I feared as much. It's such a nice aspect ratio, and I don't need anything bigger, so a bells and whistles 1200p screen would be perfect for me.

It's not what you want, but Dell have a 24 inch 1440p TN panel w/ gsync.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's not what you want, but Dell have a 24 inch 1440p TN panel w/ gsync.

If they'd do it in IPS i'd be happy with that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lungboy posted:

If they'd do it in IPS i'd be happy with that.

I am kind of amazed someone hasn't made one yet. The demand is out there. Only thing I can think of is that the manufacturers are worried that a lower price, 24 inch monitor will kill a ton of the sales for the 27 inch and the TN 24 inch models with a much higher margin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Djarum posted:

I am kind of amazed someone hasn't made one yet. The demand is out there. Only thing I can think of is that the manufacturers are worried that a lower price, 24 inch monitor will kill a ton of the sales for the 27 inch and the TN 24 inch models with a much higher margin.

Because 1200 is deader than dead and 1440 is the bulldozer we buried it with.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you really want 16:10 and for some reason a taller screen won't settle that on its own, they make screens that are about 4:3, except two of them side by side with no bezel in between.

(buy an ultrawide)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I don't have the desk space for anything more than a 24" plus my secondary, and I prefer to have 2 screens rather than one wide screen as i hate playing games windowed. I've lost far too many hardcore characters in D2 and POE due to clicking off the window when things get hairy to play windowed.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I play D3 in fullscreen window mode on my 3440x1440 monitor and haven't had to play anything in a window :confused:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

necrobobsledder posted:

I play D3 in fullscreen window mode on my 3440x1440 monitor and haven't had to play anything in a window :confused:

I think they meant if they have other stuff they want to have access to in another window like Discord, forums, etc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most Ultrawide screens allow you to subdivide them. My 29um67 can act as two monitors using two inputs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is there anything particularly cool about quantum dot displays besides the aura of sci-fi technology?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Am I gonna break my XB271HU by power cycling when the dreaded gsync line shows up to displace pixels? It's happening frequently now and my only option is apparently to ship it to Texas. I don't wanna screw up the power supply by turning it off and on ten times a day.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, I won the panel lottery on my warehouse deal PG279Q. Very minor bleed on the left lower and upper right. Everything works perfectly.

Goddamn this thing is beautiful - I'm coming from an old Samsung 23" 60Hz TN panel. I also got a 1080 and its like my eyes have been opened.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 2, 2016

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Bloodplay it again posted:

Am I gonna break my XB271HU by power cycling when the dreaded gsync line shows up to displace pixels? It's happening frequently now and my only option is apparently to ship it to Texas. I don't wanna screw up the power supply by turning it off and on ten times a day.

Wait, they can somehow fix it?
E: after some googling, yeah it looks like they can update the monitor's firmware to fix the glitch. You're stuck shipping it to them, though.

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 2, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PerrineClostermann posted:

Most Ultrawide screens allow you to subdivide them. My 29um67 can act as two monitors using two inputs.

This is a thing?!? :vince:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is a thing?!? :vince:

Yeah. There's a PBP option that lets me select what the second input for the screen should be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can also lie to your OS about your monitor and split it into two screens, there's apps for that floating around for most OSes, like splitview for windows: http://www.splitview.com/learnmore

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Finally got the green light from the wifey to order the X34. Super stoked.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I'm recently in the market for a new monitor. The primary focus is gaming, and given I have a decent budget (up to $800, give or take $100), I'm aiming for 1440p and 144hz. By the last 10 pages of the thread, it seems that the Acer XB271HU is pretty much going to be the go-to, but I figured a post wouldn't hurt. I'm currently using a GTX 970 from last year, with no desire to upgrade for a year or two. Am I overreaching with the Acer compared to my GPU, or will it work out fine? Or is there a better option that I haven't considered? (The only other similar monitor I've seen talked about has been the Asus PG278Q.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FeralWraith posted:

I'm recently in the market for a new monitor. The primary focus is gaming, and given I have a decent budget (up to $800, give or take $100), I'm aiming for 1440p and 144hz. By the last 10 pages of the thread, it seems that the Acer XB271HU is pretty much going to be the go-to, but I figured a post wouldn't hurt. I'm currently using a GTX 970 from last year, with no desire to upgrade for a year or two. Am I overreaching with the Acer compared to my GPU, or will it work out fine? Or is there a better option that I haven't considered? (The only other similar monitor I've seen talked about has been the Asus PG278Q.)

I just got my Acer XB271HU today and so far it's amazing, I have a 970 but I haven't really had the chance to test it with games, I'll post something about it once I've done so. I'm also planning on getting a 1070/80 but that's for xmas.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ok, some views on my new Acer XB271HU:

Desktop use: This monitor is pretty amazing on the desktop, sharpness and image clarity are very good, colors really pop and from what I have been able to test the factory calibration is very good. You really only need to turn down the brightness to a reasonable level, 25-35 or so seems to be a pretty good choice for me but how much ambient light you have is a huge factor here so adjust based on that. I was also worried that the larger resolution would make desktop elements and text feel too small but because of the very sharp image everything feels fine.

Games: Color and contrast are very good and really make games look vivid and detailed compared to my old 1920x1200 monitor. Games are very smooth, regardless of what was going on on screen it felt very fluid and low frame rates did not bother nearly as much as they would have on my old monitor. 2560x1440 is not 4k but I am seeing a lot more detail than I could on my old monitor, it really is a step up in every way from 1080p/1200p 60Hz monitors.

Other notes: The OSD is terrible, Acer seriously needs to hire someone who knows how to design an interface, options are scattered in an unorganized clutter that makes finding the option you want to adjust a annoying PITA. The aesthetics of the monitor are not nearly as bad as I thought, the red "wings" on the stand are very muted in color, the Predator logo just sort of fades into the lower bezel and the aesthetics otherwise are inoffensive if a bit on the gamer-y side of things, also kudos on Acer using such a nice matte plastic instead of the awful piano black stuff. The stand is very sturdy and easy to adjust, not too stiff but it does not bounce around either.

At this point I'm just waiting for a longer DP cable I ordered since the one it came with is too short for my setup, I've had to turn my tower in a weird direction so I could plug it in but other than that very minor complaint and the OSD stuff I'm really happy with the monitor.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, some views on my new Acer XB271HU:

Desktop use: This monitor is pretty amazing on the desktop, sharpness and image clarity are very good, colors really pop and from what I have been able to test the factory calibration is very good. You really only need to turn down the brightness to a reasonable level, 25-35 or so seems to be a pretty good choice for me but how much ambient light you have is a huge factor here so adjust based on that. I was also worried that the larger resolution would make desktop elements and text feel too small but because of the very sharp image everything feels fine.

Games: Color and contrast are very good and really make games look vivid and detailed compared to my old 1920x1200 monitor. Games are very smooth, regardless of what was going on on screen it felt very fluid and low frame rates did not bother nearly as much as they would have on my old monitor. 2560x1440 is not 4k but I am seeing a lot more detail than I could on my old monitor, it really is a step up in every way from 1080p/1200p 60Hz monitors.

Other notes: The OSD is terrible, Acer seriously needs to hire someone who knows how to design an interface, options are scattered in an unorganized clutter that makes finding the option you want to adjust a annoying PITA. The aesthetics of the monitor are not nearly as bad as I thought, the red "wings" on the stand are very muted in color, the Predator logo just sort of fades into the lower bezel and the aesthetics otherwise are inoffensive if a bit on the gamer-y side of things, also kudos on Acer using such a nice matte plastic instead of the awful piano black stuff. The stand is very sturdy and easy to adjust, not too stiff but it does not bounce around either.

At this point I'm just waiting for a longer DP cable I ordered since the one it came with is too short for my setup, I've had to turn my tower in a weird direction so I could plug it in but other than that very minor complaint and the OSD stuff I'm really happy with the monitor.

Notice any backlight bleed on it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

B-Mac posted:

Notice any backlight bleed on it?

There might be a little in the corners, but even with a completely black screen it's hard to notice, in any sort of normal usage it's invisible, my Dell U2415 was definitely worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There might be a little in the corners, but even with a completely black screen it's hard to notice, in any sort of normal usage it's invisible, my Dell U2415 was definitely worse.

That's great to hear. Seems like the quality of these have improved since first came out.