Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Eregos posted:

I'm considering just finding a good regular HDTV and hooking analog/digital audio out to a bluetooth transmitter but I worry about the sound sync - the reason I invested time in this search to begin with. Wondering if anyone has any ideas, or experience with bluetooth audio transmitters on TV and sync issues.

You want a apt-x low latency equipped dongle. Not apt-x, apt-x 'low latency'. You'll need an apt-x low latency equipped receiver as well.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_brand_tid=All&field_product_category_tid=128&field_aptx_type_tid=484

KingEup fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Green Gloves posted:

Youre not going to have a hard time maintaining 144hz playing Overwatch with a 1070. Its actually recommended to turn down a lot of settings anyway because some of the effects and reflections are distracting for competitive play. The only things I max out are textures/texture filtering/model detail and AA. Everything else is turned to low and I get consistent 144hz playing on 2560 x 1440. A 1070 is much more powerful than a 390x.

You dont need gsync if you can maintain max refresh. If youre playing other games gsync is nice but not completely necessary having 144hz is more beneficial. A 1070 will get more than >100 fps at 1080 in 90% of games.

Just save your cash and get a 144hz monitor without it.

Edit: Woops forgot to quote both posts

This is a good post, but what monitor would you recommend?

Looking at this potentially: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU...ds=Acer+XF270hu
Acer XF270HU 27", 144hz, 2560x1440 (no gsync)

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 7, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Gsync is def worth it.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

poemdexter posted:

This is a good post, but what monitor would you recommend?

Looking at this potentially: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XF270HU...ds=Acer+XF270hu
Acer XF270HU 27", 144hz, 2560x1440 (no gsync)

It has freesync and yeah its a good monitor. Another option is the MG279q that is $480.00 on Newegg. I believe Samsung has a new panel coming out called the cfg70 that is a 144hz 1440 VA with freesync.

I personally use the MG279q and I love it a lot. It came with a freesync range of 35-90hz but I expanded the range to 57-144hz and using custom resolution utility. The monitors OSD refresh read outs in sync with the FPS so I know its working.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm having issues where my new 144hz asus monitor won't switch on after being switched off unless i swap the power cables between that and my dell. It works fine otherwise. Any ideas whats causing this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jose posted:

I'm having issues where my new 144hz asus monitor won't switch on after being switched off unless i swap the power cables between that and my dell. It works fine otherwise. Any ideas whats causing this?

It might be an issue with your displayport cable, some people have similar issues because the monitor never receives the "wake-up" signal from the computer, I know a number of models of Dell monitor are affected by this but I don't know of a solution.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I haven't seen this before but it looks like ViewSonic just released a price competitor to the XB271HU and PG279Q:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

SlimBrady posted:

I haven't seen this before but it looks like ViewSonic just released a price competitor to the XB271HU and PG279Q:

I won't be the first to play Quality Control Roulette if it's the same panel, but it looks good.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Is there a freesync version of that monitor or one that is coming later?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

According to the article I read, there is a freesync version coming. Found the website for them: http://gaming.viewsonic.com/XG2703/

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SlimBrady posted:

Good, need more monitors with those specs. That being said it says "newegg exclusive" which is no good for me in the UK

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
If the freesync version of that Viewsonic is around $500 it would be pretty sweet considering it has a new panel with possibly less QA problems.

Pretty sure Newegg exclusive means its a timed exclusive.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SlimBrady posted:

I ordered one, I'll give a trip report next week.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

SlimBrady posted:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

This is kind of an odd application, but I am looking for a matte monitor, with a really good viewing angle (so I'm assuming IPS) that I can use as a digital picture frame. Something similar to what these guys are doing: https://www.electricobjects.com/ but as a DIY project.

I was thinking a 24" monitor would be reasonable, preferably some resolution a decent ways beyond 1920x1080, since most images I'll want to display are something like 4608 x 3456. I'll be driving it with a raspberry pi or something similar since I figure it doesn't take much horsepower if I'm just displaying a static image.

The OP seems crazy out of date, are there any modern recommendations that sound like they're along those lines?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The mattest matte screens I've ever seen are dells consistently. But going beyond 1080p is probably going to double or triple the price , don't know if you're trying to beat the price in your link or not

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Not *super* sensitive to price, I'm really not sure what my options are and it's hard to figure out what's really matte.

Is there a good way to tell what something like this would actually look like? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM3WM6329&cm_re=monitor-_-24-260-274-_-Product

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 8, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not *super* sensitive to price, I'm really not sure what my options are and it's hard to figure out what's really matte.

Is there a good way to tell what something like this would actually look like? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM3WM6329&cm_re=monitor-_-24-260-274-_-Product

Here's a review with plenty of detail and images. It's pretty matte.

It's not as overkill matte as their older screens, which some people complained about as appearing a bit "grainy". But it's still matte.
What with the matte finish, the small bezels, the connections that point down (important if you're wall mounting, as you are) and a pretty high DPI, it would seem to be a pretty decent option.

Edit: that said, the images you want to display are 4:3, which would waste a large portion of the screen; you would end up with more actual image displayed if you went for a 24" 16:10. But those are 1920×1200, so you'd lose a little detail overall even though the image would be larger. Hm. In light of the actual use, I'd be looking for 4:3 monitors, something like the Dell 2007FP, 1600×1200. The actual area displaying a 4:3 image is almost as much as that 25" 16:9 monitor first linked, but without enormous black bars.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 8, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Also nice choice here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112R

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Does anyone have the Asus PG27AQ? If yes, any opinions?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Hm. In light of the actual use, I'd be looking for 4:3 monitors, something like the Dell 2007FP, 1600×1200. The actual area displaying a 4:3 image is almost as much as that 25" 16:9 monitor first linked, but without enormous black bars.

You're right, I don't know why I didn't think of 4:3. I even have an old Dell monitor like the one you linked that I use on a desktop system.

I made a really quick search and it looks like higher resolution 4:3 monitors either don't exist or are super uncommon. Not sure when that happened, but it's interesting.

Thank you all very much.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Has there been any news on any HDR monitors? I can go pick up a 4K HDR Samsung TV for like £550 at the moment which would be tempting with the new PS4 announcements but it would still fall short to a gaming PC if I could get a better experience on my PC still.

When I saw HDR it looked nice though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're right, I don't know why I didn't think of 4:3. I even have an old Dell monitor like the one you linked that I use on a desktop system.

I made a really quick search and it looks like higher resolution 4:3 monitors either don't exist or are super uncommon. Not sure when that happened, but it's interesting.

Thank you all very much.

That format has fallen off the wayside for everything but commercial use. On the plus side, those monitors are cheap as hell :)

Although I think the smallest 4k monitor you can find with the lowest light setting would look pretty rad, I wonder at what point you are fooled into thinking its not even a monitor

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Blackfyre posted:

Has there been any news on any HDR monitors? I can go pick up a 4K HDR Samsung TV for like £550 at the moment which would be tempting with the new PS4 announcements but it would still fall short to a gaming PC if I could get a better experience on my PC still.

When I saw HDR it looked nice though.

I'm in the same boat as well. Don't even need 4k in a new monitor for gaming, but I would like something that could use the wider gamut.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That format has fallen off the wayside for everything but commercial use. On the plus side, those monitors are cheap as hell :)

Although I think the smallest 4k monitor you can find with the lowest light setting would look pretty rad, I wonder at what point you are fooled into thinking its not even a monitor

I have a friend who has the electronic objects monitor I linked to above, and it does a surprisingly good job even at 1920x1080. Viewing angle is spectacular, it's quite matte, and under ambient light it looks pretty close to a painting. The only reason I'm not going that route is you're locked into their (truly awful) software. Plus I'm a bit of a DIYer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Thank you all very much.

2048×1536 is the highest you'll find in that aspect ratio, and that pretty much only returns expensive as hell monitors for medical use.

Still, glad I could give some extra input.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have a friend who has the electronic objects monitor I linked to above, and it does a surprisingly good job even at 1920x1080. Viewing angle is spectacular, it's quite matte, and under ambient light it looks pretty close to a painting. The only reason I'm not going that route is you're locked into their (truly awful) software. Plus I'm a bit of a DIYer.

What's so awful about the software? That thing is super intriguing to me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

16:10 fans rejoice!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10670...ip3-color-space

Hope you got $1250, though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also a reminder that that vertical resolution can be had in a useful aspect ratio:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10644/lg-38uc99-announced-375inch-curved-219-display-with-38401600-resolution

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

xthetenth posted:

Also a reminder that that vertical resolution can be had in a useful aspect ratio:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10644/lg-38uc99-announced-375inch-curved-219-display-with-38401600-resolution

just let 16:10 die already, everyone knows wider is better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone heard anything about the next dell ultrasharp 21:9? I would like a U3415W but can wait a few months if something newer is dropping.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So what should i look at for slow-gaming (i.e. total war) and occasional single player fps games? Would like 24" with clean aesthetics. Wirecutter recommends Dell UltraSharp U2415 and the price is well in my budget.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wargames posted:

just let 16:10 die already, everyone knows wider is better.

Thats 21:9, which is superior to 16:9.
That 37.5" LG 21:9 seems sexy but I think the true replacement for my U3415W at work is an upcoming 32:9 that will have something like 5700x1600 res. I'm pretty sure I would not need 3 monitors with that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Thats 21:9, which is superior to 16:9.
That 37.5" LG 21:9 seems sexy but I think the true replacement for my U3415W at work is an upcoming 32:9 that will have something like 5700x1600 res. I'm pretty sure I would not need 3 monitors with that.

Bill Gates posted:

No one will ever need more than 32:9

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I actually just had real use for my flank monitors today.

Today has not been a good day.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ammanas posted:

So what should i look at for slow-gaming (i.e. total war) and occasional single player fps games? Would like 24" with clean aesthetics. Wirecutter recommends Dell UltraSharp U2415 and the price is well in my budget.

I had a Dell U2415 before I replaced it with an Acer XB271HU, the Dell is a really nice monitor. TFTCentral has an extensive review of it that you should check out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barry posted:

What's so awful about the software? That thing is super intriguing to me.

Yeah, I'm in the same spot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

priznat posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the next dell ultrasharp 21:9? I would like a U3415W but can wait a few months if something newer is dropping.

http://techreport.com/news/30621/dell-delivers-a-duo-of-updated-ultrasharp-displays

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nice! Hmm, not sure I'd like the more aggressive curve, and the price hike.. $1200CAD vs $870CAD, the 3415 seems a better deal still.

I really should have googled "3417", I was googling u3416 and didn't see nothin :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I had a Dell U2415 before I replaced it with an Acer XB271HU, the Dell is a really nice monitor. TFTCentral has an extensive review of it that you should check out.

What made you change monitors?