Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got my Viewsonic XG2703-GS today. It's still daytime so hard to tell for sure how much backlight bleed there is but it seems minimal. All of my lcd monitors since 2007 have been IPS so I'm pretty used to it. I do have a group of dead pixels in the bottom-right corner so I'm trying to decide if I can live with them.

The user manual came on a cd and I don't own a cdrom drive anymore. Can't download it from Viewsonic's site either. But there is some button combo I think to disable the lighting above/below the monitor although it's super subtle. There is a light on the stand I'd like to disable.

I know people have been talking about G-Sync and FreeSync in full-screen only, but my Nvidia control panel has the option of enabling it in windowed or fullscreen. This is my first *sync monitor so I don't know, is that broken or something?

I've only spent a few minutes just looking around in Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Diablo 3. Only D3 can I actually push 144 fps with my 1080. Although I've been playing Witcher at ultra settings to get around 80-90 fps usually. I also don't really know how to tell if g-sync is on. I have set it in the control panel and disabled vsync in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Return it if it has dead pixels.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

phosdex posted:

I know people have been talking about G-Sync and FreeSync in full-screen only, but my Nvidia control panel has the option of enabling it in windowed or fullscreen. This is my first *sync monitor so I don't know, is that broken or something?
Its FreeSync problem. Also if it has actual dead pixels, return. Especially if its a group.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Don't know if this is the right thread, but, I've got two monitors, one 4k with display port and one that's just dvi. I sometimes work from home, on my ThinkPad laptop that has only a VGA port. I was looking at getting a KVM switch so that I could really use my whole setup when I work from home.

In the office we have ThinkPad hubs that have a USB connection to the laptop that all the other hardware plugs into, would I need something like this?

Is there a KVM solution to this? If it only did the display port monitor that would be fine, actually, but if it could do both that would be good too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

phosdex posted:

I got my Viewsonic XG2703-GS today. It's still daytime so hard to tell for sure how much backlight bleed there is but it seems minimal. All of my lcd monitors since 2007 have been IPS so I'm pretty used to it. I do have a group of dead pixels in the bottom-right corner so I'm trying to decide if I can live with them.

The user manual came on a cd and I don't own a cdrom drive anymore. Can't download it from Viewsonic's site either. But there is some button combo I think to disable the lighting above/below the monitor although it's super subtle. There is a light on the stand I'd like to disable.

I've only spent a few minutes just looking around in Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Diablo 3. Only D3 can I actually push 144 fps with my 1080. Although I've been playing Witcher at ultra settings to get around 80-90 fps usually. I also don't really know how to tell if g-sync is on. I have set it in the control panel and disabled vsync in game.

Are you sure it's dead pixels and not dust behind the screen? Dust can be dealt with, and to a certain degree so can dead pixels. Otherwise I would return it. Dead pixels that I can't fix myself are an automatic return for me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

!Klams posted:

I sometimes work from home, on my ThinkPad laptop that has only a VGA port.

Are you sure about that? Any even somewhat modern ThinkPad will have a (mini)DisplayPort

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

Are you sure it's dead pixels and not dust behind the screen? Dust can be dealt with, and to a certain degree so can dead pixels. Otherwise I would return it. Dead pixels that I can't fix myself are an automatic return for me.

Pretty sure its dead pixels. I'm going to return it, just sucks because I got a pretty decent panel otherwise.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dissss posted:

Are you sure about that? Any even somewhat modern ThinkPad will have a (mini)DisplayPort

Just triple checked, and you're absolutely right! That makes things a lot easier!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I would like to find a decent cheap monitor so that I can get my two monitor setup back after my old one broke.

I found this monitor on Newegg, it seems like a good deal but I wanted to run it by people who know more than I do.

All I'm going to be using it for is watching videos and displaying webpages while I use my main monitor for games so it doesn't need to be fancy.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 16, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

CongoJack posted:

I would like to find a decent cheap monitor so that I can get my two monitor setup back after my old one broke.

I found this monitor on Newegg, it seems like a good deal but I wanted to run it by people who know more than I do.

All I'm going to be using it for is watching videos and displaying webpages while I use my main monitor for games so it doesn't need to be fancy.

Asus PG279Q. or that PB278Q that was recommended.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

CongoJack posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01717TLMM/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

https://www.amazon.com/MX239H-1920x1080-AH-IPS-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B1IAL7W

Alot of options.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 16, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm thinking of building a new system around a GTX 1070 and I'd like to get a fancy monitor to make the best use of it. Should I be looking mainly at G-Sync monitors, or would something like this suffice, or something else? I don't need a huge one, my current monitor is only 22", so I'm leaning towards something that does 1920x1080 at 144hz.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have a ViewSonic VX2270SMH monitor and today it started acting weird. When I turned the monitor on before I turned on my PC, the screen used to show black but today it started cycling between white, black red, green and blue. When I turned the PC on, it kept doing that for a bit until the windows login screen came on. (I have windows 10). The other monitor I have is still fine.

Now whenever the monitors go into rest mode, the Viewsonic cycles colors while the other monitor goes to black. What would cause this change?

Edit: I factory reset the monitor and that solved the color cycling issue. Now I can't adjust the horizontal and vertical position though. It's connected by HDMI but the manual image adjust menu options are mostly greyed out.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 18, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey thread, I need help shopping for a new monitor, or possibly pair of monitors depending on the pricing.

In the past I've had issues with some newer Samsung LCD monitors where staring at them for over 20 minutes would give me horrible eye pain, and my eyes would almost forcibly turn away, making work a little difficult. Due to this I've had to revert to using a very old, very lovely ViewSonic thickscreen monitor. It's so old that it's actually 4:3. I've been told that what irritated me may have had to do with the refresh rate flashing instead of fluorescing, so that's something to keep in mind.

I use this computer for work and gaming, and I'm basically on it 10 hours a day on an average day. I don't have the biggest budget, but I want something that'll stay in working condition for several years and ideally not cause me horrible eye pain. I've been wanting to work with dual monitors for a while now, but put it off because of the eye issue. So if I can get something in the 250$ (CAD) range, that'll be perfect since it'll allow me to buy two of them.

Oh, as for the size and aspect ratio, I don't really have much of a preference. I don't want to go too big due to limited desk space, but I definitely would like to get something that's at least 16:9.

Sorry if this is really vague and unhelpful. I can answer any questions you have about my PC and other such things.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Hey thread, I need help shopping for a new monitor, or possibly pair of monitors depending on the pricing.

In the past I've had issues with some newer Samsung LCD monitors where staring at them for over 20 minutes would give me horrible eye pain, and my eyes would almost forcibly turn away, making work a little difficult. Due to this I've had to revert to using a very old, very lovely ViewSonic thickscreen monitor. It's so old that it's actually 4:3. I've been told that what irritated me may have had to do with the refresh rate flashing instead of fluorescing, so that's something to keep in mind.

I use this computer for work and gaming, and I'm basically on it 10 hours a day on an average day. I don't have the biggest budget, but I want something that'll stay in working condition for several years and ideally not cause me horrible eye pain. I've been wanting to work with dual monitors for a while now, but put it off because of the eye issue. So if I can get something in the 250$ (CAD) range, that'll be perfect since it'll allow me to buy two of them.

Oh, as for the size and aspect ratio, I don't really have much of a preference. I don't want to go too big due to limited desk space, but I definitely would like to get something that's at least 16:9.

Sorry if this is really vague and unhelpful. I can answer any questions you have about my PC and other such things.

I have the same problem with eyestrain, what you want is a flicker-free monitor. This one is flicker-free, is made by a company with good support and is IPS for good image quality, it's on the small side but a pair of them should fit your desk and budget just fine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have the same problem with eyestrain, what you want is a flicker-free monitor. This one is flicker-free, is made by a company with good support and is IPS for good image quality, it's on the small side but a pair of them should fit your desk and budget just fine.

Thank you! :tipshat:

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hi I just want to know if it would be wise to wait for black friday to get a gsync monitor

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Otakufag posted:

Hi I just want to know if it would be wise to wait for black friday to get a gsync monitor

Kinda of doubt any of the decent Gsync monitors will go on sale.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lurdiak posted:

Thank you! :tipshat:

If you want one that's bigger, also check out the Crossover 2795QHD, which goes for $300. The Pixio PX274 also goes for about $220-250 pretty frequently and has about the same feature set (including a flicker-free backlight).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

Etrips posted:

Kinda of doubt any of the decent Gsync monitors will go on sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did but they're not going to knock them down by half or anything like that. A monitor today is probably better than the same monitor 6 months later and $50 cheaper.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
For any UK goons, Ebuyer have the XR342CK for £200 off at £600 today, seems vastly cheaper than elsewhere.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Well, money be damned, I went for the 1070 and now need to get a gsync monitor. I know the asus rog is highly regarded here, but any opinions on acer?

I am looking for 27' ips. Right now it seems to be all acer/asus/viewsonic, and I am guessing viewsonic is not worth it at this price point.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
What's a good 27 inch 144 hz monitor? It doesn't need to look super stellar, and I'd only be playing at 1920*1080 for the most part anyways. Basically I just want to accurately see where people's heads are and where they are going so I can click on them in FPS's.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Erdricks posted:

Well, money be damned, I went for the 1070 and now need to get a gsync monitor. I know the asus rog is highly regarded here, but any opinions on acer?

I am looking for 27' ips. Right now it seems to be all acer/asus/viewsonic, and I am guessing viewsonic is not worth it at this price point.

You have it backwards, the Acer XB271HU is the best 144Hz Gsync monitor, the Asus PG279Q has issues with backlight bleed. We don't really know much about the Viewsonic one since it just came out.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

What's a good 27 inch 144 hz monitor? It doesn't need to look super stellar, and I'd only be playing at 1920*1080 for the most part anyways. Basically I just want to accurately see where people's heads are and where they are going so I can click on them in FPS's.

The Dell S2716DG is a good choice, but you really want to run at 1440p with that since 1080p will look like rear end, probably better to turn down other settings to get the FPS you are looking for instead of turning down the resolution. What video card do you have?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Why 27"? I just tried both the Asus VG248QE and the Benq XL2411Z, and 24" is perfect for gaming at 1080p. The Asus had better colors I think, but both are fine for the price.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell S2716DG is a good choice, but you really want to run at 1440p with that since 1080p will look like rear end, probably better to turn down other settings to get the FPS you are looking for instead of turning down the resolution. What video card do you have?

I'm looking at the same thing; I'm going to have a laptop 1070. I was using the rule of thumb that 1070 is generally the 1440p card, but does that still apply when you're going for 144hz? I would definitely turn down textures or whatever if that would help keep it reasonable.

Papercut posted:

Why 27"? I just tried both the Asus VG248QE and the Benq XL2411Z, and 24" is perfect for gaming at 1080p. The Asus had better colors I think, but both are fine for the price.

This is the alternative I was looking at. My hesitation is that a big part of the reason I went for the 1070 was to try out 1440p, but if it would be more feasible to maintain a high enough fps at 1080 then I might just do that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

foutre posted:

I'm looking at the same thing; I'm going to have a laptop 1070. I was using the rule of thumb that 1070 is generally the 1440p card, but does that still apply when you're going for 144hz? I would definitely turn down textures or whatever if that would help keep it reasonable.

This is the alternative I was looking at. My hesitation is that a big part of the reason I went for the 1070 was to try out 1440p, but if it would be more feasible to maintain a high enough fps at 1080 then I might just do that.

It greatly depends on what game you are running but most of the big competitive FPS games will run over three digits FPS-wise at 1440p/high settings on a 1070. Also a lot of the point of Gsync is that you don't have to deal with tearing or extreme slow downs when you drop under your target FPS.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You have it backwards, the Acer XB271HU is the best 144Hz Gsync monitor, the Asus PG279Q has issues with backlight bleed. We don't really know much about the Viewsonic one since it just came out.

I've got a Nvidia 970. Do you mean it would look bad because of the size, or is there something specific to the monitor? Right now I play on a 28" at 1080p with everything on low for most games where I care about FPS. I was planning on leaving the monitor at the higher resolution and just setting the game to a lower one. I don't know much about this, so maybe this is a bad idea?

Papercut posted:

I'm just a lot more used to that size I guess. It does seem like there is a big price premium on the extra few inches though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've got a Nvidia 970. Do you mean it would look bad because of the size, or is there something specific to the monitor? Right now I play on a 28" at 1080p with everything on low for most games where I care about FPS. I was planning on leaving the monitor at the higher resolution and just setting the game to a lower one. I don't know much about this, so maybe this is a bad idea?

Generally speaking the picture looks bad if it's not being rendered at the monitor's native resolution. The monitor would have to upscale and interpolate to show a 1080p picture on a 1440p screen.

Also I have a 970 and it consistently gets at least 60 fps at 1440p in Overwatch with everything on high (not the most graphically intensive game, but still).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

I'm just a lot more used to that size I guess. It does seem like there is a big price premium on the extra few inches though.

I felt like that too, I have dual 27" at work and my home monitor that I was gaming on was a 39" 4k monitor. I was really hesitant to go all the way back down to 24". Turns out, it's totally fine. But it is a personal preference thing, obviously. There's no way I could use it for much other than gaming, it feels incredibly cramped for productivity stuff.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Upgrading from an Acer G215HV I got half a decade ago to another.

What does the thread think of the Acer H236HL? I'm planning to get two and $109 seems like a great deal.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Erdricks posted:

We'll need to wait on some super technical reviews to come out, BUT most impressions of the Viewsonic have been very positive. I bought one last week and have used it for maybe 6 hours in games and it's excellent. I've tried the Asus PG279Q and the Acer XB271HU and it's definitely better than the Asus, and on par with the Acer.

The biggest problems with the Asus is backlight bleed that's visible in a lit room. The Acer (generally) doesn't have this problem, and I can confirm that at least my Viewsonic has backlight bleed just like the Acer . The biggest draw for me with the Viewsonic is it's not nearly as juvenile looking as the Acer. There is a little gamer bling on it.

No dead pixels, no dust, reasonable white uniformity, unnoticeable backlight bleed, and a reasonable professional looking bezel makes this one a keeper.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It's because the monitor needs to upscale the image which makes everything really blurry. For example here are some screenshots of CS Go, one at 1080, one upscaled to 1440 and one at native 1440:

1080 native:

1080 -> 1440:

1440 native:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

We'll need to wait on some super technical reviews to come out, BUT most impressions of the Viewsonic have been very positive. I bought one last week and have used it for maybe 6 hours in games and it's excellent. I've tried the Asus PG279Q and the Acer XB271HU and it's definitely better than the Asus, and on par with the Acer.

The biggest problems with the Asus is backlight bleed that's visible in a lit room. The Acer (generally) doesn't have this problem, and I can confirm that at least my Viewsonic has backlight bleed just like the Acer . The biggest draw for me with the Viewsonic is it's not nearly as juvenile looking as the Acer. There is a little gamer bling on it.

No dead pixels, no dust, reasonable white uniformity, unnoticeable backlight bleed, and a reasonable professional looking bezel makes this one a keeper.

Hey do you have cdrom drive and have looked at the user manual? Is there a way to alter the lighting that is on the top and bottom of the bezel? The top button for the brightness/contrast menu looks like maybe it controls it but I can't figure out how.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

phosdex posted:

Hey do you have cdrom drive and have looked at the user manual? Is there a way to alter the lighting that is on the top and bottom of the bezel? The top button for the brightness/contrast menu looks like maybe it controls it but I can't figure out how.

That's not lighting, but rather a colored strip that is green.

There is a way in the menu to control the power LED light, which is on the stand itself.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ah wow, I'm dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, for some reason I had to use the VGA port, but my first monitor is up and running. Only for some reason, my computer's detecting it as a "Generic Plug and Play Monitor" and won't let me get the aspect ratio higher than 1024x768. I tried downloading "dell display manager" which came on a little DVD with the monitor, but it just crashes on launch.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, for some reason I had to use the VGA port, but my first monitor is up and running. Only for some reason, my computer's detecting it as a "Generic Plug and Play Monitor" and won't let me get the aspect ratio higher than 1024x768. I tried downloading "dell display manager" which came on a little DVD with the monitor, but it just crashes on launch.

Since it's over a VGA cable, it's probably not going to pull any information from the monitor. Install a driver for it, which should be on the DVD as well.

That should let you at least get the proper resolution for it.

And if it has other ports on it, I would read the manual a bit and see how to use those. Anything would be better than VGA. Also all the ports should, you know, work on the thing you just paid for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ThatOneGuy posted:

Since it's over a VGA cable, it's probably not going to pull any information from the monitor. Install a driver for it, which should be on the DVD as well.

That should let you at least get the proper resolution for it.

And if it has other ports on it, I would read the manual a bit and see how to use those. Anything would be better than VGA. Also all the ports should, you know, work on the thing you just paid for.

I'm fairly certain the problem is with my incredibly cursed custom built tower. The manual couldn't be simpler, everything's plugged into the right spots, but the information just isn't going through. USB isn't working, DP isn't working.... :sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm fairly certain the problem is with my incredibly cursed custom built tower. The manual couldn't be simpler, everything's plugged into the right spots, but the information just isn't going through. USB isn't working, DP isn't working.... :sigh:

Do you have a Nvidia video card? If so you should be able to set a custom resolution via the Nvidia control panel.