Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

B-Mac posted:

Didn't Newegg get bought by another company in the past year or two? Might explain a drop in customer service.
I didn't know they had been so went and looked it up and yeah, they were bought last fall by a Chinese company. Their customer service had gone down before then though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother is looking for a new monitor for his gaming PC. He upgrades the actual computer or graphics card once every few years but has had a 720p monitor for ~7 years now. Currently he's got a GTX960. The monitor will pretty much only be used for games as he's got a PS4 & 42" TV for movies.

He's looking for something between 24-27", for gaming (so low response time?), and I'm guessing 1080p since it seems like trying to keep up with being able to push 4k gaming would mean spending/upgrading more often than he'd like. He would prefer to buy from the Dell store since he has a generous employee discount there and also a gift card. He says he's willing to spend $400 but he always gives me a high ceiling and then gets anxious about it, so I'll say $300 unless there's nothing in that price range. What should he be looking at?
e: for simplicity let's say these prices are pre-discount & gift card.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 13, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dell just popped out some Alienware branded monitors:

""
Dell's new Alienware 25 gaming monitor has a 24.5-inch TN, 1920x1080 LCD display with super-thin three-side bezels, a refresh rate of 240Hz, and a response time of 1ms. It models with Nvidia G-Sync ($699) or AMD FreeSync ($499). The new Alienware 34 curved gaming monitor comes in two varieties as well. One has an FHD display and 144Hz native refresh rate, while the other has a QHD IPS display, 144 native refresh rate, and a 200Hz overclocked refresh rate. Both curved monitors come with Nvidia G-Sync as well.
""

No pricing or launch date (maybe June 13th?) info on the IPS displays, but the MSRP on the kinda generic TN doesn't give me hope.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother is looking for a new monitor for his gaming PC. He upgrades the actual computer or graphics card once every few years but has had a 720p monitor for ~7 years now. Currently he's got a GTX960. The monitor will pretty much only be used for games as he's got a PS4 & 42" TV for movies.

He's looking for something between 24-27", for gaming (so low response time?), and I'm guessing 1080p since it seems like trying to keep up with being able to push 4k gaming would mean spending/upgrading more often than he'd like. He would prefer to buy from the Dell store since he has a generous employee discount there and also a gift card. He says he's willing to spend $400 but he always gives me a high ceiling and then gets anxious about it, so I'll say $300 unless there's nothing in that price range. What should he be looking at?

From Dell your best choice is probably a 24" Ultrasharp like the U2417H. The only pure gaming monitors worth a drat from Dell are well above his max price and 1440p, not 1080p. IPS monitors these days have good enough response times for anything other than high level competitive FPS games like CS:GO so the ones in the Ultrasharp line are probably just fine for his usage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GobiasIndustries posted:

e: for simplicity let's say these prices are pre-discount & gift card.

Dell S2417DG? Something like the Acer XB1? (pay the premium for the Dell srsly)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

EoRaptor posted:

Dell just popped out some Alienware branded monitors:

""
Dell's new Alienware 25 gaming monitor has a 24.5-inch TN, 1920x1080 LCD display with super-thin three-side bezels, a refresh rate of 240Hz, and a response time of 1ms. It models with Nvidia G-Sync ($699) or AMD FreeSync ($499). The new Alienware 34 curved gaming monitor comes in two varieties as well. One has an FHD display and 144Hz native refresh rate, while the other has a QHD IPS display, 144 native refresh rate, and a 200Hz overclocked refresh rate. Both curved monitors come with Nvidia G-Sync as well.
""

No pricing or launch date (maybe June 13th?) info on the IPS displays, but the MSRP on the kinda generic TN doesn't give me hope.
Is there an official announcement somewhere on this? Not seeing anything online.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

Is there an official announcement somewhere on this? Not seeing anything online.

Whoops

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Just pony up the extra $100 for the S2417DG. It's worth it. Not only is it an outright better monitor in both image quality and build quality but he'll be able to run all his games at whatever 720p framerates he's used to (it's an integer multiple of 1440p resolution, 4:1 pixels) plus GSync, and he'll also have GSync for stuff like RPGs where you may want to take the framerate hit and go for 1440p IQ at 40fps or whatever. He'll be able to run esports titles at 165 Hz probably, CPU permitting, which is fantastic.

I have not tested that particular monitor - if someone has a S2417DG please speak up and try running standard desktop apps at 1080p and 720p to see if there are any artifacts visible from running at non-native res. UI artifacts are usually a good tell.

But my Dell P2715Q was great at both integer amounts (1080p to 4k) and non-integer amounts (1440p to 4K). I literally run it at 1440p day-to-day with my 1440p gaming monitor so that I don't end up with multi-PPI (still not handled well in W10). I would bet that a Dell would handle it better than an Acer tbh - especially with 24" 1440p PPI. That's probably not much below 27" 4K PPI.

Apart from (nowadays) super cheap first-gen 1080p 24" TN monitors like the Acer GN246HL and the Asus VG248QE, or a cheap 60 Hz FreeSync IPS monitor like the Dell SE2717HX, the next step up for NVIDIA users is pretty much the S2417DG IMO. gently caress the Korean monitors for $300 when you can get the real deal for $400. Their poo poo is too expensive nowadays anyway.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 13, 2017

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I need to switch out my very old non-HD TFT monitor and can't decide between IPS (U2517H) or the Dell TN. I've never compared TN/IPS next to eatch other so I'm really in the dark. I'm goimg to game 90% of the time i use it, so
TN/GSync sounds good, but also TN is old and looks like crap?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

von Braun posted:

I need to switch out my very old non-HD TFT monitor and can't decide between IPS (U2517H) or the Dell TN. I've never compared TN/IPS next to eatch other so I'm really in the dark. I'm goimg to game 90% of the time i use it, so
TN/GSync sounds good, but also TN is old and looks like crap?

Dell has the best TN panels around and are some of the only TNs I'd recommend. Gsync and the high refresh on the Dell gaming monitors push them over the top, go for one of those over the U2517H.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Finally a proper announcement of a monitor with the LG AH-IPS 144Hz panel announced last year. This will be the real king of ultrawides.

The leading theory on the delay of the X34P is that they are waiting for the same panel. Q3 is the current shipping date for the panel date, though I'm guessing we won't see these until Q4.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can someone help me out find if the following monitor exists:

Looking for a 1080p 144hz 24" monitor.
But looking for one that is close to bezeless as possible (similar to the current Dell range)

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

CyberPingu posted:

Can someone help me out find if the following monitor exists:

Looking for a 1080p 144hz 24" monitor.
But looking for one that is close to bezeless as possible (similar to the current Dell range)

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=192001080&W=2160,2550&H=120,165

Pc part picker is great

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah I saw that one earlier. Would prefer one that has a smaller bezel tbh but not willing to pay the £450 tag that dell has on their one

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

From Dell your best choice is probably a 24" Ultrasharp like the U2417H. The only pure gaming monitors worth a drat from Dell are well above his max price and 1440p, not 1080p. IPS monitors these days have good enough response times for anything other than high level competitive FPS games like CS:GO so the ones in the Ultrasharp line are probably just fine for his usage.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just pony up the extra $100 for the S2417DG. It's worth it. Not only is it an outright better monitor in both image quality and build quality but he'll be able to run all his games at whatever 720p framerates he's used to (it's an integer multiple of 1440p resolution, 4:1 pixels) plus GSync, and he'll also have GSync for stuff like RPGs where you may want to take the framerate hit and go for 1440p IQ at 40fps or whatever. He'll be able to run esports titles at 165 Hz probably, CPU permitting, which is fantastic.

I have not tested that particular monitor - if someone has a S2417DG please speak up and try running standard desktop apps at 1080p and 720p to see if there are any artifacts visible from running at non-native res. UI artifacts are usually a good tell.

But my Dell P2715Q was great at both integer amounts (1080p to 4k) and non-integer amounts (1440p to 4K). I literally run it at 1440p day-to-day with my 1440p gaming monitor so that I don't end up with multi-PPI (still not handled well in W10). I would bet that a Dell would handle it better than an Acer tbh - especially with 24" 1440p PPI. That's probably not much below 27" 4K PPI.

Apart from (nowadays) super cheap first-gen 1080p 24" TN monitors like the Acer GN246HL and the Asus VG248QE, or a cheap 60 Hz FreeSync IPS monitor like the Dell SE2717HX, the next step up for NVIDIA users is pretty much the S2417DG IMO. gently caress the Korean monitors for $300 when you can get the real deal for $400. Their poo poo is too expensive nowadays anyway.

Ok, so it sounds like, if he's willing to pony up a bit more the S2417DG is the way to go, but if he'd rather save he should go for the U2417H? He is not a competitive gamer in any sense of the word, mostly single-player FPS stuff and Overwatch sometimes, and I have no idea what gsync is either. Monitor technology has completely passed me by so I'm useless when it comes to this stuff :smith: I just want to make sure he doesn't spend his money in an unwise manner.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ok, so it sounds like, if he's willing to pony up a bit more the S2417DG is the way to go, but if he'd rather save he should go for the U2417H? He is not a competitive gamer in any sense of the word, mostly single-player FPS stuff and Overwatch sometimes, and I have no idea what gsync is either. Monitor technology has completely passed me by so I'm useless when it comes to this stuff :smith: I just want to make sure he doesn't spend his money in an unwise manner.

Gsync syncs the refresh rate of the monitor with the frame rate of the game, it's a huge upgrade, especially with his older video card, it will certainly be of great benefit for the FPS games he plays. I feel like if he is willing to spend the money and plays a lot of games going with a monitor without Gsync(Nvidia) or Freesync(AMD) is utterly foolish.

You said he is pretty tight fisted so I went with the tight fisted option, but IMO, if he has the money the U2417H is a bad choice compared to the S2417DG.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Gsync syncs the refresh rate of the monitor with the frame rate of the game, it's a huge upgrade, especially with his older video card, it will certainly be of great benefit for the FPS games he plays. I feel like if he is willing to spend the money and plays a lot of games going with a monitor without Gsync(Nvidia) or Freesync(AMD) is utterly foolish.

You said he is pretty tight fisted so I went with the tight fisted option, but IMO, if he has the money the U2417H is a bad choice compared to the S2417DG.

Is there any reason why the 27" is only £50 more expensive?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CyberPingu posted:

The S2716DG? Maybe the 24" model is overpriced in comparison (usually $100 or $150 more here). For another GBP50 it's probably worth stepping up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I've always found the price difference a little baffling, IMO, it's worth it to go for the 27" version if you can fit it, though the 24" version does have better DPI due to the smaller size so it should give you a sharper image.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks, and thanks again for the others who replied! I sent him an email with those two models and gave him the pro/con list. It's up to him now whether the extra $$ is something he's willing to spend.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The S2716DG? Maybe the 24" model is overpriced in comparison (usually $100 or $150 more here). For another GBP50 it's probably worth stepping up.

Yeah in the UK the 24" is price around £460-480 and the 27" is around £510-520

Like...i didnt think i had enough space on my desk for a 27 with 2x24s...but i might have to try make space now

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So up until like, 2013 I was rocking two VGA 1680x1050 monitors. Even though I have an alright gaming pc and it wasn't until I got my new graphics card (at the time), the GTX 770 that I had to get a DVI monitor since the gpu only had one VGA port. :v: I'm STILL rocking one VGA monitor but I am sick of and want to get something proper. I currently have a bog standard BenQ GL2450 1080p monitor which does the job but I figured I could get either a 144hz monitor or an IPS monitor. Don't feel like paying up the rear end to have both. 144 hz looks nice as gently caress but at the same time I doubt I can get that kind of framerate in most games anyways so I'm considering IPS since I am supposedly a "game developer" of some sort so figured might as well get them fancy colors instead. But I do still play a lot of games on this machine but it seems like IPS monitors are viable for gaming now? I'm consdering a BenQ 24" BL2411 which is IPS and 1920x1200 and it doesn't cost too much but while the IPS monitors I saw in store were nice, I have no idea about this one. The OP seems to be outdated so if anyone has any recommendations for IPS monitors then I'm :allears:.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Torabi posted:

So up until like, 2013 I was rocking two VGA 1680x1050 monitors. Even though I have an alright gaming pc and it wasn't until I got my new graphics card (at the time), the GTX 770 that I had to get a DVI monitor since the gpu only had one VGA port. :v: I'm STILL rocking one VGA monitor but I am sick of and want to get something proper. I currently have a bog standard BenQ GL2450 1080p monitor which does the job but I figured I could get either a 144hz monitor or an IPS monitor. Don't feel like paying up the rear end to have both. 144 hz looks nice as gently caress but at the same time I doubt I can get that kind of framerate in most games anyways so I'm considering IPS since I am supposedly a "game developer" of some sort so figured might as well get them fancy colors instead. But I do still play a lot of games on this machine but it seems like IPS monitors are viable for gaming now? I'm consdering a BenQ 24" BL2411 which is IPS and 1920x1200 and it doesn't cost too much but while the IPS monitors I saw in store were nice, I have no idea about this one. The OP seems to be outdated so if anyone has any recommendations for IPS monitors then I'm :allears:.

How much are you looking to spend?

And yeah, these days IPS has fast enough response times and little enough ghosting that it's fine for the vast majority of people when it comes to gaming.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How much are you looking to spend?

And yeah, these days IPS has fast enough response times and little enough ghosting that it's fine for the vast majority of people when it comes to gaming.

Well I'm in Sweden so the prices are much higher than most places. The BenQ I mentioned goes for ~$350 here so ideally not more than that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Torabi posted:

Well I'm in Sweden so the prices are much higher than most places. The BenQ I mentioned goes for ~$350 here so ideally not more than that.

Looking at reviews I'm not seeing anything particularly bad about the BenQ you were looking at, overall I can say that it should be a good choice. Normally I would recommend the Dell U2415 but I am sure that would be much more expensive than the BenQ.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I just picked up a Dell S2716DG and after hooking it up to my 1080 with a displayport cable (and also running a U2412M via DVI), it seems to flicker more than normal any time I alt-tab. Would it be better to run both via displayport? I am running g-sync on S2716DG, not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

I'm also pretty annoyed by the interlacing (aka pixel inversion?) on the 27. Is there any way to mitigate this? I see vertical columns of pixels jump out at me any time there is a moving image...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

willroc7 posted:

I just picked up a Dell S2716DG and after hooking it up to my 1080 with a displayport cable (and also running a U2412M via DVI), it seems to flicker more than normal any time I alt-tab. Would it be better to run both via displayport? I am running g-sync on S2716DG, not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

I'm also pretty annoyed by the interlacing (aka pixel inversion?) on the 27. Is there any way to mitigate this? I see vertical columns of pixels jump out at me any time there is a moving image...

Pixel inversion should not be visible in normal usage, you might have a dud if you are seeing it outside of tests meant to invoke it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pixel inversion should not be visible in normal usage, you might have a dud if you are seeing it outside of tests meant to invoke it.

Hm, I still am in the return/exchange period. Is there any way to definitely test for this? Panel seems good otherwise.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

willroc7 posted:

Nope, not normal.

The second monitor should not affect the first at all. During your troubleshooting, please disconnect the video cable for the U2412M to verify this, but I doubt that is the problem.

First off, go reset your monitor settings to the default using the on-screen display (and then turn brightness down to like 60 or less, the default is way, way too bright). Then go reset your NVIDIA control panel settings, make sure everything is defaulted in color settings/etc. You should be driving the monitor at 2560x1440, 144 Hz, and 8 bpc with full range color mode. GSync on, but shouldn't matter re:flickering/image problems.

My next step would be to try a different cable. Video cables are the most delicate type of cable in my experience, I've seen quite a few go bad over the years. You will need to run DisplayPort to get GSync to work (or to go beyond 60 Hz at 1440p) but a HDMI cable will be sufficient to isolate whether it might be a cable problem. Make sure to try a different port on the GPU too, just to be sure. Or a different PC entirely if you can (do you have a laptop too?).

If all that fails then yes, you have a monitor problem and you should RMA or return that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 14, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Well Acer cancelled my order so I ordered a XB271HU from Walmart. Should be easy to return if I get a crappy panel and they price matched Newegg for 699.99.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
By the way if anyone is interested in those Dell S2417DGs, the Dell Outlet has refurbs for $340 shipped (7 available, 90 day warranty unless you buy a PC at the same time)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Well Acer cancelled my order so I ordered a XB271HU from Walmart. Should be easy to return if I get a crappy panel and they price matched Newegg for 699.99.

Also, Costco carries (carried?) the XB271HU, if you have a membership.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pixel inversion is a known issue with the S2716DG and one of the main reasons I bought the S2417DG instead. That and some other minor issues like banding and the granularity of the AR coating.

This thread has all the info:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577511/dell-s2716dg-1440-144-hz-g-sync-owners-thread

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way if anyone is interested in those Dell S2417DGs, the Dell Outlet has refurbs for $340 shipped (7 available, 90 day warranty unless you buy a PC at the same time)

For anyone that is afraid of the outlet, they still get a perfect screen guarantee. I ordered my 3 27s from the Dell outlet way back when and 1 had a dead pixel, they sent me a fresh one with no issues.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

eames posted:

Pixel inversion is a known issue with the S2716DG and one of the main reasons I bought the S2417DG instead. That and some other minor issues like banding and the granularity of the AR coating.

This thread has all the info:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577511/dell-s2716dg-1440-144-hz-g-sync-owners-thread

Interesting. I didn't know the 24" version was better off on this. I might just return it and try the Acer XB271HU even though it's a lot more expensive...

I will try swapping the cable around a bit and Paul MaudDib's other suggestions first though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

link?

nvm got it...does Dell's US outlet ship to the UK?

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 14, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Interesting. I didn't know the 24" version was better off on this. I might just return it and try the Acer XB271HU even though it's a lot more expensive...

I will try swapping the cable around a bit and Paul MaudDib's other suggestions first though.

have you checked what revision your screen is? (label near the connectors, A00 to A04)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

No but I will check when I get home.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, Costco carries (carried?) the XB271HU, if you have a membership.

I checked online and it wasn't listed anymore. Called the closest store and it was OOS and the guy said it was discontinued. Hoping the Walmart one works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Costco seems to have discontinued every g-sync monitor, and have a single 1080p freesync.