Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks for the summary, that helps. I am a light gamer, no FPS. I've heard people say 144 is one of the best upgrades they've ever done but not sure I'll really benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
24" Lenovo IPS 1440p for $229 @ Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Monitor-L24q-23-8-Inch-Resolution/dp/B071SGQP1T

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Anyone have any insight on this extremely cheap and questionable seeming monitor?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-27-WQHD-2560x1440p-TN-LED-144Hz-Ultra-Slim-Aluminum-Monitor-FreeSync/232471648048

It's $213 with an additional promo code. Like a lot of people I'm looking for that reasonably priced 1440p/144hz/IPS sweet spot but I'm getting really tired of waiting. If this weird house brand TN is not complete garbage maybe it's time to settle at that price and get the better refresh rate/resolution/suffer with TN while I wait(years) for something better?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

joe football posted:

Anyone have any insight on this extremely cheap and questionable seeming monitor?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-27-WQHD-2560x1440p-TN-LED-144Hz-Ultra-Slim-Aluminum-Monitor-FreeSync/232471648048

It's $213 with an additional promo code. Like a lot of people I'm looking for that reasonably priced 1440p/144hz/IPS sweet spot but I'm getting really tired of waiting. If this weird house brand TN is not complete garbage maybe it's time to settle at that price and get the better refresh rate/resolution/suffer with TN while I wait(years) for something better?

It's in the same price range as korean IPS panels so it seems normal to me except maybe a little faster, added in FreeSync (which many of them have now) and not IPS. G-Sync for the same thing is about +$200 which is normal (see the recent Dell deals).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khorne posted:

People seem to prefer to trade PPI for physical size and manufacturers respond to that. I know people with 27"+ 1080p monitors for some reason. It makes no sense to me.

For a little insight into this, I looked into getting my Dad a larger monitor because his eyesight is deteriorating as he ages. I was going to give him a 28" UHD display, but the laptop he uses as a desktop replacement is Sandy Bridge and the iGPU doesn't support that resolution, so it'd be a waste just running it at FHD and the laptop otherwise does everything else he needs. A 27" FHD IPS panel for ~$100 would therefore be a good upgrade from the old 24" FHD TN display he's using now and would be more cost-effective than buying a new PC.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy an Asus VZ27AQ?

My monitor just died, and I need a replacement on a tightish budget. The old one was a 27” Samsung pls from 2011; I don’t want to go backwards; but I’ve decided I don’t want to spend the money for 4K or Gsync. Usage is gaming, movies and general computer use. I don’t do anything that would require pro colour accuracy stuff, and I have no intention of using any built in speakers.

Nobody responded to me, so I bought the monitor. I’m pleased to say I’m really happy with it - it looks a lot better than my old Samsung, although I’m sure the absence of several years worth of dust is probably a factor in that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This is display related in a sense so I'm not sure where else would be a better fit. I'm looking for a hdmi switch with 4 inputs that also has automatic source selection, decent overall quality and a good price. It's to couple several consoles to my pc monitor. Finding the switches themselves isnt hard, but also auto source selection plus decent price isn't as easy. And I don't know which are good!

If there's a better place for this I'll just move this over there. :)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I paid AUD$13 for this: https://www.simplecom.com.au/simplecom-cm301-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-3-way-hdmi-switch-with-ir-remote.html

Autoswitches good. They make a model with 4 ports too.

I'm sure you can get even cheaper on ebay.

Edit: it doesn't look like the 4 port version has auto source selection.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 21, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hey thanks for that. Looks good! Only problem is that Simplecom is not known in my region(europe, netherlands).

Interesting enough though I spotted this in my region: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/719631/maxxter-hdmi-3-poorts-switch-met-afstandsbediening.html

:thunk:

Can't speak for the internals of course, but the outside is suspiciously comparable. Perhaps this device gets re branded often. For some reason in most local stores I browse they don't mention auto switching. It's like it is not considered worth mentioning.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So those of you waiting for 144Hz 4K HDRs might not be waiting much longer: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12561/nvidia-expects-4k-144-hz-gsync-hdr-displays-april

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

27”? Boo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

27”? Boo.

Ryan Smith says in the comments that 32" versions are expected to be a quarter behind. But I guess we all know how that worked out for the 27" monitors, still waiting on that Q1 2016 launch.

The kicker on all of these is going to be the price. The BFGD actually may not be all that terrible a deal compared to these... if you're in for $2500 for a 27" or $3500 for a 32", maybe you suck it up and drop $5000 for the 60". Price really isn't a consideration in the price brackets these are going to be aimed at, if you have to ask you can't afford these.

The S2716DG/XB271HU/X34/AW3418DW are going to remain the optimal choices for anyone who wants a midrange or high-end monitor without selling a kidney.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 22, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And we’re what, a year from 120Hz OLED? Hrm.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 22, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

And we’re what, a year from 120Hz OLED? Hrm.

OLED? What OLED? Nobody's making any OLED monitors. There are a few TVs (expensive as hell) and the couple of monitors tries in this space were failures. OLED as a monitor to me looks like a century away.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volguus posted:

OLED? What OLED? Nobody's making any OLED monitors. There are a few TVs (expensive as hell) and the couple of monitors tries in this space were failures. OLED as a monitor to me looks like a century away.

Didn’t ASUS announce one in January?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Didn’t ASUS announce one in January?

I'm sure it will have the same fate as the Dell. For now they say: Coming Soon. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volguus posted:

I'm sure it will have the same fate as the Dell. For now they say: Coming Soon. I wouldn't hold my breath.

You’re mean, Volguus. I don’t like you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh and the ASUS monitor is twenty-one inches. I’m heartbroken.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I'm hyped. Perfect size.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Monitor/Display Megathread - Unrealistic size expectations

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khorne posted:

I'm hyped. Perfect size.

4K 21"? Are you going to strap it to your face?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Not 4k ultrawides not interested.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
That reminds me when I was shopping for a monitor two weeks ago I had a chance to see a 49 inch ultra wide which so far was the dumbest thing I've seen when it comes to monitors.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

That reminds me when I was shopping for a monitor two weeks ago I had a chance to see a 49 inch ultra wide which so far was the dumbest thing I've seen when it comes to monitors.

But not a terribad idea for a regular old tv if you watch movies, problem is Blu-rays bake in letterboxing so your ultrawide tv will have black bars on the side and show a 16:9 image with baked in black bars if i remember how dumb they made the blu-ray standard.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People still use BD players?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, could use one of the 4K 120Hz LG OLED TVs coming in 2019!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

4K 21"? Are you going to strap it to your face?
21" is the perfect size. OLED is great tech. 4k is not perfect at 21", I'll admit. That'd be 1440p.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

wargames posted:

But not a terribad idea for a regular old tv if you watch movies, problem is Blu-rays bake in letterboxing so your ultrawide tv will have black bars on the side and show a 16:9 image with baked in black bars if i remember how dumb they made the blu-ray standard.

Maybe I should've noted that this monster of a monitor (Samsung C49HG90) has aspect ratio of 32:9, I wouldn't want to watch movies on that. It looks like a noodle.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Maybe I should've noted that this monster of a monitor (Samsung C49HG90) has aspect ratio of 32:9, I wouldn't want to watch movies on that. It looks like a noodle.

yeah I agree that is is pretty dumb.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mightygadget.co.uk/nvidia-4k-144hz-displays-launch-alongside-geforce-gtx-2080-april/

Little more on the upcoming 4k monitors, gtx 2080 coming out at the same time

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Azhais posted:

https://mightygadget.co.uk/nvidia-4k-144hz-displays-launch-alongside-geforce-gtx-2080-april/

Little more on the upcoming 4k monitors, gtx 2080 coming out at the same time

Never heard of that website, so I'm kind of taking the nVidia launch information with several grains of salt.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

lordfrikk posted:

That's like having dual 16:9 monitors side by side. I can see a use for it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
All the shoving of ultrawides down our throats makes sense when you take in account that ever-longer aspect ratios gets more panels to sell out from the same glass substrate in the factories.

Oh and I know at least one idiot who got a LG 34" 2560x1080 at X34A prices. :downsbravo:

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 23, 2018

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

lordfrikk posted:

How do you feel about people rocking dual 1920x1080 monitor setups?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I like dual 1920 x 1080 setups just fine, and I still think a 49" ultrawide is dumb.

Even though I now use a 21:9 1080p, there's always a part of me that goes, "You know, I would really like to be able to fullscreen this one thing, without affecting everything else"

Eventually, I intend to use two monitors again. I'm thinking 21:9 1440p + a 16:9 1080p that switches between portrait and landscape depending on task at hand, once GPUs aren't hosed anymore, and I can get something that's actually capable of driving that many pixels.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 23, 2018

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I like dual 1920 x 1080 setups just fine, and I still think a 49" ultrawide is dumb.

Even though I now use a 21:9 1080p, there's always a part of me that goes, "You know, I would really like to be able to fullscreen this one thing, without affecting everything else"

Huh? You know you can set it up so it behaves as if the single display was actually two independent displays right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use my 2560x1080 as my primary, with two 16:9s above it to either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingEup posted:

Huh? You know you can set it up so it behaves as if the single display was actually two independent displays right?

The 1280x1080 resolution per-pseudo monitor displeased me. Also, not able to rotate one of them into portrait for reading documents.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 23, 2018