Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The 1280x1080 resolution per-pseudo monitor displeased me. Also, not able to rotate one of them into portrait for reading documents.

So now the only reason 32:9 is dumb is because you can't rotate the display to read documents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ryan Smith says in the comments that 32" versions are expected to be a quarter behind. But I guess we all know how that worked out for the 27" monitors, still waiting on that Q1 2016 launch.

The kicker on all of these is going to be the price. The BFGD actually may not be all that terrible a deal compared to these... if you're in for $2500 for a 27" or $3500 for a 32", maybe you suck it up and drop $5000 for the 60". Price really isn't a consideration in the price brackets these are going to be aimed at, if you have to ask you can't afford these.

The S2716DG/XB271HU/X34/AW3418DW are going to remain the optimal choices for anyone who wants a midrange or high-end monitor without selling a kidney.

There's also this recent monitor: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824025836

LG 32 inch 1440p VA 165 hz with GSYNC, at $800 it seems pretty competitive with those other monitors.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 23, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KingEup posted:

So now the only reason 32:9 is dumb is because you can't rotate the display to read documents?

It is for *me*. I'm sure if you asked other people, they'd be able to come up with reasons why they think 32:9 is dumb, too!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

All the shoving of ultrawides down our throats makes sense when you take in account that ever-longer aspect ratios gets more panels to sell out from the same glass substrate in the factories

But ultrawide gaming is loving great and so is watching movies in their original ratio without letterboxing, so who cares if they shove something tasty down our throats for a change?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just to clarify, I think regular ultrawides are great for gaming but after seeing the 49" in person I couldn't come up with any reasonable use case for myself, especially since the price it goes for here in Europe is almost 2000 dollars. I saw it on Amazon for around half that price which might be more attractive for supplanting two 1080p monitors but even then it's a bit of a sketchy proposition at best IMO.

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010
I have a triple 1080p setup but I think these stupid superultrawide monitors would be great in split screen mode.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think a 32:9 ultrawide would be better than a comparable pair of 16:9 monitors for work purposes, and at least in games that handle the width well it'd also be better for single tasking.

The reason I don't think I'd ever give up my actual multiple monitor setup is I like the separation, the ability to have a full-screen game running while still having monitoring, chat, or whatever else I'm doing on another screen, or a full screen movie/tv show running on one of the additional screens while I'm working/gaming on the main one. You can do that with the Samsung's side-by-side mode, but then you have to be working/gaming on one side of the monitor rather than in the center, which is a bit annoying. I'd rather just have two monitors with one centered as the primary and one off elsewhere as the secondary in that case.

If it could emulate three monitors to the system it might be more interesting to me, so I could have a "full screen" 16:9 game running dead center with two 960x1080 vertical panels on either side, or even an ultrawide center with 640x1080 panels. I know most ultrawides come with software to assist with laying out windows like this, but those don't really get along with fullscreen titles where actually appearing to the system as multiple monitors does.

Right now I'm feeling like my eventual endgame is a 21:9 panel underneath two 16:9s for the best of both worlds. Lots of work space on the main screen plus two separated spaces for multitasking.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Mutant posted:

There's also this recent monitor: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824025836

LG 32 inch 1440p VA 165 hz with GSYNC, at $800 it seems pretty competitive with those other monitors.

Those VA panels are straight garbage compared to the IPS models in that price range.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is split-screen a standard feature on ultra-wide monitors? Or is only a premium monitor thingy?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Those VA panels are straight garbage compared to the IPS models in that price range.

Really? What I read is that it has some advantages (contrast) and disadvantages (it can be slightly blurrier) over the IPS panels.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Mutant posted:

Really? What I read is that it has some advantages (contrast) and disadvantages (it can be slightly blurrier) over the IPS panels.

Their pixel transitions are way too slow to keep up with their refresh rate, the rated refresh rate is basically marketing bullshit. The manufacturers have to use aggressive overdrive to try and control the transition times which means they all suffer from anti-ghosting and pixel inversion. The contrast is nice, but black scenes still look crap because they have 50ms+ transitions from black and VA suffers from black crush and gamma shift. The IPS screens have much better colour accuracy, better motion clarity and better uniformity. I'd honestly recommend the TN 1440p144hz before the VA ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WToBfiP-YQs

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 23, 2018

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Their pixel transitions are way too slow to keep up with their refresh rate, the rated refresh rate is basically marketing bullshit. The manufacturers have to use aggressive overdrive to try and control the transition times which means they all suffer from anti-ghosting and pixel inversion. The contrast is nice, but black scenes still look crap because they have 50ms+ transitions from black and VA suffers from black crush and gamma shift. The IPS screens have much better colour accuracy, better motion clarity and better uniformity. I'd honestly recommend the TN 1440p144hz before the VA ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WToBfiP-YQs

Are those results from this specific panel or is this just a criticism of VA panels in general? The video reviews I've seen from this monitor say that the ghosting is minimal.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

My S2716DG came yesterday, and wow. Even coming from a 144hz gsync 24in @1080 and I'm impressed. First thing I did was move the settings window around and even that was smoother. Also it's nice to have 27in back as my main display, and my 1060 6g is not having a hard time with 1440 as I feared.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wolrah posted:

Right now I'm feeling like my eventual endgame is a 21:9 panel underneath two 16:9s for the best of both worlds. Lots of work space on the main screen plus two separated spaces for multitasking.

Sounds like you'd be better off with this: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/2/15513200/lg-4k-monitor-42-inch-ips-freesync-43ud79-b

Check out the different screen layout options you get down the page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

60Hz, in the year 2018?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Odd Mutant posted:

Are those results from this specific panel or is this just a criticism of VA panels in general? The video reviews I've seen from this monitor say that the ghosting is minimal.

It's definitely not all VA panels. Maybe the high refresh ones suffer from this more commonly because I have a regular 60 Hz monitor with zero ghosting as far as I can tell.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

lordfrikk posted:

It's definitely not all VA panels. Maybe the high refresh ones suffer from this more commonly because I have a regular 60 Hz monitor with zero ghosting as far as I can tell.

Aren’t those 144hz 4K HDR monitors we just saw for April VA panels? Seems like that’s something they’d have to get nailed down to sell such a premium monitor

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Mutant posted:

If you read TFTCentral's reviews of LG VA panels they show the exact same issues as Samsung's and AUO's. I've seen no evidence that they've overcome the inherent issues with high refresh VA.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Deuce posted:

Aren’t those 144hz 4K HDR monitors we just saw for April VA panels? Seems like that’s something they’d have to get nailed down to sell such a premium monitor

Can't see any evidence of it but I didn't search too hard. I'm not too familiar with the limits of IPS so I'm not sure if it could even reach the brightness levels required for proper HDR.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Can't see any evidence of it but I didn't search too hard. I'm not too familiar with the limits of IPS so I'm not sure if it could even reach the brightness levels required for proper HDR.

They're IPS, they use full array local dimming with 384 zones to do "proper" HDR.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can they use the FALD for high contrast with SDR content as well?

eames
May 9, 2009

Fingers McGee posted:

My S2716DG came yesterday, and wow. Even coming from a 144hz gsync 24in @1080 and I'm impressed. First thing I did was move the settings window around and even that was smoother. Also it's nice to have 27in back as my main display, and my 1060 6g is not having a hard time with 1440 as I feared.

They're really well rounded gaming monitors — fast response time, low input lag, very little overshoot/ghosting and good QC. Contrast and IQ could be better but not at that price point. TN still has a bad reputation but cheap and fast IPS panels have become so bad that a decent TN panel shines in comparison.

I bought the smaller one as a stop gap until 4K/144Hz panels and matching GPUs become available but I'll probably skip the first generation of that tech because unless it exceeds all my expectations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Can they use the FALD for high contrast with SDR content as well?

I believe so.

eames posted:

TN still has a bad reputation but cheap and fast IPS panels have become so bad that a decent TN panel shines in comparison.

What do you mean by this? The TN screens are nice for their price but that is the only reason for their recommendation, the equivalent IPS screens are actually fantastic by any standard. IPS screens haven't become bad, they're actually better than they have ever been. The TN screens definitely don't "shine" by comparison.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BurritoJustice posted:

I believe so.

That’s great. Some have been able to and others not, but FALD for SDR is of real value to me!

eames
May 9, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

What do you mean by this? The TN screens are nice for their price but that is the only reason for their recommendation, the equivalent IPS screens are actually fantastic by any standard. IPS screens haven't become bad, they're actually better than they have ever been. The TN screens definitely don't "shine" by comparison.

The last time I saw a couple of different IPS gaming monitors lined up in person most had massive IPS glow and very bright blacks. I don't want to :can: so let's just agree that IPS are actually fantastic by any standard.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

eames posted:

The last time I saw a couple of different IPS gaming monitors lined up in person most had massive IPS glow and very bright blacks. I don't want to :can: so let's just agree that IPS are actually fantastic by any standard.

lol

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

eames posted:

Would you buy an identically specced TN screen over an IPS (XB271HU vs S2718DG) for the same price?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingEup posted:

Sounds like you'd be better off with this: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/2/15513200/lg-4k-monitor-42-inch-ips-freesync-43ud79-b

Check out the different screen layout options you get down the page.

The screen layout options are awesome, but that's way too large for a flat desktop monitor in my book. Once the screen is wider than two feet or so I like to see a curve. 60Hz is a bit of a bummer too, though not the biggest deal to me since I'm not really a twitch gamer. I like my faster panel but I'd be willing to give it up in exchange for other features.

That controller strapped to a curved panel would be very tempting though, especially if they did it with an ultrawide panel and added an asymmetric three-wide mode like I described above. Having a normal 16:9 center with two narrow side "panels" would be a lot nicer than the triple portrait config this one offers.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm looking for a recommendation on a 23-24" IPS display. I think I want something middle of the road for gaming more than anything.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Are the 144hz IPS monitors actually IPS or are they still pseudo IPS like the first iterations?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Mutant posted:

Are the 144hz IPS monitors actually IPS or are they still pseudo IPS like the first iterations?

None of them are pseudo IPS, that is a common mistake due to the confusing naming conventions for panel technologies (LG owns the name "IPS, so when other manufacturers make them they use their own names like PLS/AHVA etc).

They're actually IPS.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So what recent decent additions to GSYNC monitors are there? Has ULMB technology progressed?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...KkaAjxvEALw_wcB

This is a good deal... Right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/scM323/aoc-ag271qg-270-165hz-monitor-ag271qg

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
so this Dell is my best bet for a 27ish TN panel probably, yes?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Xeras posted:

so this Dell is my best bet for a 27ish TN panel probably, yes?

yes tho that price is nothing to write home about

the monitor is amazingly well constructed i am very pleased with it

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I am pleased to see that we might see the newer 4K/144HZ/Gsync displays by the end of this quarter. It means that the 200HZ ultrawides should be in tow as well. I should squirrel away some cash for an upgrade.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

canyoneer posted:

Yep. Skipping to the end:
https://slickdeals.net/deals/monitor/

That 27" IPS Dell at $109 is a worthy purchase for that purpose at the price.

I actually ended up buying this - already received it, and it's quite the upgrade. Only to figure out that today they're $89.99. Christ. I guess I'll get a second. https://slickdeals.net/f/11409143-24-dell-se2417hg-1080p-monitor-90-after-10-rebate-free-s-h

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hi gang! I'm looking for a curvy monitor that is fun to shoot bad guys on. I'd like to stay under 1000USD.
I read the OP posts but I'm not super clear on what I should be looking for so I'll just say it's going on a not huge desk so it won't be that far away from my face. So it doesn't really need to be huge. Or curved, I just like the way they look and have one at work and it makes me feel like I'm in minority report.

edit: I should add I'm on a laptop and it has a GTX 1070 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

eightysixed posted:

I actually ended up buying this - already received it, and it's quite the upgrade. Only to figure out that today they're $89.99. Christ. I guess I'll get a second. https://slickdeals.net/f/11409143-24-dell-se2417hg-1080p-monitor-90-after-10-rebate-free-s-h

To be fair, I envy you that you can be happy with a $100 monitor.