Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ranter posted:

What is the biggest curved ultrawide I can get with gsync and IPS and >60hz? Seems like 34" if it has gsync, but 38" without gsync. And out of the 34"s available, I definitely want 3440 x 1440 not 2560x1080 right?

edit: oh it looks like they don't do 144hz either? drat.

No 34" UW with G-Sync does 144Hz yet. The two best ones out there right now are the Alienware 34" (one is 1440p, the other is 1080p - the more expensive one is how you easily tell them apart) and the Acer (apologies for the gibberish model number, but this is how you know you're getting the *updated* version) X34 Pbmiphzx, as opposed to the older model, which is just the X34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks man. If you were picking between the two and money wasn't a problem which would you go for? I 'feel' like spending the extra $100 for a Dell is a safer bet quality-wise?

This is the one, right? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ranter posted:

Thanks man. If you were picking between the two and money wasn't a problem which would you go for? I 'feel' like spending the extra $100 for a Dell is a safer bet quality-wise?

This is the one, right? http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv

Yeah - I went with the Dell over the Acer simply because eventually Dell will come out with later revisions of the AW3418DW that likely will utilize the updated panel the X34P uses (which is nice if I ever have to RMA), and Dell has a *way* better support network.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 4, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
thanks

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You also have to toggle a setting in the monitor's OSD on the AW to 'unlock' 120Hz, but that's easy enough. I haven't even bothered yet seeing as I'm still using it with a 970.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm looking for a 1080p monitor with good colors and viewing angles, but something with slightly above average response time would be nice. It will be mostly used for gaming but I think I care about colour accuracy and general IQ more than the refresh rate. I have a GTX 1060 and want to target 1080p/60fps.
I like the sound of the Dell U2417H but is it really that bad for gaming? I don't do anything competitive other than occasional Overwatch etc., mostly stick to single player stuff.
Any other suggestions for a non TN panel with decent response time/performance?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm looking for a 1080p monitor with good colors and viewing angles, but something with slightly above average response time would be nice. It will be mostly used for gaming but I think I care about colour accuracy and general IQ more than the refresh rate. I have a GTX 1060 and want to target 1080p/60fps.
I like the sound of the Dell U2417H but is it really that bad for gaming? I don't do anything competitive other than occasional Overwatch etc., mostly stick to single player stuff.
Any other suggestions for a non TN panel with decent response time/performance?

1080p60 IPS monitors don't have the fantastic response times of 1440p144 IPS monitors (regardless of dimensions) or even anything less like the better 1440p144 TN monitors. Something like the U2417H is not a terrible monitor, maybe slightly better as something with FreeSync like the SE2717Hx, but it's not as fast as a gaming monitor.

Note that you may not want to go to a 27" monitor at 1080p, this is just an example, look for something with freesync even at 24". The SE2418HX is the obvious example.

On the other hand, the (TN) gaming monitors in that price range are total poo poo for color accuracy and general IQ, so given your stated goals it sounds like you are barking up the right tree here.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 5, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
“Office” work is an excuse to sell mediocre monitors to businesses for increased mark-ups when gaming monitors with higher refresh reduces eye strain more than resolution. I use my monitor 90%+ of the time for coding and reading documents and 120+ Hz is awesome even for that. You can more easily spot issues with erratic JavaScript judder and timing in web pages, and page scrolling being smoother does help reduce eye strain. I appreciate the AW3418DW even more given I’ve been glued to a screen pulling 100 hour weeks for a couple months now. On the LG 34UM95P (60 Hz) I took to my office, I can pull maybe 7 hours before I really start hurting. Only crappy thing for office work is loss of the KVM feature from the LG or the ultrasharp equivalent, but maybe in the future we’ll get office monitors that have lots of ports and can push refresh at 100+ Hz.

Oh, make sure to use DisplayPort for GSYNC - it doesn’t work over HDMI.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Paul MaudDib posted:

1080p60 IPS monitors don't have the fantastic response times of 1440p144 IPS monitors (regardless of dimensions) or even anything less like the better 1440p144 TN monitors. Something like the U2417H is not a terrible monitor, maybe slightly better as something with FreeSync like the SE2717Hx, but it's not as fast as a gaming monitor.

Note that you may not want to go to a 27" monitor at 1080p, this is just an example, look for something with freesync even at 24". The SE2418HX is the obvious example.

On the other hand, the (TN) gaming monitors in that price range are total poo poo for color accuracy and general IQ, so given your stated goals it sounds like you are barking up the right tree here.

Hey thanks for the advice. I found the LG-24MP59G which is a 1080p IPS with Freesync at 75Hz. It definitely fits my budget and is available in Japan where I live. Some brief googling suggest it has some IQ issues at 75hz though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No 34" UW with G-Sync does 144Hz yet. The two best ones out there right now are the Alienware 34" (one is 1440p, the other is 1080p - the more expensive one is how you easily tell them apart) and the Acer (apologies for the gibberish model number, but this is how you know you're getting the *updated* version) X34 Pbmiphzx, as opposed to the older model, which is just the X34.
Also looking for wisdom on this... about to buy an Acer x34 (or maybe the dell; seem similar) since these two seem to be the only large Gsync monitors, and curved seems nice. Higher res and refresh rate would be nice, but seems these are the best compromises. Anyone have alternatives?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Also looking for wisdom on this... about to buy an Acer x34 (or maybe the dell; seem similar) since these two seem to be the only large Gsync monitors, and curved seems nice. Higher res and refresh rate would be nice, but seems these are the best compromises. Anyone have alternatives?

Make sure you get the X34P, it's the 120Hz one and the older X34 is still quite common.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks; that's clutch advice. I was about to buy one that had ~60-100hz

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Quoting myself because this arrived and I tried it out. Believe it or not, it's actually holding up my U3014. I had to max out the tension to do so, but it works, and I don't see any noticeable sagging after an hour. We'll see how it holds up in the long-term.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rivid posted:

I ended up buying the Asus VA32AQ, but I didn't realize we've transcended HDMI cables. I'm only able to display at 1080 over HDMI and not 1440 even after updating my drivers. It sounds like I need to use DisplayPort to get up to 1440, the problem is I don't have that on my GPU.

Monitor input:
DisplayPort
HDMI
VGA

Video card output:
HDMI
DVI-D
VGA

I'm 95% sure I need to buy a new graphics card but I wanted to post here just to make sure that is the case.

A friend suggested that he has a DVI-D to HDMI cable he can bring over after work but I'm not sure that will work.

DVI-D to HDMI won't help you, from the perspective of a desktop monitor they're the same exact thing on different connectors.

What GPU do you have? HDMI 1.3 should have no trouble with 1440p, and at least the monitor's manual claims to support that mode.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Got my Dell Ultrasharp 24's today, My god they look amazing. Cant wait to color calibrate them. :catdrugs:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grundulum posted:

Is there any reason not to buy the LG 27UD58-B? Are Korean IPS monitors still comparable quality to their Japanese/American counterparts while being suspiciously cheaper? I only really want 27" IPS and 1440p at 60Hz. (Don't need 4K or 120+Hz.) The LG is less expensive than the Asus (PB278Q) or the Dell (U2515H) I looked at, but higher resolution.

Note: I am in Japan, so referring to Amazon.com prices doesn't help me. Amazon.co.jp is fine, if that floats your boat.

I have two of the LG 27UD58P-B (same monitor, but with the height-adjustable stand): It's a great buy for the price, very happy with it. Full 4k/60 Hz support on all inputs (you have to enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" in the menu first), and good picture quality (mine are pretty uniform, one of them has minimal backlight bleed). I would suggest setting Gamma as well as Smart Energy Saving to "off". The only thing of note is the relatively low maximum brightness, but it should certainly be bright enough for most environments.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fame Douglas posted:

I have two of the LG 27UD58P-B (same monitor, but with the height-adjustable stand): It's a great buy for the price, very happy with it. Full 4k/60 Hz support on all inputs (you have to enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" in the menu first), and good picture quality (mine are pretty uniform, one of them has minimal backlight bleed). I would suggest setting Gamma as well as Smart Energy Saving to "off". The only thing of note is the relatively low maximum brightness, but it should certainly be bright enough for most environments.

Interesting, I have a 27UD68 which is an older version and it’s extremely bright (painfully so over like 60%). My main complaint is black levels are pretty bad in a darkish room, no better than my old Dell U2412Ms

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have two Dell 2415s that were previously hooked up via daisychained DP cables. My GPU isn't working anymore so I'm stuck using the iGPU but unfortunately my motherboard only has one HDMI port. Is it not possible to daisychain HDMI to the first monitor and DP from that monitor to the next? I can't get it to work (the monitor says no signal is detected) and Google isn't helping because the only results I get are about HDMI to DP dongles.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44

wolrah posted:

DVI-D to HDMI won't help you, from the perspective of a desktop monitor they're the same exact thing on different connectors.

What GPU do you have? HDMI 1.3 should have no trouble with 1440p, and at least the monitor's manual claims to support that mode.

It's a Radeon HD 6670. And yeah the cable didn't work. I tried a couple different HDMI cables too including the one that came with it but no luck. Someone suggested turning off scaling in the catalyst control center so I'll try that when I got home.

Otherwise it's not a big deal, it's only a $40 card that's in there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have two Dell 2415s that were previously hooked up via daisychained DP cables. My GPU isn't working anymore so I'm stuck using the iGPU but unfortunately my motherboard only has one HDMI port. Is it not possible to daisychain HDMI to the first monitor and DP from that monitor to the next? I can't get it to work (the monitor says no signal is detected) and Google isn't helping because the only results I get are about HDMI to DP dongles.

HDMI can't daisy chain, no. I'm not sure if HDMI to DP converters would let you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rivid posted:

It's a Radeon HD 6670. And yeah the cable didn't work. I tried a couple different HDMI cables too including the one that came with it but no luck. Someone suggested turning off scaling in the catalyst control center so I'll try that when I got home.

Otherwise it's not a big deal, it's only a $40 card that's in there.

The Radeon HD 6670 has HDMI 1.4 support, so it *should* support 1440p with no trouble up to 90 Hz.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Wacky Delly posted:

HDMI can't daisy chain, no. I'm not sure if HDMI to DP converters would let you.

pretty sure a DP > Hdmi daisy chain would work from monitor 1 > monitor 2, if monitor 1 also had DP running to it. I have never had an HDMI > DP cable ever work though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wargames posted:

pretty sure a DP > Hdmi daisy chain would work from monitor 1 > monitor 2, if monitor 1 also had DP running to it. I have never had an HDMI > DP cable ever work though.

With an active DP->HDMI adapter, yes. Most adapters are passive and rely on the video card just switching the DP port in to HDMI mode. I've never actually seen an active DP->HDMI adapter because they're so rarely required, the most common use case for active adapters are DP->DVI-DL for people with old monitors. Not saying they don't exist of course, but you'd certainly have to look carefully and the cheap options are not going to work.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm looking into upgrading my monitor to a widescreen from my old 27" I-Inc: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3326540
I have a Radeon 5850 that I plan on upgrading in the near future and mostly use my PC for gaming.

Newegg has a sale on the Dell AW3418HW for $750 which is right around the price point that I was looking for. The only thing holding me back is that it's not a full 1440p display. Is there something else in that price range I should consider?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've been waiting a little while for the AW3418DW to go on sale.

It appears that this Acer monitor (which seems pretty similar) just went on sale on SlickDeals: https://slickdeals.net/f/11456859-a...earchBarV2Algo1

How much better is the Alienware vs. the Acer? I can keep waiting, but if there isn't much point to continuing to wait, maybe I'll grab this one instead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zarin posted:

I've been waiting a little while for the AW3418DW to go on sale.

It appears that this Acer monitor (which seems pretty similar) just went on sale on SlickDeals: https://slickdeals.net/f/11456859-a...earchBarV2Algo1

How much better is the Alienware vs. the Acer? I can keep waiting, but if there isn't much point to continuing to wait, maybe I'll grab this one instead.

The Acer X34P actually has a slightly more recent version of the panel the Alienware uses. However, the reason that one is $750 is that it's the Z35P, and it uses a cheaper VA panel, not IPS.

Even then, the AW/Dell panel is arguably a bit better simply because Dell's RMA service is way better than Acer's.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Acer X34P actually has a slightly more recent version of the panel the Alienware uses. However, the reason that one is $750 is that it's the Z35P, and it uses a cheaper VA panel, not IPS.

Even then, the AW/Dell panel is arguably a bit better simply because Dell's RMA service is way better than Acer's.

Good info! Thanks for that.

I'll go ahead and keep watching for a sale on the AW3418DW then.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

A week into April and no real news about the 4K 144hz HDR monitors :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zarin posted:

Good info! Thanks for that.

I'll go ahead and keep watching for a sale on the AW3418DW then.

$999 is a common sale price. Be sure to check Micro Center's website as well. They're an authorized Dell retailer and their shipping generally isn't horrible. It actually works a bit in your favor if you live in a state where they don't have B&M presence because you don't get dinged on tax.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/484980/Alienware_AW3418DW_341_IPS_WQHD_Curved_Gaming_LED_Monitor

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 8, 2018

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

A week into April and no real news about the 4K 144hz HDR monitors :(

well, two things need to happen:

1) we need interfaces that can actually push that many pixels / second
2) we need display tech that actually has the dynamic range for 10-bit+ color precision to make sense. it could be OLED or LCD with per-pixel dimming backlight, but neither of those are a thing yet.

without these conditions, you end up with severely compromised desings that no-one would want to buy - and then, what's the point of developing them and bringing them to market if they won't sell?

E: also, you're not going to have the graphics horsepower to comfortably drive 4k @ 144hz for at least 2 more generations, so you're looking at 2020-ish anyway.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently acquired another monitor. Monitor #1 is my main one, it has G-Sync. Monitor #2 is basically the same, but has no G-Sync. I have a glass table from Ikea. It’s pretty thick. What is the best way to display these two on my table? I’m thinking one on top of another. I don’t really want to do it side by side because I don’t want to turn my whole body to look at the monitor. And my desk doesn’t really have that much space. If I were to mount one on top of another, how would I do this? What mounting system do you guys suggest?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Standing-Vertical-STAND-V002H/dp/B00MTWCO1U/ref=br_lf_m_55fsegk2m9zp3yr_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=pc

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44

wolrah posted:

The Radeon HD 6670 has HDMI 1.4 support, so it *should* support 1440p with no trouble up to 90 Hz.

Got a response from Sapphire on my support ticket today:

quote:

yes for this card 1440 resolution is only supported through DVI port, also native DVI port which means you cannot use any adapters.

Which explains why the DVI to HDMI cable doesn't work. Looks like I'm getting a new video card.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone have personal feedback of the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27 inch? Real close to biting the bullet and buying it but a lot of Amazon reviews say it has awful quality control and there's so many reviews complaining of terrible backlight bleeding.

I just want a decent 1440p gaming monitor.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Q8ee posted:

Anyone have personal feedback of the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27 inch? Real close to biting the bullet and buying it but a lot of Amazon reviews say it has awful quality control and there's so many reviews complaining of terrible backlight bleeding.

I just want a decent 1440p gaming monitor.

I had two of them: Both were fine, pretty much no backlight bleed or uniformity problems with mine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

I had two of them: Both were fine, pretty much no backlight bleed or uniformity problems with mine.

Awesome. I'll take that as a recommendation. Any other monitors that you'd suggest I look at as potential challengers?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Q8ee posted:

Awesome. I'll take that as a recommendation. Any other monitors that you'd suggest I look at as potential challengers?

The XB271HU is around the same price and has a slightly newer panel with a better chance of not having BLB etc. It's mostly a wash though, I've owned both and currently have the PG279Q

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm going for the XB271HU, it was £550 on the 6th April, I just missed out on a good deal. I've put a price watch and will swipe it up the next time it drops again. There's a website that is still offering it for that price, but I want to wait until Amazon drops their price again cause I much prefer their customer service.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Q8ee posted:

I'm going for the XB271HU, it was £550 on the 6th April, I just missed out on a good deal. I've put a price watch and will swipe it up the next time it drops again. There's a website that is still offering it for that price, but I want to wait until Amazon drops their price again cause I much prefer their customer service.

Those are kind of the default recommendations for the thread. I have the Asus because it was cheaper when I bought. Wouldn't have had any qualms about getting the Acer if it had been the cheaper one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rivid posted:

Got a response from Sapphire on my support ticket today:

That is...strange.

I guess they must have cheaped out on the TMDS transmitters so maybe it can't hit the full clock speed or something.