Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Used a water based stain. A single application was all it needed to turn out a nice color.

Finish was many coats of polyurethane, which should last a very long time. I actually did 3 tables. One was a computer desk on motorized legs for sitting/standing, and the other two are craft tables with the $4 IKEA legs on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

twitch and spasm posted:

What's the cheapest 32" 4k ips display I can get?

Seems like this monoprice one. It's probably a korean special they rebranded but if it works, then it might be good:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8SV7434675
for a name brand there's refurbished BenQ units for around $500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BenQ-PD3200U-32-100-Rec-709-and-sRGB-4ms-GTG-20M-1-DCR-4K-IPS-Monitor/192577456489

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If it's Monoprice, keep an eye out on eBay. They've been giving out a lot of promo codes recently, and Monoprice does a ton of inventory clearing via eBay.

EDIT: PERFECTDAY takes 15% (up to $100 total) off any eBay purchase until midnight Eastern tonight, and here's the link to it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/32in-4K-HD...~AAAOSwomVbI1q9

That sole reviewer *really* seems to not like the display, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 30, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For those of you looking to pick up a Dell S2417DG, Newegg has them on sale for $330: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551

Yes, it's TN, but as has been repeatedly stated in this thread, it's a "good TN," it's 165Hz, and it has GSync. If you don't want to pay the $700+ for a high-Hz IPS, this is the screen to get.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrDork posted:

For those of you looking to pick up a Dell S2417DG, Newegg has them on sale for $330: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551

Yes, it's TN, but as has been repeatedly stated in this thread, it's a "good TN," it's 165Hz, and it has GSync. If you don't want to pay the $700+ for a high-Hz IPS, this is the screen to get.

This is the 24” that everyone hates not the 27” that people love.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
God drat it, I knew it looked like too good a deal.

eames
May 9, 2009

DrDork posted:

God drat it, I knew it looked like too good a deal.

I have no idea what the other poster is referring to but the 24" is fine if you are ok with the size and don't have unrealistic expectations for a TN gaming panel.
The smaller version has fewer QC/IQ issues (BLB, color banding, pixel inversion), tracks closer to 2.2 gamma than with the 27" and there's less gamma shift (due to the smaller panel size). It's exceptionally good value for a 1440p/165Hz G-Sync monitor at $330.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 30, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DrDork posted:

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is the 24” that everyone hates not the 27” that people love.

Hello, I own this. I do not hate it and despite the color banding, I'm glad I got this monitor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question!

Right now I use a 42 inch LG 1080p TV as my monitor and its been working great for the past 6 years but I just upgraded my PC to a 1080 Ti and I'd really like to get a better monitor to really take advantage of the new hardware.

My budget is about $600-700 and I'd really like to stay the same size but I'd be willing to drop down if I were getting a much better monitor.

Would it be worth it just to get a 4k TV with HDR and just kinda keep doing what I'm doing or are there monitors that I should be looking at?

This is mainly for gaming.

Would something like this be a good upgrade or should I be looking for some HDR hotness?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-ME0AA-001-ET430K-LED-Monitor/dp/B072BL5QK4

like this lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...p?skuId=6115611

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 1, 2018

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
TVs make terrible monitors. Get an XB271HU bmiprz (27", 1440p, 144-165hz, IPS, G-Sync) and stop sitting so far away from your monitor. Keep the TV for media if you want.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

K8.0 posted:

TVs make terrible monitors. Get an XB271HU bmiprz (27", 1440p, 144-165hz, IPS, G-Sync) and stop sitting so far away from your monitor. Keep the TV for media if you want.

Well I won't deny that they don't it just seems like 27 is kinda small after going from a 42.

Most of the 40+ I'm looking at only have a 60 hz refresh rate though.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I just bought the Dell 27" 2k monitor for 400$. My wife was shocked at how much it cost. This monitor better be worth it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MarcusSA posted:

Well I won't deny that they don't it just seems like 27 is kinda small after going from a 42.

Most of the 40+ I'm looking at only have a 60 hz refresh rate though.

Well is your current TV set up as close to you as possible? I only have a 37" TV and it hasn't felt too small since it's usually close enough to touch it with my foot.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I got the LG 27UK600-W 4k HDR IPS from Best Buy for $400 and I'm in love with it. I also saved a good $80-90 from the 27UK650 on Amazon since the only difference is the stand on the 600 doesn't have height adjustment... so I threw it on an Amazon Basics monitor stand I already had and it's amazing.

A few months ago, I got a pair of Dell 25" QHDs and took them back because the factory color calibration was all wonky. I had my heart set on downsizing from my old 27" to a 24-25" because the 27 felt too big and I would have to "look up", but the relatively small bezel and being able to lower it almost all the way to the desk with the custom stand makes it absolutely perfect.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 1, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Well is your current TV set up as close to you as possible? I only have a 37" TV and it hasn't felt too small since it's usually close enough to touch it with my foot.

Well this is my current set up with a 1080p 42 inch TV / Monitor.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Well this is my current set up with a 1080p 42 inch TV / Monitor.

If you have a 27 inch screen at about 64% of that distance it should cover roughly the same proportion of your vision (27/42=.64). Eyeballing it, that would probably be just past the end of your keyboard (depending on your posture). The Acer XB271HU sits pretty far forward on its mount, so it should be pretty easy to move it closer. You might find that you enjoy not having to move your head around as much, though! If you want to just try it out, you could pick up a refurbished one from Best Buy and take advantage of their 15 day refund policy if you don't like it.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 2, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stickman posted:

If you have a 27 inch screen at about 64% of that distance it should cover roughly the same proportion of your vision (27/42=.64). Eyeballing it, that would probably be just past the end of your keyboard (depending on your posture). The Acer XB271HU sits pretty far forward on its mount, so it should be pretty easy to move it closer. You might find that you enjoy not having to move your head around as much, though! If you want to just try it out, though, you could pick up a refurbished one from Best Buy and take advantage of their 15 day refund policy if you don't like it.

This is awesome thanks! I actually just got back from Best Buy and I picked up

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-cb281hk-28-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor-black/5775200.p?skuId=5775200

I know it’s not the one suggested but! It was an open box and it was $200 out the door. I know the suggested one is definitely better but it’s hard to beat the price.

I’m gonna play around with it for a bit and if it doesn’t work out I’ll just push it to my second monitor and get the suggested Acer.

It also gives me some time to see if we get any good options over the next few months.

I also hooked it up and tested it before I took it so it works and looks great to my 40 year old lovely eyes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

MarcusSA posted:

Right now I use a 42 inch LG 1080p TV as my monitor and its been working great for the past 6 years but I just upgraded my PC to a 1080 Ti and I'd really like to get a better monitor to really take advantage of the new hardware.

Alternatively you might like to experiment with Dynamic Super Resolution in the nvidia control panel - this will definitely take advantage of your new hardware.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

This is awesome thanks! I actually just got back from Best Buy and I picked up

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-cb281hk-28-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor-black/5775200.p?skuId=5775200

I know it’s not the one suggested but! It was an open box and it was $200 out the door. I know the suggested one is definitely better but it’s hard to beat the price.

I’m gonna play around with it for a bit and if it doesn’t work out I’ll just push it to my second monitor and get the suggested Acer.

It also gives me some time to see if we get any good options over the next few months.

I also hooked it up and tested it before I took it so it works and looks great to my 40 year old lovely eyes.

The 28" 4K screens are really, really bad. They were basically pushed out at the start of the craze to get the cheapest panel with a big "4K" sticker on the box. If you are happy with it then keep it, but there is a reason it was on firesale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

The 28" 4K screens are really, really bad. They were basically pushed out at the start of the craze to get the cheapest panel with a big "4K" sticker on the box. If you are happy with it then keep it, but there is a reason it was on firesale.

It seems ok for now :shrug:

Like I said its a cheap enough stop gap that I can move to my second monitor when the new hotness comes out.

EDITL: I did do some research and didn't see anything jump out about this monitor. What would the issue be exactly?

OK! Second question! Besides the refresh only being 60hz what would be the issue with this monitor? Its IPS and has HDR on the display port.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/monopr...I4Q.XdkGiJ0RXLw

its $340.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 2, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MarcusSA posted:

It seems ok for now :shrug:

Like I said its a cheap enough stop gap that I can move to my second monitor when the new hotness comes out.

EDITL: I did do some research and didn't see anything jump out about this monitor. What would the issue be exactly?

OK! Second question! Besides the refresh only being 60hz what would be the issue with this monitor? Its IPS and has HDR on the display port.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/monopr...I4Q.XdkGiJ0RXLw

its $340.

Well, it's definitely not real HDR, there are a ton of monitors that claim to be HDR but don't actually fulfill the requirements for it, in this case the monitor you linked can receive an HDR signal but can't actually produce HDR images. Unless the monitor has 1000 nits brightness, FALD and 10 bit color it's not really HDR. Anyway, that monitor might be a perfectly nice one but you should ignore the HDR part because it's BS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, it's definitely not real HDR, there are a ton of monitors that claim to be HDR but don't actually fulfill the requirements for it, in this case the monitor you linked can receive an HDR signal but can't actually produce HDR images. Unless the monitor has 1000 nits brightness, FALD and 10 bit color it's not really HDR. Anyway, that monitor might be a perfectly nice one but you should ignore the HDR part because it's BS.

Yeah I actually just read that on a few reddit posts.

Man this monitor poo poo is way too complicated.

I'm going to give a shot anyway and see how it looks vs that Acer I bought. I can always take the Acer back to bestbuy since it was an open box anyway.

Thanks for the help though. Thats good information.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are Dell G-Sync monitors generally good? I see ASUS and others have their own offerings, but I really hate gamer aesthetic nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0 seems like a decent price for 27 inches.

I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor, 24 inches. I want to use this new monitor for gaming. Am I going to benefit from G-Sync if my GPU is a GTX 1070 and my CPU is a i7 8700?

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

buglord posted:

Are Dell G-Sync monitors generally good? I see ASUS and others have their own offerings, but I really hate gamer aesthetic nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0 seems like a decent price for 27 inches.

I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor, 24 inches. I want to use this new monitor for gaming. Am I going to benefit from G-Sync if my GPU is a GTX 1070 and my CPU is a i7 8700?

The Dell ones use TN panels, granted very, very good quality TN panels but TN nonetheless. The Acer XB271HU bmiprz and Asus PG279Q use IPS panels and will look a bit better than the Dell head on and obviously have much better viewing angles, they are a good bit more expensive so it's up to you if you feel IPS is worth it.

Gsync has benefits for just about any configuration, but you see the most benefits most in lower frame rate situations where it smoothes out the sharp frame rate transitions you would see under normal Vsync, like snapping between 60FPS and 30FPS because you went from 62 FPS to 58 FPS during a scene.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Gsync has benefits for just about any configuration, but you see the most benefits most in lower frame rate situations where it smoothes out the sharp frame rate transitions you would see under normal Vsync, like snapping between 60FPS and 30FPS because you went from 62 FPS to 58 FPS during a scene.

I know I could google it but I really wouldn't know what to look for so do you or anyone have a good youtube video that shows / explains this? Like I get what you are saying but I'd really like to see it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I know I could google it but I really wouldn't know what to look for so do you or anyone have a good youtube video that shows / explains this? Like I get what you are saying but I'd really like to see it.

Well, I think it's sort of hard to demonstrate in a video, I have a Gsync display and it's very apparent when playing a game but less so in cutscenes and such. If you turn on Vsync to prevent tearing and the game is running at 58 FPS what you actually see will be 30 FPS because of how Vsync works, Gsync would actually display 58 FPS, since the transitions in frame rate are much smaller it leads to the game feeling much smoother. Anyway, here is a video, I don't think it really gives a good demonstration of the difference but you can still see a difference in favor of Gsync: https://youtu.be/QU8dnhFZKmM

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Normal double buffered vsync will just drop right down to half refresh rate if it can't consistently render a scene faster than the full refresh rate. Which looks pretty bad and jarring if you're dropping from 60 to 30.

Even with a triple buffer or with vsync disabled a you'd be bouncing between 16.7ms and 33.3ms frametimes, testufo has a "simulation" of what variable refresh looks like compared to this:

https://www.testufo.com/vrr (uses interpolated frames to simulate a variable framerate which isn't as sharp as the real thing)

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 2, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell ones use TN panels, granted very, very good quality TN panels but TN nonetheless. The Acer XB271HU bmiprz and Asus PG279Q use IPS panels and will look a bit better than the Dell head on and obviously have much better viewing angles, they are a good bit more expensive so it's up to you if you feel IPS is worth it.

IPS has been nice so far when it comes to viewing angles, but the quality of the image or colors didn't seem to do much for me compared to my old acer TN. Everything looks like poo when compared to my macbook retina screen.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

buglord posted:

Everything looks like poo when compared to my macbook retina screen.

This is mostly due to a nice backlight and using a glossy screen vs the matte Dells; the MBr panels are IPS--nice ones, but they don't really have any magic special sauce.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hey it's that cheap but good monitor that everyone likes on sale for $400 with $100 GC.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11759855-dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg-100-gc-399-99?src=pdw

eames
May 9, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

You don't feel like you're missing out on anything, then you experience it and think "wow this is so much nicer and smoother". Eventually you get used to it and then it's almost jarring when you switch back to a monitor without it. High refresh rates and G-Sync are pretty similar in that regard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hey it's that cheap but good monitor that everyone likes on sale for $400 with $100 GC.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11759855-dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg-100-gc-399-99?src=pdw

Just a reminder that those Dell e-Certs are only good for 90 days.

Also, Dell has the 3418DW back at $999: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acc...004174058612770

Micro Center's already matched it: http://www.microcenter.com/product/484980/Alienware_AW3418DW_341_UW-QHD_120Hz_HDMI_DP_G-Sync_Curved_Gaming_LED_Monitor

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 2, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just a reminder that those Dell e-Certs are only good for 90 days.

Also, Dell has the 3418DW back at $999: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acc...004174058612770

Micro Center's already matched it: http://www.microcenter.com/product/484980/Alienware_AW3418DW_341_UW-QHD_120Hz_HDMI_DP_G-Sync_Curved_Gaming_LED_Monitor

OK this one seems to tick a lot of the boxes and yeah its expensive but what does it rate on the awesome scale? I'm kinda ready to pull the trigger on it.

Eh gently caress it the Mono price one already shipped I'll just stick with that haha.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 2, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone have a way to fix XB271HU's speakers from not showing up without restarting windows? I tried turning the monitor off and then on. I suppose I could try net stop audiosrv, net start audiosrv.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Khorne posted:

Anyone have a way to fix XB271HU's speakers from not showing up without restarting windows? I tried turning the monitor off and then on. I suppose I could try net stop audiosrv, net start audiosrv.

I'm not sure what you mean? They always show up as a device for me, at least in Win10.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? They always show up as a device for me, at least in Win10.
They're showing up as a device but disconnected. I haven't restarted in a while and don't plan to.

Because it shows up as disconnected I can't try to direct sound through them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Khorne posted:

They're showing up as a device but disconnected. I haven't restarted in a while and don't plan to.

Odd, never had that happen as far as I know, though I probably would not notice since I keep the volume for them at 0 and use my actual speakers for sound from my computer. Maybe try unplugging the monitor from the computer and plugging it back in?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I have a Acer XB271HU bmiprz on the way, and had a question. I'm going to be using it with my laptop for now, which has a 1.4 hdmi port and a 1.2 mini displayport.

From what I was reading the hdmi won't support 1440 above 60 Hz. Do I just buy any old mdp to dp cable, or do I need some kind of converter or something?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

mem posted:

Do I just buy any old mdp to dp cable, or do I need some kind of converter or something?

mDP -> normal DP is just a dumb/passive physical adapter, so it should cost you <$5. You can also get complete cables with mDP on one end and DP on the other, if you want to make your life even easier, and those should be ~$10 depending on how long you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
are there any monitors that aren't made in china? I am looking for a monitor that isn't stamped "made in china" on the back, at virtually any price.

any country will work, as long as that country is not the people's republic of china.