Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Aexo posted:

Welp.

Is IPS G-Sync (disregarding my previous size/resolution constraint) desirable? Or am I just expecting too much?

They are desirable, just costly over TN/VA panels. 24" is the rare bird though if you wanted G-Sync and 1440p. I bought the Dell S2417DG which is all of that, just with a TN panel which most view as not great due to the color banding, but because I tempered my expectations and also me trading in some old electronics to Best Buy, I ended up with one for 80 bucks out of pocket during this year's Memorial Day sale and I'm actually quite content with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Modern thin bezel monitors have changed what sizes work a bit - my 27" LG panel (sadly Freesync only) is barely larger physically than my old 16:10 U2412s

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Fry's has the XB271HU IPS for 420 bucks - is this a good idea?

https://www.frys.com/product/8698300?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

edit: no shipping, whyyyy

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 8, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Fry's has the XB271HU IPS for 420 bucks - is this a good idea?

https://www.frys.com/product/8698300?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

That's the lowest price it's been since the Costco clearance (which was $449-499, cheaper for floor displays and in special circumstances), I think - and seeing as people routinely snap up the 2417DG for $399 as a 'great deal,' and that's a TN panel (albeit a very good one), if you've been waiting for a well-priced 1440p G-Sync IPS, I'd jump on that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I would get that one, especially since in freedom hating EU they go for ~900$ at the lowest.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Yeah I instantly had to edit my post because for whatever reason they won't ship it to Washington, or maybe in general?

Unless I can find some online price match or something, I don't think Best Buy even has it except Refurbished stuff

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Yeah I instantly had to edit my post because for whatever reason they won't ship it to Washington, or maybe in general?

Unless I can find some online price match or something, I don't think Best Buy even has it except Refurbished stuff

I just looked - the only store that showed 'available' was Duluth, GA - and it mentioned something about a display model.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Aexo posted:

Welp.

Is IPS G-Sync (disregarding my previous size/resolution constraint) desirable? Or am I just expecting too much?

It's really, really good. I was in the same boat as you thinking I would prefer to stay at 24"/1080p, but after getting my 27"/1440p/165Hz/IPS/Gsync monitor I have no regrets, it barely fits on my desk but the experience is well worth it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I had a couple of days to stare in awe at my new BenQ PD3200Q. Coming from a bog standard 24" TN panel, it's like I can now see for the first time. Those colors! Those viewing angles!

It has a slight glow in the bottom left corner but it's only noticeable when the screen is fully black, and since I am not going to watch movies on it, it should almost never be a problem. Also it is a little slow to react, but for my use that's absolutely a non issue. I can not recommend it for anyone who wants to play fast-moving games seriously, but I guess that is a given.

Pivoting it to portrait mode, it's freakishly huge and I absolutely love it, the PPI of 92 is just perfect and I wouldn't get a 27" 1440p, it would just be too tiny without scaling for me.

Also it feels like a very, very sturdy and well thought out monitor. The hotkey pick to control the screen looked like a gimmick but with a screen this big you sometimes want to get up and get some distance, and being able to change picture mode or settings from 3 feet away is good. Heck even sitting at the desk I prefer it to fumbling with touch buttons and the like.

Bad note for the BenQ software which works but is slow and clunky. Nothing major but I am going to check if I can replace it with some better software to handle auto pivoting and other features.

All in all, great bang for my buck, if you don't need a gaming screen or 4k this is awesome for 450€.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 8, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I’m not getting a new monitor just yet, but how big a transition is 24” to 27”? Anything adjustments that have to be made?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I'm strongly/stupidly considering taking advantage of the 15% eBay code and getting a Dell AW3418DW for $900

I feel better about it being sold by Dell, albeit through eBay, instead of from someplace like Rakuten. Might just be rationalizing on my part though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ufarn posted:

I’m not getting a new monitor just yet, but how big a transition is 24” to 27”? Anything adjustments that have to be made?

http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

as you can see, not much size wise. It mostly depends if you're also getting a higher resolution: a 24 inch 1080p vs 27 inch 1080p wouldn't make that much difference, you get about 26% more screen space and the same resolution so things are going to look about 26% bigger.

if you compare a 24 inch 1080p vs a 27 inch 1440p, that's a different thing altogether... since you're increasing size by 25% but resolution by about 70% if my math isn't off, so everything will look quite a bit smaller (assuming 100% scaling) and thus more crisp, but more tiring/difficult to read.

look up DPI if you want to know more about it, the "standard" DPI that Windows assumes is 92 DPI which corresponds to 24" 1080p (or 32" 1440p), while a 27" 1080p has 82 DPI and a 27" 1440p has 109 DPI.

If you have an opportunity to check various displays in a store, do so because it's something that is very, very personal: I find 92 DPI already small enough and would never want a display with higher DPI, even if scaling can "fix" the text dimension. Other people may find that 92 DPI is big and ugly and prefer higher DPI. Yet other people (possibly half-blind old men?) will prefer lower DPI.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Maybe discussed here in the past, but how bad is this Blue-light threat from current monitors?

https://futurism.com/blue-light-blindness-retinal/

My impression from the article is it's not a big threat to the young'ens, due to them having robust eye metabolisms, but dangerous for older farts like me.

My recent glasses Rx had the blue-light protection coating automatically ordered. Wasn't happy about it at first but now glad they applied it.

What does this mean for VR screens? With VR headsets you are jamming blue-light emitters right up against your eyeballs.

EDIT: replaced article with a more informative one.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nnnotime posted:

Maybe discussed here in the past, but how bad is this Blue-light threat from current monitors?

https://futurism.com/blue-light-blindness-retinal/

My impression from the article is it's not a big threat to the young'ens, due to them having robust eye metabolisms, but dangerous for older farts like me.

My recent glasses Rx had the blue-light protection coating automatically ordered. Wasn't happy about it at first but now glad they applied it.

What does this mean for VR screens? With VR headsets you are jamming blue-light emitters right up against your eyeballs.

EDIT: replaced article with a more informative one.

My understanding from the brief discussion in the pseudoscience thread is that the article you reference overstates the results, which currently point to very minor risk.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Local parts store is having some kind of sale on LG IPS Freesync monitors right at the time I'm looking at upgrading the monitor on my gaming machine, and now I'm paralyzed with indecision. I could get a 29" 21:9 ultrawide for about $320 (it was $250 yesterday, but I couldn't get out to the store then and apparently they rethought that decision overnight), but I could also get a 27" 16:9 for $300 -- which loses the ultrawideness, but is a bigger screen in general -- or a 24" 16:9 for $200 with an eye towards getting two more at some point for an Eyefinity setup. I'm not sure how widely supported Eyefinity is or how well it'll work with three flat monitors, though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
27" 1440p >> 29" 1080p, which I assume is the decision you're trying to make there. Ultrawide should only be done on 3440x1440; 2560x1080 is kinda awkward unless you have some specific use-case in mind for it. There are also a few games out there that still refuse to support 21:9 properly because reasons (*cough* MHW *cough* Overwatch *cough*), which is another small point in favor of the 27".

Eyefinity works, since once you set it up it simply presents everything as one unified monitor as far as applications are concerned. But pushing 3x1080p on anything AMD can offer these days is asking quite a lot, so most modern games are gonna struggle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They're all 1080p; I'm wary of going above that since so many games completely poo poo the bed on anything above that, UI-wise. And with 2560×1080 I can at least turn it down 1920×1080 and still have 1:1 display for games that don't support 21:9. (Also, there's no way I'd get a 27" 1440p IPS Freesync monitor here for less than $500 without murdering someone for it.)

Good point on Eyefinity performance, I have an RX480 so that's probably going to have trouble driving a 5760×1080 display on recent games, and older games are more likely to do something dumb like try to stretch the HUD across that entire expanse or put all the UI elements on the side monitors or something when handed a display that large -- I spent a bit of time this morning browsing WSGF and wow, there's a lot of ways no or half-assed Eyefinity/wraparound support can go wrong. I mean, I can always turn off the side monitors for games that have those issues, but in that case why spend the money on Eyefinity in the first place? There's no specific game I want it for, so it's probably not worth it.

So it comes down to a choice between single monitors -- 24" 1920×1080 (531×299mm) for $200, 27" 1920×1080 (598×336mm) for $300, or 29" 2560×1080 (677×290mm) for $320 turns out I misread the website, a very similar model is $320, this one is still $250.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can’t recall a game loving up its UI on 1440p, but I don’t wander the classic GOG catalog or anything. What do you have in mind?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
27"@1080p is not great for most people. If you can go to the store and check them out and decide you like it, then have at. Otherwise, in that it's only a $50 difference, I might actually consider the 29" widescreen if I could confirm it will do 1:1. There are some cheaper widescreens that won't, and will force-stretch any signal fed to it across the entire screen, which is...not ideal.

Where are you that a basic 27" 1440p IPS Freesync monitor is $500?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I can’t recall a game loving up its UI on 1440p, but I don’t wander the classic GOG catalog or anything. What do you have in mind?

I play a lot of older games, and a lot of not-so-old indie games (or big-studio games with halfassed PC ports) that either don't have UI scaling at all, or didn't bother to provide scaled elements above 1080p. Playing an RTS or RPG where all the controls are loving tiny encrustations in the corner of the screen is just buckets of fun, for example.

DrDork posted:

27"@1080p is not great for most people. If you can go to the store and check them out and decide you like it, then have at. Otherwise, in that it's only a $50 difference, I might actually consider the 29" widescreen if I could confirm it will do 1:1. There are some cheaper widescreens that won't, and will force-stretch any signal fed to it across the entire screen, which is...not ideal.

I didn't even consider that, even my cheapass 22" 1680x1050 monitor supports 1:1. Some quick googling and reading the manual doesn't answer the question one way or another, but assume that if it didn't support 1:1 people would be complaining about it. Other monitors in that family do appear to support 1:1 based on user reports. (It's a LG LG 29UM59-P, btw.)

quote:

Where are you that a basic 27" 1440p IPS Freesync monitor is $500?

Ontario, Canada. My local computer parts store only has two such monitors and the cheapest is $500. I can get one cheaper by ordering from Newegg or the like but then the shipping costs wipe out the savings. (For US readers, that's US$380, which may sound less insane. The LG monitor I'm looking at is normally US$270, on sale for US$190.)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Like everybody, I'm looking for a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor. The Dell S2716DGR is pretty attractive since Best Buy has it for $370. How much am I missing out from IPS? I am going to be upgrading from a U2312HM, an old 1080p IPS monitor

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 14, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Like everybody, I'm looking for a 27" 144p Gsync monitor. The Dell S2716DGR is pretty attractive since Best Buy has it for $370. How much am I missing out from IPS? I am going to be upgrading from a U2312HM, an old 1080p IPS monitor

i have a QHD+ IPS monitor thats considered one of the better ones out there. it looks amazing.

i have the same monitor that you're looking at that i use almost exclusively for gaming (also, typing this post on)

if you're buying it for the right purpose and dont want to spend ~$700 i really do not think youll be disappointed. especially coming from what you have now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Got the monitor and set it up last night, figured I'd type up some thoughts.

Hardware
- Easy to put together.
- Very solid construction, stand is heavy plastic over a metal core
- Backside ports are exposed metal and kind of cheap-looking but this also makes them easy to find and plug/unplug by touch, and there's no useless cable cover to get in the way
- Rather than a line of buttons it has a single clickable four-way joystick, which is way easier to use; I want other monitor companies to adopt this
- Uses a wall wart rather than a standard power cable, and comes with an HDMI cable
- No speakers, but has a 3.5mm audio jack on the back in case you need to use HDMI audio with it. No idea how good the DAC is, though.

Software
- Drivers come on CD and the drivers you can download from their website don't work (at least on win10) but the drivers windows picks up automatically work fine
- FreeSync needs to be enabled from the OSD, but once enabled the system sees it and automatically uses it with no fuss whatsoever
- It does 1:1 pillarboxed display of 1920×1080, for both borderless fullscreen and modeswitched games. I haven't tried modeswitched games at lower resolutions yet, but if it fails on those I can always turn on GPU scaling
- Reports as an audio sink to the OS, which means windows tries to send sound to it rather than to the actual speakers whenever it gets unplugged and plugged back in again, but I'm pretty sure this is the OS's fault and not the monitor's

Also, it looks great.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Statutory Ape posted:

i have a QHD+ IPS monitor thats considered one of the better ones out there. it looks amazing.

i have the same monitor that you're looking at that i use almost exclusively for gaming (also, typing this post on)

if you're buying it for the right purpose and dont want to spend ~$700 i really do not think youll be disappointed. especially coming from what you have now.

It'd be for gaming, which is assume is the right purpose

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Wound up going with the Asus PG279Q... I kept waffling on TN or IPS and I think ultimately I'll be happier with IPS.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It'd be for gaming, which is assume is the right purpose

Just do it

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hi I have a desktop workstation with a dumb quadro gpu that only has display port and DVI outputs and an even dumber ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor (edit: specifically an LG 25UM58 ) that only has HDMI inputs.

I am looking at getting a DP to HDMI adapter cable but many of them say they handle up to Full HD 1920x1080. Is there a specific feature specification or whatever that I should look for an adapter cable to support to guarantee it will work here? I've had a lot of weird display port issues and incompatibilities in the past and just want to be sure I get the right thing.

Edit: well I went to OfficeDepot and got a "Ativa Displayport to HDMI cable", which claims it supports "full 1080p/4K UltraHD resolution with digital audio". Now that the monitor is connected, i can see the windows boot menu, and the monitor OSD complains/warns that the the screen is in the wrong 1920x1080 resolution. Then if i try to boot into windows the screen goes black. If I go into safe mode, the monitor works ok, but I can still only select up to 1920x1080. Attempting to boot into regular non-safe-mode result in blank screen every time.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 14, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Instead of having to do DP > HDMI, you'd have probably been better off going DVI > HDMI, since HDMI = DVI with an audio channel and a smaller connector.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2404

2560x1080 shouldn't be requiring Dual Link bandwidth.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Recommend me a monitor please.

Currently I have a Radeon HD 7800 series 2GB 1050MHz card. I'm using two monitors on my desktop: my primary is a Samsung S24B30BL (1920x1080), and I use a ViewSonic VX2235wm (1680x1050) as a secondary/side monitor. When I'm working (from home) I use my work laptop and switch the secondary monitor to run off my laptop, and when I'm not working, both monitors run from my desktop.

I use the monitors for ordinary internet and for some gaming. Usually not high-performance gaming: I tend to avoid first person shooter type games, but currently I am playing the new Battletech game from Hairbrained/Paradox. It's a turn-based game and that's what I generally favor, so while I would like decent FPS and good visual performance at high detail levels, super high FPS under heavy conditions is not a top consideration.

I also do some amateur photography and edit my photos on my computer using lightroom... but I am not serious enough to care deeply about perfect color reproduction or whatnot.

I am concerned about eye strain. I'm 43, I stare at a monitor for at least 12 hours a day and sometimes more like 16. I would also like to have a marginally larger monitor. Going to just a single wide monitor where I can stick something off to the side while playing a game would be cool, but I'm also OK with continuing to use either of my current monitors as side displays. I am fine with replacing my video card if doing so is worthwhile at this point.

I can easily spend around $400. I can justify going to maybe $600 if it's a significant and clear upgrade. Assume I have unlimited desk space, because while I actually don't, I am probably replacing my desk pretty soon and can work with whatever size. I don't care at all about audio in the monitor since I prefer a separate speaker system. I'm generally sitting about arm length from the screen, but can move it a little closer or maybe four to six inches further away if need be.

I'm in the US, have amazon prime, live a few blocks from a Frys and a couple miles from a Best Buy, and that's all I can think of that is relevant but ask away if I forgot anything.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
I've been looking at this 240hz 24" monitor on NewEgg. Is this a good monitor? At this price point?

I mainly want to surf the Internet, watch streams, and play Overwatch and my Steam games on it. I have a laptop currently, it's pretty good for being 2 years old and relatively cheap for a gaming laptop, so I'd be hooking it up to the monitor. The laptop only has a 60hz refresh rate and because I had to move it back, onto the counter behind my desk, it's a bit far away for my liking (and I keep having to up the font on my screen). Also, my laptop uses Nvidia 1060 (3 gb). Is that going to be a problem with the monitor using AMD technology apparently?

Katreus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Katreus posted:

I've been looking at this 240hz 24" monitor on NewEgg. Is this a good monitor? At this price point?

I mainly want to surf the Internet, watch streams, and play Overwatch and my Steam games on it. I have a laptop currently, it's pretty good for being 2 years old and relatively cheap for a gaming laptop, so I'd be hooking it up to the monitor. The laptop only has a 60hz refresh rate and because I had to move it back, onto the counter behind my desk, it's a bit far away for my liking (and I keep having to up the font on my screen). Also, my laptop uses Nvidia 1060 (3 gb). Is that going to be a problem with the monitor using AMD technology apparently?

I can't vouch for that particular monitor, but I don't think you're going to get 240 Hz out of that laptop. It's not that the monitor is Freesync which isn't used by nVidia, it's that generally you need either DP or a recent revision of HDMI (2+ for 240 Hz) to get those high refresh rates. Plus, laptops in particular are weird with how their connectors are wired, i.e. the dGPU's output might be routed through the iGPU, the latter actually connected to the outputs and not supporting as high a refresh rate as the same dGPU would in a desktop configuration.

I tested out a similar laptop (1060 6 GB) and monitor (Acer Freesync 144 Hz) combination for another goon recently, and that laptop (the Helios 300) was widely variable in which monitors it would support >60 Hz on; some worked fine, this monitor in particular required a custom configuration in Windows to get only 120 Hz (it works as expected at 144 Hz when connected to an nVidia desktop GPU.) So will that monitor work with your laptop? Yes, but I'd be skeptical of getting 240 Hz out of it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'm still waiting on my new monitor to arrive along with all the parts to make my new gaming rig and maybe it's better suited for the Operating system thread, but I'll give it a go here.

Is it possible to clone displays at different resolutions but equal aspect ratios? I'd like to use my old PC as my encoding/streaming PC but it looks like capture cards capture at 1080p@60fps

edit: I guess NDI has made the two computer setup super easy do I guess the above doesn't really matter anymore.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 15, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a good super-cheap anti-glare solution? Open to DIY stuff. It looks like ones for a 27" monitor are about $30, which is more than I want to spend right now. I'm on medical leave, so money is tight. But if something is really dark on my screen I pretty much can't see when it's light out because there's a lovely poster in the way.

Alternately, is there anything that you can change in the monitor settings to overcome glare?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

What about moving the monitor/desk to reduce the glare, or getting better blinds for the window?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Been using a custom ultrawide 3840 x 1600 on my LG Oled. GTA V is pretty dope even with the black bars top and bottom. Anyone else tried ultrawide on a 4k tv?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Despair posted:

What about moving the monitor/desk to reduce the glare, or getting better blinds for the window?

That's what I was thinking, but even putting a piece of cardboard between the window and the desk didn't help. I think the room lights alone are enough. Never had this happen before, but I've never had a monitor like this either. Dell S2740L, first non-matte screen.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's what I was thinking, but even putting a piece of cardboard between the window and the desk didn't help. I think the room lights alone are enough. Never had this happen before, but I've never had a monitor like this either. Dell S2740L, first non-matte screen.
I used to futz around with my lighting when I had a glossy monitor trying to reduce glare and honestly nothing helped that much except sitting in a very dark room. Even if you have an ideal situation with the light source behind the monitor you can still have significant amounts of glare from light reflecting off your walls unless they are a dark enough color.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm looking for a 144hz 1440p monitor just for games. Low response time and input lag are very important to me. Should I still be looking at TN panels or are IPS panels good enough now to not have to worry about that?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

OP hasn't been edited in 5 years and was made 8 years ago

maybe its time for a new thread that answers that question on page 1 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I dunno, I think eyefinity is going to take off any day now and these dumb ultrawides are going to be just a fun thing we look back at and laugh about.