Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Statutory Ape posted:

OP hasn't been edited in 5 years and was made 8 years ago

maybe its time for a new thread that answers that question on page 1 :shrug:

The issue is that brands seem to put out new monitors/panels every few months and prices fluctuate a lot. Cross referencing https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/ and http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm to find something that meets what you think you want seems more sensible. Asking the thread is a good idea as well because a lot of time people think they want 4k to play games on ultra at 240hz or they want a 32" 1080p monitor or whatever that doesn't make sense and folks can give suggestions to help them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking for a 144hz 1440p monitor just for games. Low response time and input lag are very important to me. Should I still be looking at TN panels or are IPS panels good enough now to not have to worry about that?

IPS panels are objectively better now, sans cost. If you can find an IPS 1440p144Hz model within your budget (preferably the XB271HU but anything goes) then definitely go for it. If you can't stretch it, get a TN model (As S2718DG or similar).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking for a 144hz 1440p monitor just for games. Low response time and input lag are very important to me. Should I still be looking at TN panels or are IPS panels good enough now to not have to worry about that?
The 144Hz (realistically 165Hz if you toggle the setting) 1440p IPS monitors are very good and the way people evaluate monitors is empirically wrong. You gain 0 advantage from going with a 144Hz 1440p TN panel.

The only sad part is you can't choose 1080p 144Hz IPS.

If you were picking between 240Hz 1080p and 144Hz 1440p IPS then there's certainly a debate there. Ultimately, you won't be unhappy with the IPS. I was hesitant as heck to get a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel because I am easily annoyed by response time and refresh rate. Easily annoyed like, ask me anything about playing video games in 1280x1024 on a CRT in 2011 despite owning multiple good LCD panels for the time. There's really no difference, and maybe even some advantage to the 165Hz IPS, between the 144Hz TN panel I had and the 144Hz 1440p IPS I bought.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2018

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Khorne posted:

The 144Hz (realistically 165Hz if you toggle the setting) 1440p IPS monitors are very good and the way people evaluate monitors is empirically wrong. You gain 0 advantage from going with a 144Hz 1440p TN panel.

The only sad part is you can't choose 1080p 144Hz IPS.

If you were picking between 240Hz 1080p and 144Hz 1440p IPS then there's certainly a debate there. Ultimately, you won't be unhappy with the IPS. I was hesitant as heck to get a 1440p 144Hz IPS panel because I am easily annoyed by response time and refresh rate. Easily annoyed like, ask me anything about playing video games in 1280x1024 on a CRT in 2011 despite owning multiple good LCD panels for the time. There's really no difference, and maybe even some advantage to the 165Hz IPS, between the 144Hz TN panel I had and the 144Hz 1440p IPS I bought.

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. I was very worried about the response time difference between TN and IPS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Recommend me a monitor please.

Currently I have a Radeon HD 7800 series 2GB 1050MHz card. I'm using two monitors on my desktop: my primary is a Samsung S24B30BL (1920x1080), and I use a ViewSonic VX2235wm (1680x1050) as a secondary/side monitor. When I'm working (from home) I use my work laptop and switch the secondary monitor to run off my laptop, and when I'm not working, both monitors run from my desktop.

I use the monitors for ordinary internet and for some gaming. Usually not high-performance gaming: I tend to avoid first person shooter type games, but currently I am playing the new Battletech game from Hairbrained/Paradox. It's a turn-based game and that's what I generally favor, so while I would like decent FPS and good visual performance at high detail levels, super high FPS under heavy conditions is not a top consideration.

I also do some amateur photography and edit my photos on my computer using lightroom... but I am not serious enough to care deeply about perfect color reproduction or whatnot.

I am concerned about eye strain. I'm 43, I stare at a monitor for at least 12 hours a day and sometimes more like 16. I would also like to have a marginally larger monitor. Going to just a single wide monitor where I can stick something off to the side while playing a game would be cool, but I'm also OK with continuing to use either of my current monitors as side displays. I am fine with replacing my video card if doing so is worthwhile at this point.

I can easily spend around $400. I can justify going to maybe $600 if it's a significant and clear upgrade. Assume I have unlimited desk space, because while I actually don't, I am probably replacing my desk pretty soon and can work with whatever size. I don't care at all about audio in the monitor since I prefer a separate speaker system. I'm generally sitting about arm length from the screen, but can move it a little closer or maybe four to six inches further away if need be.

I'm in the US, have amazon prime, live a few blocks from a Frys and a couple miles from a Best Buy, and that's all I can think of that is relevant but ask away if I forgot anything.

So should I get a IPS or TN panel like 1440p or something? Is there a good brand to go with or bad brands to avoid?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There should just be a chart with screen resolution on the X-axis and refresh rate on the Y-axis with Goon Picks(tm) on each cell alongside the screen size. Then explain why the XB271HU is the superior choice for a 27" 144+Hz 1440p G-Sync screen. Sometimes they have great deals that make it the most economical choice among its peers for sure.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Yeah. And the notes on the 2560x1600 size just read “:(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leperflesh posted:

So should I get a IPS or TN panel like 1440p or something? Is there a good brand to go with or bad brands to avoid?

I just bought the Dell S2417DGR from Best Buy for the $369 deal. 27", 1440p, 144Hz, TN panel, G-Sync, 1ms response rate.

One hour into using it (driving it with a GTX 1060), I am in love with this monitor :swoon:

Colors look great and the smoothness is a HUGE step up for me from a really ghosty 1080p Dell 60Hz TN panel from 10 years ago.

From reading the thread and elsewhere, it seems like for games, a 27" good TN with G-Sync is the best under $400 option, then there's a valley of death until you hit $850-950 (depending on sales) and get the 34" Alienware or Predator IPS.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

canyoneer posted:

I just bought the Dell S2417DGR from Best Buy for the $369 deal. 27", 1440p, 144Hz, TN panel, G-Sync, 1ms response rate.

One hour into using it (driving it with a GTX 1060), I am in love with this monitor :swoon:

Colors look great and the smoothness is a HUGE step up for me from a really ghosty 1080p Dell 60Hz TN panel from 10 years ago.

From reading the thread and elsewhere, it seems like for games, a 27" good TN with G-Sync is the best under $400 option, then there's a valley of death until you hit $850-950 (depending on sales) and get the 34" Alienware or Predator IPS.

What about stuff like viewing angles? I just bought that exact monitor because of the deal and will pick it up tomorrow and am terrified I made a bad choice instead of splurging on the >$600 IPS monitors

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I watched a video that showed a side by side, in the same room comparison with that Dell and one or both of the Acer / Asus IPS models, and I know it's only a video, but it surprised me. TN panels have definitely improved over the years. A buddy who owns tried to sell me on it, too. At that price, I could still get a second 27" 1440p IPS non G-sync monitor, just not sure I have the room for them right now. Decisions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What about stuff like viewing angles? I just bought that exact monitor because of the deal and will pick it up tomorrow and am terrified I made a bad choice instead of splurging on the >$600 IPS monitors

Viewing angle means poo poo when you're looking at it straight on 2 feet away from your face.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

TN is fine at 24". 27" can get a bit squirrely with the viewing angles unless you are exactly dead on.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

how many people are buying gaming monitors and then off setting them

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Statutory Ape posted:

how many people are buying gaming monitors and then off setting them

How many people are running dual-screen setups? A lot. That's where I ran into color shift on my S2716DG.

Not terrible, mind. But noticeable, if you moved your head side to side an inch.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Paul MaudDib posted:

How many people are running dual-screen setups? A lot.

i run 2 - 3 screens and my gaming monitor is straight on

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Statutory Ape posted:

i run 2 - 3 screens and my gaming monitor is straight on

I ran a dual-screen and both monitors were in a shallow "V" (angled towards me a little bit, maybe 15 degrees past straight-on), and it was noticeable. :shrug:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 18, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well, got the monitor, quality is fantastic. Only thing is vertical viewing angles are terrible. I guess that's normal for a TN panel but it's bothering me. Tonight I'll try using it with my chair raised so I'm slightly looking down. Before work I played with it a bit and adjusted to looking straight on instead of slightly up at the monitor but that wasn't good enough.

I'm hoping I can adjust to looking sightly down on it because I really don't want to spend 300 more just for an angle problem :(

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Green Gloves posted:

Been using a custom ultrawide 3840 x 1600 on my LG Oled. GTA V is pretty dope even with the black bars top and bottom. Anyone else tried ultrawide on a 4k tv?

Holy gently caress, I hate you for doing this to me. I just reinstalled GTA V this weekend, and now I know what it feels like to play in an ultrawide aspect ratio.

Does anyone have any experience with the Acer ED347CKR? I already have a 2560x1440 G sync display, and my 1080 TI should be able to drive most games at 60FPS at that resolution.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Not monitors, but display-related: Anker's Nebula line of portable projectors is on sale today. These are all small, battery-powered, HD+ DLP projectors. Their newest one, the Capsule, isn't part of this sale. Their oldest projector, the Mars, has the best image quality but the oldest software (Android 4.4, but you can use external devices through HDMI.) The Mars 2 runs Android 7.1, the Mars Lite is just a regular (non-"smart") projector with no internal OS (requires an external video source.)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I just picked up a PG279Q and I think I might actually take it back and get the TN version. The colors are pretty but holy poo poo the glow around the corners is terrible when watching or playing anything slightly dark. My 5 year old TN panel never had that issue. I think that I would much rather have more limited viewing angles as I only use the monitor sitting at my desk. Color accuracy isn't important to me at all either.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Holy gently caress, I hate you for doing this to me. I just reinstalled GTA V this weekend, and now I know what it feels like to play in an ultrawide aspect ratio.

Does anyone have any experience with the Acer ED347CKR? I already have a 2560x1440 G sync display, and my 1080 TI should be able to drive most games at 60FPS at that resolution.

The cool part with OLED if youre playing in the dark the black bars pretty much blend in anyway.

Honestly looks even better than when I had an ultrawide because OLED TVs are superior to anything else let alone monitors.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I could be wrong but there aren't any high refresh rate, low latency OLED monitors on the market. Are there?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

I could be wrong but there aren't any high refresh rate, low latency OLED monitors on the market. Are there?

The LG B7a can run 1080p at 120hz and thats what I have been playing Monster Hunter on. Looks really clean and clear. Rtings lists input lag at 21.7ms which is really good for a tv but not the lowest I think the TCL 600 series has the lowest ms.

With HDMI 2.1 coming theres probably going be TVs possibly OLEDS that run 4k at 120hz. Which is going to be amaze balls.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
How big of a mistake am I about to make?

Two BenQ 27" QHD IPS PD2700Q monitors with the AmazonBasics Premium Dual Monitor Stand.

Are the cheaper monitor arms as good?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

Not monitors, but display-related: Anker's Nebula line of portable projectors is on sale today. These are all small, battery-powered, HD+ DLP projectors. Their newest one, the Capsule, isn't part of this sale. Their oldest projector, the Mars, has the best image quality but the oldest software (Android 4.4, but you can use external devices through HDMI.) The Mars 2 runs Android 7.1, the Mars Lite is just a regular (non-"smart") projector with no internal OS (requires an external video source.)

Believe it or not, there's actually a Projector Megathread.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Believe it or not, there's actually a Projector Megathread.

Noted for future reference, thanks. Now this is all moot because the one-day sale is over, but FYI I had to dig to find the projector thread; it's not indexed in Alereon's thread and actually isn't in SHSC at all, it's in IYG (sharing a link next time would be helpful.) Also before I posted here, that thread had been dormant for over a month, so as far as relevance and visibility are concerned, I'm still OK with sharing that info in this thread because it's still relevant and more likely to help someone from a wider audience.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

How big of a mistake am I about to make?

Two BenQ 27" QHD IPS PD2700Q monitors with the AmazonBasics Premium Dual Monitor Stand.

Are the cheaper monitor arms as good?

The more I think about it, the more I think I want 4k. I spent all day in front of these monitors, I want them to be high quality and sharp. If I game, which is rarely, I need it to work (can't have 50ms of input lag or something), but high performance is a computer problem I can solve in the future.

Now I'm looking at the BenQ 27" 4k IPS GW2764HT, but should I be looking at the newest Dell in that size range? Or something from Acer or LG?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
So, I may just be a dummy or missing something, but do they not make 24" monitors that are (1) 144hz-refresh, (2) G-Sync, and (3) IPS?

I can find 27" and bigger, but I don't really need/want a huge darn monitor due to desk size and personal preference.

(Use profile is gaming, office work stuff, and occasional movies. Even though I do sit near to the screen usually, I'm worried about the angle problems from TN)

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

So, I may just be a dummy or missing something, but do they not make 24" monitors that are (1) 144hz-refresh, (2) G-Sync, and (3) IPS?

They do not. Someone posted this list a few pages back and it's helpful:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/

Sort by size and you'll see IPS G-sync monitors are not that abundant.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

I can find 27" and bigger, but I don't really need/want a huge darn monitor due to desk size and personal preference.

(Use profile is gaming, office work stuff, and occasional movies. Even though I do sit near to the screen usually, I'm worried about the angle problems from TN)

They really don’t seem to. I was looking for exactly that and eventually gave up.

I ended up dropping the IPS and going with a good Dell TN that was still 144 hz and gsync . I have a 1080p dell IPS and while I can tell the IPS color is a little better, the 144hz and 1440p resolution more than make up for it. Granted, I use it almost exclusively for gaming. There seems to be a wasteland of cost where if you want gsync 144hz 1440p IPS panel you’re gonna have to drop at least $500, and that’s with a decent sale. I got my 24 dell TN for a little over 300.

I was pretty nervous about going from IPS to TN but my understanding is that good TN is a lot better than it used to be.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I asked about the same thing a page back or so. I wound up going with an ASUS PG279Q. I am pleased with the picture and response time, but I want to get into streaming and now I'm worried about gaming at 1440p when trying to stream at 1080p.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a 27" 2560x1440 IPS with 144hz refresh rate that has color/brightness on par with a U2715H?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My acer 27" is only an inch and a half wider than my older dell 24". Thin bezels are huge

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a 27" 2560x1440 IPS with 144hz refresh rate that has color/brightness on par with a U2715H?

Probably. According to this the U2715H comes with Brightness 350cd/m2, Contrast 1000:1 and covers 99% of the sRGB color gamut. This one has the same stats except Asus claims 100% of sRGB. Add another $150 and you get G-Sync as well.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Drakhoran posted:

Probably. According to this the U2715H comes with Brightness 350cd/m2, Contrast 1000:1 and covers 99% of the sRGB color gamut. This one has the same stats except Asus claims 100% of sRGB. Add another $150 and you get G-Sync as well.

Do not buy the PG279Q. It's loving garbage. I went through 3 of them this weekend before returning it for a refund. They all had terrible backlight bleed as well as stuck pixels.

https://imgur.com/kiyVU7t

After some research, I learned that all of the 27" 1440P 144hz refresh rate panels are made by LG. They all have this issue. So I would definitely stay away from them at the moment.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Partial Octopus posted:

Do not buy the PG279Q. It's loving garbage. I went through 3 of them this weekend before returning it for a refund. They all had terrible backlight bleed as well as stuck pixels.

After some research, I learned that all of the 27" 1440P 144hz refresh rate panels are made by LG. They all have this issue. So I would definitely stay away from them at the moment.

I have the PG279Q and got lucky on my first roll, because I have neither of those problems, however I have it sitting next to a Dell U2718Q, and its absurd how much better the color looks on the Dell. Of course that monitor has its own issues, since you can't leave a window on it for more than 2 minutes without having that stuck on the screen until you manage to work out the ghost with moving content.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
A dark spot started appearing suddenly on the bottom of my 2012 VS248. It dissapears when I turn the monitor off and on but will come back after 10-20 minutes of usage.

Is it dying?

You can see it here against a solid color background for contrast.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Partial Octopus posted:

Aw, drat. Thanks for the heads up, for sure.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pole of Mars posted:

A dark spot started appearing suddenly on the bottom of my 2012 VS248. It dissapears when I turn the monitor off and on but will come back after 10-20 minutes of usage.

Is it dying?

You can see it here against a solid color background for contrast.

One of the LEDs lighting the panel is dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom

8-bit Miniboss posted:

One of the LEDs lighting the panel is dying.

drat, thanks. I guess I'm gonna start shopping for a new one.