Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am looking for a touchscreen monitor to pair with a Chromebox which is mounted on the wall of my kitchen. I want the following features:

You're probably not going to get a lot of bites on this - it's not a space we're usually knowledgeable in, and going off some preliminary Googling about this, it seems it's been befuddling people since 2015. Evidently you need a monitor that has a USB-in port to allow it to register as the mouse, and that's rather rare. You might consider contacting a company that makes information kiosks and seeing if they'll steer you in the right direction. Regardless, I don't think you're looking at something cheap because generally when someone wants something with this functionality, it's going into someplace like an airport or corporate retail store.

Asus is just about to release a new mid-range Chromebook (the C423) with a 1080p touchscreen - but pricing hasn't been released yet. That might be easier/cheaper, plus you gain the advantage of having a system you can move around, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

If I wanted a chrome OS touch screen I would probably just buy a chrome OS touch screen all in one :shrug:

I have actually put considerable thought into the kitchen mounted all in one idea and basically doing it as an inclusive unit is the only viable way imo, unless you just simply do not give a poo poo about $.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Baby Proof posted:

I'm looking at updating from my trusty 16:10 Ultrasharp to something bigger. But I doubt I can justify an expensive gaming card. How is 1080p gaming on fancy monitors? Do 4K monitors support medium-high (75-100hz) refresh rates in 1080p mode? Will a 1440 wide-screen automatically pillarbox 1080 resolution without having to run windowed?

Every 4K monitor in which I’ve tried to use 1080p scales with a filter that blurs everything rather than using nearest neighbor interpolation which I would prefer.

Also I currently have a dell 1440p monitor and it has no options for postage-stamping lower resolutions. It just scales them to full screen with a blurry filter.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if there exists a 43" or so 4k tv with 120hz native refresh rate? I'm trying to get a new tv that I can use for racing sims but all the TV's I've seen are 60hz. Going back to 60hz after being at 144 for so long is brutal and I can't do it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Statutory Ape posted:

If I wanted a chrome OS touch screen I would probably just buy a chrome OS touch screen all in one :shrug:

Normally I'd agree, but I was given this Chromebox for free so I''m trying to rig something up on my own.

Right now it's mounted to the wall with a non-touch monitor + mouse/keyboard. It's actually really nice having the machine in the kitchen (I recommend it!), but it would be better with a touchscreen.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Partial Octopus posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if there exists a 43" or so 4k tv with 120hz native refresh rate? I'm trying to get a new tv that I can use for racing sims but all the TV's I've seen are 60hz. Going back to 60hz after being at 144 for so long is brutal and I can't do it.

High refresh rates and 4K is in a weird place. Displayport 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry a full, 10bit HDR signal at anything higher than 98hz. The 4K gaming monitors that ASUS and Acer just put out can technically hit 144hz, but they get there by compressing the colorspace. So you have three options: Full color and HDR at 98hz, Full color and no HDR at 120hz, or Compressed color and HDR at 144hz.

Check this out for more info: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13060/asus-pg27uq-gsync-hdr-review/3

This is all somewhat moot, because if you want to play games at 4K and high settings, you are going to have a hell of a time running them much higher than 60 FPS.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

High refresh rates and 4K is in a weird place. Displayport 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth to carry a full, 10bit HDR signal at anything higher than 98hz. The 4K gaming monitors that ASUS and Acer just put out can technically hit 144hz, but they get there by compressing the colorspace. So you have three options: Full color and HDR at 98hz, Full color and no HDR at 120hz, or Compressed color and HDR at 144hz.

Check this out for more info: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13060/asus-pg27uq-gsync-hdr-review/3

This is all somewhat moot, because if you want to play games at 4K and high settings, you are going to have a hell of a time running them much higher than 60 FPS.

I'm not really concerned all that concerned about 4k or HDR. I'm just trying to find a screen around 40 inches or so that has a high refresh rate with a resolution higher than 1080P. It seems like there aren't any options for that.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
There's always 1440p

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Nothing good at that size it seems though :smith:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Baby Proof posted:

I'm looking at updating from my trusty 16:10 Ultrasharp to something bigger. But I doubt I can justify an expensive gaming card. How is 1080p gaming on fancy monitors? Do 4K monitors support medium-high (75-100hz) refresh rates in 1080p mode? Will a 1440 wide-screen automatically pillarbox 1080 resolution without having to run windowed?

You only have two lovely options I’m afraid:

1. http://www.zisworks.com/shop.html

2. Game in Linux on an Nvidia card in nearest neighbour scaling mode

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Hmm, I guess my options are accepting blur or hoping old games can run at 2560x1440 / 1920x1440.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Baby Proof posted:

Hmm, I guess my options are accepting blur or hoping old games can run at 2560x1440 / 1920x1440.

If you have an Nvidia card you can set it to output 1080p in a small box in the middle of a 4K screen if you want to (see screenshot, set it to "no scaling" and tick the override box), or pillarbox a 4:3 image on a 16:9 monitor. Stepping down monitor resolution will not let you run higher refresh rates though, TFT displays don't work like that. That was a CRT thing.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

TheFluff posted:

Stepping down monitor resolution will not let you run higher refresh rates though, TFT displays don't work like that. That was a CRT thing.

They can work like that:

quote:

4K 120Hz display with ultra-high refresh modes at lower resolutions (1080p@240Hz, 720p@300Hz, 540p@480Hz) & blur reduction options.
http://www.zisworks.com/shop.html

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I have two Dell 24 inch monitors where the inputs are DisplayPort and HDMI. I have this graphics card where the only output of use with these monitors is the HDMI connection. Is it possible to use a HDMI to mini-DisplayPort to connect the graphics card to the first monitor, and then daisy chain the second monitor to the first monitor using the DisplayPort output and input connections?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Jose Cuervo posted:

I have two Dell 24 inch monitors where the inputs are DisplayPort and HDMI. I have this graphics card where the only output of use with these monitors is the HDMI connection. Is it possible to use a HDMI to mini-DisplayPort to connect the graphics card to the first monitor, and then daisy chain the second monitor to the first monitor using the DisplayPort output and input connections?
Unfortunately no. You're going to need a different video card with a minimum of 2 HDMI or DP (or one of each). Unless your motherboard also has a HDMI or DP, then you could possibly use that to drive the second display.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jose Cuervo posted:

No, but you could get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter for $5-7 bucks to drive the second monitor from the DVI port (it won't carry audio but otherwise uses the same digital signal):
https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Unfortunately no. You're going to need a different video card with a minimum of 2 HDMI or DP (or one of each). Unless your motherboard also has a HDMI or DP, then you could possibly use that to drive the second display.

Rexxed posted:

No, but you could get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter for $5-7 bucks to drive the second monitor from the DVI port (it won't carry audio but otherwise uses the same digital signal):
https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/

So the HDMI to mini DisplayPort should drive a single monitor? Because right now the single monitor connected to the graphics card using the HDMI to mini DisplayPort will not display anything (complains about no signal) - could this be an issue with the cable?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Cuervo posted:

So the HDMI to mini DisplayPort should drive a single monitor? Because right now the single monitor connected to the graphics card using the HDMI to mini DisplayPort will not display anything (complains about no signal) - could this be an issue with the cable?

You can convert Dipslayport to HDMI, but not HDMI to Displayport. This is just weird legacy stuff.

The list of possible conversions you can make with a cheap cable are:

DVI to HDMI 1.x
HDMI to DVI

Displayport to DVI
Displayport to HDMI 1.x

This happens because early versions of HDMI were the same signal type as DVI, so you only needed to chance the connector. Displayport connectors on a video card are also capable of sending out a DVI/HDMI compatible signal if they sense that type of cable plugged in, but do so only to support legacy devices, the displayport signal itself isn't in any way compatible with DVI/HDMI without this added support from a video card.

Also, HDMI 2.x has changed its signal type, and you can't convert from DVI to HDMI 2.x with a simple cable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jose Cuervo posted:

Like Eoraptor said, you can't use displayport with that video card without some kind of specialty converter. The cable you have is meant to use a displayport output and go to HDMI input on a monitor, but won't work the other way around. Use HDMI to HDMI for one monitor and DVI to HDMI for the other.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

You can convert Dipslayport to HDMI, but not HDMI to Displayport. This is just weird legacy stuff.

The list of possible conversions you can make with a cheap cable are:

DVI to HDMI 1.x
HDMI to DVI

Displayport to DVI
Displayport to HDMI 1.x

This happens because early versions of HDMI were the same signal type as DVI, so you only needed to chance the connector. Displayport connectors on a video card are also capable of sending out a DVI/HDMI compatible signal if they sense that type of cable plugged in, but do so only to support legacy devices, the displayport signal itself isn't in any way compatible with DVI/HDMI without this added support from a video card.

Also, HDMI 2.x has changed its signal type, and you can't convert from DVI to HDMI 2.x with a simple cable.

Rexxed posted:

Like Eoraptor said, you can't use displayport with that video card without some kind of specialty converter. The cable you have is meant to use a displayport output and go to HDMI input on a monitor, but won't work the other way around. Use HDMI to HDMI for one monitor and DVI to HDMI for the other.

Thanks for the in depth explanations of why what I was trying did not work.

One final question. I have this motherboard which has a HDMI output. Is it better (in what sense I am not quite sure - perhaps performance?), to have
1. One monitor powered by the on board graphics via a HDMI to HDMI cable and the second monitor powered by the graphics card via a second HDMI to HDMI cable, or
2. Both monitors powered by the graphics card, one monitor via a HDMI to HDMI cable and the second monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Jose Cuervo posted:

Thanks for the in depth explanations of why what I was trying did not work.

One final question. I have this motherboard which has a HDMI output. Is it better (in what sense I am not quite sure - perhaps performance?), to have
1. One monitor powered by the on board graphics via a HDMI to HDMI cable and the second monitor powered by the graphics card via a second HDMI to HDMI cable, or
2. Both monitors powered by the graphics card, one monitor via a HDMI to HDMI cable and the second monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable?

Running them of the same card might perform slightly better in that windows wouldn't have to load TWO graphics drivers instead of just one, but the difference is probably immeasurably small. Using the motherboard HDMI for the second monitor is better in your specific case for one simple reason: You can buy a 3 pack of 6 foot HDMI cables on Amazon for like $5 and that is all you need to get the job done.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So I'm getting real fuckin' tired of the flickering on my second screen whenever I load up anything like youtube or even a high resolution image on it. What's an around 27-30 inch, non 4k, 120/144hz low latency monitor that isn't gonna make me send it back three or four times for dead pixels like the horror stories I've heard about certain monitors recently?(Mainly gonna be used for games, current main is being relegated to secondary)

Looking at the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q but it's the upper limit of what I wanna pay for a monitor, what other options would I have?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 15, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Baba The Ox posted:

NewEgg via eBay is selling the 24" Dell (the S2417DG) at $315 right now. In light of recent sales, there might be good/better deals elsewhere, but this seems like a good bargain given other reviews in this thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Gaming-S2417DG-YNY1D-23-8-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor-with-G-SYNC/381880122712

This seems like a pretty good deal. Can you still get NewEgg and manufacturer support if you buy from them on eBay?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turns out my new card only has one HDMI port and the DVI port is dual link. Unless I get this other monitor working right my monitors only have HDMI and single-link DVI. So I could do a display port to HDMI, display port to DVI (assuming that's even a thing), dual link DVI to HDMI, or dual link DVI to single link DVI (assuming that's a thing). Which is the "best" option? They're 60mhz refresh rate monitors, no G-Sync or anything. I've got some sort of adapter around here but I forget what exactly it is. either HDMI or Displayport male to some sort of DVI female, so it might work or might not. It's also tiny and I'm having a hard time finding it.

I'm going to try to get the other one working, but it's got a problem with the connectors between the drivers and panel, if that's what it's called. If I press on the bezel where a vertical green line is coming out it disappears, but I'm not sure if shimming it or holding it in place somehow would just be short term and lead to it getting worse down the line. As I understand it they're a pain to solder because they're plastic rather than metal and it's easy to melt them.

E: Do the Pavilions have replacement parts for the internals? It's a HP Pavilion 32q product number 1GZ08AA, but I'm not seeing a part number for the panel itself.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 15, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Unsinkabear posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal. Can you still get NewEgg and manufacturer support if you buy from them on eBay?

You can contact Newegg and ask for a Newegg invoice to make things go more smoothly, but Dell doesn't seem to be especially picky so long as you can demonstrate original ownership. When I bought my 2412M way back when, it was from an Amazon Marketplace seller as they were the cheapest at the time. Dell still honored the warranty three years later when I had to send it in because a thrip had gotten in-between the substrate and screen and died, creating something that looked like a cluster of dead pixels.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Turns out my new card only has one HDMI port and the DVI port is dual link. Unless I get this other monitor working right my monitors only have HDMI and single-link DVI. So I could do a display port to HDMI, display port to DVI (assuming that's even a thing), dual link DVI to HDMI, or dual link DVI to single link DVI (assuming that's a thing). Which is the "best" option? They're 60mhz refresh rate monitors, no G-Sync or anything. I've got some sort of adapter around here but I forget what exactly it is. either HDMI or Displayport male to some sort of DVI female, so it might work or might not. It's also tiny and I'm having a hard time finding it.

I'm going to try to get the other one working, but it's got a problem with the connectors between the drivers and panel, if that's what it's called. If I press on the bezel where a vertical green line is coming out it disappears, but I'm not sure if shimming it or holding it in place somehow would just be short term and lead to it getting worse down the line. As I understand it they're a pain to solder because they're plastic rather than metal and it's easy to melt them.
If all your monitors support DP 1.2, you can also daisychain them: https://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

None of my monitors currently have DisplayPort. One I bought back in 2015 so I think it was less common and the other one I got secondhand a few months ago and I have no idea how old it is. Dell S2740 or something like that. The big Pavilion 32Q does, but that's the one I need to fix.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Turns out my new card only has one HDMI port and the DVI port is dual link. Unless I get this other monitor working right my monitors only have HDMI and single-link DVI.

Single-link/dual-link should be a non-issue in that direction. Dual-link just gives the DVI the ability for higher resolutions and refresh rates. If you had a high resolution monitor that required dual-link and the graphics card only had single-link you would only be able to run at lower resolution than the monitor's native. DVI is perfectly fine and practically foolproof. The only downsides are the large connector, no G-Sync support and no audio transmission. If you want to use the speakers or headphone output in one of your monitors connect it with HDMI and the other one with DVI.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The thing is that it's not plugging in right when I try. Should a single-link cord fit into a dual-link socket okay? I would think it should but it didn't seem to be going in and I didn't want to break anything.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can contact Newegg and ask for a Newegg invoice to make things go more smoothly, but Dell doesn't seem to be especially picky so long as you can demonstrate original ownership. When I bought my 2412M way back when, it was from an Amazon Marketplace seller as they were the cheapest at the time. Dell still honored the warranty three years later when I had to send it in because a thrip had gotten in-between the substrate and screen and died, creating something that looked like a cluster of dead pixels.

Had to google what a thrip was, that's gross but dope. Thanks!

So I've narrowed this pick down to two Dell monitors: a U2415 from Costco for $230, or that S2417DG from eBay for $340. They both have excellent color accuracy when calibrated from what I can research, and I don't think the resolution and ratio differences matter much at that 24" size (correct me if I'm wrong). That means it boils down to either an affordable 60Hz IPS that we can return to Costco anytime (we're planning to move out of state in a few years so this will make it a handy stopgap), or a TN that costs $100 more but does 165Hz with gsync. This is where I need help: I haven't used a TN panel in ages so I don't remember how annoying the viewing angle is on a stationary monitor, and I've never seen 165Hz or gsync in action.

This is for a casual gamer who wants to play things like Overwatch and No Man's Sky on her 1050ti graphics card. Is the performance/experience boost from G-synced 165Hz worth the extra $100 and worse viewing angles?

Just noticed Costco has the U2718Q on sale for $369, so I might just do that.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 15, 2018

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I just got the s2417dg monitor and it's fine if you are viewing it head on, i haven't bothered overclocking it but it's great at 144hz with gsync or 120hz ulmb.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The thing is that it's not plugging in right when I try. Should a single-link cord fit into a dual-link socket okay? I would think it should but it didn't seem to be going in and I didn't want to break anything.

A single link dvi cable should plug right into a dual link dvi port without any hassle. Check the cable orientation, look at the cable end and make sure it isn’t crushed and none of the pins are bent. It shouldn’t take anything more than mild pressure to insert the cable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor any of these meet your requirements? Maybe that Sony?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

A single link dvi cable should plug right into a dual link dvi port without any hassle. Check the cable orientation, look at the cable end and make sure it isn’t crushed and none of the pins are bent. It shouldn’t take anything more than mild pressure to insert the cable.

I was tired, I probably tried to put it in backwards because I'm dumb.

E: It was a bit snug but I got it, maybe they were both on the edge of in spec or the port just hadn't smoothed out.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Coredump posted:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor any of these meet your requirements? Maybe that Sony?

In that list, only the Samsungs do 120Hz input, and that's only at 1080p.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've been waiting to see if the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q will drop in price on Black Friday/cyber monday but I can get the AOC AG271QG right now for $200 cheaper. I know it's the same IPS panel but never owned an AOC product. I heard ASUS has better display interface but I think I will use that once ever. Anyone own any of these monitors?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Housh posted:

I've been waiting to see if the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q will drop in price on Black Friday/cyber monday but I can get the AOC AG271QG right now for $200 cheaper. I know it's the same IPS panel but never owned an AOC product. I heard ASUS has better display interface but I think I will use that once ever. Anyone own any of these monitors?

The AOC and Viewsonic monitors were regarded at having better build quality than the Asus last time I paid attention but that is probably due to the number of people with the Asus driving complaints up. At the end of the day its the same panel just go for the best deal/best warranty support.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Coredump posted:

Thanks for trying but it seems like none of the TV's under 55" currently support 120hz. Guess I'll just have to deal with poor refresh rate or get a giant tv!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

queef anxiety posted:

The AOC and Viewsonic monitors were regarded at having better build quality than the Asus last time I paid attention but that is probably due to the number of people with the Asus driving complaints up. At the end of the day its the same panel just go for the best deal/best warranty support.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the place that has the amazing price on the AOC monitor has a 10% restocking fee if I need to return it. They told me for the monitor to be defective it is subject to the manufacturer's dead pixel policy (basically home many stuck pixels before AOC considers it defective to RMA). The guy said I can pay for a $5 dead pixel exchange warranty that only works 1 time....ugh

It's still $80 cheaper than Amazon so it might be worth the risk...and it's supporting a local mom's and pop's shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Maybe one day Dell will make ultrasharp tv's. Someone tweet them the idea.