Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, it seems that most people in here are going for Gsync. I am considering it. But, I am curios about Freesync. Lets say for the moment that I am fine going with an Radeon video card, how does freesync compare to gsync? The cost differences here are absolutely huge and it has got me wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emocrat posted:

So, it seems that most people in here are going for Gsync. I am considering it. But, I am curios about Freesync. Lets say for the moment that I am fine going with an Radeon video card, how does freesync compare to gsync? The cost differences here are absolutely huge and it has got me wondering.

It's the exact same but way cheaper.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's pretty similar, cheaper, and there is less validation for the freesync sticker on the box. Gsync requires specific use of components, and validation, as well as an fpga module $$$

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

It's the exact same but way cheaper.

no it's not as good but it's less expensive (the AMD and nVidia story)

G-Sync is supposed to handle sub-refresh frame rates and ghost less on account of dedicated hardware

emocrat posted:

if you're going to settle for AMD you get freesync. If you were going to spend the gas bill money on lottery scratchers herbal boner pills anyways just buy a 2080ti and a g-sync monitor instead ya pussy

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've been wanting to buy an adaptive sync monitor for a while now, but I have an Nvidia card and don't want to encourage their anti-consumer choice of refusing to implement open standards.

E: and I would want my screen to last multiple computer lifecycles where I might not always have an Nvidia card. Somebody post a big siren post for me to see if they ever support other adaptive sync tech.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 16, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, sorry if anything like this has been posted in the thread already but:

I recently saw a windows surface pro all-in-one PC with a monitor that could be lowered down until it was almost touching the desk and angled at about 15 or 20 degrees from being horizontal. It is compatible with a stylus and pretty obviously meant for graphic designers, artists, that sort of thing.

However, the $3,500 price tag seemed a bit ludicrous.

So, I’m wondering if I could build one of my own. The PC will be easy to build, but I will need to buy the specialized monitor.

Does anybody make a stand-alone monitor with stylus support? Does anybody make this monitor with a stand that allows it to be pushed down almost flat against whatever surface it is resting on?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody make a stand-alone monitor with stylus support? Does anybody make this monitor with a stand that allows it to be pushed down almost flat against whatever surface it is resting on?
You want Wacom.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Looking for sanity checks here for my not terrifically common (but surely not truly rare) situation. tl;dr: are there good Thunderbolt-capable 21:9 displays out there besides LG 34UC98, LG 34UM88, or Samsung CJ791?
  • Two computers, one a USB-C era MacBook Pro, other a gaming PC.
  • The Mac is for text editing (programmer/sysadmin; the wider the better as I can fit more documents at once) etc; no serious video etc. The PC is for non-competitive gaming, so eg I don't care about 144Hz.
  • Two monitors on arms: Thunderbolt Display (16:9 / 1440p) for the Mac, Dell U2412M (16:10 / 1920x1200) for the PC. Typically keep one or the other front-and-center depending on gaming/not gaming
  • When gaming, I frequently toggle USB to the Mac via a USB K/M switch to look things up / take notes / chat / etc.
  • I enjoy the dock capabilities of the Thunderbolt Display (e.g. USB & Ethernet passthrough, speakers, webcam).
I'm contemplating replacing the displays with a single 21:9 34" or similar:
  • No more monitor shuffle or squeaky TBD heavy-display arm.
  • Have you SEEN how much text you can fit into a 21:9 display?! :swoon:
  • Need to either run games at native 3440x1440 (bit hard even for dedicated gaming rig; currently running a GTX 970), or at some boxed-in smaller res (I'm told nVidia's driver can do this for games that can't internally).
  • Might be able to picture-in-picture/picture-by-picture for the times I need both systems viewable. (Sounds like the LG 34UC98 itself cannot do this? Only some half-assed Windows software-based thing?)
  • Regardless of PIP/PBP, toggling between inputs needs to be fast and easy versus, say, clicking through ALL inputs every time, or being deep in a menu.
  • Thunderbolt is nearly mandatory; USB-C HDMI dongles sound like they drop down to 30fps above 1080p; I assume that'll be a bad time even for regular desktop work.
See the tl;dr for the 3 monitors I've found that seem to fit. Am I missing any (e.g. any super-good fits for my use case that are 'only' 1440p)? Are there aspects to this switcheroo I'm overlooking? Etc.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

emocrat posted:

In practice, a good freesync screen is in every way equal to a gsync screen, and there are a lot of good freesync displays out there. But there are also a lot of crap freesync displays out there. With gsync, nvidia is somewhat picky about their proprietary technology ending up in a bad product which would give them a bad name, so if someone tries to build a poor quality gsync display nvidia can and will refuse to let them sell it. Freesync on the other hand is free from such quality controls, so the burden of separating the bad freesync monitors from the good ones are up to the consumers.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Freesync 2 is a seal of generally good quality. You get some HDR support, low input latency and low framerate compensation. Second one should be common for Freesync monitors, but not all of them have the required "max refresh at least double of the min".

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Running them of the same card might perform slightly better in that windows wouldn't have to load TWO graphics drivers instead of just one, but the difference is probably immeasurably small. Using the motherboard HDMI for the second monitor is better in your specific case for one simple reason: You can buy a 3 pack of 6 foot HDMI cables on Amazon for like $5 and that is all you need to get the job done.

Thanks to you, Rexxed, and EoRaptor for your help - the monitors work great now!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have a dumb question. I just want a very simple monitor. My second monitor finally bit the bullet and I need to replace it. I don't do widescreen gaming, I don't need it to have a refresh rate higher than 60. All I use it for is work/browsing the internet while I do things that take up my main display.

Is there a gold standard for just a good basic 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor that is affordable because it works without a bunch of bells and whistles and dumb gimmicks?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just got my first displayport monitor has I have a weird problem I'ven ever had before, I have it set to turn off the screens after a while of no input but when they turn back on, all the windows on my second screen(a hdmi one) is shoved on the main screen(the displayport one), any idea what could be causing this?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nalesh posted:

Just got my first displayport monitor has I have a weird problem I'ven ever had before, I have it set to turn off the screens after a while of no input but when they turn back on, all the windows on my second screen(a hdmi one) is shoved on the main screen(the displayport one), any idea what could be causing this?

Sounds like the problem of "too deep" sleep some DP monitors. When it goes to sleep it completely disappears, Windows can't sense that it is still connected. What happens is that when the primary DP monitor goes to sleep Windows considers it disconnected, so it has to move all the windows to the HDMI monitor, which is the new primary. Then when they wake up, the DP monitor shows up again, Windows sets it as the primary and moves all the windows from the old primary monitor.

The monitor may have setting to adjust the deepness of sleep which could solve this problem, I think it had worked with couple recent cases in this thread.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

Freesync 2 is a seal of generally good quality. You get some HDR support, low input latency and low framerate compensation. Second one should be common for Freesync monitors, but not all of them have the required "max refresh at least double of the min".

Yeah, this. There's a couple really good Freesync monitors, but you need to do ~research~, or you can find a freesync 2 monitor and it's probably good. Either way, ask here/check a review before buying anyway IMO :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Skyarb posted:

I have a dumb question. I just want a very simple monitor. My second monitor finally bit the bullet and I need to replace it. I don't do widescreen gaming, I don't need it to have a refresh rate higher than 60. All I use it for is work/browsing the internet while I do things that take up my main display.

Is there a gold standard for just a good basic 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor that is affordable because it works without a bunch of bells and whistles and dumb gimmicks?

Gold standard? I don't think. I was trying to look at Tech Report peripheral picks but their last one was october 2016. Linus does his "why the hell are you all buying this" videos that may cover a cheap monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTD4WRwHkU

In the meantime, this is ips but no height adjustment. https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-24MC57HQ-P-24-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00TCVBL6K
This hp is cheaper, but has a nicer stand but is also smaller. https://www.amazon.com/HP-23-8-inch-Adjustment-Speakers-VH240a/dp/B072M34RQC

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 18, 2018

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I've been gaming on my ultra wide monitor (IPS for editing) for a while now and the 60hz is starting to annoy me, I'm looking at a 140hz gaming monitor but I'm really not sure if I should be sticking to 1080p for max fps or going 1440p, is G-sync worth it? my rig is pretty good but I do like to run games at ultra if I can so that could impact things

specs are 1070ti 8GB (oc) 32gb DDR4, 8700k (OC to 5.1)

My options are pretty much limited to what's at my local shop, can anyone make any recommendations? I'm not super set on brands and budget preferably under $1k

https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/Monitors/Gaming-Monitors/120Hz-and-Above

Bang3r fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2018

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Gsync is totally worth it. As for 1440p vs 1080p, if its raw framerate you are after then 1080p is the obvious choice. That 1070 Ti is a good card but 1440p will probably bring you down to the 60 FPS range fairly often. My overclocked GTX 1080 on a water cooler holds 80-120 in most recent games at 1080p, so a 1070 Ti on air will probably be a little lower but not far off. I have an Asus PG258Q and I have no complaints (but be warned it is a TN). Given your video card, I'd suggest either an Asus or an Acer 1080p/144 Hz gsync IPS.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bang3r posted:

So I've been gaming on my ultra wide monitor (IPS for editing) for a while now and the 60hz is starting to annoy me, I'm looking at a 140hz gaming monitor but I'm really not sure if I should be sticking to 1080p for max fps or going 1440p, is G-sync worth it? my rig is pretty good but I do like to run games at ultra if I can so that could impact things

specs are 1070ti 8GB (oc) 32gb DDR4, 8700k (OC to 5.1)

My options are pretty much limited to what's at my local shop, can anyone make any recommendations? I'm not super set on brands and budget preferably under $1k

https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/Monitors/Gaming-Monitors/120Hz-and-Above

If I were you, I'd get an Acer Predator XB271HU or the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. They are both 144hz (overclockable to 165hz) 1440p IPS monitors with GSYNC.

The 1070ti has enough headroom to stay above 60FPS at 1440p in modern games. Obviously it'll vary from game to game, so look at some benchmarks. I just took a quick peak myself, and it looks like The Witcher 3 will run around 85 FPS at 1440p Ultra settings, Doom should run at about 120FPS, BF1 should be around 100FPS, Wildlands only runs at 45FPS but I believe that game's ultra setting is unreasonable to aim for. You aren't going to be maxing out the refresh rate on new AAA titles, but you will have plenty of headroom to take advantage of the high refresh rate. You'll always have the option to pare back visual settings for higher framerate. It'll give you more options and take advantage of your system's headroom.

FWIW, I have the older model of the Acer and I used a 1080 with it for a couple years and loved the setup. The 1070ti isn't that far off from the base 1080. If you end up upgrading your card in a couple years, you'll still have a sweet monitor that can take advantage of the new hardware.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 19, 2018

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

il serpente cosmico posted:

If I were you, I'd get an Acer Predator XB271HU or the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. They are both 144hz (overclockable to 165hz) 1440p IPS monitors with GSYNC.

Those look like good choices, the swift just bloody sold out at the store (it was in stock when i was looking this morning) so maybe I'll wait? the other one looks a bit.. garish to me!

with my current monitor I'm running things at 2560x1080 at ultra (for the most part) and I get 100+fps on all the games I'm currently playing (Bf1, destiny2, blackops 4) but I could definitely see it dropping down a bit going higher with the res, I'm sure I'll update when the 20 series of cards prices go down so looking for the future is a good call.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bang3r posted:

Those look like good choices, the swift just bloody sold out at the store (it was in stock when i was looking this morning) so maybe I'll wait? the other one looks a bit.. garish to me!

with my current monitor I'm running things at 2560x1080 at ultra (for the most part) and I get 100+fps on all the games I'm currently playing (Bf1, destiny2, blackops 4) but I could definitely see it dropping down a bit going higher with the res, I'm sure I'll update when the 20 series of cards prices go down so looking for the future is a good call.

Those two models use the same panel, so get whichever one you like better.

If you happen to come across the Acer XB270HU, it's the earlier model of the same panel that's since been discontinued. It's a really good panel, and the design is much more understated.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
If I wanted a 1080p HDR at 120hz (don't care about 4k, curved ... might be nice?), is there a good monitor anyone would suggest? Budget isn't super important. Just random garbage on amazon that's high rated would be fine?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unormal posted:

If I wanted a 1080p HDR at 120hz (don't care about 4k, curved ... might be nice?), is there a good monitor anyone would suggest? Budget isn't super important. Just random garbage on amazon that's high rated would be fine?

Just to clarify, why HDR but also only 1080p but high refresh rate? I don't think that exists? If they made a 1080p monitor big enough to need to be curved it would look like an apple 2 screen.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Just to clarify, why HDR but also only 1080p but high refresh rate? I don't think that exists? If they made a 1080p monitor big enough to need to be curved it would look like an apple 2 screen.

I make/play video games and I want to futz around with HDR output, and 120hz is nice for text, but I don't need a billion pixels (GPU can't fill them anyway). I already have a couple big ol 30" 60hz non-hdr 2560x1600s, so if what I want doesn't exist all I need is some decent smallish HDR panel I guess.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

So the Dell/Alienware AW3418DW is still pretty much as good as it gets as of right now for gaming monitors, correct? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one today. Anyone know what Microcenter's return policy is when it comes to dead pixels?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

RoboCop 3 posted:

So the Dell/Alienware AW3418DW is still pretty much as good as it gets as of right now for gaming monitors, correct? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one today. Anyone know what Microcenter's return policy is when it comes to dead pixels?

LG's new gsync hits very very soon with a review on TFTcentral stated for this week. Shouldn't have any issues with OC flickering that the AW and x34p do. Expect prices to be high though

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

queef anxiety posted:

LG's new gsync hits very very soon with a review on TFTcentral stated for this week. Shouldn't have any issues with OC flickering that the AW and x34p do. Expect prices to be high though

Too late! I now have a big curvy goon girl display on my desk. It’s actually not as large as I was expecting. The width is nice, but the reduction in height from my U3011 is going to take some getting used to. What IS blowing my mind right now is 120 hz in Windows. I spent five minutes after I set it up just moving windows around on my desktop. :asoiaf:

I have 30 days to return this monitor to Microcenter, so if the LG that’s coming out soon is a considerable improvement, I’ll consider returning the Dell. Right now though, I’m pretty happy. I haven’t noticed any flickering at 120 hz, although I did read about that possibility on a few Reddit posts. Hopefully I get lucky.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RoboCop 3 posted:

I spent five minutes after I set it up just moving windows around on my desktop.

Everyone does this. It’s so satisfying.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Can anyone recommend a portable monitor? I have 5 headless machines in my house that only seldomly need a screen and I'm getting tired of setting up/tearing down my 27" Dell. I was looking at the 16" AOC e1659Fwu for ~$85

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

queef anxiety posted:

Speaking of that, the review is available now: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

e: oops that's the freesync version, they'll do an entirely separate review for the g-sync version later

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there some sort of test you can run on a freesync monitor to see if it has a good implementation or not?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there some sort of test you can run on a freesync monitor to see if it has a good implementation or not?

https://www.testufo.com/freesync

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thanks!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

App13 posted:

Can anyone recommend a portable monitor? I have 5 headless machines in my house that only seldomly need a screen and I'm getting tired of setting up/tearing down my 27" Dell. I was looking at the 16" AOC e1659Fwu for ~$85

I had a similar issue and just set up a VNC on my home server. Works great if you don't need to worry about latency or color quality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure if this is a new low water mark for a new 3418DW:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

gently caress that's a lot less than I paid.

[swissflagwithcryingmarmot.gif]

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They've hit 850 like that a bunch of times but never any lower. That's well worth it though.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm

reviews out. good and bad. will be interesting to see if its the OC'd gsync module or the panel causing all the issues with current high refresh UW's (AW34/x34p)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a question about playing video games on a multi-monitor setup.

If I have a dual or triple monitor setup but only play games on the middle screen, is there any software out there that can utilize the outer two monitors for ambient color according to what's happening in the video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations for a 27" 1440p monitor below $500, that come with a height-adjustable stand? Decided to upgrade to a 2070 soon, might as well get the bigger resolution to go along with it.

Currently running a pair of 1080 Ultrasharps, so was looking at their bigger brother the U2715H-but I'd rather get a 144hz if at all possible. The Samsung C27HG70 looks rather cool as well, but for the life of me I can't find the g-sync version of it.