Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

The Third Man posted:

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I'm looking at the U2412M and reading some negative comments from reviewers about the ghosting. Is it really noticeable during gaming, or only if I'm a hyper-sensitive twitch gamer? For reference, I tend to play a lot of Red Orchestra 2 and Eve online, so it's not faster stuff like CS or Quake 3.

Echoing what Dogen said, I've played a ton of games on a 2412 and have never once noticed ghosting or any other type of negative effect on visuals caused by the monitor. I would take the better colour reproduction of an IPS panel over the response time of even a high end 120hz TN panel 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Third Man posted:

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I'm looking at the U2412M and reading some negative comments from reviewers about the ghosting. Is it really noticeable during gaming, or only if I'm a hyper-sensitive twitch gamer? For reference, I tend to play a lot of Red Orchestra 2 and Eve online, so it's not faster stuff like CS or Quake 3.

There's a tiny tiny bit there, but you have to be looking for it. It shouldn't affect play any.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I am looking at this monitor-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176219

The one caveat that I can see is that it doesn't have an LED backlight. Would I even notice? Right now I'm using dual 19" widescreens from acer (x193w and v193w) which are on the low end of monitors.

Wish I would have jumped on that 25 inch hp debranded w/led backlight they had a couple days ago for $155. Still regretting not buying that up.

This would be put alongside my 19" widescreen and powered with a gtx460. I generally use my monitor mostly for gaming.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824228033R for $127. Open box, but I'll take the gamble. Who knows how long this will be active.

Dark Solux fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 6, 2011

Mootowncow
Sep 4, 2011
Got my 2312HM today and while I don't have a built computer to use it with just yet, I must say this is an extremely impressive piece of equipment. I'll chime in with how well it works once I have a computer but I must admit, finding out that the stand adjusts in every practical way I can conceive was a pretty joyous event.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

RizieN posted:

^ Yea, I kept em the same width as the OP, but reduced the height a little on the taller ones. I would've saved as PNGs but I've been working on something for a client who demanded JPGs and my export settings were left on JPG... oh well.

Cool, glad you like em! Here's three variations (I like the first);

Or do you want a shorter, longer version?

I would totally rock three CRTs if they made them sleek and smooth/minimal like some LCDs, but I'm gonna need some desk space so I'll probably stick with the LCDs and just opt for the 120Hz models.

I used the first one, but I think a slightly larger (wider) version would be good as the headline image for the thread.

e: and thread title changed, thanks SWSP! :swoon:

movax fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2011

Kaepora Gaebora
Oct 9, 2011

Just wanted to say that after months of hard work, (I am covered in blood and sweat) I've managed to get a Linux setup using Eyefinity-6 (the one with 6 mini-dp ports) working with 6 (six) VGA monitors paneled 3x2.
…Debian 6 x64 with Xfce using fglrx and some sort of mutated xorg.conf that appears to have developed conscience. Not sure if by now this has become totally common and nobody's impressed, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Let me know if anyone has questions… but fucknose which of the 10 million permutations of software/config actually did the trick.

Kaepora Gaebora fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 6, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Certainly not common--those cards never really sold in any great number, since they were kinda released before many good DP monitors were available (or ones that didn't cost $600+ each, anyhow). And to be honest, I didn't know that any sort of Eyefinity was possible with Linux, so good job!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kaepora Gaebora posted:

Just wanted to say that after months of hard work, (I am covered in blood and sweat) I've managed to get a Linux setup working with Eyefinity-6 (the one with 6 mini-dp ports) working with 6 (six) VGA monitors paneled 3x2.
…Debian 6 x64 with Xfce using fglrx and some sort of mutated xorg.conf that appears to have developed conscience. Not sure if by now this has become totally common and nobody's impressed, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Post that xorg.conf, son (or pastebin it at the very least)!

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Dell Outlet has refurbished U2711 and U2412M on sale with $XJK7B0L6Q0BDW (25% off)

http://content.dell.com/us/en/dfh/d/campaigns/5_days_of_dell_outlet_deals_dfh.aspx?dgc=SM&cid=63952&lid=1991912

Refurb U2711 comes out to be $569 without taxes.
Refurb U2412M is $239 without taxes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No more U2711s left :(
2412s are still up though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Meanwhile, in Canada, the U2410 is $200 off, and sitting at $400+tax.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&l=en

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
Why is the U2410 so much more expensive than the U2312HM? Do you really pay double the price (before the sale) for an extra inch of monitor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Why is the U2410 so much more expensive than the U2312HM? Do you really pay double the price (before the sale) for an extra inch of monitor?

It's a wide-gamut monitor suitable for professional print work, where the U2312HM only has the color gamut for web work, and it has a whole lotta buncha inputs that require a lot of electronics to support, including picture-in-picture modes for most combinations of them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The U2410 has an 8-bit full colour panel, the other, newer, cheaper IPS panels are only 6-bit.
The U2410 also has an ungodly number of inputs, which I personally appreciate.

Kaepora Gaebora
Oct 9, 2011

movax posted:

Post that xorg.conf, son (or pastebin it at the very least)!

yes, here is the xorg.conf (pretty sure the first "monitor" section was left over from a previous config)

code:
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP1"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
	Option	    "TargetRefresh" "60"
	Option	    "Position" "0 1024"
	Option	    "Rotate" "normal"
	Option	    "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP2"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "Position" "2560 1024"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP3"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP4"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "Position" "2560 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP5"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "Position" "1280 1024"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "DFP6"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "Position" "1280 0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Device"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP1" "DFP1"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP2" "DFP2"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP3" "DFP3"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP4" "DFP4"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP5" "DFP5"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP6" "DFP6"
	BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "screen"
	Device     "Device"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Virtual   3840 2048
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection
one of the keys was using mini-dp to VGA instead of to DVI. DVI would only handle 3 monitors at most even though the adapters were "active." still not sure why.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I'm not as familiar with monitors as Movax, but from the specs on the page, it looks like the 2410 has a wider gamut, a plethora of inputs (component, composite, HDMI), a 16:10 aspect ratio, and pixels that are 0.005mm bigger. I'm not sure if their internal hardware differs greatly, and if so, how it would affect the price.

e:f;b

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
I'm building out a new computer right now and looking for a display for $200ish. I know its not going to be a DELL ULTRASHARP but what are my best options? I want 23-24 inches, and it will be used for gaming so something that doesnt show a lot of ghosting would be nice. Should i just pick any of the generic asus/acer/whatever monitors on newegg for that price point?

Edit: I'm willing to take a chance with refurbished/open box/whatever as long as its from a reputable source.

Internet Nobody fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 6, 2011

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Ordered a U2412M on Black Friday with 7 day shipping and Dell keeps giving me delays via email (new estimated arrival is the 15th). I just want to bask in the sharpness! :(

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

Meanwhile, in Canada, the U2410 is $200 off, and sitting at $400+tax.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&l=en

Almost the same in the U.S. but for the U2412M.

$399.99 - $100 = $299.99, even better deal if you still have the 10% coupon left Dell sent a little ways back.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2676&~ck=baynoteSearch

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The Quake posted:

Ordered a U2412M on Black Friday with 7 day shipping and Dell keeps giving me delays via email (new estimated arrival is the 15th). I just want to bask in the sharpness! :(

Same here. I ended up calling India and they quoted me a different date than the one I was emailed. Seems no one knows whats going on.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

The Quake posted:

Same. I ordered black Friday with next-day shipping and they delayed until today, and then today delayed again until Friday. I got them to refund the next-day shipping, at least.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tom Steele posted:

I'm building out a new computer right now and looking for a display for $200ish. I know its not going to be a DELL ULTRASHARP but what are my best options? I want 23-24 inches, and it will be used for gaming so something that doesnt show a lot of ghosting would be nice. Should i just pick any of the generic asus/acer/whatever monitors on newegg for that price point?

Edit: I'm willing to take a chance with refurbished/open box/whatever as long as its from a reputable source.

Asus wouldn't be a bad choice at all; you could also look at PVA/MVA ViewSonic or Samsungs. Just confirm the return/dead pixel policy of the retailer you choose.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

fuseshock posted:

Dell Outlet has refurbished U2711 and U2412M on sale with $XJK7B0L6Q0BDW (25% off)

http://content.dell.com/us/en/dfh/d/campaigns/5_days_of_dell_outlet_deals_dfh.aspx?dgc=SM&cid=63952&lid=1991912

Refurb U2711 comes out to be $569 without taxes.
Refurb U2412M is $239 without taxes.

Thanks for this, was about to pull the trigger on 3 of the U2313HM but was having issues getting the coupon to stack ( $F30LDDGR9BML1 for $90 off ) so I went with the U2412M instead, woop! Now to play the waiting game...

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

movax posted:

Asus wouldn't be a bad choice at all; you could also look at PVA/MVA ViewSonic or Samsungs. Just confirm the return/dead pixel policy of the retailer you choose.

Which models should I look at for the samsung/viewsonic? I have an old 17 inch syncmaster that I really like, wouldnt mind getting another. Also any opinion on the sub-200 asus IPS panel?

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
Ah, thanks guys! I might get the 2410 then :D

e: actually, the 2412M is also on sale. I just want a good quality screen for doing schoolwork and watching movies. Is the 2412M more appropriate? I don't care about accurate colour reproduction as much as a nice looking screen, and the reviews I'm reading on tftcentral seem to indicate that the 2412M works a bit better out of the box.

rearadmiral.rowboat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 6, 2011

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Pulled the trigger on a 2412M. I hope Dell's refurbished monitors aren't just warehoused monitors there were returned for dead pixels or something.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

movax posted:

I used the first one, but I think a slightly larger (wider) version would be good as the headline image for the thread.

e: and thread title changed, thanks SWSP! :swoon:

I made a 960px version. Hopefully no one is using any resolution less than that...

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

frunksock posted:

Same. I ordered black Friday with next-day shipping and they delayed until today, and then today delayed again until Friday. I got them to refund the next-day shipping, at least.

I'm in the same situation too, why the hell would they black friday a monitor they can't even ship.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Cool, I got 15% cashback from Discover on the 2410 order. $30 bucks, so it came out to 270!

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
I ordered the U2312 on 9/19 when it was $230 and it was in my city on Thanksgiving. It still hasn't been delivered nearly 2 weeks later. Just updated last night saying they were shipping it back to Tennessee, even though I've talked to them on the phone 5 times.

What the hell is going on with UPS? I get Amazon shipments from them on time every week.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I live in Covington which is literally a 45 second drive across the Ohio river from Cincinnati. I ordered something from Newegg and it sat in Cincinnati for 5 days before delivering it to my house.

UPS is so lovely, but so are all logistics companies... Don't get me started on importing from China... We've had $50,000-75,000 worth of products "on the truck" that should've been delivered a week ago, and our reps can't even tell us if it had even left the port of entry on the west coast. One time they told us that it had JUST left Alaska that day and an hour later it was delivered to our office...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Oh man, I just ordered a 2412M from Dell directly and payed for 2-day shipping since I wanted to get it before this weekend :smith:

Is something up with their shipping center?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Third Man posted:

Oh man, I just ordered a 2412M from Dell directly and payed for 2-day shipping since I wanted to get it before this weekend :smith:

It's December in a country that makes kind of a big deal out of winter festivals, and gift-giving during them. Draw your own conclusions.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'm kinda glad now that I paid a little extra over Dell's sale price and got my 2412s from Provantage...they arrived 2 days sooner than I was quoted.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

The Third Man posted:

If you pay for 2-Day shipping you should get 2-Day shipping. Its the ground orders that they don't care about.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Movax that is a fantastic OP

Have you still got any FW900s? Am I crazy for trying to track some down? I'm still dual CRT'ing a Hitachi CM823F & a NEC FP2141, with a spare 2141 for when either of them dies :sperg:

Having never used a FW900 myself, what did you upgrade to?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

RizieN posted:

If you pay for 2-Day shipping you should get 2-Day shipping. Its the ground orders that they don't care about.
I agree, you 'should.' However, I paid for next-day shipping on the 25th and my thrice-revised delivery estimate is now 12/9. I'm not super mad about it, just saying, at this time of year, don't count on anything, at least not with Dell.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Third Man posted:

Not only is it kinda getting towards busy season for package shipping, but Dell's shipping/tracking system has always been hosed up. I've gotten emails saying my stuff has shipped the day after it arrived. Seriously, their shipping estimates do not frequently have any relation to when it will actually get to you. Usually they estimate on the hilariously long side (saying it'll take 2+ weeks and then arriving at your house in 4 days), but between Black Friday and sales and such it doesn't surprise me that they're actually behind.

Kegwen posted:

Pulled the trigger on a 2412M. I hope Dell's refurbished monitors aren't just warehoused monitors there were returned for dead pixels or something.
From anecdotal stories in this thread it does seem that refurb/RMA monitors have a higher rate of defects than normal retail ones, but with the Ultrasharp guarantee you can keep trying until you get one that's perfect. And with Dell picking up the shipping tab both ways each time, it's in their interest to fix your issue in a minimal number of attempts.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

frunksock posted:

I agree, you 'should.' However, I paid for next-day shipping on the 25th and my thrice-revised delivery estimate is now 12/9. I'm not super mad about it, just saying, at this time of year, don't count on anything, at least not with Dell.

Call them and bitch. Next day air is expensive and they shouldn't get away with that poo poo. When we get next day orders they become priority and we ship them asap. I get so pissed that all these other companies get away with this poo poo and if someone has to wait an extra day on their ground order we never hear the end of it. We'd be out of business if we did that poo poo. And if you're buying monitors it's not like they have to build anything... we build CCTV DVRs in our warehouse and still get orders out on time.

At the least get your money back and only pay for ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
In my experience, bitching about stuff like that is productive with Dell. A few years back, I ordered a refurbished laptop and it took longer to ship than it took my main laptop to get to the repair depot and back. They refunded the shipping fee and upgraded me to next-day in return for not cancelling the order.